Is a real colt worth it?

PDA

NCPlinker
October 31, 2012, 06:48 PM
I've been looking around at SAA's, you know, for my cowboy side. I saw replicas made by uberti and the other big names that look nice, and apparently are very authentic, but I was wondering, would it be worth it to get a real colt? I mean is there a benefit to them other then the name? Cause $2000 is a lot to shell out for a shooting iron(I know that's high side, but the lowest ive seen is 1400) Your input?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a real colt worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sky
October 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
It certainly is for some people.

Sometimes I wonder if people forget the purpose of a pistol or rifle? If I am buying something to keep I want something that is comfortable for me to shoot and I can actually hit what I am aiming at and not worry about some minor scratch or mar when using the gun in the field..

So as always it's your money and your call. I remember when RIA or the American Classic 1911s first came out and all the bad mouthing by those who did not own one....they work just fine for those who have purchased them at 1/2 the price that used to be minimum for a 1911. A friend of mine has a really high dollar case, rifle, and glass that he is so concerned about taking care of the rig that he really does not get much use out of his weapon. If it rains while on a hunt he nearly vapor locks and wants to run away from the drizzle!! So if you are comfortable with $2000 and can use it for it's intended purpose then have fun and good luck....I would want to shoot it first....

BYJO4
October 31, 2012, 07:27 PM
Only you can make that decision. The Colt represents the real thing and to many simply saying they have one is worth the extra cost. Good replicas will shoot as well as the Colt and if I was buying primarily to shoot, I would get a replica. If I was buying for display more than shooting, I would get the Colt.

.22-5-40
October 31, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hello, NCPlinker. The Colt will hold it's value over time compared to a replica.
And you won't have to say..when your buddys ask if its a real Colt..no..but it's just like one!

rcmodel
October 31, 2012, 07:43 PM
It was worth it to me.

And the latest ones being made again now are simply beautiful guns.
The case colors & bluing will take your breath away!

rc

scaatylobo
October 31, 2012, 07:44 PM
I own a Colt and its a shooter and soes very well.

I have owned Ruger's and Umberti's too.

they all shot very well,and cost a GREAT deal less than the Colt.

Long story how I wound up with the Colt [ and yes,she is a beauty ] but suffice it to say I would buy 'other' brands for shooters/hunters.

Vern Humphrey
October 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
If you can afford it, go with the Colt. You won't regret it.

NCPlinker
October 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
I would be buying for a shooter.... It wouldn't really be a field gun so it wouldn't get scratched or dinged alot.... I'm still not sure. If I see a replica that looks, feels, and shoots well enough to make up for not being a colt i guess i could go for it without regrets

planetmobius
October 31, 2012, 09:16 PM
Forget the Colt. They are the most overrated overpriced guns around. You are paying for the logo. Lots of guns out there that are superior in every measurable way for a fraction of the price. What I do like about the Colts is that whenever one crosses my desk, someone is willing to pay enough for it to allow me to buy three or more Rugers. If you are looking for a shooter, the Colt is a second rate choice.

PabloJ
October 31, 2012, 09:32 PM
I've been looking around at SAA's, you know, for my cowboy side. I saw replicas made by uberti and the other big names that look nice, and apparently are very authentic, but I was wondering, would it be worth it to get a real colt? I mean is there a benefit to them other then the name? Cause $2000 is a lot to shell out for a shooting iron(I know that's high side, but the lowest ive seen is 1400) Your input?
Look at US Firearms products (USFA) before you make a decision.

Deaf Smith
October 31, 2012, 10:54 PM
The Colt SSA is a good collector with alot of history but as a shooter all the rest of 'em do just fine.

Deaf

1911 guy
November 1, 2012, 12:19 AM
I haven't held a Colt yet that impressed me. Shotguns that felt like toys, rifles with triggers that felt like someone threw sand in them and pistols that had nothing but a rollmark distinguishing them from handguns costing half as much.

I have no doubt Colt used to make a fine firearm. But they haven't in my lifetime.

Strictly a shooter, I'd look at the Uberti and Ruger lineup. For a classy hunk o' art in steel, look at U.S.F.A.. Check out Doug Turnbulls stuff. I belive he also sells now, rather than just 'smithing. Turnbull "just gunsmithing". That's like calling the Cistene Chapel "just a painting".

DPris
November 1, 2012, 01:41 AM
I've owned & worked with several replicas. All are now gone.
I currently own three Peacemakers.

If you have to ask, then Colts are not worth it for you. :)
Denis

DMH
November 1, 2012, 02:55 AM
This is a question that you will have to decide for yourself, but once you own a Colt SAA it will be hard to part with it. I have four single action revolvers, one Uberti and three Colts. I do not like the safety on the Uberti. It is the cylinder pin that runs through the bushing in the center of the cylinder. The pin has two detents on it and when pushed all the way in it prevents the hammer from falling all the way. This is easy to remedy by just not using it (the safety). The Uberti is a 45 colt and a fun gun to shoot. It is accurate and has held up well. It is inexpensive and easily replaced. The SAA Colts I have are 32-20, 45colt and .22 the .22 also has a .22wmr cylinder. These are my favorite and it is all feeling, emotional and status. I can not say they are more accurate, or better built. But they do look nicer, they are made in America and are worth more now than I paid for them. I do have a single action Ruger Old Army cap and ball that is well built, accurate and built like a tank. Good luck with your choice and research the revolver you plan to buy. As a shooter you do not want the added cost of fixing cylinder bore variations or diameter issues. To answer your question, in my opinion YES the Colts are worth the added cost.

DMH

nwilliams
November 1, 2012, 03:11 AM
A Colt SAA is usually going to cost you more than any other SAA but the good news is that they retain their value very well.

The Uberti and Cimarron made SA guns are nice, well made and fun to shoot. From what understand for a while Uberti used Colt made parts on their percussion line of revolvers but the newer Uberti's are all Uberti parts and not as well made.

If quality is really important and you want a gun that is going to retain it's value fairly well then Colt is the way to go. If you want just a shooter and something to play around with at the range then an Uberti or Cimarron will probably serve you just fine for a lot less money.

Lawdawg45
November 1, 2012, 11:03 AM
A Chevy vs Ford question for most, but for me the decision was easy. My SA's are (must be) multi-taskers and be a reliable hunting weapon as well as a good CCW. The strength of the frame and transfer bar (6th round safely carried) of the Ruger make it the only choice for me.;)

LD

Old Fuff
November 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
To be frank, Colt sees the larger market for their single-action revolvers is collectors. Be that as it may, a goodly number of shooters like them too.

When it comes to shooting I have found they can be tack-drivers - out to 200 yards and then some! But they aren't necessarily more accurate then a Ruger, which is less likely to break small internal springs and cylinder bolts, and are safe to carry fully loaded.

If I was focused on shooting I would buy a Ruger, and either save the difference in cost, or spend it on having some custom work and/or refinishing done on the less expensive revolver. Also if I wanted the best out-of-the-box shooter and was willing to spend (give or take) $1,500 I would take a hard look at Freedom Arms who in the accuracy department can beat the others, hands down.

DPris
November 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
Nwill,
You're backwards, Uberti never used Colt percussion parts for their guns.
Colt's re-intro percussions of the fairly recent past (that actually had any real Colt involvement) were built using Uberti parts and assembled/final-finished by Colt.

The Uberti percussions have always used Uberti parts.
Denis

royal barnes
November 1, 2012, 02:45 PM
A single action revolver is strictly a matter of choice. I have owned Rugers, Italian clones, and Colts. I settled on the Colts a number of years ago. I have experienced one broken part in the last fifteen ears on one gun and that was at about 10,000 rounds. I've seen more clones and Rugers break than Colts. I'm a cowboy action shooter and I use my guns a lot. Anyone who says the Colts are not the best SAA's on the market are living in a vacuum. Since 2000 the current production guns are the best Colt has ever made. Period! I own and shoot examples from all three generations. Choose something else for price, intended purpose or "just because". Colt is still the watermark for quality and authenticity.:)

NCPlinker
November 1, 2012, 06:10 PM
I think I will go with the colt. I handled one at a local shop, and it was a beautiful gun that the owner said shot well(I would like to test it, though) Once my gun savings bank account is up to snuff, I think it will be mine

W.E.G.
November 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
Absolutely worth it!

(if you can afford it)

If you really WANT a Colt, would you want to have to look at a Uberti every time you wished you had the Colt?

Colt handguns hold their value quite well.

DPris
November 1, 2012, 07:39 PM
Maybe it'll help to say you don't buy a Colt because it's the most accurate SA, you don't buy a Colt because it's the most durable SA, you don't buy a Colt because it's the strongest SA, and you don't buy a Colt because it's the cheapest SA.

You buy a Colt Peacemaker because it's a Colt Peacemaker, and nothing else is.
If that means nothing to you, then for you it isn't worth the extra money.
Denis

Certaindeaf
November 1, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm a real fan.

That's why I wouldn't get one. Har! Get it?.. I'd destroy one in five minutes of fanning.

IROCZ
November 1, 2012, 08:14 PM
I own a Colt SAA that I bought new in 1985. I have had several broken springs and had to have the cylinder bushing replaced by Colt. I still would not trade it for anything else. I also own a Ruger Super Black Hawk in .44 Magnum and love it to death also! So... Get BOTH!

Jed Carter
November 1, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have owned 3 Uberti's SAA, Schofield, and an 1860 army, all gifts, all spent time getting repaired, all are gone... Well the 1860 army is in a pile in a box, waiting for me to fix it again. Get a Colt, or a Ruger, I would pass on the Beretta, Stoeger, Uberti clones. USA Firearms makes some nice examples of the SAA.

rcmodel
November 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
I have no doubt Colt used to make a fine firearm. But they haven't in my lifetime.Then you obviously haven't looked at one of the new SAA's they are making right now.

rc

1911 guy
November 2, 2012, 08:44 AM
You're right. I haven't concerned myself with Colt since the mid nineties.

brnmw
November 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hello, NCPlinker. The Colt will hold it's value over time compared to a replica.
And you won't have to say..when your buddys ask if its a real Colt..no..but it's just like one!
Agreed, along with some other poster's this is however a question only you can answer yourself. Me, I go with Colt... I own Colts, and I love Colts, if you do decide to get a SAA and it not be a Colt model but you are willing to pay good money for one I will suggest an STI "Texican" SAA .45LC :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4gOqWWNoe-Y

The Bushmaster
November 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
In 1966 I purchased a brand new Colt SAA chambered in .357 magnum (it came in the "stage coach" boxes) with a 4 3/4" barrel for $136.and change. I've taken two deer with it and many hours of pure pleasure on the range.

If you want a "REAL" single action...Colt, Remington and S&W are the only way to go.

ozo
November 2, 2012, 10:20 AM
Colts...nice, and so are Blackhawks and Redhawks.
I shoot them regularly. I am a single action guy mostly.
Of these three, I probably like the Blackhawks best, just depends.
IF I were going to spend $2000 for a new cowboy gun.....I would
get a Bowen, Fletcher, Reeder, Linebaugh, Magnum Research, or
similar, instead. Used or new.
Seems like Bud's had some MR's for an excellent price...lemme look...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_38/products_id/61779/Magnum+Research+BFR44MAG5+Big+Frame+44+Mag+5%22+5rd+Blk+Grip+B
Nice little .44 and price too. My most used and probably favorites are still a
Blackhawk or Vaquero.

PabloJ
November 2, 2012, 01:03 PM
I would never buy one because second-hand FA 97s in top shape are usually found for less.
Freedom Arms is far superior firearm then SA Colt. I would leave Colts to guys who wear watches with little gold crows and pocket knives that cost several hundred dollars.

Jaxondog
November 2, 2012, 03:47 PM
I want one in 45 colt so bad I can taste it. But my pocket's are not quite deep enough yet.

PRM
November 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
I have a couple of Uberti(s) that are nice guns - even had some custom work done to them.

But, they are not even in the same class as my 2nd Generation Colt SAA. Its one of my "Grail" guns that I have never regretted purchasing. One of its best upgrades was sending it to the Colt Custom Shop a few years ago and haveing a .45 ACP cylinder fitted to it. I can now shoot the .45LCs when I want and play with the much cheaper .45 ACP.

The fact that it has more than doubled in value during the time I have owned it is another big plus.

Sheepdog1968
November 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
This argument isn't unique to firearms. It's the classic brand name vs. the others. Often exceptional deals in terms of quality can be had by going with the other becuase they need to be equal if not better at a lower price point. There is nothing wrong on choosing either. just depends on what you want or what your needs are or how much money you have. If say Colt doesn't have the quality of yore, and you have money to spend, you could always send it out to be further refined (say Turnbulls, etc). I've got more in some firearms than makes sense becuase it's what I wanted. I don't plan on selling it so I really don't mind as the money was spent long ago.

wlewisiii
November 2, 2012, 08:34 PM
Only single action I owned was a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Even that got sold to finance a S&W 625 in .45 Colt instead.

Colt? I'll riff on this week & paraphrase "Escape from New York" "I thought they were dead".

Jaxondog
November 2, 2012, 10:01 PM
After re evaluating the depth of my pocket's, I will have to be happy with my Vaquero's. That's about as close as I will come to anything that look's like a Colt. :(

gmsharps
November 3, 2012, 03:37 AM
I have always had a fascination with the Colt SAA but of course the finances dictate what I will actually have. I started with a birthday present for mthe wife of a Ruger old model blackhawk convertable 45 colt/45acp. It has been a great gun and shoots very well. I picked up along the way a few Eubertis with no issues and a Freedom arms 454 that is a piece of art. I traded for a few Colt New Frontiers that I guess got lucky because all of mine work well. I finally was able to pick up a consecutive pair of real Colt SAA's to finish my quest and really enjoy them but depending on my needs of the day choose the appropriate firearm for the task. I say get what you can afford today and keep your eyes open and a bit of mad money to get your dream when the opportunity arrises.
gmsharps

fastest45ever
November 3, 2012, 05:13 AM
"I would be buying for a shooter.... It wouldn't really be a field gun so it wouldn't get scratched or dinged alot.... I'm still not sure. If I see a replica that looks, feels, and shoots well enough to make up for not being a colt i guess i could go for it without regrets"

There aren't replicas that are close. Colts, over-priced or not, are collectors guns, and hold their value. I sold a Colt and regret it. It was to finance a Freedom Arms, but, I ended up selling that gun, since I just didn't want to dump another 500 dollars in a 1500 dollar gun, at the time.

That said, I guess it comes down to caliber, and what you want it for.

.45's, with standard issue ammunition for shooting, the Colt is going to be fine.

My problem with Colts is I have tried Freedom Arms and custom Rugers that
are more accurate, and capable of a variety of loads the Colts aren't. Same with BFR's.

If I was buying a .45 Colt caliber gun, I'd have to take a real serious look at the new Rugers, and a BFR in .454 Casull.

However, neither is the fine lines, and smaller frame, except perhaps some of the Rugers, or a FA 97 that the Colts are.

That said, you aren't going to have a Colt loose half the purchase price in value if you try and resell it quickly, I suspect.

I'd save the money, and keep looking around.

Harley Rider 55
November 3, 2012, 05:41 AM
If'n you plan on really shooting it, go with Ruger. Why wear the finish on an expensive Colt. If you can afford both, shoot the Ruger and use the Colt for the barn dance BBQ gun.

SaxonPig
November 3, 2012, 10:42 AM
I have had 3 real Colts and about 5 or 6 clones. The better clones are good guns. The Colts are better in fit and finish. Are they 3 times better? I dunno...

http://www.fototime.com/97E84BC63907193/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A9F5E72A76F2C27/standard.jpg

DMH
November 3, 2012, 11:34 AM
I was wondering when the photos would start coming in. Nice revolvers SaxonPig!

DMH

forindooruseonly
November 3, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've got some clones. I've got some Colts. I'd sell the clones first. This is a late 1970s gun, from when Colt SAAs were reputedly at their worst. Still nicer than my less expensive clones.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/Forindooruseonly/Image00005.jpg

DMH
November 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
Colt .22lr
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Xrmv6smci1U/UJVDJBjj6EI/AAAAAAAABrc/VhjIq7wapAY/s800/IMG_1753.JPG

Colt .45 cal. New Frontier
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yhol6uusloI/UJVDNjhJPQI/AAAAAAAABsc/ZvDWE79A9hM/s800/IMG_1761.JPG

Uberti .45 colt
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZAwM4ABNEYI/UJVDSil1c1I/AAAAAAAABt0/hplBDw68Yyg/s800/IMG_1772.JPG

The nickel Colt in center is 32-30 cal.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zyJ_wyi5QC4/UJVDP8-eIuI/AAAAAAAABtE/0yaNr8L0p-o/s800/IMG_1766.JPG

Colt .45
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-p-uQjDhje-8/UJVDRrXs2cI/AAAAAAAABto/wsaIcLHM9D8/s800/IMG_1770.JPG

DMH

mavracer
November 3, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've got a bunch of Rugers a few Ubertis and a USFA and love single actions and cowboy guns in general. I figure I had to have at least one real Colt. Fit and finish is better than the Rugers and Ubertis and all of them are shooters. So for me the answer is yes, but ultimately you must answer for yourself.

Ky Larry
November 3, 2012, 02:32 PM
I don't own a Colt SAA but I do have a Colt Python and a Colt Police Positive .38Spl made in 1932. My wife has claimed my Detective Special. I own lots of other brands (Ruger, S&W, Kimber,CZ, Dan Wesson,etc) but there is something about Colts that just make me :D.You either get it or you don't.

Cactus Jack Arizona
November 3, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'd love to have a Colt Python, but I can't justify the money for it when there are other .357's out there that are just as good.

fastest45ever
November 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fit and finish? Turnbull, Huntington, etc. can do a presentation blue on a Ruger that would
knock your eyes out. I will say the blue on some old Colts I shot equaled their work, however.

The New Rugers, at least the Single Six under my bed, is REALLY good. It's a great value at the 400-500 dollar range they are selling at. I think much better then the older guns, when they sold in the 300-400 dollar range.

My concern for a shooter is the parts for a Colt. One of the reasons I didn't feel too bad about trading my Colt was the internal parts weren't all forged, Trooper Mark III, and replacing them was very difficult and expensive.

If you like stainless, I don't think you'll really need to do anything to a new Ruger for finish, and the fit is probably good as you can shoot it.

BFR's are far better, and as PabloJ points out, FA's are out there in the Colt
price range.

DPris
November 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
The parts in a Peacemaker are not sintered or MIM, and besides Colt there are other sources for excellent quality parts if you should need to replace anything.

Denis

SaxonPig
November 3, 2012, 09:31 PM
"I'd love to have a Colt Python, but I can't justify the money for it when there are other .357's out there that are just as good."

Um... which would those be? The closest in a production revolver would be the pre-1982 S&W Model 27 line and as much as love my 27s they do not equal the Python in fit and finish.

http://www.fototime.com/CD60409C0D38CBB/standard.jpg

DPris
November 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
The definition of "good" could easily run into another 50 pages here.

The Python is a very pretty gun, with a nice action.
The Smiths can be pretty, with nice actions.
The Rugers are workhorses, and can have nice actions.

I cringed when I saw CJA's post, surprised it took this long for the inevitable challenge. :)

For a go-anywhere-get-me-back-again .357, I'd choose the Ruger as the "gooder" gun.
If I wanted pretty & smooth, I'd choose the Python as the "gooder" gun.
If I wanted a middle-roader, I'd choose a Smith as the "gooder" gun.

Pointless to argue over it.

The Python just isn't as highly regarded by some of us as it is by others, fit & finish is not the sole decider, and there's room for those on both sides. :)

I sold my Python because I got tired of it being in the safe.
Bought another Ruger earlier this summer because it wouldn't be living in the safe forever.
The Python had a burr in the trigger return when I got it new in the mid 90s, and a plastic front sight blade. It was pretty, but it wasn't markedly more accurate than my Smiths & nowhere near as rugged as my Rugers.
I did not revere it as the epitome of the gunmaker's art. :)

The Rugers aren't pretty, and they may shoot a half-inch wider at 25 yards, but they get used.

It's a matter of individual preferences & needs, and the Python simply isn't worshipped by everybody.
Denis

Pilot
November 4, 2012, 05:39 AM
I bought a few of the recently made Colt 1911's, and I would have to see that they are very, very nice pistols that I bought new for less than $900. The quality is great, and they shoot wonderfully. I wouldn't hesitate too buy a Colt SAA. They are beautiful pistols, and I will own one at some point. I do have a USFA Rodeo in .45 Colt that I use at the range and carry in the field, but it's not a Colt. It is probably one of the better clones, and the same internally as their more expensive pistols.

fastest45ever
November 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
If I was buying another 1911 I would also look at a Colt, if I could find one.
They seem to be reasonably priced for the market.

Is the fit and finish on a Colt SAA really good enough to justify the price, considering the other competitors in the market? Guess it depends on what you find when you go shopping.

Hokkmike
November 4, 2012, 01:43 PM
Would be for me.... The others are copies. In some cases copies are OK.

DPris
November 4, 2012, 05:22 PM
One thing many don't consider is that the Peacemaker is an expensive gun to produce, the way Colt does it. They could do cast frames & chemical case colors, but then it wouldn't be a Peacemaker. :)
They really don't make much off those guns.
Denis

Old Fuff
November 4, 2012, 10:13 PM
And it's a great example of what happens to the price point when a company tries to produce a gun exactly like it was a century or more ago. It isn't that it can't be done, but rather it can't be done and sell it in what would usually be the market.

Ruger on the other hand can, but the results are not the same.

2wheels
November 5, 2012, 12:39 PM
A Colt is a Colt.

Any other single action revolver... Isn't a Colt...

Does that matter? Yes, no, who cares? Do YOU care?

I'm an unashamed Colt fanboy, I love having the prancing pony on the side of my 1911s and someday when I get a SAA it'll be a Colt. That matters to ME... You've gotta decide whether you merely like having a cowboy style single action revolver or whether you want a Colt.

Don't listen to the haters, Colt is producing quality firearms nowadays.

brnmw
November 5, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'd love to have a Colt Python, but I can't justify the money for it when there are other .357's out there that are just as good.

Blasphemy!
There are many a great .357 Mag's, however none will be a great as the immortal "Python"! :D

I was in a conversation this morning with someone at work that wondered why other gun mftr. companies don't make a knock-off "Python" for their revolver lines and offer it for less than $700. I said who on earth would want a "Python" knock off! I would not want a S&W M29 knock-off, and I certainly don't want a Colt SAA knock off if I can help it.

Some people just want the real thing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Old Fuff
November 5, 2012, 06:10 PM
Some people just want the real thing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Yup, you're right, and fanboys will never change - even if something else will do the job better for about the same (or sometimes less) cost. Some of our better known makers have been living on their name and (mostly justified) reputation for a long time. But this does not mean that some new kid on the block can't come up with something better for the intended purpose. The ultimate proof will be found on where the holes in the target are... :uhoh:

MMCSRET
November 6, 2012, 10:36 PM
Of course it is. A "real" Colt is different than a "real" S&W or Taurus, or Ubertti or any other brand. If you want a Colt don't buy anything that's not!!!!! Seems simple to me.

fastest45ever
November 6, 2012, 11:01 PM
"but I was wondering, would it be worth it to get a real colt? I mean is there a benefit to them other then the name? Cause $2000 is a lot to shell out for a shooting iron(I know that's high side, but the lowest ive seen is 1400) Your input?"

The benefit to Colts are they hold their value, or go up better then pretty much any of the other guns mentioned.

How are the new SAA Colt's made? Are they CNC? All forged? Still using union labor, made in America? Old factory, new factory?:confused:
New factory, close to the old one.

http://www.gunblast.com/Colt-NF.htm

rodinal220
November 7, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yes,Colt puts out a good product.I have Colt,USPF/USFA,and Uberti's.Now my two Uberti Cattlemens in 45 Colt will out shoot accuracy wise the Colt or the USFA I have(YMMV).
The USFA IMHO is a bit nicer in fit and finish than the Colt.The Ubertis,while nice shooters,will never feel or handle like a real Colt or USFA gun.
When you hold and cock,C-O-L-T, a USFA or Colt gun,you know where the money went.They also have real color case and not a chemical bath finish.

The Colt will always hold its value better and be more desirable by collectors.

Queen_of_Thunder
November 7, 2012, 10:16 AM
While I do own some Colts ( Anaconda,King Cobra,Diamondback, New Service, a Talo Colt(the Ricardo) and a Lawman III, I must admit I am a S&W revolver fan first and foremost. Don't get me wrong Colts are fine but I prefer the S&W revolvers over any other brand. BTW don't waste your money on a Python when a Colt Lawman III will do. I swear mine has the sweetest trigger Colt has ever turned out and that includes the Python.

bannockburn
November 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have several recent Colt offerings (Lightweight Government, Government, Commander, and New Agent), that are some of the best guns, in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy that I have seen from them in quite some time.

If you want an single action revolver that is truly authentic and that will hold its value for years to come, then I would say get yourself a Colt.

Cactus Jack Arizona
November 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
"Um... which would those be? The closest in a production revolver would be the pre-1982 S&W Model 27 line and as much as love my 27s they do not equal the Python in fit and finish."

Why should I spend a ton of money for a used Python when I can get a new GP100 for less? I'm not saying Colts are mediocre guns. In fact, they are fine guns. However, when you buy a used Python you are simply paying for a name and the romance of a day gone by. The GP100 is just as fine a revolver as the Python without the inflated price.

Trad Archer
November 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
Colt.

alienbogey
November 7, 2012, 10:17 PM
"Why should I spend a ton of money for a used Python when I can get a new GP100 for less? I'm not saying Colts are mediocre guns. In fact, they are fine guns. However, when you buy a used Python you are simply paying for a name and the romance of a day gone by. The GP100 is just as fine a revolver as the Python without the inflated price."

Well, if you spend that ton of money on the Python the next day it will still be worth the same ton of money. Spend money on the brand new Ruger and the next day it will be a used Ruger, and worth substantially less than what you just paid for it.

Same principle as a new car—sign the papers, drive it off the lot, and you lose money.

Next year the Python will likely be worth more than you paid for it, and next year the Ruger will still be just a used Ruger.

(This is from a guy with two Pythons and six Rugers.)

fastest45ever
November 8, 2012, 05:22 AM
Bowen wrote me something similar:
When he gets done with a ruger, it's still a Ruger. What he meant, and in context of the question, is that no matter what he does, he can't turn a Ruger tolerances into Freedom Arms tolerances.

The problem I have with Colts is at the new price point, or used around here, I can buy a Freedom Arms that is little used for less, and has already depreciated.

For the same money as a Colt I get a FAR better gun, for usually less then a new colt costs.

I do wonder how well speced the Colts are, how well made and how tight the cylinders are, and how they spec against a BFR or FA.

Inherent in that question is the problem is the problems with many Ruger
single actions: The specs and tolerances they find acceptable are not close to the specs of higher priced guns, and, getting the guns to shoot with the better guns can make them cost near what a Colt or FA would cost. YMMV.

Shadow 7D
November 8, 2012, 05:28 AM
Um
read there are now more 'authentic' "real" colt SSA revolvers than colt ever made back in the day, they just seem to be multiplying.....

Old Fuff
November 8, 2012, 08:40 AM
When he gets done with a ruger, it's still a Ruger. What he meant, and in context of the question, is that no matter what he does, he can't turn a Ruger tolerances into Freedom Arms tolerances.

It depends on your perspective.

Those that insist it must be a Colt are buying not only a revolver, but a name and it's history. The latter is often based on fiction. That said, the current quality does match the name's reputation.

Those who buy Freedom Arms want the best accuracy obtainable from any production class revolver made, and sometimes it will best even more expensive custom guns. While Colt's over-the-counter single action's can't touch the kind of all-the-bullets-in-one-hole offered by Freedom Arms, that isn't what they're fans are interested in.

You are looking at two different classes of buyers in two different sub-markets.

fastest45ever
November 9, 2012, 12:58 AM
The problem with the market is indeed that it is very small, and dominated by some not very friendly buyers, and some really rude buyers and gunsmiths.

However, that said, in most of the US, it's enough to keep Colts' production at a
pretty high cost.

I assume the Colt union employees are well paid, unlike a lot of the industry, and that is passed onto the consumer.

SAA are not a high priority, since government contracts have paid Colt huge amounts for certain guns that come to mind, and forced other areas onto the back burner.

What I was trying to get at is that if I have a choice, I'm going to start my customs with a Freedom Arms, or BFR, not a Colt. YMMV.

Ruger Maximums also go against the depreciation for Rugers, and the Lipseys as well.
You can turn Rugers into tack drivers. But, why start with a Ruger?

CraigC
November 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
First off, I apologize in advance to Denis. You know where this is going before I even get started. ;)

In my view, there is no other subject in the world of firearms that better proves to me that perception is everything. People have a lot of weird perceptions when it comes to Colt's. While single actions are a passion for me that often defies logic and reasoning, I apply a whole lot more logic and reasoning here than blind emotion. When I buy a SAA, I want the best, most authentic sixgun I can get for my dollar and that my friends is NOT a 3rd generation Colt SAA. It takes a lot more than a famous name stamped on a sixgun to impress me. IMHO, there is no more "authenticity" in a new Colt than there is in any replica. Colt's are a little better with nicer, real case colors than Uberti and that famous name but that's about it. Sam Colt's heir does not run Colt Industries. It is a corporation like any other. A company which has survived a long time on its name with lackluster products and overpaid union employees. That Colt romance is an illusion. The original Colt SAA was a handbuilt masterpiece. It was hand finished with a bone charcoal color case hardened frame, loading gate and hammer. The blued parts were finished with charcoal bluing (not that crap the imports market as charcoal blue), which is one of the most beautiful, striking and durable blued finishes available. While the overall design is the same, you won't find such things on a new Colt. You'll find muted case colors, hot salt bluing and a white sided hammer. If you buy a Colt more than a few years old, you'll probably also find a lot of overpolished parts and a lot of roughness inside. My own 3rd generation New Frontier .45Colt looks like it was polished by an angry 600lb gorilla. It also took me several hours of stoning to get the action smooth enough to be acceptable. That, to me, is no more "authentic" than a Ruger.

Enter USFA. We had no idea how good an SAA could be until USFA showed us. These guns are precisely machined on CNC equipment. They are properly polished. The flats remain flat, the screw holes are not dished out, the lettering is not wallowed out and the edges are crisp and sharp. The standard single action, which costs $200-$300 less than a new Colt, has a comparable hot salt blue finish and white-sided hammer but brilliant case colors applied by Turnbull. If you spring for the Pre-war model, you're paying Colt money (~$1200) but you're also getting the gorgeous charcoal bluing of old and those same spectacular authentic bone charcoal case colors with a colored hammer. The inside is as well finished as the outside. No roughness, no machine marks, no lack of attention. These guns were made to shoot and with precision. The dimensions are correct for their chamberings, something Colt still can't get right. The actions must be felt to be appreciated. They are smooth and feel like a precision instrument. No action job is necessary for proper, slick function.

IMHO, if you want an authentic new SAA, you want a USFA Pre-war. Period. They are more authentic reproductions of the original 1st generation sixguns and are better made guns throughout. If you want a second-rate replica with little in common with the original, other than a famous name, buy the Colt illusion. The newer Colt SAA's are much improved over previous 3rd generation iterations but are still a poor value. At least they have re-introduced the New Frontier and Turnbull will be doing the case colors.

Although you better hurry on those USFA's because it looks like that gravy train is over and done with. Which is truly sad.

If you want a "real" Colt, buy a 1st or 2nd generation gun.

I could buy whatever I want and my money goes into USFA's:
http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_0950b.jpg

The benefit to Colts are they hold their value, or go up better then pretty much any of the other guns mentioned.
This is the myth that just won't die. Newer Colt's depreciate just like any other used gun. There is no magic here. You can't buy a new Colt for $1200, shoot it for ten years and sell it for more than you paid. Folks really need to stop repeating this nonsense. The truth is that Colt SAA's have been $1200 for as long as I can remember. So if you bought a new Colt SAA 20yrs ago for $1200, your sixgun is actually worth less due to inflation AND because the guns of the last 5yrs are vastly superior in every way. Old Colt's retain their value. 3rd generation guns are like everything else.

Pilot
November 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
Is USFA going under? I noticed there product line is very limited.

DPris
November 11, 2012, 12:45 PM
:D
Denis

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
1911's and AR's---I'll take a Colt every time and not look back

Single actions--not so much---price is way out of line for what you get and in relation to the competition.

fastest45ever
November 13, 2012, 03:09 AM
Excellent work, CraigC.
Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a real colt worth it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!