Decided on a .54...

PDA

chad1043
November 5, 2012, 09:55 PM
So I'm looking for a .54 Flintlock. I'm interested in the Lyman kit, but I was wondering if there was some other options that won't destroy my bank. Got any suggestions? Links? Pics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Decided on a .54..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
November 5, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'd go with Lyman.

If I wanted cap, I'd go with an M1841 Rifle.

Jim, West PA
November 5, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Chad, if you find yer not dead set on a stoner or a kit. I've been seein some used T/C Renegades in .54 sellin fer right around the $200 mark lately.

chad1043
November 5, 2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry, dead set on a flintlock. Dual triggers if possible.

planetmobius
November 6, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, definitely the Lyman. Have a caplock in .54. Quality, fit and finish are great.

Jim, West PA
November 6, 2012, 11:45 AM
Sorry, dead set on a flintlock. Dual triggers if possible.

So would i be ;)

chad1043
November 6, 2012, 05:53 PM
Pulled both triggers on the lyman... Any good tips, walk thrus, or posts I should read? I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting the L&R lock and trigger upgrade.. Thoughts?

1KPerDay
November 6, 2012, 05:55 PM
I've put together 2 lyman GPR kits (percussion though) and they're very nice. Minimal if any fitting required. Mostly just finish work on metal and wood.

Plum brown looks great on these, BTW. :)

mykeal
November 7, 2012, 03:39 PM
This is my GPR .54 flint. The metal parts are browned with Laurel Mountain Forge; the wood finish is Herter's French Red Grain filler (two coats) and 8 coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil, which was then deglossed with 0000 steel wool and Birchwood Casey's Stock Sheen and Conditioner.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Lyman%20GPR%20Flint/P4300056.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/Lyman%20GPR%20Flint/P4300091.jpg

It's not in this picture, but I did later install the Davis Deerslayer double set trigger assembly. I like it better than the stock Lyman trigger, but whether it's really worth the $40 I'm not sure. As for the L&R lock, I've found no reason to try it; the Lyman lock is just right.

The only issues I had with the kit were the escutcheon screws were too small, so I arranged for some slightly larger ones from a marine supply store, and the tang did not fit well at all. Had to relocate the tang screw hole a couple of tenths. Also, the touch hole ended up being a tad bit off center, but this has caused no problems in ignition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decided on a .54..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!