Stickers on your ammo cans?

PDA

allaroundhunter
October 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
Does anyone here put stickers on their ammo cans? Maybe it's just me, but I like a little personalization on my otherwise bland ammo can. Unfortunately, I just had to trash my "personalized" ammo can and am trying to find some new decals to create a new one. Once I get my new ammo can started I will post a picture, but if anyone else has something to share, I'd love to see it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Stickers on your ammo cans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
October 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
I color code mine by caliber, but other than identifying caliber I don't make any other changes to them.

tacxted
October 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
I put my stickers on my cans. I have an underarmor sticker, NRA sticker and a forest fire prevention sticker

leadchucker
October 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
I put a white 3x2 Avery label on the top, identifying what's in the can. ;)

taliv
October 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
yeah, i used to print out nice color labels for my ammo cans. i got lazy though.

however, i have my gear organized in large rubbermaid type bins that are covered in gun stickers, if that's what you meant. this pic was taken some time ago. it's quite a bit worse now :)

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/260ainv.jpg

Al Thompson
October 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nah. Stickers go on the gun safe. Labels go on the ammo cans, caliber and type. :)

jim243
October 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Basicly by caliber, but I ran out of labels. Hope the floor holds up. (LOL)

Jim

rcmodel
October 30, 2012, 10:10 PM
Blue masking tape with the contents Sharpie penned on the tape.

Bumper stickers on GI green ammo cans is un-American!!

It would be like defacing the Mona Lisa!

rc

allaroundhunter
October 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Bumper stickers on GI green ammo cans is un-American!!

It would be like defacing the Mona Lisa!

.....Now that's a bit of a stretch.... GI green is much more appealing than that "masterpiece" :neener:

fatcat4620
October 30, 2012, 10:14 PM
Stickers on the gun safe, painters labels ok cans.

Walkalong
October 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
I label the can with the caliber and number of rounds. Inside is all the pertinent info if the ammo is reloaded. I pull ammo from the cans to put in smaller containers for the range. That container also has the info in it.

Nothing fancy, just labels. Might be printed, might be from a label maker, might be hand written.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7181523&postcount=12

Fishslayer
October 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
Labels only on my metal GI green cans.

Wish I'd bought more of these robust plastic cans when Big 5 was selling 'em. The replacements are not nearly as strong.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/THE_Fishslayer/OSR/Rangerig.jpg

W.E.G.
October 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/undead.jpg

FROGO207
October 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
Just the Avery labels on my ammo cans to indicate contents by caliber/weight. BTW I used almost a full label cartridge putting one on the front lift handle and one on the top of each can.

Grmlin
October 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
Most of my ammo cans are repainted brown. The only identification on the cans are tied on tags with contents listed. I like the plain look. Need to get smaller cans most of mine are the larger sizes. I do have a couple smaller one's for grab and go that the wife can lift also. Don't know what it is, I have a bunch of stickers I just can't bring myself to put them on anything.

crazy-mp
October 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Jewelry hang tags, no need to scrape stickers off if I change what is in the can. I write basic info like caliber or if everything in there is reloaded for a certain gun like a M1 Garand it will say (M1 En-block clips 480 rounds) so I don't open it when I am looking for 30-06 ammo.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ8HocWLxk7ZCEsbYmw1zUpTddq3spXpQHaGrXF8shXeXEbRUgmg

bigfatdave
October 31, 2012, 02:08 AM
just a label for what's in it

gunnutery
October 31, 2012, 02:27 AM

I've always liked the government property marks such as the British arrow and the U.S. bomb/grenade. I just personalized the bomb and spray painted it on my range box to make it stand out during training and fun days at the range.

warnerwh
October 31, 2012, 02:54 AM
I put load(s) and caliber. For a couple of calibers I have different loads and keep them in separate cans.

possom813
October 31, 2012, 04:18 AM
Load, caliber, quantity, reload info inside on an index card

I have them from flat black to hot pink. I pick them up at garage sales and auctions when I can, and if they're rusting pretty good, I hit them with the wire wheel and repaint them flat black.

The daughters' wanted their own cans, so I took a couple of .30 cal cans and cleaned them up, painted them krylon pink and sealed it with an epoxy coat to make them shiny.

They've put all kinds of stickers on them, from Hello Kitty, Disney Princesses and Hannah Montana to the Stickers about Hunting, A Girls Hunt Too! sticker that's pink and white, NRA stickers, and several Manufacturer's Logos.

Keeps them occupied and they get new stickers every time we take a trip to our range.

Lerk
October 31, 2012, 04:41 AM
Yup add stickers as necessary or when I have a bunch of the same ones. I sometimes make stencils and rattle can them if I'm really bored. On the inside of my reload can lids I put a label with all the reload info so I know exactly what they are.

bigfatdave
October 31, 2012, 06:24 AM
I've always liked the government property marks such as the British arrow and the U.S. bomb/grenade. I just personalized the bomb and spray painted it on my range box to make it stand out during training and fun days at the range.I like that idea, I've been trying to figure out something based on the flaming bomb for myself for a while.

bannockburn
October 31, 2012, 08:32 AM
Labels with caliber and quantity go on my ammo boxes. Stickers and decals go on my gun cabinet and gun safe.

allaroundhunter
October 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
Well jeez, at this rate I am going to have to start a thread asking for pictures of y'alls gun safes just so I can witness your creativity ;)

303tom
October 31, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hell yes, I have stickers all over mine............

Ala Dan
October 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
NO Stickers for me, on anything; including car decals~! The less a perp
knows, the better OFF you will be~! No firearms manufactuer pays me
"one red dime" to advertise for them~!!!!! :cool:

FYI - Its even hard for 'em to get me to wear their "FREEBIE" clothing~! :uhoh:

MyGreenGuns
November 1, 2012, 05:42 AM
I have a large green storage can with my ammo in it. i have a small one that someone somewhere painted as a medic kit that i use as a cleaning kit.

Ive considered personalizing them but since Im the only one I know who has them; it seemed unnecessary.

I would opt for a repaint over stickers, personally.

medalguy
November 1, 2012, 03:24 PM
I store my ammo in .30 or .50 cal ammo cans, what's not in original milsurp cases like Russian ammo. I put a number sticker on the end closure snap, and record the contents by can number. Then I staple a printed paperboard tag over the loop on the front of the can identifying the contents, type packaging, and quantity enclosed. Works for me.

allaroundhunter
November 2, 2012, 03:29 AM
That is a lot of ammo....

medalguy
November 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
Not all of it by a long shot. :scrutiny: Sorry couldn't resist.

theotherwaldo
November 2, 2012, 11:17 PM
For pistol ammo I use a white-out pen to mark the caliber, manufacturer, date and specs (if I reloaded this batch). Otherwise, it's just white-out markings for caliber, military/target/hunting, and if/when reloaded.

Someday I'll have to re-paint the cans again, of course, but I don't trust labels.

Grmlin
November 2, 2012, 11:24 PM
Medalguy, my first thought when I saw that picture was holy $*!t, then I need more ammo.

Swing
November 2, 2012, 11:27 PM
For the longest time I just used masking tape and a magic marker to indicate what the contents was. Then went to new-fangled computer labels. Either have worked. Beyond that, nope, no embellishment.

Snowdog
November 3, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm boring I guess, but I just paint mine with Krylon that resembles flat dark earth and stamp on the content with my wife's rubber stamp/permanent ink kit (primers, .45acp, kittens, etc). It works and doesn't scream for attention. I like things to blend, but I can appreciate the personalization (which is probably why I paint my cans).

medalguy
November 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
Here's another one to drool over. Better get with it! :what:

Snowdog
November 3, 2012, 10:58 PM
Drool I will!

Grmlin
November 3, 2012, 11:50 PM
I say again holy $*!t.

Trent
November 5, 2012, 09:21 AM
Wow.

I thought I had a lot of ammo.

I got some catching up to do. :)

W.E.G.
November 5, 2012, 11:45 AM
That should be fun on moving day.

AMHIK.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174193&d=1351986620

U-235
November 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
Wow! After seeing the photos above I definitely have "ammo envy"! I keep my ammo in green GI ammo boxes and just put a piece of masking tape on them with the caliber and manufacturer (all factory ammo)

millertyme
November 18, 2012, 06:31 PM
Just the caliber found within on one end.

wacki
November 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
medalguy,

what is in the crates? Both green and tan crates? What kind of ammo is shipped that way? Is that like 5 cases?

orionengnr
November 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Nope.

I have my ammo cans arranged, and have a "map" of what is where. But the map is not displayed anywhere except...well, you really don't need to know that, now do you? :)

Likewise, my cans of cleaned and reload-able brass are configured similarly in a different location, with a "map" of their own.

I can check the map and pull the correct ammo (or brass) can quickly.

Hit_Factor
November 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
I print a label with caliber and any restrictions that may apply. Something like "9mm OPEN gun only" or 308

Sent by someone using something.

CountryUgly
November 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
ammo cans just have masking tape w/ sharpie.... the safe is a different story... it's stickered up.

esheato
November 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
Avery label with load data on the side of the ammo can and I use a paint pen on the narrow end below the latch.

Ohio Gun Guy
November 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
I use yellow spray paint and stencils I make for the calibers I have.

Easy to read, they dont fall off, etc, etc. the orange dots are target patches that I use to write how many rounds I have if / when I do a count.

LSMS
November 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
The ones with misc. things have stickers. The ones with particular calibers labeled. 174917

Go Redbirds!

medalguy
November 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Green crates are 7.62 x 39. Tan crates are various US military calibers.

I like what Ohio gun guy did.

SilentScream
November 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have loads of stickers/decals on my cans, usually industry stickers(HK,sig,mauser, etc.)

cfullgraf
November 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
I use a Brother's label maker to make a label indicating the cartridge in the ammo can. Inside the can, each container of ammunition is labeled with the contents information.

Nanook
November 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
The ones with misc. things have stickers. The ones with particular calibers labeled. 174917

Go Redbirds!

Speaking as a White Sox fan, I approve of your sticker. LOL

Walkalong
November 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
My latest pic of ammo in boxes.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175157&stc=1&d=1353602566

22-rimfire
November 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
I use labels on my ammo cans. If the can is not caliber specific, I don't label it. The more ammunition that you have, the more exclusive you can be if you want.

If color coding is something you like, they sell packages containing multicolor rolls of electricians tape that is quite handy for color coding things.

I sometimes use painters tape and just write on it with a magic marker. It generally comes off easily.

I always felt pretty good just keeping any kind of label on a can. For years, there was no labeling and I would often rummage through multiple cans looking for a particular ammo. But do separate you factory loads and reloads into separate containers.

clg114
November 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
I always take four or five ammo boxes to the range,so they have labels on the front to identify whats in the box. Otherwise I wont find what I'm looking for until I look in the last box. On the side of one of the boxes I have a large sticker with the four rules on it. When I take any of the grand kids I have them read it,as a reminder. If it was up to my wife,they would have all sorts sparkles & pretties on them. Just like her cell phone!

Adamsstreet
November 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
I keep a FULL can of each calibur I use regularly, stacked in the safe, in the order I would use them. Made some cheap stencils and some spray paint makes em look pretty official.

Calibre44
November 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
I use stickers to remind me how many times I have reloaded the same set of cartridges.

Esoxchaser
November 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
I have a number of cans that are all the same. I had free stickers. So the cans with shotshells in them get Beretta stickers. The cans with rimfire ammo get Ruger stickers. The cans with centerfire hangun ammo get Sig stickers. The rifle cans get Browning and Colt stickers.

brnmw
November 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
I label mine by Caliber, however I do have stickers on the cans, usually it's auto racing or aftermarket auto mftr. like "Lucas Oil, NHRA, F1, Bassani Exhaust, Steeda, SLP, Ford Racing, SVT, etc..." it does add a little character.

JTHunter
November 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
A "plain jane" case is not going to attract unwanted from a burglar (or other malcontent) so it is unlikely to be disturbed.
Safer that way.

bri
November 24, 2012, 07:10 PM
Masking tape? What's more American than duct tape!?

I label by caliber, mainly.

blarby
November 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Blue masking tape with the contents Sharpie penned on the tape.

"you are not alone".......

Makes cycling through the common stuff pretty easy.

CmdrSlander
November 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
I made some ammo can sticker designs a while back: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=663346

For example:

http://i49.tinypic.com/xlmd5v.png

http://i48.tinypic.com/6gvi1l.png

http://i48.tinypic.com/eam4y1.png

460Kodiak
November 27, 2012, 12:09 AM
I have an Odell's Brewery sticker on my .223 ammo can. I also have a "I Heart Beaver" sticker on one. A friend of mine gave it to me. She picked it up in Beaver Utah. There is a town that is capitalizing on their town's name sake.

Boostedtwo
November 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
I make decals, easy for me to label mine :)

Just One Shot
November 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
No stickers here, I use a permanent marker and write the caliber and quantitiy on the lid.

possom813
December 2, 2012, 09:15 PM
Not a sticker, but this is my daughter's personal .30 cal can. We just finished it up a couple of days ago, no stickers added...yet

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/possom75110/103_0690.jpg

Archie
December 2, 2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you for sharing the ideas of stenciling and 'color labels'.

My one and only tip for ammo cans is fingernail polish remover will take the yellow stencil marks off U. S. ammo cans with just a rag. No sanding, scraping or power tools. (If you all already knew this, why didn't you tell me? I've been using sanding discs and wire brushes for years!)

My cans mostly hold components, with some - typically the smaller sizes - storing reloads in bulk. Those reloads are developed loads and generally duplication loads of the rounds I shoot most (.45 ACP, 9x19, .38 Special) and I have one or two cans full of factory ammo I managed to scrounge at some point in my illustrious career.

So the cans are labeled with the contents. I've tried the stick on computer labels, but they are sometimes balky to print out AND they tend to scrape loose when moving them on and off the shelves. I've gone to the hang tags as mentioned by - someone. I think I will see about conjuring up some stencils for 'brass' and 'bullets'; plus caliber designations. That would fix a lot of my organizational problems.

The other specialized cans are for chrono testing lots of ammo and such as that.

At one time I was going to color code cans for various purposes and gave up on the idea. Labels and storage location do pretty well for me.

medalguy
December 3, 2012, 01:42 PM
Lacquer thinner removes all kinds of markings quickly too, and it's cheaper than fingernail polish remover, and doesn't evaporate quite as quickly. That stuff is mostly acetone.

leeggen
February 5, 2013, 01:35 PM
Now we all know why the LGS has no ammo on their shevles.LOL

If you enjoyed reading about "Stickers on your ammo cans?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!