Lake City 30 Carbine

PDA

ArmsAkimber
October 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
I recently received a large quantity of Lake City 30 Carbine brass. It is all headstamped 52. I like to know if anyone is aware if I need be concerned with brass of this vintage and if it needs any additional special handling.

It was sold unfired and deprimed. The primer pockets are not staked, which I thought was unusual, but this may have been the norm for 30 Carbine, for all I know.

I understand that there is LC52-marked brass out there which is Chinese counterfeit stuff. This brass is boxer primed, as you can see from the attached image, so I don't think that is a concern.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lake City 30 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
October 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
I can't remember for sure if .30 Carbine primers were crimped or not...."I don't think so". But I do believe the issue with the Chinese bootleg LC52 was with corrosive primers. Not sure if they were Berdan or Boxer.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

USSR
October 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
The counterfeit Chinese .30 Carbine ammo was berdan primed, so no worries there. I have reloaded just about every USGI .30 Carbine case going, and the only ones that I have found to have crimped primers are the Winchester ones (WRA, WCC, etc.).

Don

HOWARD J
October 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
That looks like great brass
I just picked up 500 110gr SN bullets ( PPU ) from graf & Son---good price
Have fun reloading
I use light loads for target for rifle--12.8 gr H110
for Ruger handgun -----------up to 14.5 gr H110---what a flame

medalguy
October 26, 2012, 12:27 AM
Probably not a concern this go-around, but if you reload these be sure to watch the case length. The carbine round headspaces on the case mouth so you may need to trim every time you load these cases and length is critical. Many but not all of mine need trimming every reload.

USSR
October 26, 2012, 07:46 AM
Probably not a concern this go-around, but if you reload these be sure to watch the case length. The carbine round headspaces on the case mouth so you may need to trim every time you load these cases and length is critical. Many but not all of mine need trimming every reload.

+1.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Lake City 30 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!