Feral hog hunting in CA.

PDA

BP Hunter
October 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't know about you, but after preparing for some much for the deer hunting season and coming home with nothing, don't you feel that you have to harvest something. So...I am thinking of hog hunting in CA. Why CA? I live in WA State and CA is the closest hog country.

Does anybody have any experience/recommendations to which outfitter I should sign up with? I could go out it out alone, but I have never hunted in CA before so I am obviously unfamiliar with the area. So, paying an outfitter who knows the area is best option.

Thanks for you help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral hog hunting in CA." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bison
October 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
I would suggest you look at the link below and ask for the list of guides mentioned in the thread.

Lots of hogs in CA, mostly on public land. A good guide almost guarantees at least a chance at a hog, but it ain't cheap.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/showthread.php/234774-CA-Hog-Hunting-Outfit-Recommendations

Double Naught Spy
October 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
Oregon has hogs as well, is closer, and more gun friendly.

Certaindeaf
October 31, 2012, 10:42 AM
Go here. It's around Paso Robles. Bring a handgun.. it's funner. It's been decades since I've been there. With hesitation, they let me use my 9mm Hi-Power. I gave them assurances, yadda.
Anyway, they keep a collection of cartridges from succesful hunts. There's big ol' Nitro Express shells etc, etc. and then some tiny little 9x19's from the few of my visits. No head shots (I didn't want to bother) but all made dead right quick. There's some monsters out there in the thick stuff.

Good luck.

http://www.camp5outfitters.com/images/header.jpg

http://www.camp5outfitters.com/

Certaindeaf
October 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Geez, how times change. When I went I thought it was steep, $200-250 per depending on tusk size. I saw that they recommend/require? a scoped .270 minimum but I'm sure you could talk to them if you wanted and no lead slugs. anyway. Thank God for friends and family in Texas and California!
Oh, and there's pretty much no hogs in Oregon.

BP Hunter
October 31, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yes, about Oregon. I googled a sight www.covercreekranch.net where they actually have pig hunts. It's alos just 4 1/2 hours away.

Certaindeaf
October 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, about Oregon. I googled a sight www.covercreekranch.net where they actually have pig hunts. It's alos just 4 1/2 hours away.
Clover Creek Ranch is a high fence "preserve". About 5000 acres I think.
That's about the only place there are pigs in Oregon, behind that fence.

gbran
October 31, 2012, 11:52 PM
I hunt hogs on BLM land without guides. Nearest location is only 60 miles from home, but I don't always bag one every trip. I really don't want to pay to shoot pigs. I went on one of those hunts for $300 (1 day), got a 250lb boar. Haven't paid since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feral hog hunting in CA." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!