sub sonic rounds

PDA

TexasPatriot.308
October 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
OK, I am an old timer. I hear about sub sonic rounds at just over 1050 fps, in calibers that normally go in excess of 2700 fps, what is their prupose, their effeciveness and any reason to chamber one in a regular bolt acion rifle....I just dont get it, us old timers are in the dark. thanks for info.

If you enjoyed reading about "sub sonic rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
T Bran
October 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
It seems that supressors dont supress supersonic bullets very well.

cfullgraf
October 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Suppressors muffle the noise created from the combustion of the powder, much like the muffler on your car.

Suppressors do nothing for the sonic boom from a supersonic bullet. Hence, suppressed firearms use subsonic loads.

mr.trooper
October 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
Well, for one, reduced sub sonic and barely hyper sonic loadings don't blow the heck out of smaller critters.

They also don't make nearly as much noise as standard loads, and don't over penetrate targets nearly so much - both important for use on semi rural property.

barnbwt
October 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
Some rifles just like slower loads better, too: my MP161K 22LR runs quite a bit better with subsonic Remington ammo than "hot" jacketed bullets like the "Yellow Jackets". Probably just as effective on lil critters, too.

However, I have no clue why they make subsonic 5.7x28, since the slow speeds would render the expensive, hi-tech round into something closer to a 22short :scrutiny:. It would be nice to have a can on mine, but just for the muzzle blast aspect...

TCB

If you enjoyed reading about "sub sonic rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!