.22lr plinker guns, Don't know if I like magazines.

PDA

CoyoteSix
November 5, 2012, 10:50 PM
To explain, I'm gonna get another .22lr soon, but I don't know if I want it to be magazine fed.

In my experience the fast reloads from magazines and the "cool" factor of slamming a magazine home is great :evil:, but I have multiple magazines for some of my plinkers and absolutely hate the down time while reloading magazines out in the desert. I often feel like I burn through ammo much faster. Not that I have a Video-Game trigger finger, but because I use more ammunition up at a time.

A tube fed rifle or revolver has a constant rate of fire because there's no down time while reloading mags. There are also no mags to worry about losing or getting dirty. (Went shooting in the mud during a rain storm once, ended up with some cruddy mags).

I'm struggling to decide between .22lr guns like

Ruger Single Six V.S. A second SR22P

Sig 522 V.S. A stainless steel, tube fed, Marlin XT-22.

I wish I could buy'em all but cash isn't easy to come by in college :(

If you enjoyed reading about ".22lr plinker guns, Don't know if I like magazines." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
primalmu
November 5, 2012, 10:58 PM
How does a tube fed rifle have a constant rate of fire? What is a tube but a tubular "internal" magazine? There sure is downtime while reloading that tube. I'd imagine you'd get much the same experience with a 10/22 and a single magazine.

You're logic just doesn't make much sense to me.

CoyoteSix
November 5, 2012, 11:08 PM
Not as much down time at once I mean, quicker to pop out the tube and drop 14 rounds than to grab my 4 SR22p mags and load'em up.

When I say "Rate of Fire: I don't mean some kind of commando suppression nonsense.

I literally mean I can keep rounds down range at a more constant rate with a tube fed or revolver than I can with my Mag fed Semi autos.

I swear I could make and finish a sandwich in the time it takes to reload my 10/22 and SR22 mags. (Guys with alot of mags for one gun will get this ;) )

Its also kind've attractive to just bring a gun and ammo than to bring a gun, mags, a folding table to set everything down on, and a folding chair to set my butt down on while i reload said mags. (remember my shooting is done in the desert 30min from my home).

303tom
November 5, 2012, 11:12 PM
How does a tube fed rifle have a constant rate of fire? What is a tube but a tubular "internal" magazine? There sure is downtime while reloading that tube. I'd imagine you'd get much the same experience with a 10/22 and a single magazine.

You got that right...............

Rail Driver
November 5, 2012, 11:14 PM
It takes a bit longer in my experience to reload my Marlin 60 (18rd tube) than it does to unload said tube. I find it faster to load a 20/25rd AR.22 magazine, or a 10rd Ruger or Mossberg .22LR magazine than the tube on my Marlin - only reason the Marlin is my favorite (and currently ONLY .22) is because it's significantly more accurate than any .22LR rifle I've ever owned.

berettaprofessor
November 5, 2012, 11:43 PM
Lets see...I've got 8 10/22 mags holding 80 rounds and a speed loader for them. How long can I shoot and how fast can I reload?

And a s&w mp22? 25 rounds in a mag that I can reload much faster than a tube fed? Are you nuts?

This is exactly why I bought a 795....the accuracy if a 60 and lots of mags to run it.

rduchateau2954
November 5, 2012, 11:50 PM
I really don't see how tube fed is any faster.

I own a Marlin 60, you can only load 2-3 rounds at a time and as far as I know there is no speed loader.

With a basic speedloader for my Ruger MKIII it's the same story, 2-3 at a time, just about the same speed.

Now the Ruger MKIII with the ultimate clip loader, that's a whole nother story!

Sergei Mosin
November 5, 2012, 11:55 PM
It's the perceived passage of time. If you're reloading ten magazines at a time and it takes you five minutes to do it, it seems like it takes a lot longer than reloading one just magazine - even though you have to reload that one magazine ten times and it takes the same five minutes, those five minutes are spread out over a longer period of time and it doesn't seem like you're taking up so much time reloading.

rduchateau2954
November 6, 2012, 12:05 AM
Only get one magazine?

chris in va
November 6, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'd like to see a tube fed that lets you slide and lock back the internal spring so reloading can be quick without having to remove a long tube first.

bannockburn
November 6, 2012, 06:55 AM
Well I don't know about you but I love magazine fed .22 autos. Had a number of single action .22 revolvers over the years but found them to be so slow in terms of unloading and reloading. With a thumb saver loading device, I can quickly load up a couple of mags and be back shooting in no time at all.

MedWheeler
November 6, 2012, 07:04 AM
I see one of the guns you're considering is the Ruger Single Six.. while I agree that this would be a great choice to anyone who does not already have one (I don't, but I do have a Heritage Rough Rider I really enjoy shooting.), I don't get how it would solve your "excessive down time" issue..
But, you won't know how fun it can be 'til you try it. I burned maybe 300 rounds my first session with the Rough Rider, and that was during a session in which several other guns were shot, too.
I don't know what guns you already have..

Incidentally, I can reload my Ruger Mk-II magazine (I only have one) in the time it would take to load any tube-fed rifle because, if I'm holding the spring down with the button on the side, I can pretty much just drop the rounds in.

stanmo
November 6, 2012, 07:18 AM
Yes, loading .22SA revolvers sux, but I love my DA revolvers so much I sold my autos. I hate loading mags especially .22's. I don't see the point of having 10 mags to load, carry to and from the range and clean after. Most mags cost as much as a couple bricks of ammo.

Reloadron
November 6, 2012, 08:05 AM
Something to consider with another .22 is looking around for an older bolt or pump rifle. With some good looking you can find maybe an older great shooting Remington, Winchester, Savage or other fine older rifle that will deliver superb accuracy or a fine old revolver. Your dime but you may want to consider a fine older gun in great condition.

Ron

pockets
November 6, 2012, 08:27 AM
While I do not understand the point of this thread....there are quick loaders made for .22 tube magazines. I use a 'Spee-D-Loader' on all of my tube-fed .22 rifles. It has 8 tubes, each holding 15 LR rounds ready to simply dump into the magazine (after removing the follower). Just the ticket for most any tube-fed rifle. As for box-magazine fed .22 guns, additional magazines are usually not expensive.

Perhaps you need to simply relax, sit down with a single-shot .22 and a brick of Blazers.....and just enjoy.

230RN
November 6, 2012, 08:56 AM
^ Ditto on that. I've got a bolt-action tubed Remington 512 and you pull out the "inner" tube (which contains the feed spring --no need to lock anything back), and just drop rounds into the "outer" tube, that is, the magazine tube itself.

I remember the old shooting galleries at Coney Island, where the gallery operator had pre-loaded tubes where they could just drop the ammo into the tube magazine proper, as pocket describes.

I didn't know they currently made these loading tubes, but I was going to make a preloadable tube like those out of that hobby brass tubing you get at hardware stores for that 512, but I don't shoot it that much. However, it's nice to have a gun which you can "load on Sunday and shoot all week," as the saying goes --bearing in mind that mine isn't an autoloader and I prefer single deliberate shots instead of rapping them off.

I sure like the capacity of a tube-loader, but somehow they seem more fragile. Get a ding in the outer tube or accidentally bend the inner tube (which pockets calls the follower), and you don't have a gun anymore.

Taurus 617 CCW
November 6, 2012, 09:05 AM
If you don't like taking the time to load magazines while at the range, you may want to consider this option. I have a Ruger Mark series pistol and use a McFadden Ultimate Cliploader tool. It takes roughly 3 seconds to load a magazine and you are back shooting again.

*Warning! You will go through more ammo and have way more fun with this loader tool!*

http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html

pockets
November 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
For those of you who didn't realize the Spee-D-Loader is still around. It's cheap thrills at only $20 ..... 120 easy-loading rounds (8 tube reloads) at your fingertips. You can find them all over, there is even a 'short' version. Here is the full-size one at CTD:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-120

Reloadron
November 6, 2012, 09:20 AM
I remember the old shooting galleries at Coney Island, where the gallery operator had pre-loaded tubes where they could just drop the ammo into the tube magazine proper, as pocket describes.

OMG, I was thinking about those very tubes with fond memories of Coney Island and the Long Island fair. I would love to have a few of those gallery guns today. I believe the NRA has preserved one of the Coney Island shooting galleries.

I have a Remington 510P (My very first rifle), 511 and 512 all of which I enjoy tremendously.

Ron

230RN
November 6, 2012, 10:39 AM
^ Heh. Glad I tickled a memory for you. I got my Sportsmaster (Remington 512) for $65 at a gun store a couple of years ago. I especially like that it feeds shorts, longs, and long rifle cartridges. I don't remember how many shorts the thing holds, but it was more than 20.

(Don't tell any antis that this is a standard capacity magazine! :what: They'd faint! )

I only got it because it was a duplicate of the very firstest powder-actuated firearm I ever shot, back in "ought-forty-six," as it were. I still remember my first shot, complete with visual, audible, and smell memories. To this day, the smell of a .22's exhaust brings that image back briefly.

I think I recall that most of the shooting gallery rifles were Browning pumps with the tube mag in the buttstock, though.

Hey, pockets, thanks! That is one cool loading device. I may actually get one and start shooting my old rifle again. (It's sort of retired now.)

Terry, 230RN

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Sportmaster_512

Wil Terry
November 6, 2012, 11:14 AM

YOU AIN'T WHISTLING DIXIE !!! BUT....what do you expect from some whippersnapper in college ??

aarondhgraham
November 6, 2012, 12:05 PM
Eliminate all the nonsense,,,
Embrace the concept of single-shot rifles.

I have a Henry Accu-Bolt single-shot .22 rifle,,,
It is simply a joy to shoot that gun.

No temptation to do a mag dump at a target,,,
Just the steadying impetus of making your one shot count.

I also have a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
It is a 5 shot magazine fed rifle.

I purchased the single-shot adaptor for it,,,
Now I enjoy shooting it much more than before.

I know that semi-autos are fun,,,
I have two and enjoy plinking with them.

But when it comes down to shooting for real accuracy,,,
I always haul out one of my single-shots,,,
One Shot-One Hit is a great feeling.

Aarond

sawdeanz
November 7, 2012, 05:39 PM
I just bought my first .22 rifle yesterday. Its a marlin 60. I bought it because I wanted something cheap to buy and shoot. I would prefer something that loaded from the receiver end like lever actions and shotguns do, I feel that would have the advantages of a tube fed gun but be easier to load, and have the ability to "top off" rounds. Since i'm just going to be target shooting the accuracy reputation of the marlin outweighed that concern. Eventually I want to get a tube fed lever .22 that can feed shorts, lr and everything in between, which I think would be the ultimate survival tool.

ZGunner
November 7, 2012, 05:49 PM
I literally mean I can keep rounds down range at a more constant rate with a tube fed or revolver than I can with my Mag fed Semi autos.

Get a single shot. That'd be the most consistant fire rate you'll get. Reloading is just a matter of placing a new round in the chamber and it eliminates all forms of magazines.

thunder173
November 7, 2012, 06:03 PM
Geeze guys,....you need to use a little imagination. 2 small pieces of duct tap over the ends of a longer Burger King soft drink straw....makes an instant reload that drops probably 8 .22LR, ( as measured by my phat fingers),....quickly into a tube mag, and maybe a couple more .22 shorts,...and it works for .22 WMR as well,..though not as many of them. Btw,...I have both magazine and tube fed .22's,.....YMMV

Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 06:27 PM
Châteaux hit on it... magazines are slower IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE.
The idea is to have a pocketful already loaded, kicks. You might need to get online and make that a priority.

CajunBass
November 7, 2012, 06:35 PM
I've never thought it was THAT big a deal to reload a ten round magazine. :confused:

I guess I'm just not in that big a hurry to shoot up my ammo.

idcurrie
November 7, 2012, 06:54 PM
I actually find it MUCH faster to load a tubular magazine than any kind of removable magazine.

I find that loading the marlin 60's tube mag by simply dropping the rounds in as fast as you can line them up is much faster than trying to push them into and back of a spring loaded magazine with resistance.

I find that I can load 15 rounds into a tubular magazine in LESS time that it takes me to load 10 rounds into a 597 or 10/22 magazine.

Further, if you're in the field, you can pull out the tube magazine follower and hold the rifle and it in one hand and charge the magazine with the other hand. No need to put anything down.

How, exactly, do you do that with a 10/22?

Reloadron
November 7, 2012, 07:02 PM
I just bought my first .22 rifle yesterday. Its a marlin 60. I bought it because I wanted something cheap to buy and shoot. I would prefer something that loaded from the receiver end like lever actions and shotguns do, I feel that would have the advantages of a tube fed gun but be easier to load, and have the ability to "top off" rounds. Since i'm just going to be target shooting the accuracy reputation of the marlin outweighed that concern. Eventually I want to get a tube fed lever .22 that can feed shorts, lr and everything in between, which I think would be the ultimate survival tool.
Someday consider a nice little Browning ATD rifle. Loads from the stock and is a take down. During the early 90s Interarms imported thousands of Norinco (Chinese) made knock off versions of the little Brownings. Wish I would have held on to a few but they are out there to be had. Not quite a Browning but not quite the price either. :)

Ron

45_auto
November 7, 2012, 07:27 PM
Further, if you're in the field, you can pull out the tube magazine follower and hold the rifle and it in one hand and charge the magazine with the other hand. No need to put anything down.

Just like I do with any other box-magazine fed rifle (M16, M14, FAL, M1 carbine, etc) where I want to top off or reload the magazine in the field. I've been sticking the top of the butt stock in my armpit and the bottom of the stock over my arm, leaving both hands free, for the last 50 years.

Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
See, with a 10/22, I wouldn't reload the empty magazine at all.... just replace it with a full one.

BCRider
November 7, 2012, 09:21 PM
Unless you're operating a single shot gun they ALL have some form of magazine.

It may be the classic separate stick mag. Or it may be a tube mag. Or it may be the chambers of a revolver. But each of these options are a magazine of some form.

Come to think of it when I'm enjoying my single shot .22 rifles I still have a magazine. I tend to stuff 6 to 8 rounds between the fingers of my fore stock hand and reload from there.

If you tend to fire off rounds from a REPLACEABLE magazine gun faster than with a FIXED magazine gun then that is simply your own fault.... :D

Having said all this drivel I'm on your side. I prefer my tube and single shot guns over my (one) magazine fed rimfire rifle. I only finally bought my Ruger 10/22 because I'm about to embark on a "project gun" build. I may or may not keep it in the end. Otherwise I'm far more taken with single shot, pump, lever and bolt guns for rimfire rifles.

Carl N. Brown
November 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
A tube fed rifle or revolver has a constant rate of fire because there's no down time while reloading mags.
My experience is that there is just as much downtime reloading a tube magazine or a cylinder, as there is in reloading a box magazine.

Let's see in .22 plinking and hunter guns, I have
Marlin 39 Mountie, tube magazine
Marlin 60 auto, tube magazine
Remington Nylon 66, tube magazine
Rumanian training rifle, box magazine
Armalite AR7 Explorer, box magazine
Ruger Mark II pistol, box magazine
(My revolvers are .38, .357 and .455.)

22-rimfire
November 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
See, with a 10/22, I wouldn't reload the empty magazine at all.... just replace it with a full one.

I guess you buy them already loaded.

I prefer a tubular magazine. I have both. I think I can probably load 10 rounds quicker with the tubular mag as compared to an empty 10-round box mag.

CajunBass
November 7, 2012, 10:26 PM

You're kidding aren't you? :confused:

It ain't exactly rocket science. You drop the magazine in one hand, stick the rifle in the crook of your arm, reload the magazine, put the magazine back in.

What's confusing, or hard about that?

But if you like a tube, it's fine with me.

22-rimfire
November 7, 2012, 10:37 PM
I kind of ignored that point Cajun. It's easy to hold a rifle and load a detachable box mag and not in the least bit unsafe unless you are pointing your rifle at someone while you are loading the mag.

d2wing
November 8, 2012, 02:30 PM
To each his own. I seldom use tube feed rifles because the are a pain to load and unload each time to you change location. Anybody that thinks tubes are easier or quicker doesn't load and unload much. Tube feeders are ok but you realize you are reloading and unloading twice each time. I recently replaced the tube. Magazine for a Winchester .22. The replacement tube is crappy aftermarket And doesn't fit right.

22-rimfire
November 8, 2012, 11:31 PM
I usually shoot my tube mags empty. I seldom unload one.

chicharrones
November 9, 2012, 12:00 AM
I can think of one thing that makes me not want a gun with a box magazine. Every time I purchase a gun that comes with a box magazine, I feel compelled to buy several extra magazines whether I really need them or not.

With a tube magazine gun, the gun costs what the gun costs.

With any box magazine gun that I purchase, the gun costs more than just the price of the gun. Usually to the tune of 10% to 20% more than if I bought an equivalently made tube mag gun.

garymc
November 9, 2012, 04:49 AM
I have 1 single shot bolt .22 and 4 tube fed .22's. The single shot was my first gun and the most accurate non-scoped gun I've ever fired. But I like tube fed. I have a
Speed D Loader, but don't use it much. You can also take the paper tube from a men's pants hanger and use it to make a tube feeder.

22-rimfire
November 9, 2012, 10:34 AM
... or an arrow

Clipper
November 9, 2012, 05:42 PM
A tube fed bolt or lever gun will feed shorts or CB longs reliably, while a mag-fed rifle will not. My BL-22 will hold 22 shorts, or 15 CB longs and feed without a hickup. Pricey, but light weight and accurate.

45_auto
November 9, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm jealous of the people with box mag .22's that can easily hold up to 50 rounds. Last time I put the 50 round tube on my Speedmaster it stuck out 2 feet in front of the barrel and everyone at the range laughed at me. It would probably make a great flagpole though!

22-rimfire
November 9, 2012, 07:22 PM
45 Auto, I surrender. I have this image in my mind of your rifle with a tube extending out a couple feet and a white flag dangling. Maybe the Don't Tread on me flag would be more appropriate. :D

45_auto
November 9, 2012, 07:53 PM
:)

Since this question of which is the fastest to reload (box or tube) is obviously of vital national importance, I felt it was my duty to conduct an experiment to satisfy my curiosity.

I used a Remington Speedmaster and a Ruger 10/22.

I figured that starting from pulling the trigger in a standing position would give me the most consistent results. Since I don't have a range handy at the moment, I used the following procedure while my wife was out at the grocery.

1) Set stopwatch to zero.

2) Verify rifle is empty.

3) Verify rifle is empty again.

4) Verify rifle is empty again.

5) Hold rifle in shooting position to shoulder with weak hand in normal position on forestock.

6) Start stopwatch (iphone) with trigger finger.

7) Grasp stock and pull trigger

8A) Tube: Flip rifle over in weak hand and extend tube with strong hand
8B) Box Mag: Shift gun to crook of weak arm while dropping mag into weak hand.

9) Both: Grab a handful of .22's from open Federal bulk box with strong hand.

10A) Tube: Drop 10 cartridges into tube mag.
10B) Box Mag: Insert 10 cartridges into Box mag.

Note: This step took the longest and about equal time in both cases. You must manipulate the cartridges in your hand into the rim-first position required for both types of magazines. I found that it took me as long to line the rim up with the rim-slot in the tube and drop the cartridge as it did to stick them in the magazine.

11A) Tube: Slide tube in and lock in place with strong hand.
11B) Box Mag: Grab stock with strong hand in trigger position while inserting magazine into gun with weak hand.

12) Lift gun into firing position and pull trigger. Look at stopwatch.

Note that I did not cycle the bolt to load a round or cock the gun prior to step 12. I did not want to shoot up my milling machine which I was using as a backstop.

11) Unload gun and repeat from step 1.

RESULTS:

I did it 5 times for each gun. Both guns averaged around 25 seconds. Fastest was 23 for both guns, slowest was 28 for both guns. Biggest factor for both guns was how many of the cartridges in my hand had to be flipped around to get the rim into the correct position. A couple of times I dropped 2 or 3 cartridges so I made sure to always grab a few more than 10.

CONCLUSION:

There is no significant difference in how fast you can reload and fire a .22 again with a tube magazine or a single box magazine.

steady shot
November 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
I have a couple of inexpensive plinkers. The Marlin XT-22 tube fed and the Taurus 94 (9 shot .22LR).

Both are versatile guns and are fun to shoot. I like the Marlin because it with shoot .22 short, long and long rifle. It will hold 25 shorts, 19 longs and 17 long rifle cartridges. The Taurus will shoot the Aguila no-powder rounds all the way up to the hottest 22 LR cartridges.

I have packed the Taurus along on days when it has rained and or snowed as well as on long ATV rides. Never had a problem with it. I bought the Taurus used for $275 and the Marlin new for about $200.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/enforcer421/076-1.jpg

Reloadron
November 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
A tube fed bolt or lever gun will feed shorts or CB longs reliably, while a mag-fed rifle will not. My BL-22 will hold 22 shorts, or 15 CB longs and feed without a hickup. Pricey, but light weight and accurate.
That isn't quite true. My Remington 511 Score Master uses a 5 round small box detachable magazine. I believe there are also 10 and 15 round magazines available for it. It shoots .22 short, long or long rifle without any problems at all. They load, shoot, extract and eject just fine round after round from the small detachable box magazines.

Anyway who really cares as to how long it takes to load or unload a magazine? When going out and shooting a .22 plinking rifle does it matter? You are out for the shear enjoyment of shooting the rifle and not under a timed stress test loading or unloading the thing.

Ron

Sav .250
November 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
A clip fed 22 is not as fast as a tube type. I don`t quite understand your logic.
But if you say so.

Get yourself a 22 with a tube and be happy. That way instead of loading 8-10 rounds at a time you can go 15 or more at a time.

A clip type was a better choice for me as the shot was the important part not the re-loading.

berettaprofessor
November 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
There is no significant difference in how fast you can reload and fire a .22 again with a tube magazine or a single box magazine.

Nice work 45Auto! Now the only question is if one wishes to keep several magazines around or a tube speediloader.

A clip fed 22 is not as fast as a tube type

A CLIP-fed 22 might be really fast if they existed! Where does one buy 22LR's on clips, anyway? :neener:

45_auto
November 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
A clip fed 22 is not as fast as a tube type.

I'm guessing you meant box-fed, not clip, as pointed out by berettaprofessor above. What's your times for reloading a box mag .22 versus a tube?

I don`t quite understand your logic.

Tube fed = 23 seconds to reload
Box fed = 23 seconds to reload

My logic says that 23 = 23 = the same.

That way instead of loading 8-10 rounds at a time you can go 15 or more at a time.

I was using 25 round mags in the Ruger. I loaded 10 rounds because it was a nice round number. I could have used 25, except I've never seen a tube mag 22 that holds 25 rounds of long rifles so I wanted it to be comparable.

A clip type was a better choice for me as the shot was the important part not the re-loading.

You believe that the feed mechanism is more important to accuracy than the chamber (PTG or Bentz or match versus standard) or barrel? I've never seen a manufacturer's barrel with a standard chamber that can come close to a barrel using a target chamber and the appropriate ammo.

vito
November 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
Get yourself a vacuum pump magazine loader. You hold it over the box of 22lr and it sucks the rounds into the magazine until full. Easiest way that I know to load a magazine. Personally, I like my S&W 617 4-inch barrel 10 round revolver. Its accurate, fun to shoot and would be my pick for a survival handgun (for hunting small game). I will admit, this is not an inexpensive gun.

rodinal220
November 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
I do like my Stevens Favorites,Crackshot,Model 71,30G.All self contained,just insert ammo.

mac66
November 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
There are speed loaders available for many detachable magazines such as the 10/22. They are fast. There are speed loaders like the Spee-d-loader or arrows or straws available for tube fed rifles. They are fast. However, you still have to load the speed loaders ahead of time which takes time.

As someone pointed out, it takes about the same amount of time to load a detachable box mag as it does to load a tube mag. However it is significantly faster to load a rifle with a prepared box mag than to load a rifle by loading the tube.

I own a dozen or more tube fed rifles. Some load from the muzzle end, some from the stock end. From a safety standpoint I universally dislike having to have my hand at the muzzle end of the rifle while loading a front loader. I also dislike having to dip the muzzle down in the dirt to load a butt loader. I teach rifle marksmanship and I particularly don't like kids having to manipulate rifles either of those two ways.

I also think that taking a break and reloading a detachable mag back off the line is safer than loading a tube fed constantly on the line.

kerreckt
November 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
I like tube fed 22's. Nothing to lose or forget. Use the straw trick and you have cheap disposable "speedloaders'. I love my 22 rifles. Best "bang for the buck".

aarondhgraham
November 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
Belt Fed (http://www.lakesideguns.com/)

Aarond

GlockFan
November 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Someday consider a nice little Browning ATD rifle. Loads from the stock and is a take down. During the early 90s Interarms imported thousands of Norinco (Chinese) made knock off versions of the little Brownings. Wish I would have held on to a few but they are out there to be had. Not quite a Browning but not quite the price either.

Ron

You mean like this...

http://e-sarcoinc.com/interarmsmodelatd.aspx

Reloadron
November 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
You mean like this...

http://e-sarcoinc.com/interarmsmodelatd.aspx
Yup, like that. :)

While the form, fit and finish is far from Browning so is the cost. Sold plenty of them when we had the shop and the little rifles actually shot pretty well for what they were and their cost.

Ron

sawdeanz
November 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Are there any tube loaders that feed from the receiver like a shotgun or levergun? Also will my marlin 60 feed anything besides lr?

ManBearPig
November 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
I have the GSG-5 (it's actually in a picture among other guns in another thread), and I absolutely love it. It's usually the steal of the show when friends and I gather at the gun range; it tends to get the most use. It's accurate as all hell and just a damn fun gun to plink with.

italy4nra
November 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
You are right... you don't like box magazine fed rifles. So don't get one.
Why get another SR22 when you can get a convertible single six. Fun stuff indeed to 22 revolver.

XT22 (you will choose the tube model of course) is a great affordable shooter. The only reason to go for the Sig is for that different kind of cool, but it will not shoot as well as the long Marlin. Choose fun in the hand or fun at the target.

Reloadron
November 14, 2012, 06:59 PM
Are there any tube loaders that feed from the receiver like a shotgun or levergun? Also will my marlin 60 feed anything besides lr?
Your Marlin Model 60 is a .22LR only rifle so nope as to anything besides .22LR cartridges. As to any .22 rifles that side load, Colt made a pump lightening that was a side load .22 pump. Good luck finding one, but there are likely others out there, I just don't know of them.

Ron

Certaindeaf
November 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
100 round helical feed Calico.

hardluk1
November 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
Buy one of these and reloading is faster than stopping to reload mags.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-120

heres one for semi outo pistols and single stck 10 shoot rifle mags -http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GNS-127

Want to slow down buy a single shoot. .

JohnM
November 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
Your Marlin Model 60 is a .22LR only rifle so nope as to anything besides .22LR cartridges. As to any .22 rifles that side load, Colt made a pump lightening that was a side load .22 pump. Good luck finding one

Had a Lightning once, it was stolen.
I doubt the guy who took it had any idea what it was worth and I don't like to think about it anymore. :(

Certaindeaf
November 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
I spotted a nice scoped Marlin 881 the other day.. tube mag bolt, wood stock, sticky rubber buttplate, swivels, yadda. Went down there yesterday to get it and noticed that in order to mount the cheap scope how he liked, the prior owner had pried the rear sight notch off. no thanks
I need me a manual .22 repeater! Guess I'll wait 'til those black Marlin's go on sale for like $150 at the superstore.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22lr plinker guns, Don't know if I like magazines." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!