Good suppressor for multiple calibers

PDA

breakingcontact
November 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
Suppressors and the fees that go with them are expensive.

Is it practical to use just one or two suppressors for multiple guns? If so which are some good ones?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good suppressor for multiple calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
November 7, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yes. A lot of folks will buy a .45 ACP suppressor and run sub calibers through them.

Similarly, folks will use .30 Caliber rifle suppressors and use them on sub calibers as well.

Flyincedar
November 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
You're gonna get a slew of different opinions on which one. Your best bet is to look at several from different companies, and decides what fits your needs most.

Check out Thompson Machine, YHM, AAC, Ops Inc, Huntertown Arms, and lots of other that I wont remember

siglite
November 7, 2012, 05:46 PM
My YHM works great for 556 and 762

hq
November 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if VAIME design is still available, it has replaceable baffles. I have sets for .22, .30, 9mm, .40/10mm and .45 for my suppressors. They make a fairly big difference, .30 is much quieter through "tight" baffles than through .45 ones.

Flyincedar
November 7, 2012, 11:12 PM
How are you able to have different sets of baffles? Even with a tax stamp for a suppressor, you cannot possess extra parts.

rjrivero
November 8, 2012, 12:19 AM
How are you able to have different sets of baffles? Even with a tax stamp for a suppressor, you cannot possess extra parts.

ATF has no jurisdiction on hq. Viame is a Finnish company.

Flyincedar
November 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
I totally missed the Finland part. Thank you

hq
November 8, 2012, 05:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, you can't possess extra (spare) parts for suppressors in the US? Wow. That would make VAIME pretty useless, the baffles are plastic and they're ment to be replaced regularly.

How about a reflex suppressor, then? In my experience, they tend to be quieter than skeleton or regular chamber designs when they're oversized compared to the bore. Again, I'm not sure if they're available in the US or what would be required to import one.

Zak Smith
November 19, 2012, 02:46 AM
At least for centerfire rifle cartridges and modern suppressor designs, the aperture size has less to do with the suppression level than most people on the internet assume. We've found that a .30 caliber suppressor designed around .308 will suppress .223 up to .300 WM very well.

Zak Smith
November 19, 2012, 02:48 AM
With regard to reflex designs, suppressor volume rear of the muzzle is less efficient than the same volume forward of the muzzle. It is a good idea when minimum additional OAL is more important than suppression/size/cost/weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good suppressor for multiple calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!