bullet stick in .22 rifle barrel

PDA

floritucky
October 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
what is the best way to get it out without hurting the barrel. its my grandfathers rifle that was passed down to me. would prefer not to have to have anything replaced.

remington 550-1 semi auto. i was shooting those powederless rounds, i have never had an issue out of them from a rifle, and have shot about 100 or so out of this one in the past few days. only in researching just now did i see, that this is something that does happen with these powderless rounds in rifles. leason learned. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet stick in .22 rifle barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double_J
October 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
you can do what I did to get a bullet out of a pistol barrel. I used a cleaning rod, hammer/mallet, and a fair amount of patience to drive it out. I have also heard of people using brass rods, wooden dowel rods, and steel all-thread (I don't think that would be the best way) and the above hammer/mallet. Whatever you do, take your time and go slow.

floritucky
October 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
i was actually going yo use the cleaning rod, as thats all i have that will fit, i just didnt know if it would damage the rifling in the barrel or something. thanks for the reply. will go give it a shot.

ApacheCoTodd
October 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
I dribble Kroil alteranting from both ends and let it sit a bit then use a rod with a cut-off, flat ended former tip component like a solid jag. Tap tap with a delrin hammer. That's it and that's that. .22s usually come out easier than one worries they might. Slow and oily's the word.

Jim K
October 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
Pull the bullet from a .22 LR case, dump out about half the powder, use a small cotton wad to keep the rest of the powder in, and fire it.

DON'T FIRE A BULLET BEHIND THE OBSTACLE! EVER!

(No, it won't blow the barrel off, or bulge it, or blow up and wipe out the county. Believe it or not, that is the way gunsmiths get obstructions out of barrels.)

And quit using that popgun ammo!

Jim

ApacheCoTodd
October 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
I thought about this ^^^ but not knowing the cycling particulars of the OP's semi, I figured to shy away from it.

It'd be cool if it worked though.

AABEN
October 23, 2012, 10:18 PM
A good brass welding rod will do the job! Go to a welding supplier and buy a long one then get one that is bigger for a 38.

Jim, West PA
October 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
Jeesh, just use a hardwood wooden dowel and a hammer.
It WILL push right out.

The very same proceedure as 'slugging' a Bbl.

BBBBill
October 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
Wood has been known to splinter and jamb it tighter.

1KPerDay
October 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Do NOT use wood.

W.E.G.
October 24, 2012, 12:58 AM
When you stick the cleaning rod in the barrel, you can also post to this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=666126&highlight=stuck+barrel

StrawHat
October 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
A good brass rod sligtly smaller than bore diameter will work. I have used similar to push larger projectiles from rifle bores. Wood rods, dowels, etc., can splinter and leave you with a worse mess than what you have now.

SlamFire1
October 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Do not use wood, once it breaks off in the barrel things will get far worse.

This guy ended up breaking a .22LR lower with a stuck cleaning rod, be very thoughtful in what you do.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8252264#post8252264

If you can find a steel dowel that fits in the barrel and break all sharp edges on the thing, that may be the best way to go. Softer metals may bend and jam in the barrel.

Your first step will either be a success or failure so don't get in a hurry.

j1
October 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
I had the same thing happen using Colibri powderless rounds and the gun store owner said not to use them in rifles. It is s really light bullet almost like a pellet gun pellet. I just used a cleaing rod and it pushed out very easily. They work great out of revolvers.

ghitch75
October 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
brass rod.......NO WOOD!!!....

highorder
October 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
The 20gr clobri rounds will easily push right out. They are short bullets with very little bearing surface. I got one stuck in my old Springfield model 15. A cleaning rod with minimal pressure pushed it right out.

natman
October 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
Use a brass rod, not wood

Use a muzzle protector

Oil the bore

PUSH, not hammer, the bullet out from the muzzle to the breach. It's soft lead it should push fairly easily

tango2echo
October 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have had success using an air compressor with a rubber tipped spray bib on .22LR. Point barrel in safe direction, set compressor regulator to 120+ PSI (mine is closer to 150PSI), and press rubber tip tightly to chamber and blow it out.

I did this with a stuck 40gr bullet in a 10/22 barrel recently and it easily pushed it 10-11" down and out of the barrel. Took about 2 seconds.

If you enjoyed reading about "bullet stick in .22 rifle barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!