Don't laugh. Eating suburban squirrels?

PDA

Tallbald
October 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Gray squirrels are decimating the black walnuts I have out to dry under a screen frame. Little beggars have learned to move the screen and get the nuts, choosing to eat them right on my patio and littering the hulls everywhere. Hey. I grew up small game hunting, and my share of whitetail. I haven't had fresh squirrel in years. I do have a pellet rifle and am darn fine with it here in town. One neighbor two doors down though feeds them then gets angry at her big cat for killing them, despite the lady being told to not leave peanuts out for the little tree rats, so I didn't bother asking her if she cares.Neighbors say "have at 'em Don", and it's legal on my on property
Now this: Reckon it's safe to eat suburban squirrel what with weed killers and fertilizers city folks use? Don

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't laugh. Eating suburban squirrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
a98kdoc
October 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
Check you'r regs.
If you are in city limits it can be a felony to soot a pellet rifle or BB gun.
Some places it is and this can include a bow and arrow. Trapping can be forbidden to.
I'd look it up or move I live out side of town.

Art Eatman
October 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
Nothing bad happened to me and my housemates, back a number of years ago when I demonstrated the quiet efficacy of a long-barrelled .22 rifle and CB Caps on tree rats. We ate some pretty good suppers. :)

HOWARD J
October 26, 2012, 07:35 PM
I feed mine chocolate cookies--they are nice & fat
I have been tempted but I don't want to be in court

Tallbald
October 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
As to regs, I'm in an annexed area (city police/fire, county schools). Don't care bout no goldang rules....they's a eatin my food!. And things can be a little more forgiving here in the south too. Nobody seems to care if I test fire new handguns down into our garden (another area the squirrels decimate each season).My only concern is cleanliness of the meat. I won't eat suburban rabbits because they eat treated grass, but I'm not sure about tree dwellers. Don

Certaindeaf
October 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
They should be fine. They mainly eat nuts, seeds, bark, new shoots etc.. oh, and especially walnuts.. I've got one out back.

Tallbald
October 26, 2012, 08:07 PM
I thought so too, but thought i'd bounce it off some others. Thanks. Don

MCgunner
October 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Why not trap 'em? Me, I'd go the CB short route or perhaps the 177 crossman. :D

Squirrel dumplin's, fried squirrel, squirrel stew, squirrel soup, squirrel pot pie......
BUBBA?! ANYBODY SEEN BUBBA?!

Tallbald
October 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
I have a scoped Webley Stingray .22 pellet rifle. A hard hitter, it punctures a tin (not just aluminum) can at 20 yards and shoots groups of 5 covered with a dime. Not being nasty or graphic, but just as a for instance, it will remove the back side of a rabbits head at 20 paces. I have no doubt about a clean kill.
Traps are pricey (except rat traps) and I still have to kill them to eat them. I'd rather use what I have on hand if I can. Potatoes, carrots, beef stew seasoning,bay leaf, butter, biscuit mix, etc etc. Don

Bush Pilot
October 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
Gray squirrels are decimating the black walnuts I have out to dry under a screen frame. Little beggars have learned to move the screen and get the nuts, choosing to eat them right on my patio and littering the hulls everywhere. Hey. I grew up small game hunting, and my share of whitetail. I haven't had fresh squirrel in years. I do have a pellet rifle and am darn fine with it here in town. One neighbor two doors down though feeds them then gets angry at her big cat for killing them, despite the lady being told to not leave peanuts out for the little tree rats, so I didn't bother asking her if she cares.Neighbors say "have at 'em Don", and it's legal on my on property
Now this: Reckon it's safe to eat suburban squirrel what with weed killers and fertilizers city folks use? Don
If you think the neighbor lady gets pissed at her cat, wait until she sees you with a gun in one hand a a squirrel in the other.

T.R.
October 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
I know a guy who lives within Detroit, MI city limits. He shoots squirrels with 22 shorts and never gives the matter a second thought.

Chunky squirrel gravy served over biscuits is a genuine treat!

TR

MCgunner
October 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
In Detroit, the sound of a .22 would be odd, but hardly audible over the gunfire from the AKs and such. :rolleyes:

janobles14
October 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
eat the fool out of them. sounds like a great local source to me!

HOWARD J
October 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
Detriot police usually only come to pick up bodies.
My sister still lives in Detriot---she called the police for a burglary at her home.
They told her to come to the station to complain.
It really is a GRATE city. You just don't want to live there.

T Bran
October 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
I say go for it. Many a squirrel both city and country has graced my table and I I I I'm ok.

Nothin like a mess of fried tree rats and gravy.

LeonCarr
October 28, 2012, 01:18 AM
A buddy who lives in a town of 6500 people has three pecan trees in his back yard and one year did not get a single pecan from his trees due to squirrels.

In the next six months he shot 63 squirrels with .22 CB caps and a long barreled Winchester single shot. The neighbors were none the wiser.

Every one of them got consumed with no ill effects.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Tallbald
October 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks to everybody that responded. The lady down the street who feeds the dang things and yells at her cat for killing them won't say anything because my wife will verbally set her straight in short order. Nobody messes with my girl, and when she's around, nobody messes with me. My baby is little, but is like a bumble bee if you dare hassle her or her flock. She once called 911 while on the road and followed a dangerous driver at the dispatcher's request until several police cars could converge on the offender. Thank goodness she's on my side........... Don

Certaindeaf
October 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
If you don't want to make noise and have a collandar, this is probably the way to roll..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

desidog
October 28, 2012, 02:30 PM
I assume you don't eat fast food or pre-processed stuff like frozen breakfast sausages.... Cause those probably have more and worse stuff in them.

Jim, West PA
October 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
Live trap a red squirrel and turn it loose in yer yard.(they are a grey squirrels worst enemy )
It'll kill and or run all the greys out in short order then in a few weeks shoot the red.

Steve2md
November 1, 2012, 01:55 AM
tie a few rat traps to the tree trunks as well. bait them with peanut butter. Then use the air gun to get the ones that are easy pickin. That way, you can get them 24 hrs a day! You'll be armpit deep in squirrel meat in no time!

Gtscotty
November 1, 2012, 06:55 AM
I have to say, Certaindeaf's squirrel-apult is the only logical option here. If you launch all of your squirrels into the neighbor woman's yard, you can defend your walnuts, she can have all the squirrels she wants, and her cat won't go hungry.... everybody wins.

Sniper66
November 1, 2012, 01:42 PM
The rat traps are a great idea and won't risk getting you in trouble. My neighbor and I are the pest removers in my neighborhood and the rest of the neighbors quietly approve. We have zapped the squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional possum. As a result we have healthy landscaping and lots of birds. Occasionally a deer will wander in and eat some plants, but I'll live with that. Been tempted to snuff a coyote with my .223, but that would REALLY get me in trouble, even if he runs off with a cat. The squirrels are tasty.

drsfmd
November 1, 2012, 02:14 PM
Rat traps... the old trick I learned is to take a whole walnut, and drill a hole through it. Wire it to the pan of the rat trap (you may have to play with the trigger a bit to get it to hold the weight of the walnut). Squirrels can't resist their favorite food, and WHAM... dead squirrel. Nearly 100% effective.

ScrapMetalSlug
November 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
I've dropped a few city squirrels with the cheapo 40 dollar wal mart pellet gun back in college. I just picked out the one in the cheap range than shot the highest fps, 700 something. Worked fine, just had to do it covertly through the blinds with the window open. Then calmly walked out and picked up the squirrels. Don't display the gun publicly and you should be fine.
I guess you could also try the large rat traps with nuts or peanut butter to get them.

wankerjake
November 5, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'd eat 'em. A little weed killer will put hair on your chest. :D

Honestly I would feel safe eating them.

rugerman
November 5, 2012, 07:11 PM
Take a rat trap, screw it to a tree or post bait it with peanut butter. You will have to move it from time to time once they figure it out but it works well.

Arkansas Paul
November 5, 2012, 07:42 PM
I've done it more than once when I was a kid. No I'll effects.

d2wing
November 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
I use a tuned QB78 .22 cal co2 pellet gun from Mike at Flying Dragon air guns. At real close range or to be really quiet I use a Daisy .177 Target gun. Either one is good for target practice too. I tried CB caps, to loud and too much range. A GAMO bone collector is the worst piece of junk I have ever owned. Loud flimsy, inaccurate terrible scope and trigger.

a-sheepdog
November 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
As long as its legal, I think that you are pretty safe eating them, at least in my opinion.

armedwalleye
November 6, 2012, 08:29 PM
"It's legal on my property"....Per the OP.

Have at it. They taste like chicken.

Do you really care about the neighbor's opinion? After all, she IS "cat people".

Bushpilot
November 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
Kind of pathetic IMO that we live in a society that has "progressed" to the point where anyone feels the need to be concerned about the legalities involved with discharging a pellet gun on your own property in the pursuit of squirrels. As far as eating them is concerned, I wouldn't be at all surprised if neighborhood squirrels are healthier to eat then the chickens at the local super market, but that is just a guess on my part.

LordDunsany
November 8, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't get around too well these days but still get to do plenty of hunting from my patio chair. A pump-up Crosman for small game (mice, rats and tree-rats) and a .22 with CB caps for big game (possums etc.)

I don't eat the tree-rats as the wife had to live on them as a kid and can't stand the thought of fried squirrel, but I do take the furs and tails for fishing lures and other projects.

Waste not want not...

By the way, we are now able to get a few things from the garden, which had been eaten up by pests previously. And don't waste your time on Hav-A-Hart traps because the little bastiches are too clever to go into them. Rat traps with peanut butter are the way to go if you can't shoot them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't laugh. Eating suburban squirrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!