Email

PDA

blarby
October 24, 2012, 04:53 AM
I know that we have two methods for "messaging" @ thr.

One is a private message.

The other is an "e-mail".

Its the E-Mail I don't fully understand.

Does this mean that, for instance, there is a blarby@thrawesomeforum.com, or something to that effect ?

It says that by sending someone an email, that it gives them your address... How exactly does that work ?

Is there any way to message in to THR without logging in, for example ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Email" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
October 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
Sending someone an email via THR sends the mail to the email the user has on file. Members have to choose to allow others to email them (privacy options, I think?).

John, great to be back in the States! :D

blarby
October 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
Ok, so emailing them from within THR uses your email address as the sending email address, and mails the item to their :

A THR "mail" inbox

or

B. Outside of THR "email"

Walkalong
October 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
It emails to whatever email you have on file here. If I clicked "send an email to blarby" (Or whatever it says), it will go to balrby@hisprovider.com etc, etc, whatever the email on file is. Outside of THR.

Mal H
October 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
... except that blarby, like many members, doesn't make his email address public. So no one can email him, or the others, from within THR.

blarby
October 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
... except that blarby, like many members, doesn't make his email address public. So no one can email him, or the others, from within THR.

Which is part of what I didn't understand.

If it was simply an email to your THR inbox, which I believed it was, I didn't get the point, or difference, between that and an IM.

Now I do, and will change it !

But in essence, if you want to email someone within THR, you must do it within THR, not from an external provider- is what I am getting.

Sam1911
October 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
But in essence, if you want to email someone within THR, you must do it within THR, not from an external provider- is what I am getting.There really is no provision to email someone "within" THR. THR just gives you a quick way to find their email address and send a note to them a that address -- IF they've entered one.

To communicate with someone HERE on THR you'd use the Private Message system, and no, you can't email from "outside" into their PM Inbox.

blarby
October 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
you can't email from "outside" into their PM Inbox.

Thats essentially what I was looking for.

Thank you very much !

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
There are two methods members can use to communicate with each other. One is a Private Message (PM). The other is via email. Each of these methods can be enabled and disabled independently by the user in the control panel. One can see the options a user has by going to that user's profile and clicking the contact info tab.

If enabled, you will see something like this:

Send a Message to Jorg
http://images.thehighroad.org/buttons/sendtofriend.gif Send a private message to Jorg spacer http://images.thehighroad.org/buttons/sendtofriend.gifSend a message via email to Jorg

Clicking the first one will send a PM. PMs are entirely internal* to the forum. They live in the forum's database. They are accessed and managed through the forum's web page. The only information shared are the usernames.

The second link will present a form. This form is used to send email on your behalf to another user via the THR system. That message will be sent from the forum to that user's email address. As noted on the email form, your email addressed will be included. The recipient gets something like this:

To: yourname@youremailprovider.com
Subject: Test message

This is a message from Jorg at THR ( http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php ). The THR owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email Jorg, you can use this online form:
http://www.thehighroad.org/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=28525

OR, by email:
mailto:jorgsrealemailaddress@mailserver.com

This is the message:

Your message here.

The recipient can respond directly via their email client or use the same form to send a message back. Once sent, the email message goes off into the ether and exists in the user's mailbox, but that on their ISP, gmail, yahoo, or whatever.

Hopefully that clears things up.

* Except for email notifications, if enabled.

blarby
October 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
That does.

Asked and answered, indeed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Email" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!