Kahr CM40 opinions?

PDA

Jim NE
October 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
There's a Kahr CM40 subcompact pistol at my LGS. Used, in good shape.

Anyone own one of these guns? What do you think?

I would need a Mag extension shoe, as the gun is too small for my grip. Are they available. I've heard the come with only one mag. Is that true?

Also want to hear about accuracy. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CM40 opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
October 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Yes they come with only one mag, its part of hitting the lower price point. The extended 6 round mag is about $40.

I got to run about 100 rounds through one last weekend, (I've had a PM40 since they first came out) and I was impressed. Very nice trigger and functioned 100%

The short sight radius works against accuracy but I had no trouble hitting 8" steel plates at 10 yards unless I tried to go as fast as I do with my full sized pistols.

Unless you want to add night sights eventually, IMHO you aren't really giving up anything with the CM40 other than the spare mag (the front sight is staked, not dovetailed, making installing night sights problematic).

Used, I'd try to make sure I wasn't buying someone else's problem, Kahr's warranty is not so great, my early PM40 had teething issues, but they took care of me, although I bought new.

I saw one at last weekend's gun show for $330 new, although most were asking $360 for them -- they were easy to find unlike the Shield or XDS.

Jim NE
October 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks Wally. That's very helpful info!

Good point about used vs. new. I've read that Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in period. True?

I'm also wondering if there's a mag shoe/extension that can be bought to put on the stock original 5 shot mag. The gun's too small for my hand as is.

wild cat mccane
October 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
Run. Run like hell.

I bought the "better" PM40 and had multiple issues. Catastrophic death upon the first shot back from factory after they replaced barrel and mag. One issue that has never been addressed is the google search problem of the 40 shattering mag followers.

no, there hasn't been changes since I bought mine...or any time on the PM, CM 40 models.

Jim NE
October 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well, I'm actually wondering if a new gun wouldn't be a better way to go - always been my usual policy WITH SEMI-AUTOS (till I got my great ruger P94 and Hi Standard Duramatic pistols - both used).

I actually did see something about the mag follower problem when researching on the net.

Thanks, wild cat.

wild cat mccane
October 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
I absolutely threw a fit that my 1 week NEW PM40 was with issue (issues that were true given their replacement work on my NEW PM40)....they didn't budge. I had to pay to send it to them.

Kahr has a 5 year warranty. I would never buy a used Kahr without doing a cost analysis of replacing slide and barrel and it still being less than new.

Run.

Dean1818
October 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Kahrs are generally ok.

They have some quirks that bothered me.

And the long but smooth triggers keep you from double taps

I ended up moving to M&Ps solely

silicosys4
November 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
Kahr....proving in this day and age that "idiot proof" is a necessity.

By idiot proof I mean that they can be reassembled incorrectly, and then they tend to malfunction. Most instances I've personally seen were operator error in reassembling the pistol.

I'm a big fan of Kahrs. I own a pm40, cm40, and pm9.

I read up about the Kahrs, and why they are "POS's" to some people. Once I did, I quickly picked up a pm40 and pm9 that were "FTF'ing POS's" for 1/3 of their price new...took all of 30 seconds each to disassemble and reassemble correctly...now they work flawlessly.

The other day I was out hunting and shot a grouse with my pm40...because I forgot my grouse gun. 15 yards, blammo, first shot. Hit it with my second shot too, proving it wasn't a fluke. (black talons are not the grouse hammer I would have thought). The gun is accurate enough when someone knows what they are doing, although a bit snappy for follow up shots.

Shadow 7D
November 1, 2012, 11:12 PM
although a bit snappy for follow up shots

I like pocket guns, but I am leery of them
while I have handled Kahrs, and they seem nice and all, the .40
well, I HAD a P40, I sold it because I couldn't shoot it well, and by we, I mean I couldn't do a 3 shot quick fire without a FTE, or a quick double, the recoil.....

Be aware, those problems are entirely MINE, the gun is/fine, but more than I could or wanted to shoot.

dirtengineer
November 2, 2012, 01:29 AM
Kahr....proving in this day and age that "idiot proof" is a necessity.

By idiot proof I mean that they can be reassembled incorrectly, and then they tend to malfunction. Most instances I've personally seen were operator error in reassembling the pistol.

I'm a big fan of Kahrs. I own a pm40, cm40, and pm9.

I read up about the Kahrs, and why they are "POS's" to some people. Once I did, I quickly picked up a pm40 and pm9 that were "FTF'ing POS's" for 1/3 of their price new...took all of 30 seconds each to disassemble and reassemble correctly...now they work flawlessly.

The other day I was out hunting and shot a grouse with my pm40...because I forgot my grouse gun. 15 yards, blammo, first shot. Hit it with my second shot too, proving it wasn't a fluke. (black talons are not the grouse hammer I would have thought). The gun is accurate enough when someone knows what they are doing, although a bit snappy for follow up shots.
Can you tell us all what the common problem was in assembly? I have never heard that before.

silicosys4
November 2, 2012, 01:18 PM
the common problem that I've encountered is that there is a small spring under the slide stop. Most guns do not have anything in that part of the frame except the recess for the slide stop, so in most guns the slide stop goes in and thats it.
In my Kahrs, when you push the slide stop in, there is a small protruberance on the back of the slide stop that slips under the end of the spring, in which case the spring applies tension downwards on the slide stop, which it is supposed to do.
If you are not paying attention, you can push the slide stop in with the spring resting under the slide stop. This applies upwards pressure on the slide stop, and has the tendency to lock the slide back for each shot, and if it doesn't lock the slide back it causes the slide stop to ride high. This causes all sorts of malfunctions, and makes the pistol hard to disassemble as well as extremely unreliable. It is NOT an obvious thing though, and once the spring is bent a little from the first time the slide stop is pushed in, the slide stop will always want to go in with the spring oriented wrong until the little spring is either rebent or replaced.

Its not an issue once you know what is going on, and its easy to avoid.

From Kahrs website:

Q. My slide locks back after each round fired. What is wrong?

A. Either the slide stop spring is damaged or it is a broken follower. Please call 508-795-3919 and ask for replacements. Instructions for replacing the followers are in your Owner's Manual. The slide stop spring is held with a T6 torque screw.
>>Back to top

Q. The slide stop spring on the polymer frame pistols is easily bent. How do I protect it?

A. Insert your slide stop pin 3/4 of the way at the 4:00 o'clock position and slowly rotate it to the 3:00 o'clock position before pushing it completely through.
>>Back to top

Each of my PM's that had that problem didn't even need a spring replacement, they just needed a ball point pen under the spring to guide it to the right position as the slide stop was pushed in.

I have heard of people having bad luck with the magazine followers in Kahr magazines, but that is definitely easier to fix than a problem with the pistols themselves.

So when you meet someone and he has kahr for sale that malfunctions like crazy, don't be too quick to pass it by, if you can get it for a great price.

dirtengineer
November 3, 2012, 01:42 AM
^^^ Thanks for the tip. I just disassembled my CM9 and can see what you are talking about. Learn something new every day!

birddog2
November 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
While not the 40, my cm 9 has turned out to a great little firearm. Trigger a little rough the first few hundred rounds, it has smoothed since then. Never a FTF of any kind and when I do my part it will print a 2.5" @ 25 yrds with any ammo except WWB 115gr (4")

k_dawg
November 3, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have the CM9 version. While I prefer the .40S&W, I was just honest with myself. In this very small/light pistol, quick follow up shots on the .40 was a bit difficult.

I prefered the trigger over the Nano, etc. While long, it is very smooth. Does not hinder accuracy at all.

SDGlock23
November 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've owned a number of Kahrs, including much of the CW/CM series. All have performed very well, and the CM40 is my only one since I like the .40 and have so much ammo for it. It's very accurate and while it does recoil a little more than my CM9 did, it's not bad really. Reliability has been great as well.

However, the issue I'm having with this one is that it likes to break magazine followers. Amazingly it still functions with a busted follower, however Kahr will send you some free if you ask them.

LightningMan
November 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
I have a number of Kahrs P380, PM9, and just lately picked up a P40. The P40 is the next size larger than the PM/CM 40, and I really like it so far. Recoil is managable, but I'm not sure I would want to go down in size to the PM/CM version, at least not untill I shot one first. BTW thanks for the info silicosys4, as I didn't know about it, but must have been putting my Kahrs back together right so far. Lucky I guess. LM

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr CM40 opinions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!