Winchester Super X2 chokes

PDA

JimStC
October 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
No matter how old I am I still learn new things. I ordered a Carlson rifled choke for my X2. Ordered a Win choke.
Got a call from Carlson's advising me that the barrel is the Browning Invector Plus. Choke arrived today and it didn't fit. Called Carlson's and learned that the earlier Super X2's were Browning Invectors, not Invector Plus.
Just a heads up to other Super X2 owners who are thinking of buying a choke for their shotgun. Earlier ones are Invector barrels, later ones are Invector Plus.
In all honesty, had I read the specs on the barrel, I wouldn't be waiting to dial in the X2. Hmmmm.....

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super X2 chokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
orphanedcowboy
October 30, 2012, 05:45 AM
I have owned quite a few SX2s and have never seen an Invector choked version and I preferred the earliest "floating" rib models. If I am correct, they were introduced in 1999, a good 6-7yrs after FN/Browning/Winchester introduced the Back Bored barrels.

It would be, "I'd have to see it to believe it" situation. I also cannot believe Carlson's called to notify you, they are just not that efficient or caring, one reason I refuse to use anything they make.

If you ordered a Winchoke, that is the very same thing as an Invector choke, so I can see how that would not work.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

JimStC
October 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
Carlson did call. I spoke with Shane.
The barrel on my Super X2 clearly reads "Invector".
Seems pretty low road to accuse me of lying. You having a bad day already?
Too bad......

Jim

JimStC
October 30, 2012, 06:37 AM
In order to validate my first post, please go to page 9 of the Winchester Super X2 Semi-automatic Shotgun Owner's Manual. On that page it states:

"Current Super X2 hunting models are fitted with the proven Invector Plus choke system"

Anyone that needs a site to read the manual go here:

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/superx2_manual_om_s.pdf.

Evidently my shotgun pre-dated this version of the manual as mine is the Invector barrel.

Jim

orphanedcowboy
October 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
Is it a SX2 Practical? If so, then yes it would have an Invector choke system and I owe you an apology, if it is a hunting version then it should be Invector Plus choked just as the manual states.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/img/images-by-title-name/Super-X2-Practical-MK-I-MID-511016-l.jpg

JohnBT
October 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Here's another SX-2 field gun with Invector chokes.

www.gunsamerica.com/982758494/Winchester+Super+X2+Magnum+12ga.htm#

"includes full/modified/improved Invector chokes"

According to www.pmulcahy.com/semiauto_shotguns/us_sa_shotguns_s-z.htmt

The SX-2 Sporting Clays came out in 2001. It was similar to the Hunter Walnut, but had backbored barrels, was available in 30" and came with Invector-Plus chokes. And stock spacers to adjust the fit.

The only reason I had some idea about this was from researching the SX-2 line and buying a used 2003 SX-2 Waterfowl in 2005. Like new and only $700.

JohnBT
October 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
I should have simply looked in the Blue Book.

Super X2 3" Magnum Field - "Invector chokes"

Super X2 3" Magnum Field Composite - "Invector chokes"

JimStC
October 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks John.

Jim

JimStC
November 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
The replacement Carlson choke arrived today. Fits perfectly.
Carlson was a pleasure to work with as they paid the return shipping and did not charge a restocking fee although it was my mistake. Had I read the barrel I would have known that it was an Invector barrel.
Now to test some groups with the rifled choke against my un-choked groups.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super X2 chokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!