shooting eyewear

PDA

2nd 41
October 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
I need protective eyewear to wear over my glasses. What is available other than wearing protrusive Shop Goggles over them. Thanks

EDIT.... Found them. Ordered from the NRA store

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting eyewear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
October 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
Look across the interweb for Over The Glasses Safety Glasses and take your pick.

You're actually better off with OTG spoggles/goggles than ones with ear pieces.

The best thing is to get a pair with your prescription in them to allow you avoid the entire OTG annoyance. They aren't as brutally expensive as they used to be.

bigfatdave
November 1, 2012, 12:18 AM
The best thing is to get a pair with your prescription in them to allow you avoid the entire OTG annoyance. They aren't as brutally expensive as they used to be.

+1 on the prescription shooting glasses

if you work with power tools, caustic liquids, compressed air, atc atc
or
if you ride a motorcycle
or
if you ever do any kind of industrial work
or
if you shoot more than 100 rounds per year

... in the long run, you're best off with a set of Rx goggles, they've gotten affordable and more comfortable in the last 5-10 years.

Sport45
November 1, 2012, 01:14 AM
I believe the biggest difference between prescription glasses and prescription safety glasses is in the frames.

I have prescription safety glasses, but don't worry about it if I don't have them with me at the range.

Chris at safevision.net is very helpful when it comes to prescription safety glasses for shooting sports. He set me up with a pair for work and play that you wouldn't think were safety glasses unless you checked the temples for the certification.

hso
November 1, 2012, 01:19 AM
I believe the biggest difference between prescription glasses and prescription safety glasses is in the frames.

I hate to shake your faith, but the lenses in standard safety glasses don't meet the ANSI standard for resisting breakage. So the most important part is the lens followed by the frame (but one without the other doesn't meet the standard).

Still, the point is that prescription safety glasses can be inexpensive for simple prescriptions.

Ehtereon11B
November 1, 2012, 02:15 AM
Quiet a few eye wear companies make Rx lenses for shooting glasses or Rx inserts that fit in the frames. For example Revision Sawflys have Rx inserts that can be filled out by just your regular eye doctor for little to nothing.

My current shooting glasses were made by a company called sportrx.com which makes Rx lenses without the inserts. For pretty good prices as well. I got a pair of Wiley SG-1 prescription, transition, ballistic eyewear for a little around 250.

2nd 41
November 1, 2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your replies. For now I will use the OTG(from the NRA Store). I have worn RX safety glasses in the past. I worked small hand tools, buffing lathes and dremels. I'll get new RX eyewear for shooting. I did not consider doing that but your replies rang the bell.

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting eyewear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!