HELP: Top Ten Lamest Reasons to Buy Another Handgun

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
November 4, 2012, 08:54 PM
In no particular order, until we have all the offerings. Here's mine: 1) I saw it in a movie. 2) I picked up two coffee cans of brass at the range, and don't have one in that caliber/chambering. 3) I found a pair of Farrant grips for a gun I don't have at the gun show, now I need a gun to put them on. 4) I gave the one I had to my daughter, and now I miss it. 5) I liked the first one so much, I had to get another so I'd never be without one, even after I wear the first one out. 6) I bought another because the first one was too nice to carry. 7) I bought it because the price would never be that good again. 8) I sold it, regret it, and need to replace it. 9) I need a second one for parts for the first one. 10 I'm at the gunshow, and I have to come home with something. I'm sure these are not the best, so let's hear yours! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP: Top Ten Lamest Reasons to Buy Another Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geneseo1911
November 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
1)I didn't have one of that brand yet
2)IL MIGHT pass a CCW law this year, and I'd need a carry gun (or not:fire:)
3)I needed to get one before the surplus market dries up
4)The surplus market dried up, so I need to get one before the price goes up too much more
5)It's in a caliber I didn't have yet
6)It's in a caliber I already have
7)I saw Hickok 45 shooting it
8)I got this email...and it was late...and I was...weak:o
9)I drove all the way to the gun store with this wad of cash and d*&%it I'm buying SOMETHING
10)Everybody on the forum says it the best thing since JMB, sliced bread, and smokeless powder rolled into one

I have purchased guns for all the above reasons. And no, I'm not proud of it...

Anger
November 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hey now! #8 isn't that lame. How about "color combo". Ie the weird color kelteks Or the polymer frame pistols offered in fde and olive drab.

Shadow 7D
November 4, 2012, 09:23 PM
Um
why make excuses

you buy it
you don't

think of something on the way home, or just...... (and this is my favorite)
walk it in, and put it in the safe

tell your wife it's been there for a long time, just in the back, you though it looked neglected so you got it out

and make sure you put the recites away before she finds it.

EDIT:
I saw it in a movie
it looks kool....
'everybody' gots that gat...
and of course, we shant forget Chicken Little
Deys gonna ban it, the men with the black helicopters are gonna come and get them all, so you need to get yours now.....

MedWheeler
November 4, 2012, 09:30 PM
I can only think of two.

1) I don't already have one; one would be cool.
2) I do already have one; another one would be cool.

flatlander937
November 4, 2012, 09:41 PM
I bought a pack of CCI "quiet" .22lr ammo that won't cycle in my 22/45...

So clearly I need to buy a bolt action .22 rifle:evil:

theboyscout
November 4, 2012, 09:41 PM
One of the worst reasons i have herd was....

I bought it to see if i could break it,

guy brought a brand new Glock 21 to drag it behind his truck for 10 mins, just to see if the trigger would release and shoot off the gun, then if it didnít he tried to shoot it (here is the proof of what i say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygcfp40RTKs

huntsman
November 4, 2012, 09:45 PM
How about "color combo". Ie the weird color kelteks Or the polymer frame pistols offered in fde and olive drab.

+1 I just bought a new pair of tan shoes and need a new gun to match;)

FWIW all my shoes are brown or black:)

Scuba_Steve
November 4, 2012, 09:50 PM
The only reason I need.

1) I want it :)

Dr_2_B
November 4, 2012, 09:57 PM
"Flick says he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski's candy store!"

- RALPHIE PARKER

PabloJ
November 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
In no particular order, until we have all the offerings. Here's mine: 1) I saw it in a movie. 2) I picked up two coffee cans of brass at the range, and don't have one in that caliber/chambering. 3) I found a pair of Farrant grips for a gun I don't have at the gun show, now I need a gun to put them on. 4) I gave the one I had to my daughter, and now I miss it. 5) I liked the first one so much, I had to get another so I'd never be without one, even after I wear the first one out. 6) I bought another because the first one was too nice to carry. 7) I bought it because the price would never be that good again. 8) I sold it, regret it, and need to replace it. 9) I need a second one for parts for the first one. 10 I'm at the gunshow, and I have to come home with something. I'm sure these are not the best, so let's hear yours! :D
The only valid reason to own more then one is if something truly unfortunate happens law enforcement personnel will confiscate gun as evidence pending resolution of incident. Gun lovers really need three handguns: .22 for practice, .38 to .45 for defensive use and .44Mag or larger with longer barrel for hunting. Since I detest shooting and "hunt" for meat protein at local supermarkets I only own one handgun.

SharpsDressedMan
November 4, 2012, 09:59 PM
Steve, is that one reason your LAMEST reason?:D

Solo
November 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
Because it was there.

PabloJ
November 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
At hight of my "blued steel disease" I owned about 16 firearms. I never want to go there again. Not long ago I seen lovely .458Magnum built on commercial Mauser action by famous European manufacturer. I almost fell for it but by grace of the Lord I was able to say NO.

Shadow 7D
November 4, 2012, 10:05 PM
Pablo, that's it?
I think I have had dresser drawers better armed than you were.

PabloJ
November 4, 2012, 10:09 PM
Pablo, that's it?
I think I have had dresser drawers better armed than you were.
Thankfully I'm down to two Glock pistol and classic pump gun.

Mike J
November 4, 2012, 10:18 PM
I only own 11 firearms. If I get one more that will make it an even dozen. It makes more sense to have a nice even number.

I haven't actually used this reason yet. If the economy turns for the better.......

Ehtereon11B
November 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
Oooh I really like those grips. *Credit card swipes*

Geneseo1911
November 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
I only own 11 firearms. If I get one more that will make it an even dozen. It makes more sense to have a nice even number.

This only gets worse the more you get. One more will get me to the same number as my age. Ooh-there's another good excuse!

ColtPythonElite
November 4, 2012, 11:15 PM
None of my reasons are lame in my mind.

Sergei Mosin
November 4, 2012, 11:22 PM
My latest excuse was "I'm going to Colorado next year and need a .357 for when we go hiking."

icanthitabarn
November 4, 2012, 11:28 PM
You guys are great at this game :)

horsemen61
November 4, 2012, 11:40 PM
The voices in my head told me to get it.

bikerdoc
November 4, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cause I am really lame.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
November 5, 2012, 12:02 AM
Because I had a mag a friend gave me

Irtys
November 5, 2012, 12:09 AM
My wife asks, how many guns do you need? My answer, how many do they make? Irtys Miller

blindhari
November 5, 2012, 12:23 AM
I get 1/2 of the price of any jewelry my wife buys put into my firearms account. This does two things, slows down jewelry purchase, preapproves any guns I have the money for. I have not been able to find enough firearms, I really like, to zero the gun checking account.
Besides she's always been worth any decorations she wants.

blindhari

jakk280rem
November 5, 2012, 12:55 AM
1) somebody gives you a free holster that none of the guns you currently own will fit
2) you found a smokin' deal on a set of dies and some brass for a cartridge you dont own
3) one too many John Wayne movies pushes you over the edge causing you to buy that Colt SAA in 44 WCF

Shadow 7D
November 5, 2012, 01:38 AM
That reminds me, I want a Hand of God
well
just cause, it's "The Hand of God"

(3:10 to Yuma)

tarosean
November 5, 2012, 01:53 AM
10) Got a free set of dies.
9) Buds has pop up windows.
8) Accidentally bid on it.
7) One in Call of Duty.
6) Gecko45 has one.
5) Stolen lawn ornament 3 houses down.
4) Need a Gnat a BUG's too big.
3) I was "made", so I need smaller gun.
2) Esmeralda Grips.
Drum roll
1) Firing dual matching pistols is just too cool.

Texan Scott
November 5, 2012, 03:14 AM
"I got it because I thought you'd like it, honey. Of course I've been hiding it from you. I wanted it to be a surprise. See, the synthetic ivory grips match all your white belts, shoes, and bags. Well, naturally you don't wear white shoes this time of year, hon..
That's why I was holding on to it for you, til next spring ... "

Resist Evil
November 5, 2012, 03:34 AM
"Do you remember that retired policewoman with the full sweater at that party? She had just dropped that tortilla chip when she swore that this was the pistol that was the easiest to shoot well and maintain. I remember it like it was yesterday."

S&W 3913

C5rider
November 5, 2012, 05:55 AM
Ya gotta keep a breeding pair! :neener:

45_auto
November 5, 2012, 08:04 AM
At hight of my "blued steel disease" I owned about 16 firearms.

With only 16 guns weren't near having the disease, you didn't even have any symptoms.

Russ Jackson
November 5, 2012, 08:55 AM
Don't worry I am going to sell it...Russ

fatcat4620
November 5, 2012, 10:47 AM
With only 16 guns weren't near having the disease, you didn't even have any symptoms.
Some of us have blued steel disease but also have a case of aintgotnomoneyitus. It it's most rapidly contacted from small children that move into your house.

fatcat4620
November 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
Sorry, double post.

MrDig
November 5, 2012, 12:59 PM
I was at the range and a guy let me shoot one,
I thought you would like one to practice with,
It's for (insert childs name) when they are ready for it......
I needed this to train (insert dogs name) to hunt.
At least I've seen some of these actually used, and or used them myself.
I'm twice Divorced so the lamest reason I need is "It's my damn money, I can use it how I want"

Skribs
November 5, 2012, 01:14 PM
1) I needed to get the black model because the stainless one I already have doesn't match certain pairs of shoes.
2) Ex-girlfriend convinced me to duracoat the last one pink.
3) Let me see if I can fit another gun into my EDC kit.
4) Gotta have one hidden in every room of the house so I don't have to carry at home.
5) Wife said not to get another handgun.
6) All my other guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.
7) I have to try akimbo style.
8) I don't have this brand in this caliber in this size yet.
9) Safe ain't full yet.
10) New safe is empty.

788Ham
November 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
As mentioned above, possibly I've got the same malady, "Blue steel disease!" My buddy and I were at a GS this past weekend, I saw a Smith model 10, 4" HB, 85%, twice I came back and looked at it... came home without it!! I've kicked my arse since then, I had the monies, why I didn't pull the trigger, I don't know. There's another GS in Dec., possibly/hopefully it'll still be there, then Christmastime will be fulfilled. IF I get this, it'll be the 4th .38 Spl I've dragged home in 4 months, I sure hope this blue steel disease ain't like the clap and it gets worser ! I knew something was up when I bought some new bore brushes and barrel mops... danged GS's !

JoeMal
November 5, 2012, 01:18 PM
Because I enjoy fighting with my wife

Seriously, ya'll that just act like you've "had it forever". My wife pays the bills and balances the checkbook...I can't 'hide' a few-hundred dollar purchase if I wanted to!

Guillermo
November 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
There is no lame excuse to buy a gun

Sergei Mosin
November 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
"I need one in stainless to go with the blued one I already have/I need a blued one to go with the one in stainless I already have."

So far I haven't used this, but it's only a matter of time...

C0untZer0
November 5, 2012, 08:16 PM
Allright Geneseo1911, this is actually my reason for buying the Rohrbaugh R9:

IL MIGHT pass a CCW law this year, and I'd need a carry gun

And we still might get CCW this year... :uhoh:

MIL-DOT
November 5, 2012, 08:35 PM
"Because it's there". George Mallory

zoom6zoom
November 5, 2012, 10:33 PM
If I buy this one more, I'll be able to justify buying that additional safe.

Which then will need to be filled up...

ohioshooter
November 5, 2012, 10:51 PM
I like this maker and they make one in every caliber 9,.357 sig, .40 and .45 (xd's)

TimeRegained
November 5, 2012, 11:33 PM
I can always sell it at any time (that'll never happen).

I've read so much about this gun it only makes sense that I buy it.

I've been watching the prices for this gun go up and down for months and this is THE BEST price.

I only like HKs and and this is the one I don't have yet...

Because certainly I need the same platform in fullsize, compact and sub-compact - of course!

The seller I just happened to email offered me a discount - now I just have to buy it!

jmace57
November 5, 2012, 11:57 PM
I am ashamed to admit I have come across (and acquired) grips and holsters...and have ended up buying the guns that went with them...

Ky Larry
November 6, 2012, 12:10 AM
"I had some ammo but no gun for it."

Teachu2
November 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
I needed one more in this caliber so loading them all uses a full box of ammo.

weblance
November 6, 2012, 02:40 AM
1. I needed another, because 13 handguns is an unlucky number.
2. I had to have the .22 version of the centerfire gun, cause its cheaper to shoot.
3. Because the "no guns allowed" sign on the window is a revolver.
4. In case someone needs to borrow one.
5. If someone askes what they should buy, I can show them a nice assortment.
6. Cause extra magazines are so expensive, might as well buy a duplicate gun for the magazine
7. Cause this one is too powerful to hunt squirrels
8. Its gonna be rare someday
9. Wasnt sure which barrel length I would like, so I bought them both.
10. One for upstairs, one for downstairs

How did I do? Did I win anything?

Fishslayer
November 6, 2012, 02:55 AM
. I have not been able to find enough firearms, I really like, to zero the gun checking account.

blindhari

You obviously don't have the old S&W revolver affliction. :D

Saw a few lame reasons of which I am guilty.

"I have brass for that caliber"

That's an "almost." I get a certain amount of .40 S&W brass as "incidental bycatch" when policing my .45ACP & the wife's 9mm. "ALMOST" bought a .40 on a few occasions just because I had the brass. Never pulled the trigger. The 10mm Kurz just never has appealed to me. Gifted a bunch and sold an additional 20 pounds of it. :eek:

"I might get a CCW one day"

Until we can get our Sheriff out of office ain't gonna happen. Just the same I bought a 3.5" 3rd Gen S&W 4536 "just in case." (Paid a stupid amount of money for it, too. Worth every penny. ;))

"The wife has one."

OK. Not a big fan of 9mm or plastic guns but I bought the wife a polymer SIG nine. I was so impressed I bought one for myself. Well, that and since I was loading for it anyway...

"Bought it for the wife."

Not really lame. I DID actually buy a 22/45 for the wife. She didn't care for it. She fell in love with a SIG Mosquito and now the 22/45 is mine. Winning! :D

gazpacho
November 6, 2012, 02:59 AM
1) NICS checks are running 45 minutes faster today!
2) I just got my CCW and now I don't have to do the !#%&@ NICS check!
3) I know THIS is gonna be the CCW firearm my wife likes.
4) It now comes in Tactical Coyote Brown.
5) My brother hasn't bought one of these yet.
6) Its got 5 (really sharp) tactical picatinny rails!
7) I need something to look good in front of my boss for the next gun buy back.
8) It shoots that brand new cartridge that I can never find on the ammo shelves.
9) I can arm my neighbors with this when the Zombie Apocalypse comes.
10) It will hurt when I shoot it!

TJx
November 6, 2012, 07:28 AM
Boogieman Obama might ban it.

fatcat4620
November 6, 2012, 08:27 AM
Here is one I thought of last night while sorting brass from a recent range trip.

I need a 1911 since I found 3 peices of .45 brass in my pickup bag. Would not want it to go to waste.

whtsmoke
November 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
the one about the brass that you have and no gun for it hits home. A lot and i do mean alot of 22 250 and 45 70 brass was given to me alongwith the dies, so i had to have something to shoot it in after i reloaded all of it.

Ramone
November 7, 2012, 10:03 AM
Re: #10-

I actually bought a .22LR NAA Revolver that way.

The only conceivable use I have for it is to arm my cat.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uGyASGyjhwY/T5gQiJqcKoI/AAAAAAAAHkc/lC0F1C8VKtw/s800/_DSC8844.jpg

What's really silly about that is that it's Single Action, and the Cat has No Thumbs.

rodinal220
November 7, 2012, 10:48 AM
There is still room in my 5th gun safe??

Sergei Mosin
November 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ramone, now that's funny right there. Those neighborhood dogs better look out! :eek:

Dr.Rob
November 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
How else am I going to disprove that John Woo action shooting stance myth?

(insert "Untouchables" , "Silverado" as needed.)

I still need a 2nd Vaquero because I can't shoot SASS until I get one. (Those are the rules!)

I need one thats more accurate.

Yeah, but this one is stainless!

They only made 10,000 of these!

sawdeanz
November 7, 2012, 05:58 PM
that cat picture is way too funny

alienbogey
November 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
• My wife has a birthday coming up (I will NEVER hear the end of that one, actually two)

• Obummer just got elected

• My friend's son just got orders to Kodiak, Alaska, and within a couple of years I may go brown bear hunting with him

• Civil War reenacting might be fun

• OOH, SHINY!

• I need one for carry, one for practice

• I need one for carry and two for practice

• It was on sale (works for my wife, why can't it work for me?)

• He made me an offer I couldn't refuse

• I made him an offer he couldn't refuse

thecarfarmer
November 8, 2012, 03:20 AM
Some of us have blued steel disease but also have a case of aintgotnomoneyitus. It it's most rapidly contacted from small children that move into your house.

Also can be contracted by the end of marriage... but that's a less virulent strain that usually lasts a much shorter time.

#10: I used to have one, sold it, and now I miss it...

#9: My buddy had one, and sold it, and I miss shooting it...

#8: I used to want one, and now I found one that I could afford...

#7: I read some article that some random stranger(s) on the internet wrote about it, and now I just *have* to have one

#6: I saw how much abuse it could take in a youtube video.

#5: I heard someone else talking about seeing how much abuse it took on a youtube video...

#4: It's such a low serial number gun that it's just got to be collectible!

#3: I wanted an identical one so that I could shoot matching ones with my
buddies/dad/daughter

#2: I'll give it to my daughter - after I run a few boxes through it to make sure it's good

#1: I had to help out a friend who was low on cash and had this gun...

Sad thing is that I've actually bought guns for reasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 10. :banghead:

-Bill

dirtengineer
November 8, 2012, 03:26 AM
My latest excuse was "I'm going to Colorado next year and need a .357 for when we go hiking."
You should have gotten a .44 or larger. Wait...There still might be time!

tekarra
November 8, 2012, 09:47 PM
I haven't read a lame reason yet, only rock solid arguments for buying a new gun.

beatledog7
November 8, 2012, 11:33 PM
How about 2/3 off annual range membership when you buy a gun? That was my lame reason. Love the gun I chose though.

lowercase
November 9, 2012, 06:27 PM
1. Because if I don't buy it right now, it will be gone tomorrow.

2. I have a holster that will fit it.

3. Bought for the wife (she already has maybe 5 guns that she doesn't know about).

4. Heirloom to pass to my kid after he grows up.

5. Need to buy to "see for myself" if any good (I do this with low-priced guns)

6. You can never have too many Model 10s.

7. I might actually go hiking in bear country some day.

8. The bluing on this one is soooo much better than the one I already own (and then I end up keeping both).

9. Must buy before they stop importing (did this with Makarovs, P64s, CZ82s).

10. This will make the perfect "truck gun"! (just like all the others!)

blindhari
November 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
I stopped by J&G today looking for a holster. Parking lot was full. Store was full. Most were only buying ammo, by the CASE!! One employee told me that it seems to be a post election reaction. Also seemed to be a lot of wives there making sure Bubba bought enough.

blindhari

budman46
November 20, 2012, 05:02 PM
uh...did anyone mention all of the above?:confused:

Deaf Smith
November 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
1) I bought the ammo so now I need to get a gun for it.
2) I need another field gun to go with my light, medium, and heavy field guns.
3) Price was just to good!
4) Better to have and not need than to need and not have.
5) I believe in gun control. So I need to control another gun.
6) It was all alone by itself on the shelf.
7) It's an investment, not a toy.
8) I need another one to fix up as a hobby.
9) Obama made me do it!
10) Can't get enough of those Suger Crisp!

And to be honest.... the money really was burning a hole in my pocket!

Deaf

762 X 54r
November 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
could get one because the next guy might not take good care of it.

OR

looks lonly on the gun store shelf with no one to take it shooting.:evil:

lowercase
November 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
"I bought a Charter .44 Bulldog because a barking dog told me to buy it."

:eek:

baghdaddy202003
November 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Ive bought my last gun about 5 times now! LOL she always falls for it!

Infidel4life11
November 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Because I only have 9 and need 10.

Tipro
November 26, 2012, 10:23 PM
My personal favorite...

"I got a second one of the same model so I could have spare parts."

Let me get this straight, you are going to buy a second gun, so that when your first breaks, you can put the second one out of commission and fix the first? You're essentially planning on breaking a working gun in order to fix a broken gun of the exact same model? Just leave the second gun intact and start using that one...People confuse me.

rcmodel
November 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
What if the broken one has sentimental value and the other one doesn't?

Yes, I have bought another old gun to get parts to fix another old gun.
More then once.

As for the OP's question.
You need a reason to buy another gun?
I did not know that!

rc

Quoheleth
November 26, 2012, 10:36 PM
1. The gubmit might stop future sales of guns, and I figger guns iz gonna be like blued gold - lotsa folks want one but ain't got one so I can sell/barter/trade it at a high markup. See? It's better than cash or gold!

Huh...that was funnier when I started it...

2. It looked lonely.

3. I felt lonely and needed a friend.

4. They dont make 'em like that anymore [for this to be lame, it has to be a relatively new or common model of gun].

5. It fit my holster just like it was made for it.

6. I saved money by buying a gun that fit a holster I already had.

7. I heard Ruger isn't going to put billboards on their guns anymore, so this one with the MASSIVE BB has to be worth more in a few decades.

8. It was the voices...

9. We only needed 800 more dollars on the Visa to get enough points for you to get tickets to the ballet you wanted to see.

10. Its a cheaper midlife crisis than a motorcycle. (Used this one).

Q

Hardtarget
November 27, 2012, 01:20 AM
I explained to my wife how I really NEEDED an AR15 because I just bought eight 30 rnd mags...so I needed a rifle to use them in....

...hasn't worked yet but I'm still playing the game!...

Mark

ps: I've also got 200 rnd of ammo and its killing me to not shoot it!

40 rod
November 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
Lame excuse; #80

I can't find my old one.

Rush_Fan
November 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Not lame, but I actually used this one:
My brother-in-law gave me a Leupold VXII scope for Christmas so I needed to buy a new rifle "worthy" of such a great gift, and all my other rifles already have scopes that are zeroed with my chosen loads.

It got me a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag (in case I ever go out west to elk hunt!)

ETA: Oops! Just realized I'm in the handgun forum. Oh well.

Ric
November 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
Honey, I saw a gun the gun shop that was really cool.

Wife: Did you get it?

No

Wife: Why not? You work hard, get it

I have the greatest wife in the world

Tophernj
November 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
I love this thread. It all rings very true for me. I am currently amassing .45acp casings and LPP's so I can load for a gun I don't have... yet.

C

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP: Top Ten Lamest Reasons to Buy Another Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!