Picked up my first HiPower

PDA

Opie
February 1, 2003, 01:01 AM
I know this post really doesnt add to the knowledge base here, but my wife won't listen to me rant about it, so you will!

Most of the custom work was done by Jim Stroh at AlphaPrecision including a match bar-sto barrel, C&S wide trigger and trigger and reliability package. Cylinder and Slide dovtailed and installed the Novak sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up my first HiPower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Airwolf
February 1, 2003, 01:04 AM
Rats!

Got drool on my ThinkPad! :D

Very, very nice!

Zak Smith
February 1, 2003, 01:26 AM
Very nice.

Here's a picture of my second BHP. It a stock MKIII I bought used, with rubber grips.

http://demigod.org/~zak/tmp/bhp/moorecd_bhp-small.jpg

My other BHP is out being customized by Ted Yost.

Enjoy.

-z

10-Ring
February 1, 2003, 01:35 AM
Knowledge base is one thing, pride in ownership & appreciating a piece of art is another! Congrats!

Wildalaska
February 1, 2003, 01:43 AM
Nice! Nice! Nice!

Wildcanipostapicofmineagain?Alaska

Hal
February 1, 2003, 06:19 AM
Sweet pic Opie.
Looks like it has the right grips too. Both my HP's have Spegel Grips on em.

Ninj500
February 1, 2003, 08:17 AM
Your one of us crazy Hi-Power people now. I can't wait to see the pictures of your second, third and fourth. For some reason BHP's always eventually appear in multiples. Congrats on the new one, it's a beautiful example of the best handgun ever designed.

tlhelmer
February 1, 2003, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know the specs of a BHP?

Just trying to add to the knowledge base by asking a good question ;)

beemerb
February 1, 2003, 08:29 PM
VERY NICE. I just got mine back from the smith.All I had done was a reblue.I am happy with it just the way it is.
Bob

Gary A
February 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
Thelmer - off the top of my head. Length, approx 7 3/4 inches. Height, approx 5 inches depending on type of sights (with metal magazine basepads, a little more with the rubber basepads). Weight, approx 32 ounces including empty magazine. Barrel Length, a little under 4 3/4 inches. Thickness, approx 1.3 inches...all in the butt, slide and frame is very svelte. Capacity as designed, 13 rounds 9mm parabellum (10 in U.S. so everyone can feel so much safer...). The .40 version is 3 or 4 ounces heavier (all in the slide) and has a capacity of 10 regardless. The .40 also has an extra locking lug (3 versus 2 in the 9mm).

JeepDriver
February 1, 2003, 08:46 PM
I just picked up my MK III last Thursday.

I've been looking for some one to do an extended beaver tail, combat hammer, mag disconnect removal, trigger job, and a Bar Sto. If I can afford all that work I'll be looking for someone to check the front strap.

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 05:10 AM
Nice pic,nice gun.:)

Tom B
February 2, 2003, 07:22 PM
Opie - Thats a fine looking BHP and I am surprised its your first as I know from postings at TFL that you have owned many handguns. Jim at Alpha did the trigger on my BHP also (he is about one hour away from me). I know your BHP will be a keeper.Enjoy!

tlhelmer
February 2, 2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks Gary.

I was wondering how it compared in size to my Beretta 96-G

Dave Markowitz
February 2, 2003, 10:25 PM
Ooh, very nice!

Welcome to the High Power club.

Steve F
February 3, 2003, 11:55 AM
Very nice !:D And welcome to the BHP fan club:cool: I've got 3 myself;) Note to self,...get some Spegels!

Bartholomew Roberts
February 3, 2003, 01:41 PM
Good looking Hi-Power... they'll multiply on you if you don't watch them.

BevrFevr
February 3, 2003, 02:24 PM
Any probs with hammer bite? looks like that hammer reachs way back.

Sexy pistol just the same.
-bevr

Opie
February 3, 2003, 07:44 PM
I was scared at first, especially since I have meaty hands, but I was never bit one time with it. I had planned on taking a little off the back of it, but since it doesnt bite me I am not going to mess with it. This puppy is one hell of a shooter, and i am not gonna fix what aint broke.

Brian

Opie
February 3, 2003, 07:54 PM
Novaks

BevrFevr
February 4, 2003, 01:07 PM
I realized I am addicted. I'm not trying to be cute with AA type jokes.

I used to want a better job so I could buy more toys like this. I got said job and I buy more toys but it's not enough. Just bought a Ruger mkII two weeks ago. Now I'm burning for a Firestorm mini .45 and an HP. Not to mention a Mauser and M700 .308. Of and one of everthing kel tec makes. A couple more cz's would be nice and a single action .45.

All the while the car and the house need work. Student Loans, credit repair, house payments, buy a ring for the little woman. Ugh! And all I really want is the aformentioned list of goodies. I'm going freaking nuts.

sorry I just had to get that out.

Still a sexy HP -bevr

Opie
February 4, 2003, 03:14 PM
If you buy her a ring you can pretty much forget the guns you want. Just a heads up.

Brian

firestar
February 4, 2003, 05:10 PM
I have wanted one for years but people want crazy cash for them. I won't pay $600 for a used gun that is not rare. Why don't people want to sell me BHPs cheap? Oh wait, I know why. I guess I will just have to pony up the dough sooner or later if I want one.

Opie
February 4, 2003, 07:19 PM
I think Brownings just keep value better than other guns.

There are also not as many smiths that work on BHPs, and the wait for one is usually several months. When someone sells a gun worked on by a good BHP smith it usually holds value extremely well.

I paid $900ish for this one.

trimation
February 4, 2003, 08:50 PM
I too am a Hi-power owner and I think this one is the nicest one I have seen.

http://www.customarms.com/images/browning1.jpg

Gary A
February 5, 2003, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty much a novice Hi-Power guy. I had an FEG PJK-9HP which I liked but ended up trading toward something I wanted more. Then I found a like new MkIII Hi-Power which ended up being being a gift to an old, old friend. By that time, HPs were gettin' to be pretty darned scarce. Oh well. Recently the dealer I buy from (I tend to be pretty loyal to a place that treats me well) got one of the Silver Chrome Hi-Powers in 9mm but at the same time got a beautiful, I mean beautiful, pristine 1977 vintage Belgian made Hi-Power, blue with the smallish adjustables. I couldn't make up my mind so guess what? I bought the Silver Chrome and put the Belgian on lay-away. I ended up trading off some pretty good stuff plus a little cash and probably paid too much but...Just today, some Pau Ferro smooth grips from Hogue arrived and I replaced the Pachmayrs on the Silver Chrome HP. As soon as I picked up the HP with the new grips I just plain sighed...I have bought some good things over the years (not as many years as some of you) and have made some mistakes both in buying and trading and have a few regrets of ones that got away. All this is in pursuit of finding those things which I hope will be with me when I'm an old man (not near far enough away). Although not really a single-action auto type, the HP is so classic, so good looking, and feels so good in my hand that I know the two Hi-Powers I now have are very likely to be among those that remain when much else is forgotten. I might end up being a single-action auto guy yet. Someone once wrote something to the effect that the great thing about the 9mm Parabellum is not so much the cartridge as the guns which chamber it. Makes sense to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up my first HiPower" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!