Who's hunting with a shotgun this year?

PDA

336A
November 1, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've decided to pull out the 12GA Mossberg 500 this year for deer season. I used to deer hunt a lot with this gun when I was younger. when I was 16 busted my rear on the farm to get the then new 24" rifled cantilever barrel. sabot slugs are just to expensive for my tastes anymore though. I recently purchased a 20" vent rib barrel and will be using federal Truball slugs. I really like the way slugs hammer deer, they just drop as if flipping a switch. I've never had a rifle shot deer react in the same manner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's hunting with a shotgun this year?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Patocazador
November 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
Big fat bullets (like a slug or Maxi-ball) will put 'em on the ground 'rat now'.

MCgunner
November 1, 2012, 07:09 PM
Well, I've already kilt a lot of doves with mine. Time for my musket to come out of storage. :D .50 is all the caliber I need. Shotguns are for the birds. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aktion/action-smiley-038.gif

tacxted
November 1, 2012, 07:47 PM
Ill be using my 870 with a rifled choke tube. I got back from the woods an hour ago, we saw lots of sign but nothing in the bag yet.

PonyKiller
November 1, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'll be out with my mossberg 500 this year. Not much choice in jersey, I shoot the Hornady slugs with mine. at 2.25 a pull it's not a plinker that's for sure. I sight it in and wait! crossing my fingers for better luck and better weather this year.

27hand
November 1, 2012, 09:24 PM
I will be unless I score another deer with my arrow gun ( new ten point wicked ridge invader)in the next 2 weeks.

I use an Ithaca Deerslayer in 12ga. with a 20" rifled bbl and a cheap Simmons 3X9 on top.

I use Rem copper solid sabots that group at about 2" at 100. Lightfields are a bit tighter but I still have 6 boxes of Rem's solids so will keep using them till they're gone. I have probably posted the target pics in other threads. Last years target.http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Targets%20and%20steel%20pics/004-3.jpg

My county is SG only for about the last 20 yrs or so.

I started using regular slugs in 2 3/4" and 3". Ugly 12 groups.
BRI sabots brought the groups in to about 4" @100.
Winchester bought them out and I continued using them for a few years with pretty good results.
My buddy was using Rem copper solids. I tried and liked them but they are costly.

I shot a doe last year in our extended season at about 70 yds. It went 20 yds.
The sabots are costly so I only shoot 2 shot sight in groups ea yr. The SG groups tighter than my pump .06.

red rick
November 1, 2012, 09:29 PM
I just bought a Savage 220 to try out this year. The scope mounts will be here tomorrow, so I hope I can sight it in Sunday.

LeonCarr
November 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
I can legally hunt with rifles where I hunt, but I will be taking a fully rifled barrel Remington 870 loaded with Winchester/BRI Sabot Slugs.

The terrain I hunt consists mostly of pine forests and post oak savannahs where 60 yards is a long shot and made to order for the slug gun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

JEB
November 2, 2012, 12:23 AM
i will be. here in Iowa, it is almost shotgun only. lucilly i live and hunt in one of the few counties that allow the use of centerfire rifles during our January antlerless season. but during December it is shotgun/handgun only.

i will be using my mossberg mav. 88 with a fully rifled moss. 500 barrel and a 1.75-4x bushnell scope, shooting federal power-shok sabots. i used to really hate shotgun hunting with a passion due to the crappy accuracy (pie plate groups at 50 yards), but once i got everything just the way it should be (good slugs, rifled barrel, scope, etc...) i am much more confident in it. talk about an accuracy improvement, im down to 1.5-1.75" groups at 100 yards!

T.R.
November 2, 2012, 06:35 AM
I've taken many whitetails in Bucks County with my slug gun. But recoil has always been annoying to me. So I made the switch to modern muzzle-loader by CVA and never looked back.

TR

heeler
November 2, 2012, 09:29 AM
My brother and this weekend.
I bought him a super clean Winchester 1300 Deer barrel shotgun a couple of years ago for $150 and he put a 4x Bushnell Banner shotgun scope on it earlier this year.
Groups Brenneke K.O. slugs pretty good.
Hope he scores.

Patocazador
November 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ill be using my 870 with a rifled choke tube. I got back from the woods an hour ago, we saw lots of sign but nothing in the bag yet.
I got one of those rifled tubes for my 870. I would have sold it to you 1/2 price. Make sure and try a slug with an I.C. tube and compare. After doing that yours will probably be for sale too.

Hunterdad
November 2, 2012, 05:28 PM
It's shotgun only where I hunt. You can use handguns as well, so I considered taking out my T/C Contender in .30-30. But, I got the NEF Pardner Pump out last night and got the slug barrel put on. Ordered up a scope base and will be putting a red dot on it. I think its going to be a great set-up for where I hunt.

27hand
November 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
Not sure now if I'll have room in the freezer. Got another deer this morn with the crossbow.

I still have 2 tags so I might go sight the slugger in.

lobo9er
November 3, 2012, 03:42 PM
Ithaca 37 deer slayer and a ruger super redhawk.

The ol m37 has never let me down.

336A
November 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
I love those ol Ithaca Deer Slayers. That is what my BIL uses, he has killed more deer with it than anyone I know. He just never seems to miss with that gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's hunting with a shotgun this year?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!