1972 S&W - Too Nice To Shoot?

PDA

doc540
November 1, 2012, 03:48 PM
K-38 Masterpiece: 14-3 (edited)

Well, the "to shoot or collect" question got answered today:o

sighted in at 50yds for silhouette matches

Final adjustments put 6 rounds in the 11 o'clock position after shooting low right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smith%2014-3/Target1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smith%2014-3/K38a.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1972 S&W - Too Nice To Shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
November 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
It's already fired. It's a target/range gun.. it'll see no holster wear etc. Shoot the heck out of that range queen.

doc540
November 1, 2012, 06:59 PM
I like the way you think! :)

Certaindeaf
November 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
It sure is a beauty. Be a shame not to shoot it!

BYJO4
November 1, 2012, 07:16 PM
Great looking model 14. Enjoy shooting it as it appears to be very accurate.

AnthonyRSS
November 1, 2012, 07:26 PM
That is a gun I would like to own one day.

doc540
November 1, 2012, 07:36 PM
stay tuned

If I need to go to a .44 to knock down the big silhouettes, I'll do it:uhoh:

content
November 1, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hello friends and neighbors /// It is a beauty, ty for sharing.
The 40 year old just found a good home.

Good choices, buying it and shooting it.

meef
November 1, 2012, 07:52 PM
I don't know.

That thing would be a lot more practical if you'd cut that barrel down a few inches.

doc540
November 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
"I don't know.

That thing would be a lot more practical if you'd cut that barrel down a few inches.

:D

Iggy
November 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
That sure is a beauty.

We use those long barreled critters for shootin' pasture poodles outchere in the wild west.

Thing is the bullet is half way there before it gits caught up in the Wyoming wind.;)

doc540
November 1, 2012, 10:07 PM
"pasture poodles"! :D

now, that's a new one on me!

Driftwood Johnson
November 1, 2012, 10:12 PM
Howdy

No, it is not too nice to shoot, I would certainly shoot it if it were mine. Nice that you got all the goodies and the box with it. Keep them in their baggies, it makes a nice set.

By the way, if it were mine I would put the original grips back on. I like to keep older guns in the same configuration they left the factory.

doc540
November 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
to each his own

The larger target stocks help me shoot it better.

And, at my age, I need all the help I can get. :o

PaisteMage
November 1, 2012, 11:16 PM
Im jealous.

As a , halfway done with college, gift I am thinking of getting a S&W.
Thinking of model 17, since i love .22 revolvers (and don't own one yet).

Possibly a nice .38 or .357 by S and W from the years of long ago.

rswartsell
November 1, 2012, 11:45 PM
Listen son, (now ain't that condescending?)

Bullseye is bullseye and combat is combat and n'ere the twain shall meet. I like bullseye guns and in extremis, a bullseye gun can kill you.

But for just plain bullseye, what a gun! Whadda ya want for it after the "mall ninjas" get done with you? I like bullseye. Call me old fashioned, call me sentimental, just call me.

bannockburn
November 2, 2012, 12:12 AM
doc540

That's one sweet looking Model 14. The bluing on that gun is simply fantastic. And honestly, I don't think that you could ever have a fine target revolver like that and say that it's too nice to shoot. That's what it was designed and built for so take it out to the range and enjoy what it can do.

aarondhgraham
November 2, 2012, 02:12 PM
But the Model 14 is simply named Masterpiece,,,
The 4" Model 15 is the Combat Masterpiece.

http://aarondgraham.com/lwat/handguns/12-stella.JPG

I need a 6" Model 14 and Model 17 like that,,,
Yours is a beautiful gun my friend.

Aarond

doc540
November 2, 2012, 02:43 PM
that is correct

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smith%2014-3/14-3withBox.jpg

ColtPythonElite
November 2, 2012, 06:03 PM
I ring silhouettes with that piece.

bluetopper
November 4, 2012, 12:52 AM
There's no greater pleasure in handgunning than spending an afternoon with a model 14 and a large ziplock baggie full of 148gr cast lead wadcutter reloads.;)

Driftwood Johnson
November 4, 2012, 07:04 AM
But the Model 14 is simply named Masterpiece,,,
The 4" Model 15 is the Combat Masterpiece.

Howdy Again

With S&W, there are no absolutes. Over time they went back and forth with some of their definitions. Here is a photo of my Model 19 that I bought new in the box in 1975. You can see the instruction manual is clearly labeled Combat Magnum, despite the fact that the gun has a six inch barrel. I don't have a photo of the end of the box, but I just checked, and it says .357 COMBAT MAGNUM on the end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/smith%20and%20wesson/Model_19-1.jpg

PabloJ
November 4, 2012, 07:48 AM
Over last 20 years I shot some rare stuff like Colt Pocket Nine, Winchester 777, Marlin LC Smith and Remington 660 Magnum. I would not keep this boxed in a safe. There a whole bunch of them out there in peoples drawers and closets. If you enjoy just staring at nice stuff I would get into stamp or coin collecting. It is very enjoyable activity practiced by many worldwide.

Guillermo
November 4, 2012, 09:25 AM
Doc is once again making us drool over his beautiful gun.

Sure, using it will cause a drag ring, but it is not like you are going to conceal carry it. It will lovingly be carted to the range in a wool-lined scabbard designed for a
mare's-leg

doc540
November 4, 2012, 09:09 PM
close!

two in a box ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/005-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/003-4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/002-2-1.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
November 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
It should shoot just fine, and should take tens of thousands of target loads before wearing it out. You won't be banging it around or carrying it in a holster.

doc540
November 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
may not be popular with some, but I like'em and shoot better with'em

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smith%2014-3/TargetStocks1.jpg

rswartsell
November 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
Back to what I was saying cuz. Combat is combat and....well you get the idea.:D

That piece has a full blown target barrel, action, sights, etc. It was crying out for full blown target grips.

P.S. The wise know when "perfection" is reached and stop there. Every man decides where that is for him. I see the trigger shoe. This is where I would stop. Some go further. Now a '60s vintage Pachmayr box, a target 1911 and .22 to keep it company? Meat and potatoes to me.

Old Fuff
November 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
Frankly, while it's a fine revolver at this time it's too common to attract serious collectors. In this particular case there isn't a good reason not to shoot it if you want to. Whatever increase in value that comes in the foreseeable future will come from other shooters.

Guillermo
November 8, 2012, 10:21 AM
Doc is going to shoot his "new" rifle often

just for fun
November 8, 2012, 05:26 PM
Many a year has passe since I've seen a set of target grips like those! Yours appears to be an earlier model than mine . Much "richer" bluing on your compared to that is found on the Puma era frames. Even with the mid 70's bluing she still shoots beautiful groups.

Float Pilot
November 8, 2012, 05:43 PM
Shoot, preserve, display and brag...

If we don't pass down our knowlege and love of the sport, we will be the last of our breed.

doc540
November 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
thank you, gentlemen

Yesterday it shot handloads at 50yds like a dreamboat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smith%2014-3/IMAG0650-1.jpg

Even shoots better with the vintage target stocks

Can't wait until the next silhouette match.

Piggies and rams prepare to meet your maker. ;)

rswartsell
November 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
Those stocks are what my 14-2 wears right now. I AM considering a trigger shoe though!

Checkman
November 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
Very nice. It's a beauty. And I agree with other posters. Shoot it. Take care of it, but enjoy it as well.

OldCavSoldier
November 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
One says poh-tay-toh another says poh-tah-toh.......both are spuds.....but don't taste until you eat 'em.

I say, shoot the wheel-gun, shoot it often, shoot it with friends, shoot it with your kids, shoot it with your grand kids, pass it on to your kids/grand kids/great-grandkids and tell them to shoot it......

They will NEVER wear it out........

(You lucky guy!)

dbracin
November 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
That's beautiful! Shoot it and enjoy it.

OilyPablo
November 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
I think I'm in love.

How can I tell?

Oh yeah, 50 yards? You have some great eyes! And obviously good technique.

GuysModel94
November 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Having a gun you don't shoot, is like having a wife who sleeps in a different bedroom!! LOL

doc540
November 18, 2012, 11:57 PM
Having a gun you don't shoot, is like having a wife who sleeps in a different bedroom!! LOL

I like to snuggle. ;)

Went from NIB to the range as soon as I could get there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/DSCN4309-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/1911/Colt%20Gold%20Cup%201978/goldcup3-2.jpg

Ky Larry
November 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
As I've said before, having a gun like that and not shooting it is like being married to Miss America and having seperate bedrooms.

I shoot my Python, my Model-17, my Model-29, and my Model-19.

PabloJ
November 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
I will never understand those that buy guns in boxes and never take those out to shoot. I see those for sale second-hand all the time. Why buy gun one is never going to use?

Old Fuff
November 19, 2012, 07:47 PM
I see those for sale second-hand all the time. Why buy gun one is never going to use?

Because some people understand how to make money doing exactly that. They don't necessarily hold what they buy for a lifetime either. With the right gun (which of course doesn't happen very often) I have doubled my money in a few weeks and gone on to buy something even better. :what:

Everybody has a right to do whatever they want with the guns they buy, and obviously most go out and shoot them. That said, there is no law against making money if you can.

Always remember: More money = more or better guns.

doc540
November 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
I turned it into a factory ported 629.:)

Guillermo
November 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
I turned it into a factory ported 629

that is soooo sad for you

but great for the guy on the other side of the trade!!!

LeonCarr
November 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
I am 100% shooter, 0% collector.

A shooting buddy purchased a NIB Colt 1991A1 .45, would bring it to the range, and would not shoot it. Keeping it at home and looking at it is one thing, but taking it to the range and doing that? Come on.

After I walked up and down the line during a cease fire telling the story, and 6 people coming up and cheering him on, he shot it. Now he shoots it every time he goes to the range and absolutely loves it.

There is no such thing as a gun too nice to shoot.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

*GunNut*
November 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
What fabulous gun. It truly is a master piece.

orionengnr
November 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
That blueing is beautiful...just incredible.

doc540
November 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
that is soooo sad for you

but great for the guy on the other side of the trade!!!

wasn't a trade, but I am crying all the way to the bank ;)

Guillermo
November 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
as long as you are happy

I would have been much happier on the receiving end of that deal.

Like u traded a Python for a brace of glocks.

But hey...you feel like you won...so I am happy for you.

doc540
November 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
Let's review:

I was looking for a centerfire to shoot the iron sight class of silhouette matches.

Enter the 14-3 (a "not rare", but pretty piece).

Turns out the 14-3 was far nicer than I expected and wasn't best for high round counts of +P ammo.

I tried reloads in the 14-3.
Non +P ammo turned out to be a little light for the heaviest steel plates and often turned them sideways instead of knocking them down.

After selling the 14-3, I bought a ported 629 to shoot .44 Special, a solid plate knocker.

I made enough on the 14-3 to own the 629 for "Taurus" money. (wink, wink)

If I don't shoot the 629 well, it too will be replaced. :neener:

Guillermo
November 20, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hey Doc

If you are happy...great

doc540
November 20, 2012, 01:18 AM
Truth is, I won't be happy until I get either one gun I can effectively compete with in both irons or optics classes or two guns that share a common ammo.

Just wasn't really clear why you were comparing the deal to Pythons and Glocks.

I sold one gun I couldn't compete with, made good money, and bought another gun that I hope will do the job better.

You ought to know me well enough by now to know I wasn't going to be giving myself the short end of any stick in no kind'a gun deal. :evil:

Guillermo
November 20, 2012, 01:27 AM
I wasn't going to be giving myself the short end of any stick in no kind'a gun deal.

Doc ol' buddy...you may have done well with the money...but I suspect you are going to be kicking yourself down the road.

But again...I am glad you are happy...AND made some cash

:)

doc540
November 20, 2012, 01:38 AM
You know, about 10 or 12 years ago my wife got real sick, and the insurance company denied all her claims.

So, we sold everything we could and spent our savings to get her treated.

I sold nearly all my guns and collectibles, my favorite cars and toys.

Money-wise it broke us.

Since then, I just haven't gotten too attached to any of my guns or "toys".

About a year ago I got laid off and had to sell my ivory Gold Cup, the custom Commander in .45 (twin to the 9mm), my '67 Ruger Single Six with the vintage Lawrence rig, all my favorite guns. All those Colt snubs are gone, too, every last one of them.

But we never missed a meal or a payment.

Things are turning around, and I'm flipping one to buy another, but still not really collecting again.

Now every gun I own is just a "shooter" of one kind or another.

However, I have managed to send a low-end Colt 1911 to the Custom Shop for a Royal Blue refinish. That'll be my only "look-at" gun. But, if necessary, I'll sell it faster'n a minnow can swim a dipper.

Truth be known, I just shrug and move on rather than regret or kick myself. :)

Guillermo
November 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
I just shrug and move on rather than regret or kick myself

: )

I here ya' amigo.

And may you and yours never have such a problem again.

If you enjoyed reading about "1972 S&W - Too Nice To Shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!