120 grain BST for white tail, too soft?

PDA

TheSwede
October 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hi!

What do you guys think of using 120 grain BST in 6,5x55 for small deer like white tail (not big males) and placing the shot behind the shoulder bone?
Velocity around 2820 fps.

Regards!

If you enjoyed reading about "120 grain BST for white tail, too soft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bpl
October 25, 2012, 05:51 PM
BST = ballistic tip?

If so, I think you'll have a dead deer as a result. :D

bpl
October 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Of course if you hit the shoulder it may look like a bomb went off :what:

I thought you Swedes twisted your swedes to favor the heavier bullets...

TheSwede
October 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
Yes thats correct I guess. I use my .30-06 with swift 150grain hard bonded bullets at velocities around 3000 fps as my allround hunting load. Becouse where I hunt you dont know if there will be an Moose, small deer or big wild boars! When im only hunting moose or boar I use a .366 caliber with a 286 grain bonded bullet loaded to 2362 fps.

Tomorrow we are going to hunt deer (not males) and the moose season is over on our land. But both my .366 caliber and the .30-06 is getting new stocks, right now in bedding process. So I have my 6,5x55 loaded with 120 grain ballistic tip wich I normaly use for red foxes and other pretador hunt. I just wanna be safe that the bullet can penetrate a smaller deer. I've have very little experience in ballistic tip.

Thanks for the answeres!

critter
October 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
The deer I get to hunt are not large-perhaps 150-165# is a big one around here.

I use Nosler BT's in the following applications:
30-06, 150 gr
300 Win Mag, 150 gr
30-30 in a TC Contender-super 14", 125 gr
25-06, 100 gr
Each and every one of those have been VERY effective on those deer. I get PLENTY of penetration and lots of damage. Blood trails, if and when needed, are easy to follow and are short.

I do not 'hot rod' any of these to the extreme limit of possible velocities, just middle of the road handloads. Accuracy it VERY GOOD with all these which is why I like them so much.

While I do not use your caliber, I would wager that it will do the job for you in a very effective way. Good luck.

Sav .250
October 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
When you say "deer" what are you talking about? Your term is a little different then ours. You have a couple of different type ....that`s why I ask.
If it`s the smaller ones (Roe) Then your 120 gr is certainly more than enough. If it`s a larger type....no problem.
Hunters over here use all sort of different gr bullets. I use 87 gr on deer no matter their size. No problem. I make sure my shoot selection is good. That`s the only caveat. :)

Kachok
October 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
I use 120gr ballistic tips in my 6.5x55 (2900fps), I have had great sucess with them, they go in quick and clean, but expand rappidly about 2" in, at close range they make a NASTY fragmentation pattern that traverses the vitals and lodge in the far rib cage. All bullets thus far have penatrated completly with 1.5-2" exit wounds and plenty of blood. Exceptional performance, I will continue to use them.
CAUTION: Keep your shots in the neck or behind the shoulder, as with all Ballistic Tips meat damage at high impact speeds is excessive if you shoot through the shoulder.

Lloyd Smale
October 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
ive killed well over a 100 deer with balistic tips in various calbers and all those deer have one thing in common. They ended up on my dinner plate.

Zeke/PA
October 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
Bullets?
Concentrate MORE on shot placement.
Sorry guys , I am a fan of the Late,Great Jack O'Conner.
Nuff Said!

Captcurt
October 28, 2012, 02:28 PM
Not a big fan of the BT for deer. I think that they are one of the most accurate bullets for the money but they open up to fast for me. I have shot deer with the Swede, 260, 270 and 30-06 using BT and always had a mess if I hit bone. Lately I have compramised and have gone to the Accubond. They are just as accurate and still hold together when striking bone. I took a whitetail at 40 yards with a 257 Weatherby and the 110 Accubond. Bullet entered the front of the shoulder, broke 4 ribs and was recovered against the pelvis. Nice mushroom and retained 67% of it's weight. If it can do that when started at 3400 fps it can stand up to any of the butt kicking rounds.

TheSwede
October 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the response. Today i shot a roe deer at 200 yards thru the front shoulder and out behind rear shoulder. Both lungs were moshed. The bullet acted perfect! I was supriced when I saw the tiny exit hole. But i also understand that if theres bigger deer i have place the shot behind the shoulders. This roe deer was small and the bones were thin.

Kachok
October 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
^ You will get more damage through the vitals and a larger exit if you step the speed up a bit, I push 2900fps but with the 6.5x55 you can push them north of 3000 without going overpressure, the trade off is more meat damage if you shoot through the shoulder. I find the 120gr BT to be plenty of bullet on our local whitetail, very similar results to the 130gr BTs I shoot in my 270.
BTW Good job on that roe deer :D

Captcurt
October 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
I forgot to mention Nosler's 100 gr Partition. You can crank it over 3000 fps easily.

TheSwede
October 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
Thanks! It was a great stalking moment and my Sako never let me down on distance shots. I was thinking about 3000 fps and would love that becouse of the flatter trajectory but then think i would prefer a harder bullet.

interlock
October 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
hi swede,
the 6.5 x 55 is a great round, much appreciatted because of the high sectional density of the bullet.

I also shoot a lot of roe. I have to say that i do not really rate ballistic tips (my opinion only) i would look to use the 129 - 140 gr soft point bullets and punch through the pocket, through the top of the heart and lungs. the difference in trajectory is not very much.

other posters have spoken about roe being a small deer and a lighter calibre and bullet is fine.... i dont agree. we should not try to go as light as we can. we should look to kill as humanely and quickly as we can.

i have found that since i moved away from .243 and up to 7mm08 and 30-06 the deer are killed more quickly and run less.

Patocazador
October 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not aware of what bullets are available in Sweden but if the old model (varmint) ballistic tip is what you are using, it is the same as a hollow point used for varmints. They also have ballistic tips for hunting big game which have thicker jackets and don't "blow up" as easily.
I once shot a ~110 lb. spike with an 87 grain hollow point (.257 Roberts) and hit the shoulder. It fragmented and the crippled deer was lost because of no penetration. The same combination would have dropped the deer on the spot if I had hit 6 inches farther back. I no longer use frangible bullets for deer hunting.

Clark
October 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lloyd Smale

ive killed well over a 100 deer with balistic tips in various calbers and all those deer have one thing in common. They ended up on my dinner plate.
WOW!
And I thought I was on a killing spree.

I have killed 15 animals with Nosler Ballistic tips.
The first 11 were 270 130 gr 2875 fps.
The last 4 were 257 115 gr 3050 fps.

I killed some other animals with Hornady SST and Berger hunting VLD, but I am back to ballistic tips.

What bullets I believe in is based on anecdotes, but it is all I have to go on. I am a Nolser ballistic tip person.

I like the bang - flop results.

Kachok
October 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
I have a hard time thinking of anything bad to say about the performance of BTs on deer, they tend to be very accurate, they expand quickly (and reliably), they create a massive wound tract, and they always seem to give me a nice exit wound (not that I ever need to track them) I am sure the SGK guys, TSX nuts, and core-lokt fanatics could make similar claims and they would be right as well. Nearly all bullets I have loaded to date have performed as intended with the exception of some of the uber cheap stuff.
BTW I load Ballistic Tips in 6.5x55, 270WSM, 7mm-08, 308 win, and 30-06 across the board I am very pleased with Nosler's products.

Lloyd Smale
October 30, 2012, 08:40 AM
WOW!
And I thought I was on a killing spree.

I have killed 15 animals with Nosler Ballistic tips.
The first 11 were 270 130 gr 2875 fps.
The last 4 were 257 115 gr 3050 fps.

I killed some other animals with Hornady SST and Berger hunting VLD, but I am back to ballistic tips.

What bullets I believe in is based on anecdotes, but it is all I have to go on. I am a Nolser ballistic tip person.

I like the bang - flop results.

clark ive been doing crop damage shooting for about 10 years now and shoot at least 50 deer a year so i get a good chance to test bullets and differnent calibers. I chuckle at guys who feel they need a premium bullet to kill a deer. In my opinion cup and core bullets actually do better and all the crap about excessive meat damage with them is just that, Crap! Id bet if you could prove it the guys that complain about the meat damage with them are in two camps. One is the type who just repeats bs thats posted on the internet to make himself sound like he knows what hes talking about and the second is the guy that shot maybe one deer with them and had some bloodshot meat and then determined that they were no good. Hit a deer in the shoulder with any bullet, be it a barns tsx, nos partition, nos bt or a sierra and your going to loose that shoulder and probably both shoulders. A premium bullet will guarantee that you loose both. Hit them behind the shoulder with any bullet and your going to loose the ribs and deer ribs about arent worth the bother anyway. Behind the shoulder with a cup and core and you will about allways get a quicker kill and do less tracking then you will with a premium bullet. You can even twist this advice into caliber recomendations. I hear all the time about how mag rifles tear up meat. Put a 7mag behind the shoulder and you wont loose any more meat then with a 308. Hit the shoulder and either will ruin the shoulders. Me, if theres a possibility of 300 plus yards in the hunt give me a mag of some kind and load it with bts or sierras thank you.

TheSwede
October 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Well we have all the bullets in the world just like you guys. The thing is that we have to order it, I guess you can get shop bullets in the supermarket ;) :D But when it comes to ammunition we are very limited to sako,lapua and norma amunition.
Didnt knew ballistic tip was made as both varmint bullet and big game bullet? I do know Accubond has a thicker bonded jacket.

Clark
October 31, 2012, 03:20 PM
There are Nosler Ballistic tip varmint bullets and then there are Nosler Ballistic tip Hunting bullets.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Ballistic-Tip-Varmint.aspx

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Ballistic-Tip.aspx

TheSwede
November 1, 2012, 12:40 AM
Ok thanks! The ballistic tip hunting bullet is the common bullet here and the one i got.

If you enjoyed reading about "120 grain BST for white tail, too soft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!