Beretta Nano Review

PDA

TheProf
October 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Initial first day report:

Reliability =

Note that this gun is known for (and I know this from personal experience...unfortunately) having many "failure to extract" issues when using light powered 115 grain Winchester White Box. (Out of 100 rounds, I had at least 6 "failures to extract" issues.)

But when using hotter loads... performed 100%.
Fired 50 rounds of 115 grain JHP Federal HiShoks... 100%
Fired 40 Winchester PDX1 JHP 9mm +p (124 grain) ... 100%

Other comments:

1. A true pocket 9mm. Fits in front pocket jeans with no problem. It's actually smaller than my j-frame. My j-frame slightly "peeks" out of my front jeans pocket. But the nano is completely hidden within the pocket.

2. It's thin and sleek.
3. Built like a tank.
4. It has a long trigger pull. (This is a good thing for a pocket gun.)
5. Good usable sights.
6. It looks like I won't be able to use cheap WWB for practice.
7. A good value from a major gun manufacturer.
8. The grip is a bit small, thin, and slippery. I would recommend having grip sleeves or adding skateboard tape to add more "grip".
9. Unfortunately, no extended mags (not that I know of).
10. No external locks, external safeties or mag safeties. ( I would not want them anyways for a SD gun.)

11. There's no slide stop. It locks open when the mag is empty. But, in term of clearing a malfunction...for some... a slide stop is needed to lock the slide open. (This is not an issue for me.) I can clear a malfunction just fine without it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Nano Review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plouffedaddy
October 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the review. Two things about the Nano just kill it for me though....

1. It feels top heavy and seems to recoil more than the CM9/PF9 to me.

2. No slide lock for clearing malfunctions.

The ones I've shot have been reliable though so I can't complain about that aspect....

ZXD9
October 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Extended mags are supposed to be available this month on Beretta site. Not holding my breath but we should see them soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

TheProf
November 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
Just found out today...

You can use Pearce grip extensions (+0) for Kahr PM9 on the Nano. (For those who can find Beretta brand Nano grip extensions.) Just make sure to use the plastic base plates provided by the Pearce, instead of Nano magazine base plate.

ryno31
November 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the review. It came down to the Nano or the XDS when I was shopping for a carry gun...it was close but I opted for the xds due to the larger caliber. The Nano about had me though that's for sure, it felt like a great little pistol.

hardluk1
November 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Many small pistols have cycling issues with lite low powered loads when brand new. If WWB is a load you still want to use for practice it may feed it fine by now. Small lite pistols just need to loose up a bit with some heavier stronger loads first.

bannockburn
November 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
The Prof

Great job with your review and follow-up with the mag extensions. The things I didn't like about the Nano were: no slide stop, felt a little top heavy, and the grip frame was somewhat too up and down in terms of its vertical axis.

skt239
November 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
If I remember correctly, the Nano 9mm. is built on a 40 caliber frame. Could that be the reason for the failures with the 115 grainers? Is that something that could be remedied with a spring change?

I got a chance to fondle the Nano at a recent gun show and I liked the feel of it. Other than a coat pocket, I wouldn't really call it a pocket pistol but its perfect for the belt.

michael85
November 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
totally pocket-able for me in jeans or chinos.

Nano65
November 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
I have had my Nano since last January (S/N Nu0018xx) and I thought you might like to know what I think about it. It has been very reliable and I completely trust it for SD carry. I do have a Texas CHL. I've shot 1050 rounds with a total of 6 FTEs, 2 in a 50 round box of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ and 4 in 100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ. I was really surprised about the Lawman.

Some have said that the gun feels top heavy. Since I'm not familiar with many hand guns I really don't know but I really do like the feel and balance of the Nano. I carry cocked with one in the chamber and 6 in the mag. Since the Nano has an 8 pound trigger it is very safe. There is no way it is going to go off unintentionally. If I need it I don't want to have to rack the slide.

It fits very well in my front pocket and slides out very easily due to the lack of projections on the sides. I also use a Remora 4ART pocket holster on occasion. Usually under my belt. Recently I bought the Lasermax and really like it. There is a significant improvement in accuracy with it.

As for what I have shot at the range, here is the list:
300 Monarch 115gr FMJ brass
50 Monarch 124gr JHP brass
250 RWS 124gr FMJ brass
14 Speer Gold Dot 115gr GDHP
197 Winchester 124gr NATO
14 Hornady 135gr Critical Duty
50 Blazer 115gr FMJ brass (2 FTE)
100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ (4 FTE)
25 PMC 115gr FMJ (very old but worked fine)
50 American Eagle 124gr FMJ

If you have any questions about the Nano I will be glad to try and answer them.

TheProf
November 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Here's an additional update...

Day 2 at the range:

30 mixed premium JHP. (Gold Dots, PDX1, HiShoks). Had 2 "failure to extract". Not happy!

Day 3 at the range:
100 rounds of HiShocks
100% No issues of any kind.

General Thoughts:
1. Ok...even with premium ammo, it seems I really need to be pick the "right one".

2. I probably need to break this in some more. Fortunately, Walmart sells HiShoks rather cheap.

3. Now... this is the debate mulling over my mind...

a. Most likely, the first 3 shots fired will determine the outcome of the situation.
b. I most likely not be able to reload a gun this small (Nano) in comparison to full size guns. (The mags are small to get a quick grip on.) Most likely, I will be able to reload my snub nose revolver at about equal time as reloading the Nano.
c. I can probably deploy a snub nose revolver quicker than the Nano...using the same carry method. This is due to the fact that the j-frame's grip is easier to grab in stressful situations (in comparison to the Nano's small and thin grip).
d. So... it looks like the only main advantage of the Nano (vs. a snubbie) is 7 rounds vs. 5 rounds. Is this really enough of an advantage to carry a less reliable weapon?

FYI: This is not a slam against semi autos. I love the G26 for daily carry.
I'm just discussing the virtues of the Nano in comparison to other carry guns...roughly the same size.

bannockburn
December 1, 2012, 06:59 AM
The Prof

I would still have to give the edge to the Nano over a J frame snubbie. The two things that stand out the most would be faster reloads and better sights. Having the two extra rounds initially is also another positive aspect in favor of the Nano. Maybe try running some shooting and reloading drills and see which one works better for you.

TheProf
December 1, 2012, 05:57 PM
You have made good points. I am still in the deciding phade. Fyi: day #4 at the range...

70 rounds of hishoks jhp... 100 percent.

Fremmer
December 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
Keep shooting and testing to ensure reliability before you cc it.

And the answer to your extra rounds for less relability being worth it for a ccw gun is: absolutely not. 5 for sure shots beats the hell out of 7 (or 10 or 15, for that matter) maybe shots when you really need them.

exdetsgt
December 2, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have a Nano. It's my favorite among small 9's, of which I've had several. The trigger pull is long (as it should be in such a small weapon) and smooth. After shooting a couple of hundred rounds through it I sold my Kahr. Now I have 500 rounds through it and have never had a single malfunction of any sort. I shoot whatever I have on hand, including WWB, and it eats everything.

As for the poster who thought he might be able to reload his J-frame faster than he could reload his Nano, he must be really, really good with a speed loader. As for fast draw I find them equal. I have a J-frame and love it and have spent considerable time and effort practicing both fast loading and fast drawing with both guns. The Beretta I prefer for EDC.

TheProf
December 3, 2012, 10:12 PM
When I said that I can reload my jframe as fast as I can reload my Nano... I did not imply that I am really fast with reloading the snubbie. The sad truth is... I'm just slow in reloading the Nano.

It's the way that I carry my spare mag... I wish I could open carrry or even carry OWB. But, my environment requires that I don't look tactical and must carry IWB. In many cases, I have to resort to pocket carry. So... in my UNIQUE situation and dress requirements.... I must lament that trying to get to my spare mag (the size of a nano mag) simply takes a lot of time.
That was in no way to imply that others have the same problem.

The point of the original post is to simply share MY unique personal experience with the Nano in an unbiased way. When I contemplated on using a j-frame revolver instead of the Nano... that was not to say that semi-autos were inferior. Heck... those who know me know that I am a big fan of Glocks. And... I do really want the Nano to work out and win in my preference decision over the j-frame.

exdetsgt
December 3, 2012, 10:33 PM
I understand your post better now. The difficulty lies in retrieving a fresh magazine from a pocket. I thought about this for a bit, then tried retrieving a Nano mag from a trouser pocket and from a Levis pocket. Much easier from a trouser pocket than a Levis pocket. However, even from a trouser pocket, which is deeper but easier to get your hand into (and more fiddly if you have to search for it through other items that are in the pocket), the time taken to do this is invariably much longer than flicking a magazine out of a belt holder. I carry my Nano in a paddle holster at 4 o'clock and the spare magazine in its holder at 8 o'clock.

With my J-frame it's a speedloader in a pocket or a belt pouch. And I have to practice more with this combo.

billrandall
December 21, 2012, 11:58 PM
I've seen numerous other nano owners post about fte with speer lawman 124g fmj.
I had one myself out of 50. Had my nano about a month. First time out shot 100 wwb
with 1 failure to eject. 25 hornady custom 124g jhp, 50 fiocci 124g jhp both no prob.
2nd time out 50 speer lawman 124g fmj, 1 failure. 50 winchester NATO 124g fmj. 0 failure.
50 pmc 124g fmj 0 failure. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

exdetsgt
December 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
Never tried Speer Lawman. I'll see if I can find some (given the frenzy at local gun shops).

heeler
December 22, 2012, 10:03 PM
This is an interesting thread I missed when it was first posted.
As one who owns a PM9 that has been 100 % with all ammo tested it seems kind of weird that your Nano only appears to have issues occaisionally with Speer & Blazer and a few WWB.
But I guess some guns just dont like certain brands.
But you are right Prof that a J frame is easier to get out of a pocket than your Nano or my PM9 or LCP.
My biggest issue with the J frame was since it is close to a half inch longer than sub compact auto's I had the same peeking issues you mentioned in your original post from the pocket with my Smith M 37 Airweight.
Last I hated the recoil of the J frame and I myself could not shoot it worth a damn.
Not so on the PM9 or LCP.
But again,the J frame is faster on the draw from a pocket holster.

billrandall
December 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Went out today and put 100 fiocchi 115g fmj, 100 fiocchi 124g jhp and 25 hornady 115g critical defense through my nano. Zero failures. I really hope the single fte I had each time I had taken my nano out before were due to a break in period. Anyone else run speer lawman 124g through thier nano?

exdetsgt
December 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
Just got a second J-frame and it's a world apart from my 2" round butt. This one is a square butt with a 3" barrel. I'd never seen one before, so I bought it. And, Heeler, I never could shoot squat with my first one either, so don't feel bad. However, this one, due perhaps to the SB and certainly to the longer barrel, is a veritable tack driver (well, almost) at 10 yards. Downsides, 1) it's no longer a pocket gun, and 2) almost no one makes a holster for a 3" Model 36. So, the barrel sticks out 1" through the hole at the bottom of your holster. Big deal.

VoodooSan
December 25, 2012, 12:19 AM
I have had my Nano since last January (S/N Nu0018xx) and I thought you might like to know what I think about it. It has been very reliable and I completely trust it for SD carry. I do have a Texas CHL. I've shot 1050 rounds with a total of 6 FTEs, 2 in a 50 round box of Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ and 4 in 100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ. I was really surprised about the Lawman.

Some have said that the gun feels top heavy. Since I'm not familiar with many hand guns I really don't know but I really do like the feel and balance of the Nano. I carry cocked with one in the chamber and 6 in the mag. Since the Nano has an 8 pound trigger it is very safe. There is no way it is going to go off unintentionally. If I need it I don't want to have to rack the slide.

It fits very well in my front pocket and slides out very easily due to the lack of projections on the sides. I also use a Remora 4ART pocket holster on occasion. Usually under my belt. Recently I bought the Lasermax and really like it. There is a significant improvement in accuracy with it.

As for what I have shot at the range, here is the list:
300 Monarch 115gr FMJ brass
50 Monarch 124gr JHP brass
250 RWS 124gr FMJ brass
14 Speer Gold Dot 115gr GDHP
197 Winchester 124gr NATO
14 Hornady 135gr Critical Duty
50 Blazer 115gr FMJ brass (2 FTE)
100 Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ (4 FTE)
25 PMC 115gr FMJ (very old but worked fine)
50 American Eagle 124gr FMJ

If you have any questions about the Nano I will be glad to try and answer them.

What floor plate are using on your Nano. I also want to order the Lasermax. Best place to get it? Thanks!

exdetsgt
December 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
I missed the bus on this one. What is a "floor plate"?

VoodooSan
December 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
Floor plate = magazine extension

WRGADog
December 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
Beretta. I received the two I ordered last week. My Nano has performed flawlessly and has become my primary carry gun.

exdetsgt
December 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
Apparently you got the last two. Currently out of stock, I back-ordered two. Beretta also has a nifty IWB holster for the Nano.

VoodooSan: Thanks for the definition.

billrandall
December 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
When the extended mags become available, you gotta grab-em.. When I got mine, Beretta notified me by email at 10pm. I ordered at 11pm, they were out of stock again when I checked back at 6am.

exdetsgt
December 25, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Bill. I signed up for email notification and created an account. I also ordered their rather nice-looking IWB holster ($64) after watching their easy-on-easy-off video. The slimness of the Nano shouldn't make my pants too tight, I hope. The last time I tried IWB was with a Glock 19. Didn't work, too wide.

Mikey Idaho
December 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Yah I ordered one extended magazine when they had them in stock as well. Gotta have your mind made up on buying them and watch for the email notification and act fast. Should have mine on Thursday. If I like it I'll get some more, I'll probably try to have half regular and half extended.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

VoodooSan
December 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
I also want a couple of the Nano extended mags. Signed up for notification just wish there was an ETA on restock.

Also thinking about that Lasermax light for it. It seems more solid than the CT laser.

I love the Nano.

VoodooSan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nano65
December 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
"Also thinking about that Lasermax light for it. It seems more solid than the CT laser."

What do you base this statement on?

VoodooSan
December 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
I read several comments from users of that that have tried both CT and Lasermax for the Nano and the Lasermax was reported to attach more solid. I haven't tried this but based on what I read and the price it looks likes Lasermax is what I want for my Nano.

VoodooSan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rail Driver
December 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Personally I'm not a fan of the Nano. I've handled them, and I can't get past the soft, mushy trigger. I prefer a crisp trigger with a 4lb pull.

Nano65
December 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
"I read several comments from users of that that have tried both CT and Lasermax for the Nano and the Lasermax was reported to attach more solid. I haven't tried this but based on what I read and the price it looks likes Lasermax is what I want for my Nano."

The Crimson Trace was too pricey for me so I bought the LaserMax. It was very easy to install and is very rigid on the trigger guard. Since I sighted it in I can tell that it has not moved because it is still in alignment with the original sights.

"Personally I'm not a fan of the Nano. I've handled them, and I can't get past the soft, mushy trigger. I prefer a crisp trigger with a 4lb pull."

The trigger on my Nano is in no way mushy. In fact it is glassy smooth. It is long with a very crisp break that is very predictable. Once you fire a few rounds you learn exactly where that break is and quickly get used to it. This gun was designed with this safety feature since there is no external safety, which I like very much. You can't shoot this gun accidentally. You only fire it when you mean to.
By the way, I respect your opinion and you should only shoot what you like.

billrandall
December 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
You're welcome ex. I got the IWB holster from Nate2tactical.com for $38. Absolutely love it. I can where it all day long... I prefer the 6 round mag. I don't mind my pinkie wraping under. And it conceals better. Haven't ever carried with the extended mag. The six fits better too. You gotta really slap it in to lock it. I love my nano. It fits me well and I shoot it well. The reason I got it was specifically concealed carry. No external slide release to snag. No external safety. My brother lost a deer this year cause the safety was on when he tried to shoot the deer we jumped. He had clicked it on minutes before thinking, ill be extra safe, and click it off if I need to shoot. We were in thick cover and all within 5 seconds, we jump the deer, he pulls up and squeezes on a safety guarded trigger, click it off and the deer is gone. That moment convinced me my carry gun would be no safety, DAO. It's safe with a round chambered, it won't go bang unless I pull the trigger. And if I ever have to use my gun in an emergency, I can focus on the threat, not what steps I need to take to make my gun shoot. Now if someone PRACTICES disengaging thier safety EVERY time they aim and shoot then that's different. When me and my brother practice shooting our deer guns we don't click off the safety every time. That's why he missed an opportunity.

exdetsgt
December 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
The only safety I never had a problem with was the thumb safety on a 1911. As you draw, your thumb naturally encounters the safety and as the thumb comes down into the gripping position the safety gets pushed down and you're ready to go boom. It's a natural movement, whereas with a shotgun or a rifle you must remember not only where it is and which way you move it, but also whether it's on or off. And at night the little red dot is useless.

Pistols with no safety, such as the Nano and the Glock need a heavier trigger pull to minimize the chance of an accidental discharge. Probably why so many law enforcement agencies use Glocks, including the Arizona Ranger company I'm in.

If Rail Driver finds the Nano trigger "mushy" that's fine. Mine does not have a mushy trigger. Long pull, sure, it's a DAO, but so do the Keltec 3AT, Ruger LCP, and the Kahr 9mm, all long pull DAO's. I like 4lb. triggers too, and they can be found on SA revolvers and SA/DA guns like Smith&Wesson and 1911's. I'm not sure that anyone makes a DAO pistol with a 4lb. trigger, but what do I know?

Bill: Wish I'd have known about Nate2tactical.com, I could have saved a few bucks. Does it appear similar to the Beretta IWB?

billrandall
December 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Ex.. It has elastic instead of a hard molding. The one they had that looked like berettas was $79 do you did good. I don't mind elastic since I'm not frequently reholstering. Spent all day Xmas shoping, jumping in and out of the truck, reaching high, bending low, and my nano never moved.

exdetsgt
January 3, 2013, 11:18 PM
Bad news: Yesterday at the range, the Nano basically broke. The ejector failed. As in every time I pulled the trigger. Examination revealed that the brass extracted only about 1/8" and of course as the slide commenced its forward motion and tried to move a new round out of the magazine, it couldn't. It was also quite difficult to get the magazine out. I finally managed to pry it out by inserting a small screwdriver between the grip and the black plastic end piece of the magazine.

Took the Beretta back to the LGS where I bought it. They determined it was still under warranty and said they would return it to Beretta for repair.

I was disappointed, to say the least, as in the 5 months I've had it the little Nano has never had a malfunction.

heeler
January 4, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hmm........Wonder if this is going to be a common malady for other Nano's or,hopefully,an isolated incident?
Please keep us informed of what Beretta says is the problem.
What sort of ammo were you using when this occured?
God I hope they are not using a bunch of low grade MIM parts like Diamondback does.

C0untZer0
January 4, 2013, 10:25 AM
I know at least one other Nano user who reported this same problem this week - only partial extraction of the case. But it was only happening with 115gr ammo.

I wonder if the extractor claw is damaged or the extractor is jumping the groove?

exdetsgt
January 4, 2013, 11:05 AM
Heeler: It was WWB from Walmart, probably 115 gr. As I emptied the box at the range, I threw it in the trash can, so I can't be sure, but it's usually what I take to the range.

As for cheap parts, I have no idea, except that the LGS owner and staff remarked on several occasions about how well-made the Nano was.

COountZerO, I can't answer as I wouldn't know what I was looking at. And too late to try other ammo as it isn't here.

exdetsgt
January 4, 2013, 07:51 PM
Update: Called the LGS today, and they did NOT send it off to Beretta. The shop owner said he decided to check it himself, took it into the back room, loaded it, and then racked the slide repeatedly until the magazine was empty. He said every round ejected perfectly! I mentioned that he probably ought to actually shoot the gun and then see what happens. He agreed and will do that over the weekend. I guess, in a way, that's good news.

I doubt that I could have been consistently limp-wristing. I'm a trained and experienced shooter. I went back to the range today and shot my Glock 19. Two 15 round magazines, no problem. Anyway, until he actually shoots it we won't know.

heeler
January 5, 2013, 12:58 AM
Exdetsgt,this thread made me start looking through My American Rifleman magazines I receive as an NRA member and I found the October 2012 review of the Nano and after reading it I doubt Beretta put mushy MIM parts on main functions of this pistol.
So it's my hope this was some sort of mass produced ammo fluke.
Still let us know as I am always interested in these kind of things.

Atticaz
January 5, 2013, 01:45 AM
I love everything about this pistol. I feel naked without it. I have yet to have one malfunction. I love it so much I had the slide refinished at Robar. I don't really miss the external slide release...probably due to no malfunctions.

But, I practice my "Drop mag, Rack, Rack, New mag, Rack, Bang" drill in case I do have any.

http://s19.postimage.org/moynoljxf/photo.jpg

Ammo I have used so far:

100- 115gr WWB- FMJ
200- 115gr S&B -FMJ
9- 115gr Speer Lawman -FMJ
6- 115gr Fiocchi -FMJ
20- 147gr Winchester PDX1 -JHP
50- 115gr Remington UMC -FMJ
50- 115gr HPR -TMJ
100- 147gr WWB -JHP
150- 115gr Federal Champion -FMJ
150- 115gr TulAmmo -FMJ

exdetsgt
January 5, 2013, 11:04 AM
Atticaz, that's a downright handsome gun you've got there. If I ever get mine back I might do the same thing. Where did you get that rubberized slip-on grip cover? What camera did you use to make that very crisp photograph? Whatever it is, it 's got a killer lens.

Also, as you did, I'm going to try different brands of ammo.

Heeler, I'm definitely not giving up on the Nano. Ironically, my Beretta IWB made specifically for the Nano arrived yesterday. Fits well, a bit fiddly to get it tucked in, but that's probably just me. Need to watch Beretta's video again.

Atticaz
January 5, 2013, 11:56 AM
I used my wife's Nikon D60 I believe. The rubberized grip is the Hogue Handall Jr. Universal grip. This is an old pic. Since then I have switched to Traction Grips, because I have the same Beretta IWB, now. That Hogue grip makes it awkward to draw from.

http://www.tractiongrips.com/catalog/c32_p1.html.

But I only use the rear portion.

http://s19.postimage.org/4z4kh3fz7/image.jpg

VoodooSan
January 5, 2013, 03:22 PM
As far as the factory 8 round mags go I got a notice from Beretta they were back in stock. I ordered two to have on hand. Even the regular mags are fine with me. I don't mind my finger wrapping under but I like the idea of having a few extra rounds.

exdetsgt
January 5, 2013, 03:41 PM
I got a notice Thursday about 8 round mags being in stock, but made the mistake of waiting until yesterday PM to order. Oops, out of stock.

VoodooSan
January 7, 2013, 03:25 AM
Ouch. Yes I heard you have to jump on it fast. I got the email and ordered right away and posted on here. Can't believe they go out of stock so fast.

heeler
January 7, 2013, 07:43 AM
Atticaz...Nice looking Nano.
Perhaps if Beretta sells enough of them they will offer them that way.

dbp
January 7, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined the club. Picked up my Nano today from LGS. Won't have time to shoot until Wednesday, but will post results then.

exdetsgt
January 7, 2013, 08:56 PM
Bad news II: The LGS owner fired my Nano over the weekend at his ranch and diagnosed a failed extractor mechanism and is sending it back to Beretta in (I think) Maryland for either repair or replacement. So now I've got this really nice made-by-Beretta-in-Italy IWB holster and nothing to put in it. So it's back to big, bulky, ugly, utterly reliable Glock 19 for EDC (also my duty gun). OR, a Smith&Wesson J-frame Model 36-1 with the odd 3" barrel.

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 8, 2013, 12:37 AM
Lack of a external slide stop kills it for me too. I remember a Beretta rep saying that "it's completely ambidextrous so there's no external slide stop"

At the same time the magazine release is one sided until you swap it, couldn't they have done a swappable slide stop?

toivo
January 8, 2013, 02:55 AM
I got a notice Thursday about 8 round mags being in stock, but made the mistake of waiting until yesterday PM to order. Oops, out of stock.
I missed out once and got lucky the second time. Forget about leaving your address for the e-mail notification. By the time they get around to e-mailing, they're already gone. Just keep checking the Beretta site. That's how I got mine.

There's one issue with the extended mags: They don't want to seat. You have to have the slide open, and you have to REALLY whack them to get them to lock in. I haven't taken mine to the range yet, but I hear that they lock in easier when they're loaded. I have no idea why this would be, but that's what they're saying on the Beretta forum.

TN86XY
January 8, 2013, 02:23 PM
I've had a difficult time deciding what I wanted to get as a back up and after reviewing this thread, I think the Nano might be the best fit. Thanks to everyone who posted-your insight has been a great help!

dbp
January 14, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined the club. Picked up my Nano today from LGS. Won't have time to shoot until Wednesday, but will post results then.
Ok - finally got to shoot my Nano. Only had the time to run through a box of 50 but had no problems at all. Accuracy was there and just felt good overall to shoot.

I'm satisfied, but will wait until I can go through a few hundred rounds to put it into daily carry rotation.

TheProf
January 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
Just to give an update...on OP, I sold the Nano due to relibility issues.

cocojo
January 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Had a nano when they first came out had some FTE. I traded the gun for the Shield and I also had FTE with the shield. I like the shield but not the safeties and controls. I just bought another nano, the newest model. I just shot 225 rounds without any issues with a variety of different ammo and bullet weights and all were flawless. I like the nano better than the shield except for the trigger. By the way the shield shoots right and high the nano shoots on the money.

Cokeman
January 16, 2013, 11:34 PM
What do you mean new model? Just a newer gun?

heeler
January 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately in the rush to get a new gun to market there are plenty of makes and models that have had issues in the early production stages and it sucks that the customer becomes the beta tester but if the maker clears up the problem and addresses the issue with future productions all the better.

cocojo
January 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
I mean the newest edition which does not have the barrel cutout. I also think the newer guns have a smoother lighter trigger than the early nano I owned. Sometime it pays to wait until all the bugs are worked out of a new gun.

Cokeman
January 17, 2013, 09:48 PM
I didn't know they made changes. Can you show me the difference?

exdetsgt
January 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
I didn't know that either, although the trigger on mine beats that of my previous small 9, the Kahr.

Nano65
January 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
Here is a great review on a Nano: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/223126-new-beretta-nano-review-w-range-time.html

dbp
January 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
Ok - finally got to shoot my Nano. Only had the time to run through a box of 50 but had no problems at all. Accuracy was there and just felt good overall to shoot.

I'm satisfied, but will wait until I can go through a few hundred rounds to put it into daily carry rotation.
Shot another 50 yesterday. Sorry to say I did have two FTEs. Shooting the same ammo as the previous 50 that I had no issues with (115gr Blazer brass).

I can't try my carry ammo right now as I got caught shorthanded and only have enough for the mags on the Nano and G26. I will have to wait until this ammo shortage eases to be able to put enough rounds through it to really determine reliability.

Also, I definitely have a newer model being 4XXX serial.

Better accuracy today as I'm starting to get used to the trigger.

Cold in Alaska
January 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
Just noticed this afternoon that the extended clips are back in stock -- at least they were when I ordered today.

exdetsgt
January 23, 2013, 10:57 PM
When you have an FTE how do you get the mag out? The mag release is now jammed and won't depress. What I did was run the small blade of a Swiss Army knife between the mag release base pad and the grip frame, give a slight twist, and the mag popped loose. Then I was able to clear the weapon.

I shouldn't have to do that. The Nano is definitely not a Glock.

Nano65
January 23, 2013, 11:05 PM
Try this. With your right hand hold the grip. With your left hand push the slide back enough to take pressure off the spent casing. Use your right thumb to eject the mag. Clear the casing. Put the mag back in. It is really pretty simple to do.

exdetsgt
January 23, 2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. Makes sense. (When and if it ever comes back from the factory).

cocojo
January 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
The indentations in the grip lets you grab the magazine to rip it out. I just grab the magazine and rip it out, but the pinch grab on the slide will work.
Other guns like the Walther ppk has the same system and I have to say I like the internal slide release without the external parts. Maybe I just got use to not using them being a lefty. Most auto's though out the past only had right handed controls anyway, so why do I need them.

TarDevil
January 24, 2013, 08:35 AM
Try this. With your right hand hold the grip. With your left hand push the slide back enough to take pressure off the spent casing. Use your right thumb to eject the mag. Clear the casing. Put the mag back in. It is really pretty simple to do.
I wouldn't want to do all this under duress.

Nano65
January 24, 2013, 09:56 AM
Well..............I guess the other choice you have, under dourest, is to throw the gun at the BG as hard as you can and hope to knock him out. :)

exdetsgt
January 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cocojo: I'm pleased that what you did worked for you. Didn't for me. First, the slide had become an immovable object; secondly,all the indentations on the grip did was give me a better hold on the grip, which I believe they were designed to do. It had no effect on loosening the magazine despite pulling on it with all my strength. Maybe I should go to the gym more often?

Nano65: I just realized that you gave a perfect description of how to do it with a Glock.
I have been shooting Glocks since 1997 and your how-to works every time.

Unfortunately, this is no Glock. The slide was jammed in position - you could not move it in either direction. Depressing the mag release did not release the mag no matter how hard I tugged on the base plate.

dbp
February 8, 2013, 08:25 PM
Shot another 50 yesterday. Sorry to say I did have two FTEs. Shooting the same ammo as the previous 50 that I had no issues with (115gr Blazer brass).

I can't try my carry ammo right now as I got caught shorthanded and only have enough for the mags on the Nano and G26. I will have to wait until this ammo shortage eases to be able to put enough rounds through it to really determine reliability.

Also, I definitely have a newer model being 4XXX serial.

Better accuracy today as I'm starting to get used to the trigger.
Shot another 50 rds and had another FTE. Spent casing came halfway out and was jammed by round trying to feed. After much effort I got the mag to drop and casing fell out.
I am beginning to get a little uneasy about the Beretta as it has had a FTE out of every 50 round session. Have 350 rds through it now. I'm not giving up on it yet, but summer is right around the corner and this was to be my pocket carry.

exdetsgt
February 8, 2013, 08:41 PM
Good news: Beretta returned my Nano to the LGS today and I drove over to Sierra Vista and picked it up. Along with the Nano was a letter from Beretta in Accokeek, Maryland describing their repair:

"Replaced the extractor and polished the barrel's chamber. Test fired 18 rds.
factory black hills 115gr. JHP ammo no malfunctions. 02/06/13."

They also mentioned that all work performed is warranted for one year from date of service.

So I immediately loaded it up and stuck it in my new Beretta IWB. After doing so I found that, try as I might, I could not get my pants buttoned again.

Oh, well.

Anyway, will take it to the local outlaw range tomorrow and see what happens.

exdetsgt
February 9, 2013, 03:10 PM
dbp, you mentioned that yours was a newer model and gave the serial number as "4XXX."

I'm confused. The serial number on mine is NU0147XX. Does yours not have
the NU01 in front of the 4? Can you list the entire serial number and just 'X' the last two digits?

dbp
February 9, 2013, 04:39 PM
dbp, you mentioned that yours was a newer model and gave the serial number as "4XXX."

I'm confused. The serial number on mine is NU0147XX. Does yours not have
the NU01 in front of the 4? Can you list the entire serial number and just 'X' the last two digits?
NUO433XX -- Sorry for the confusion. Given that yours is 14XXX and mine is 43XXX I just assume mine is a newer model.

I really like this pistol, but the FTEs have me concerned. I just don't trust it for carry at this point. I am going to try and put another 300 rds through it in the next week and see how it performs.

I hope your problems have been resolved.

exdetsgt
February 9, 2013, 05:42 PM
Not a problem, and yes, they have been. If your Nano continues to have problems and is under warranty, you could do what I did: Have your lgs send it back to Beretta. In my case they replaced the ejector and polished the barrel chamber.

As for serial numbers - unless they are chosen at random, which I rather
doubt - your is definitely newer. If there have been subtle manufacturing changes between mine and yours, wouldn't it be nice if they would tell us what they were?

dbp
February 9, 2013, 08:40 PM
Not a problem, and yes, they have been. If your Nano continues to have problems and is under warranty, you could do what I did: Have your lgs send it back to Beretta. In my case they replaced the ejector and polished the barrel chamber.

doubt - your is definitely newer. If there have been subtle manufacturing changes between mine and yours, wouldn't it be nice if they would tell us what they were?

That would be nice. I really want this Nano to work for me. Maybe it just takes 500 rds or so to break in.

JellyJar
February 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
I bought my Nano back in early October and its serial number is NUO244XX. That means they have been selling a lot of the little suckers! :eek:

When I first shot it I used the cheap Federal 115 FMJ ammo that they sell at WallyWorld and I had several failures to extract from both boxes that I used.

I did some research and found that there have been lots of problems with Nanos and the cheaper ammo you can buy at WallyWorld. Since then I have used only ammo I bought else where and in about 300 rounds or so of that ammo the only problem I had was a primer that did not ignite on the first hit from a box of WW white box 115 grain I bought at Gander mountain.

The little gun was designed to handle +P ammo so it will choke on cheap under power ammo. Use good ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck

JJ

dbp
February 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Would you consider CCI Blazer brass or American Eagle both in 115 gr to be what you would consider "cheap,underpowered" ammo? I bought them both at LGS not Wally.

Nano65
February 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
Jelly, I have had excellent results (300 rounds trouble free) using Monarch 115gr FMJ from Academy Sports and Outdoors. It is made by Prvi Partizan Uzice in Serbia, one of the largest ammo makers in Europe. This is inexpensive full powered ammo. I have never used Federal or WWB.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopNavCatalogSearch?Ntt=9mm+ammo&Ntk=All&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&N=0&krypto=iCh8P1m15tXjVBH9QPcbcs%2Fl7ECvxFC%2F1S5m2lRDFcbgGQEy1SGicul6JCtVRZ%2Fi

Right now if you can find 9mm ammo at Academy or Wally World you are extremely lucky. The hoarding is out of control. :banghead:

TarDevil
February 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
I did some research and found that there have been lots of problems with Nanos and the cheaper ammo you can buy at WallyWorld...
The little gun was designed to handle +P ammo so it will choke on cheap under power ammo. Use good ammo and you shouldn't have any problems.

I think you've further convinced me not to buy a Nano (which I pretty much had already decided for the lack of slide lock).

dbp
February 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Just left the range. After putting 100 more down range I had no problems - no FTEs, nothing. I did change from the CCI Blazer to Federal American Eagle so maybe the ammo had more to do with the earlier FTEs than I thought. And today I was shooting some from weak hand so I don't think limp wristing was the earlier problem either. Anyway, if I can get a few hundred more down with no problems, then the Nano goes into carry rotation.

exdetsgt
February 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
That's good news, dbp. Mine seems to work fine also since the repair and I'm shooting the least desirable WWB 115gr. from Walmart. Can't find any 124 gr. anywhere.

Earlier I mentioned the IWB holster I had purchased from Beretta and the fact that I couldn't get my pants buttoned. Turns out I have several pair (Carhartts, Levis,) that are a bit looser and IWB works with them. It conceals perfectly. It's also quite comfortable.

JellyJar
February 12, 2013, 02:22 PM
Nano65

From what research I have done ( sorry no links ) it appears that WallyWorld puts such a squeeze on its vendors, and not just for ammo, that the only way the vendors can make any profit at all is to cheapen their products that they sell to WallyWorld as much as possible. That means no QC hardly at all.

IIRC they really take a hard line on how much they will pay for any product they sell. Either their way or the Hi-way!

I bought what seemed liked a good electronic meat thermometer and not cheap and it broke after less than two months of use.

The only things I will ever buy from WallyWorld from now on is groceries. Nothing else!

Addendum. Please call me JJ, not Jelly. No big deal but I think JJ sounds better. :)

Nano65
February 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
JJ, I'm sure you are right about the squeeze Wally World puts on their suppliers. From about last January to June WW carried RWS 124 gr FMJ rounds but suddenly stopped when their stock ran out. I really like this ammo. It is made in Switzerland. I have since been able to find it at Sports Authority. Some ranges won't let you shoot it because the bullet has a little steel in it.

exdetsgt
February 16, 2013, 09:02 PM
Today I went to the range and shot 100 rounds of Walmart WWB 115gr FMJ. I did that on purpose expecting problems. I also brought more expensive Speer Gold Dot 124gr HP +P.

To my surprise it ran the WWB with nary a hiccup. Also, I loaded both mags, then rapid fired, dropped the mag, inserted the second mag and rapid fired again. I did this several times and really heated up the pistol to see if it would malfunction. It didn't. Apparently the Beretta-installed new ejector did the trick. I never did have to shoot the hard-to-find Speer ammo.

Bottom line: It's back to EDC again.

Nano65
February 16, 2013, 09:39 PM
A BIG Congratulations! Like to hear a story like that. The extractor probably really helped.

exdetsgt
February 16, 2013, 10:03 PM
Apparently so. I handed it to our Ranger company captain, who is our firearms instructor and does our quarterly quals with our duty pistols. He'd never seen one before. He shot at one of our human silhouette targets at 25 yards and put all 7 rounds in the kill zone. He turned to me, handed back the Nano, and smiled broadly. "Nice gun," he said.

dbp
February 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Good deal EX. I will try to get mine to FTE again as soon as I can find some 9mm ammo. Actually, I have 200 rounds left but want to spread that out a little.

Say, do you have any issues with your mag release? Mine will drop the mag fine when cold, but after a couple of mags fired I have a hard time getting it to release. When it does release it won't fall free and most times I have to pull it out with my non shooting hand. That has to be resolved!

Any ideas?

C0untZer0
February 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
Is it for sure tempreature related, or could it bethe magwell is getting a little poweder residue on the walls?

Fremmer
February 17, 2013, 02:01 PM
Good to hear she's fixed, congrats!

dbp
February 17, 2013, 02:50 PM
Is it for sure tempreature related, or could it bethe magwell is getting a little poweder residue on the walls?
I don't see how it could be powder residue as I clean it thoroughly after every firing.

Are you thinking that it could be residue from just two mags that may be causing this? if that is so I would think everyone with a Nano would be experiencing the same thing.

This is a real pain at the range, but after thinking about it, I guess that if I ever do have to use it for SD I won't be firing any more than two mags anyway. Now if it got that tight after just the one 6 round mag, then that would be a major problem.

toivo
February 17, 2013, 04:59 PM
Say, do you have any issues with your mag release? Mine will drop the mag fine when cold, but after a couple of mags fired I have a hard time getting it to release. When it does release it won't fall free and most times I have to pull it out with my non shooting hand. That has to be resolved!

Any ideas?
Did you clean your mags before using them? Sometimes new mags (like new guns) are coated with a kind of protectant -- it's not a lube. It can dry up hard but then get sticky when it warms up again. Take your mags apart and clean them off with some Breakfree and an old toothbrush. Do everything: spring, follower, baseplate, inside and outside of mag body. At the very least, try doing the outside and see if that helps your drop-free problem. Couldn't hurt!

exdetsgt
February 17, 2013, 07:58 PM
The mag casing is stainless steel and appears uncoated. So, then, how do I get the baseplate off without putting out one my eyes? I assume you push in the pin in order to slide off the baseplate. Which, I also assume, is under a lot of tension.

toivo
February 17, 2013, 09:07 PM
The mag casing is stainless steel and appears uncoated. So, then, how do I get the baseplate off without putting out one my eyes? I assume you push in the pin in order to slide off the baseplate. Which, I also assume, is under a lot of tension.

Actually, for the drop-free problem just cleaning the outside would be OK. But now that you mention it, the Beretta mags are pretty slick on the outside, so maybe that's not the problem.

Yeah, you've got it right about taking it apart. What I like to do is get a gallon-sized freezer bag and do the whole operation inside the bag. You can see what you're doing, and if anything goes flying, the bag will catch it.

dbp
February 17, 2013, 09:45 PM
After a closer look, the magazine is releasing just fine. It is just designed to such close tolerances in relation to the mag well that it is not dropping freely. I will try cleaning the exterior of the mag. Like you said -it can't hurt.

Also, I just reversed the mag release button, moving it to the right side. I was having trouble getting enough thumb pressure on it from the left side (medium small hands) to effect release. I'll try it from the right side for awhile.

jeff-10
February 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have a brand new Nano. Took it to the range this weekend. Had the following results:

Remington UMC 115gr. - Shot aprox. 75 rounds. It was flawless.

Winchester Ranger 124 gr FMJ. NATO milpec - 50 rounds flawless.

Winchester White Box 115gr BEB = would not feed more than 2 or 3 without a FTE. Was painful to watch.

Also, I didn't realize the rear site was adjustable. It must have been loose because it came off. I need to pick up a 1.3 mm hex wrench now to tighten it. My fault though because I didn't realize it needed to be tightened.

Also, it is a very accurate gun for the size. Trigger is squishy however its easy to shoot.

All in all, the verdict is still out.

worksonit
February 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Just purchased the Nano and first time out with WWB 115g ammo
3 FTEs. Read all the post here and saw it was more than mine doing this.
Field striped it today and found the metal rail that holds the slide on
was not polished slick. I took a fine file and worked both sides lightly to get it smooth then took 400 grit sandpaper and hand sanded it smooth.
Cleaned, then fired 100 rounds of Walmart WWB ammo. Worked perfectly!
Anyone having a FTE problem may want to look at this.
Just remove the slide, and look at the sides/top of the metal rails and see if it has
A thin "lip" of metal sticking out a little at the edge. This is what I smoothed off.

Nano65
February 19, 2013, 11:05 PM
Very good idea. Thanks

dbp
February 19, 2013, 11:18 PM
Going to be cleaning mine tomorrow anyway so I will check this out.

shillow
February 20, 2013, 11:19 AM
I also just purchased the nano last week and finally got a chance to go try it at the range. I started with some Brown Bear 9mm 115g ammo. Right off the back within the first magaine it jammed. All in all I had 3 jams within the first 25 rounds. Not fun unjamming I'll admit. I then switched to some fiocchi 115g and no jamming at all. I also shot another brand I picked up at academy (sorry forget the brand) but no jams at all. I did notice I was shooting low the entire time with the nano but not sure if it was me or the gun because when I switched over to my CZ75I was dead on consistantly with thight groups.

My favorite gun to date howver is my CZ75 compact which has never jammed on me and eats everything I put in it, hence the brown bear ammo left over from years ago. All in all, I give the nano a thumbs up, I was pleased with the overall feel of it and the trigger wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (ive avoided DA since I got rid of my S&W Sigma which I could shoot worth a damn with). I am not as experienced as some others on here but I do have handgun shooting experience and it had been about 5 years since I got out and shot. Man, I didn't remember how much fun it is to hit the range. Can't wait to find some ammo and go back ;)

WYO
February 20, 2013, 06:47 PM
Just purchased the Nano and first time out with WWB 115g ammo
3 FTEs. Read all the post here and saw it was more than mine doing this.
Field striped it today and found the metal rail that holds the slide on
was not polished slick. I took a fine file and worked both sides lightly to get it smooth then took 400 grit sandpaper and hand sanded it smooth.
Cleaned, then fired 100 rounds of Walmart WWB ammo. Worked perfectly!
Anyone having a FTE problem may want to look at this.
Just remove the slide, and look at the sides/top of the metal rails and see if it has
A thin "lip" of metal sticking out a little at the edge. This is what I smoothed off.
I also noticed that the frame rails on the Nano are a bit rough. However, since I started greasing the frame and slide rails with TW25B, I have not had a malfunction with mine. The single malfunction (failure to eject/double feed) I have had with the gun occurred in my first range session before starting this regimen. At the time of this malfunction, I already had fired firing 6 magazines' full of ammo, which dried the gun out. It is possible that the rails will wear in without the need for home gunsmithing.

exdetsgt
February 20, 2013, 09:58 PM
Today at the lgs I saw an OD Nano! They had just unpacked it. Didn't know they made one. Looks great. Tried to trade mine in on it but the numbers were not in my favor, so I'll keep mine. As soon as it stops snowing and I can get into my garage (where I keep all my gun cleaning stuff and have a nice work bench) I'll examine the the metal rails. Having said that, I've had no FTE's since it came back from BUSA with a new ejector.

Cokeman
February 20, 2013, 11:43 PM
You can buy an empty green frame from Beretta. (http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-nano-grip-frame)

I've seen pink, white, and brown frames too. Neapolitan ice cream.

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/SPEC0557A.jpg

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Beretta_Nano_white.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/beretta-nano.jpg

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/SPEC0556A.jpg

dbp
February 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
I also noticed that the frame rails on the Nano are a bit rough. However, since I started greasing the frame and slide rails with TW25B, I have not had a malfunction with mine. The single malfunction (failure to eject/double feed) I have had with the gun occurred in my first range session before starting this regimen. At the time of this malfunction, I already had fired firing 6 magazines' full of ammo, which dried the gun out. It is possible that the rails will wear in without the need for home gunsmithing.
I checked mine today as I cleaned it and didn't fine any rough areas at all on the slide rails. I try and keep this area lubed a little anyway so I don't think it will be an issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Nano Review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!