m3 trench knife

PDA

west.22
October 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know what an approximate value of this trench knife would be?

If you enjoyed reading about "m3 trench knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SharpsDressedMan
October 22, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm going to guess, in that condition, maybe $125-$150?

scramasax
October 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
It looks as if the finish has been taken off. This will greatly affect the value. Does it have a scabbard? Btw it is not a trench knife. It is a WWII m3 fighting knife, Trench knives were only from WWI. I'll check my books tomorrow About approximate values.

Cheers,

Ts

rcmodel
October 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well, it's an ACC, which according to Cole's book III is an unsubstantiated manufacture of WWII M3 knives.
In other words, there are no records of the AAC company, or any government contracts for them to make M3 Fighting knives during WWII.
That could be good for value, or bad.

It could be real WWII GI issue nobody can find records or history for?
Or it could have been pieced together out of surplus parts by somebody after the war and sold commercially??

The other thing is, the bottom guard has been bent all out of shape, as a mil-spec M3 would have a straight bottom guard and a bent forward top guard.
Yours appears to have been polished too.

Without a sheath, in the condition it's in?
Maybe a bill, maybe a little more if you get lucky.

rc

west.22
October 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
thanks, more than I thought it was worth. I did polish it a little, to remove rust.

rcmodel
October 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
Just so you know for the future.

Lightly removing rust with 0000 Super Fine steel wool & oil is good.
It stops the rust from progressing and doing further damage, without removing the old patina, or any remaining finish.

Polishing removes the rust, along with the patina & finish, and it also removes the collector value.

rc

west.22
October 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
thanks rc, good to know, i used mothers mag polish, so yeah, patina is gone.

scramasax
October 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
Blades guide to knife values does list the A.C.C. (probably Aerial) as $250-$300. The guard being bent is not necessarily a deal braeker to a collector if they need it to finish a collection. The price loss will be in the loss of patina. All price guides are just a guideline. I'd say a value would be in the $200-$250 range. Still it is a solid design knife and one I would not have an issue using.

Cheers,

ts

rcmodel
October 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
Btw it is not a trench knife. It is a WWII m3 fighting knife, Trench knives were only from WWI.Actually, the official name is M3 Trench Knife.
War department manufactures specs published Dec 30, 1942 called it the "M3 Trench Knife".

Specs for the early leather sheath for them published Jan 2, 1943 were for "Scabbard, Trench Knife, M8".

rc

west.22
October 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
thanks scramasax, and rc for the clarifications.

If you enjoyed reading about "m3 trench knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!