One of My Holy Grail Pistols has Arrived

PDA

Rinspeed
November 4, 2012, 09:31 AM
It's been a long time coming but I was finally able to make it happen. It wasn't an easy decision either but sometimes you have to follow your gut instincts. Thank God I have an understanding wife. Full range report and some good pics to follow. I think I might have set some sort of record because the shipping was $190 from CA.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "One of My Holy Grail Pistols has Arrived" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
November 4, 2012, 09:33 AM
I've seen those.

How did you manage to get gouged for $190 shipping?
That boggles my mind.

scaatylobo
November 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
Unless it was shipped from europe,why a bill of $190.00?

Nice gun but that might add too much for me to spend,hope you LOVE it.

crashbuell
November 4, 2012, 10:16 AM
Brutal shipping... Nice gun though!

Certaindeaf
November 4, 2012, 11:05 AM
So what did you get?

usp9
November 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
The X-5 is very nice indeed. Enjoy. I also wonder why so much to ship it. USPS, FFL to FFL would be $20 or so with insurance. Common carrier overnight at $50 or so.

bds
November 4, 2012, 01:23 PM
Nice! It's good to fulfill our dreams.

When I was a teenager, I dreamed of owning a Sig P226 and when I finally bought one years later, it was an emotional experience to range test it.

Look forward to your range report.

holdencm9
November 4, 2012, 01:28 PM
Dude that is pretty awesome, but I have to ask: can you really have more than one "holy grail gun?" Isn't that kind of sacrilegious? :)

Ah I am just jealous since I have zero HGG's. :(

Rinspeed
November 4, 2012, 01:58 PM
I was pretty upset about the shipping but I did get him to agree to pay half of it. He had told me $120 is what his dealer had quoted him but when he called from the dealers it was $190 UPS overnight with $2500 insurance. So I guess the dealer got a $100 transfer fee. :fire:

Skylerbone
November 4, 2012, 04:21 PM
Beautiful pistol. Not the sort of thing I dreamt of as a kid, I thought I'd have a bazooka and a bikini clad wife by now. :( Maybe I'll move to Texas some day and get that bazooka. :D

It's only money and yours seems well spent regardless of shipping cost. Congratulations and good hunting on the rest of your Grail quest.

gunnutery
November 5, 2012, 01:34 AM
I thought the transfer fee was supposed to be on the receiving end at YOUR dealer.

tarosean
November 5, 2012, 02:18 AM
I thought the transfer fee was supposed to be on the receiving end at YOUR dealer.

I *think* he meant the dealer charged 100.00 to transfer/ship as a fee on top of the actual shipping costs.

Jed Carter
November 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
Beautiful pistol, worth every penny I would think, I see it comes with 2-10 round magazines. I wonder how the X-5 would stack up to a 9mm 1911?

SharpsDressedMan
November 5, 2012, 08:10 AM
The seller should have had it mailed from a dealer in CA to your FFL. Would have been about $30-$40, even with the ins.

bc1023
November 7, 2012, 12:42 AM
Beautiful pistol, worth every penny I would think, I see it comes with 2-10 round magazines. I wonder how the X-5 would stack up to a 9mm 1911?

That would depend on which 1911 you're referring to.

The Sig X-Five is a specific model. The 1911 is a design.

Jed Carter
November 7, 2012, 06:07 AM
X-5 compared to a good 9mm 1911 like an STI or an STI 2011 9mm, I would think it a toss up. Just for availability of magazines and parts and ease of complete disassembly / reassembly I picked the 1911 platform over others. Still a good looking pistol and it would work well in USPSA Limited/Limited 10, most of the dealers that have them here are asking well over $2000. Now if SIG would like to sponsor a C shooter in IPSC and supply a couple of pistols...

Ash
November 7, 2012, 06:52 AM
Overnight carrier these days runs more like $70-$80. It is obscene and unnecessary as it does more to put focus on handguns in the system.

Skylerbone
November 7, 2012, 08:52 AM
I think the X-5 would best nearly any off the shelf 1911 offering in its price range. There are custom offerings that could tip the scales but not at the $2,000 price ceiling and the 9mm 1911 magazine offerings offer far more opportunity for failures than the Sig which can easily cost you a match.

That said, I can easily understand why the Sig made the OP's list. Perhaps the best of the best.

bc1023
November 7, 2012, 09:21 AM
X-5 compared to a good 9mm 1911 like an STI or an STI 2011 9mm, I would think it a toss up. Just for availability of magazines and parts and ease of complete disassembly / reassembly I picked the 1911 platform over others. Still a good looking pistol and it would work well in USPSA Limited/Limited 10, most of the dealers that have them here are asking well over $2000. Now if SIG would like to sponsor a C shooter in IPSC and supply a couple of pistols...

I'd put the X-Five's build quality above most STIs, if not all of them. Just talking accuracy, its close.

I'm not much for 9mm 1911s or 2011s though. I like my 1911s in 45ACP.

Rinspeed
November 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
I think the X-5 would best nearly any off the shelf 1911 offering in its price range. There are custom offerings that could tip the scales but not at the $2,000 price ceiling and the 9mm 1911 magazine offerings offer far more opportunity for failures than the Sig which can easily cost you a match.

That said, I can easily understand why the Sig made the OP's list. Perhaps the best of the best.

After feeling the trigger, which is unbelievably smooth, and the very tight lock up, I have no doubt this thing is going to do just fine. I don't have it in my hands yet because my stupid NICS gets held up every time. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I might just wait until Sunday to shoot. Brian, have you done any adjusting of the trigger on yours.

bc1023
November 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
After feeling the trigger, which is unbelievably smooth, and the very tight lock up, I have no doubt this thing is going to do just fine. I don't have it in my hands yet because my stupid NICS gets held up every time. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so I might just wait until Sunday to shoot. Brian, have you done any adjusting of the trigger on yours.

Jeff, I left my trigger at the stock weight and reset. It feels about perfect to me.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions. :cool:

Oldnoob
November 7, 2012, 12:04 PM
Congrats.

Rinspeed
November 8, 2012, 10:43 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-2-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-4.jpg

Rinspeed
November 8, 2012, 10:47 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-3-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/X5-1-1.jpg

SwampWolf
November 9, 2012, 05:20 PM
How did you manage to get gouged for $190 shipping?

Via Pony Express driving a Budweiser horse. :)

chris in va
November 10, 2012, 01:17 AM
FFL transfers don't have to go overnight. I've done quite a few through our LGS and they charge $15 for UPS shipping.

Ash
November 11, 2012, 08:37 AM
Right. And if security is the issue, it is absolutely absurd to believe that a package from any Tom, Dick, or Harry is more likely be stolen by UPS employees compared to a small, pistol-sized package from a gun store.

The reality is, the whole issue is price-fixing and is likely illegal. Since it is gun-related, though, we'll continue to get the shaft.

Rinspeed
November 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
I put 300 rounds through it the other day and I couldn't be happier. My dealer didn't have much for 9mm ammo so I ended up with Federal Champion and American Eagle. Not a single issue in the 300 rounds which made me happy as there have been some problems with the internal extractors. Accuracy was outstanding mostly due to the world class trigger and almost non-existent recoil. I guess this should be a given at the price point.

If I had to guess I would say the trigger pull is right around 3.25-3.5# which suits me just fine. I believe it is adjustable down to 2.2 but seeing others will be shooting it I don't see any need to mess with it. The only thing I am going to change is the front sight. I'm so used to having a dot on my front sights the black on black seems a little weird. I'm going to have Gray Guns install a gold bead on the front.

Spending this much money on one pistol has had me scratching my head a few times but you only live once.

Skylerbone
November 17, 2012, 11:33 AM
I like to think I'm a sharing kinda guy. I've long-term loaned firearms to close friends, given many folks at the club a chance to shoot what I've brought, taught some to reload and loaned tools as well, but...I know if that were my pistol I'd have my earplugs in while they lined up!

tarosean
November 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Spending this much money on one pistol has had me scratching my head a few times but you only live once.

Quality over quantity every time...

wild cat mccane
November 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
well any item should get some detractors.

does that mag release button stick out as much as it looks like it does? that looks incredibly weird.

Does the wood grips look as badly fitted on the mag release side in person as it does in the pics? Looks like a laminate piece that is tiled over...

Look fantastic..but those two i couldn't get past...

Twiki357
November 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
Just a thought, but maybe, since it came from CA, the dealer included CA sales tax and showed it as shipping since it should not be charged to an out of state buyer. But then, it is CA so it could require tax on all sales.

If you enjoyed reading about "One of My Holy Grail Pistols has Arrived" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!