Breech loading Sharps

PDA

TomADC
October 30, 2012, 04:06 PM
Just got this in the mail looks like it will go nicely with my 45-70 Sharps.
Does any body have one? do you shoot it? What about bullet lube?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/magnussmitt/fullsizeiab/iab001.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Breech loading Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim, West PA
October 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
That's one beautifuly handsome rifle Tom.
Sure wish one o' them was in my gun budget.
Is the patch box true to it ?

72coupe
October 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
I check my mail box every day but there is never anything that good in it.

Jim, West PA
October 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Now that ya meantion it Coupe.
I bet Tom's gotta lonnnnger mail box.
That's it,i'm gonna stretch my mail box ;)

TomADC
October 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nope just need a large diameter hole saw!! and a shelf.
Not sure about the patch box, my cartridge Sharps doesn't have one.

Cosmoline
October 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
Is that a '63?

Jim, West PA
October 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
Nope just need a large diameter hole saw!! and a shelf.
Hahaha...heck, i'm jist gonna add a gun rack to mine.:D

TomADC
October 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
I believe is a I.A.B. 1863 Sporting rifle.

.22-5-40
October 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hello, TomADC. What caliber is it? I have a Shilo 1863 military model in .45.
You will want to use a very soft B.P. type lube..SPG, Bore Butter, Crisco/beeswax, etc.

TomADC
October 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
Its a .54 cal I have about a 100 Sharps style bullets that came with it, they are from Dixie. Do you lube the bullet just before you shoot it, like a mini ball?

.22-5-40
October 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
I haven't shot mine in a few years, but I make up paper ctgs. for it. I found if I make ctg. long enough to fit chamber, flush with breech, it's more accurate than having B.B. cut end off ctg. I use tissue paper treated with Saltpeter for complete burn up in chamber.

4v50 Gary
October 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
SPG lube.

Kaeto
October 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Try here Tom.. http://charliestubes.com/

VA27
October 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
Nice rifle! I have an early 54 cal. Shiloh '63. I use Charlie Hahn's tubes and dip the bullet of the completed cartridge in a melted mix of bore butter and beeswax. The paper cutter Sharps are fun to shoot.

TomADC
November 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
I emailed Charlie but haven't heard back from him yet, trying to buy a few hundred of them, but the only other place I see these tubes is Shiloh and their shipping is more then the tubes.
Any other place sell these?

Kaeto
November 2, 2012, 11:53 AM
Va27 what do you think of a 50/50 mix of beeswax and alox as a lube?

TomADC
November 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
VA27 as in Royal Maces?

BCRider
November 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
So are those Charlie's tubes re-useable?

Also, not having ever seen one of these breech loading paper cartridge guns, I gather there's a "chamber" and that the bullet coming into contact with the rifling is what stops the round from moving more forward?

The odd thing is that I was just reading through a copy of "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by Frank de Haas. More specifically how these paper cutter Sharps rifles used a few different methods of providing an O ring gas seal to avoid the blowby around the block joint. But nothing much was said about how the cartridges are chambered other than the back of the paper being sliced off.

Kaeto
November 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
No the tubes are not reusable.

BCRider
November 2, 2012, 11:43 PM
In that case I think I'd rather find a home grown solution instead of having to mail away for the tubes. Not that they are not a good idea. I just don't like having to rely on component sources when there are easy enough home made options.

Kaeto
November 2, 2012, 11:53 PM
The good thing about the tubes is they are more sturdy than a normal paper cartridge.

VA27
November 3, 2012, 01:21 AM
VA27 as in Royal Maces?

Plankowner. Went on the first two cruises before getting out in '70. ADJ2, Power Plants, and Checker.

Charlie's tubes are handy as a pocket on a shirt, and way faster than rolling your own.

Kaeto- Never tried it with alox, but I think it would make the BP fouling harder rather than softer.

BCRider- The tubes burn up/get blown out the bore on firing. The real advantage in them is in consistency. When you roll your own and cut off the tail, the powder shifts, not unlike small charges of powder in a large cartridge case, with the resulting variations in velocity. Another plus is reduced time at the bench means more time shooting. You're correct. The bullet is stopped by the rifling. If your tube is the right length it fills the chamber without sticking out to be cut off.

Another point; the new CCI Reenactor musket caps don't work very well in my Sharps. Try to find the RWS caps.

TomADC
November 3, 2012, 10:48 AM
I use a modified Emmerts Lube for my BP 45-70 loads, I think I could use it on these loads, it keeps the fouling soft.

I was a ADJ also until they dropped the J & R .

Kaeto
November 3, 2012, 11:07 AM
I got a pound of the Beeswax/Alox coming I guess I'll use it on the rounds I cast for my Webley.

TomADC
November 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
Buck Emmert's BP lube
1750 grains Beeswax
1368 grains Crisco Shortening (White)
328 grains Crisco or Wesson Vegatable Oil

This recipe makes 1/2 pound lubricant. If you tray lube as I do, you'll probably
want to double the recipe.
I also now substitute Anhydrous lanolin for the vegatable oil.

I use a postal scale I picked up.

Snaggletooth
November 3, 2012, 10:57 PM
Tom, I use the same mix that I use for over the powder loads in pistols, Gatefeos old recipe. I use Charlie Hahn tubes. He has a web site now. I just had my morel 1859 modified. Got it back and am going yo make noise tomorrow. Im surprised Charlie never returned your mail. I get answers from him in 8-12 hrs.

tom e gun
November 4, 2012, 02:42 PM
Where would be the place to get one of these percussion Sharps with the most bang for yer buck? (no pun intended lol) I am really liking these, but would like to be able to find one cheaper than what they normally are at (around $1000 is what i have seen the new ones)

VA27
November 4, 2012, 10:33 PM
Keep watch on the auction sites. They come up occasionally. I got a deal on a 70's Farmingdale Shiloh Carbine that was only a coupla hunnert more than I would have paid for a new Italian gun.

tom e gun
November 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
any particular brands to watch for over others?

VA27
November 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
I did a lot of research and there seemed to be a consensus that Shiloh is the best of the reproductions. I believe that they are the only U.S. manufacturer that makes a '63. I have exactly zero experience with the Italian made repo Sharps. I do have experience with Italian made repos of other guns, and don't ever recall being disappointed.

Olmontanaboy
November 6, 2012, 05:00 AM
any particular brands to watch for over others?

I don't have any first hand experience with the Sharps paper cutters but had a Shilo 50-70 and it was top shelf. I know the NSSA boys shoot the paper cutters and the Shilo is considered the one to have.

TomADC
November 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
Any body have contact with Charlie? I'm not having much luck, I'd like to get a couple of hundred 1.5 inch tubes.

TomADC
November 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
How about adding machine tape/paper for making paper tubes?
Or butchers tape?

VA27
November 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've used newspaper, copy paper, brown paper sacks, you name it. Some use cigarette paper. No real need to nitrate the paper unless you just want to.

I use a kids glue stick to glue the paper and glue the bullet to the paper. Lots of good info on cartridge making over at the shiloh rifle forums in the 1863 support forum.

Quick and dirty cartridges can be rolled with a tail that gets cut off when you close the breech. Guys shooting for best accuracy (and the guns are suprisingly accurate) make a cartridge that loads flush with the breech and seal the end with curler paper (available where beauty supplies are sold. A coupla bux will buy thousands of 'em) just as you would do with Charlie's tubes.

Dunk the bullet end in molten lube and you're ready to go.

VA27
November 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=316472749

If anyone's lookin'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Breech loading Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!