First Day of Muzzleloader Today ( Good Day )

PDA

red rick
November 4, 2012, 12:45 AM
I got my first deer of the year with my smokepole today. I was just getting ready to come down from my treestand and get some lunch. Then for some reason I decided to stay another 15 mins. and I'm glad I did. He stepped out about 20 yards from me, with almost a perfect broadside shot. I was using a bleep call about every 15 mins. He came out almost where I had my doe scent.

I let a small buck walk about 45 mins. before. He busted me and I was down wind of him.

I was using a CVA Accura with 2 whitehots and 50 cal. 250 gr. Hornady SST sabots. It passed all the way through. He barely showed a sign that he was hit that bad. There was blood everywhere. I had no trouble tracking him through the thick woods the way he was bleeding. I found him about 40 yards from where I shot him.

8 Points, 170 lbs.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Day of Muzzleloader Today ( Good Day )" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PonyKiller
November 4, 2012, 11:23 AM
good shooting! still a month and a week till the six day firearm season here in jersey, then the permit shotgun seasons, a buddy got a buck with a bow here yesterday morning. It's rapidly closing in and i'm getting jazzed for my chance to get one!

squarepants33889
November 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
Very nice. Look at the brow tines on that bad boy! Nice shootin!

627PCFan
November 4, 2012, 05:31 PM
Nice deer. Congrts . Did you get any expansion with the sst or two 45 Cal holes?

red rick
November 4, 2012, 06:47 PM
It was a pass through at 20 yards. The exit hole looked slightly larger. I didn't recover the bullet. I looked for it today with a metal detector just for curiosity.

I call it maize
November 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
Solid buck right there!

Patocazador
November 4, 2012, 07:55 PM
Very nice. Congrats!

If you enjoyed reading about "First Day of Muzzleloader Today ( Good Day )" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!