Gold Dots - 9mm

PDA

Bobson
November 6, 2012, 05:10 AM
My local Sportsman's Warehouse, which is where I do most all of my gun-related shopping, stocks 9mm Gold Dots in 115gr, 124gr, 124gr +P, and 147gr. Oddly, the 124gr +P seems to be the one that's easiest for them to keep on the shelf. The others are sometimes sold out, but the +P never has been (that I've seen anyway).

Is it just personal preference, or what? Which of the four are the best? Is the +P in the 124gr necessary? I would have thought that would be the most popular...

So, assuming all four flavors function and cycle flawlessly in your G19, which would you pick? And why?

ETA: Price is identical between them, if that matters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dots - 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jed Carter
November 6, 2012, 05:45 AM
With a handgun it is likely to need more than one round to stop a threat. For me control, speed of follow up shots on target is the deciding factor when selecting a defensive round. I voted for the 124 grain, but really it is a toss up with the 147 grain. I seem to have less muzzle rise from the 147 grain, but I have a bunch of the 124 grain standard pressure ammo. Just too much flash and bang from the +P stuff IMO.

MikePaiN
November 6, 2012, 05:51 AM
I use Golden Sabers 124g(standard pressure) but they are available in the same weights and pressures as Gold Dots. My EDC is a Kel-Tec PF9. I feel in such a short barrel, small pistol the 124g is a good balance, +P rounds seem wasted adding a huge muzzle flash and flip. My main hand gun is a Glock 19, which will handle the +P much better but it shoots great with standard pressure 124g so I stick with those for all my SD/HD needs.

bannockburn
November 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
I prefer the 124 grain Gold Dots as it performs well in my guns and I can usually find a good deal on it at the local gunshows.

Devonai
November 6, 2012, 11:00 AM
I carry the 124 +P for each of my 9x19mm pistols, going back all the way to my first Beretta 92FS in 1997. While I haven't gone through nearly as much of it in training as I have a less expensive FMJ load, I've always experienced excellent results. In fact, you've reminded me that my carry ammo is getting kind of old; I should get a new box soon and blow off the older stuff.

TarDevil
November 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
I use 124 gr +P in my SR9c. The gun has enough heft that recoil is negligible. Were I carrying one of the micros 9's, I wouldn't use +P

sidheshooter
November 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
I chose 124, because it works well in my guns. When we are talking about GDHP, I suspect that they'll all work. 124 standard seems to shoot to point of aim, has fairly mild recoil and blast in my light and short 9mms, and allegedly penetrates slightly further than 124 +P.

November 6, 2012, 12:31 PM
Heavy-for-caliber bullets offer the best chance for deep penetration with expansion -the 147s also offer very gentle recoil which shortens recovery time between shots.

Go with the 147s.

No need for the +P+ stuff.

NG VI
November 6, 2012, 12:39 PM
I picked 147, but I'd be happy with either standard pressure or +P 124 grain as well.

In a smaller gun I'd be more inclined to go with the 147 or standard 124.

jon86
November 6, 2012, 01:01 PM
With the speer gold dots, it really doesn't matter. I keep 115 grain standard pressure in the G17 mainly because it is my wife's bedside gun. Every one of these weights has performed well in tests. I would probably choose 124+p or 147 grain.

psyopspec
November 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
I voted +P. Purely subjective reason: I get more speed, which means greater penetration and expansion for what I consider a negligible amount of gain in recoil.

mdauben
November 6, 2012, 01:20 PM
124gr +P in either Gold Dot or HST is my load of choice for my 9mm.

fatcat4620
November 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
I would run the 124+P but this its like deciding between a 15oz hammer and a 16oz hammer.

Inebriated
November 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
147 grain. I carried that for a long time, until I couldn't find it.

Now I carry 135 grain Hornady Critical Duty. I care more about penetration than expansion, but I also care more about innocent people. I feel that the heavier 9mm loads give me that balance between penetration and enough expansion to sufficiently slow the round.

C0untZer0
November 6, 2012, 02:41 PM
147gr

Although I personally like the performance of the Winchester Ranger "T" 147gr RA9T better than the Gold Dot.

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

Underwood makes a cartridge with the 147gr Gold Dot with a +P+ loading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c

Skribs
November 6, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'm surprised to see the 124 gr doing better than 147 grain. I had assumed it would go 124 +P > 147 > 115 > 124. That said, I carry 147 grain over 124 +P, I'd just assumed that most people who wanted 124 would go for the +P just because.

holdencm9
November 6, 2012, 02:59 PM
I liked the 124gr standard pressure out of my CW9. The +P was a little snappier, but not terrible. I have a box of each but currently am loaded with the standard pressure.

Old Dog
November 6, 2012, 03:15 PM
I do roll with the 124 +Ps, as it's the duty issue in 9mm for my employer ... and since, when I choose to carry a full-size nine (over a .45) when I'm not at work, it simply seems logical to go with the same round. If price and/or availability was an issue, I'd be content with any of the other Gold Dot choices ... (although, to be honest, I do wonder about the 147-grain occasionally due to its history of abysmal performance when it was duty issue for a previous employer).

P5 Guy
November 6, 2012, 03:49 PM
Is what is in my home use pistol and the one I picked in your poll.
Speer also makes a "ShortBarrel" load and I use that in my G26 when I can find them. When the "ShortBarrel" is not available the carry pistol gets the 124+P. A bit more recoil but hardly worth the mention.

MedWheeler
November 6, 2012, 05:02 PM
With a handgun it is likely to need more than one round to stop a threat.

Actually, more than 99.99 percent of cases involving the defensive use of a firearm, either no shots are fired, or none that are fired hit the suspect, and the threat still ceases, so this statement, as worded, is not accurate.
But, if you're referring to cases of violent attacks against randomly-selected victims committed by perpetrators who soldier on despite actually being shot by their intended victims (fewer than ten such cases in the US each year), then, yes, a rifle or shotgun might have better impact power.

That being said, I'd go with the 124-grain standard pressure in my PF9 because the sights seem to be regulated for that weight, and the continued use of +P ammunition is not recommended by the manufacturer of the gun. The extra performance offered by the round in so small a gun is likely negligible, also.

Pukindog12
November 6, 2012, 05:44 PM
In my CW9s I carry Gold Dots 124 gr +P. If I could find GD 147 gr I'd carry them but I haven't found any around here.

Skribs
November 6, 2012, 06:56 PM
Med, when I pick self defense ammo and platform, I'm picking it assuming I need an involuntary stop.

Jaymo
November 6, 2012, 08:31 PM

jdmb03
November 6, 2012, 09:58 PM
124gr

Bobson
November 7, 2012, 02:01 AM
Whoops. Deleted.

Bobson
November 7, 2012, 02:02 AM
I'm surprised to see the 124 gr doing better than 147 grain. I had assumed it would go 124 +P > 147 > 115 > 124. That said, I carry 147 grain over 124 +P, I'd just assumed that most people who wanted 124 would go for the +P just because.
Those are exactly the same results I expected. I appreciate everyone chiming in on this.

ugaarguy
November 7, 2012, 02:21 AM
Bobson, you may want to look at all of the testing results from ATK's LE site - http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx. Look at the results and decide which load best meets your needs / wants.

psyopspec, the 124gr +P won't necessarily give you either better penetration or better expansion, depending on test protocol. In the IWBA Heavy Clothing test the standard pressure 124 out penetrates the +P by half an inch, and is within 5 thousandths of an inch of having equal expansion. In the FBI Heavy Clothing test the +P load opens up a four hundredths inch expansion advantage, but still trails the standard velocity load in penetration by about half an inch. Against bare gelatin the +P load does get both better penetration and expansion.

ETA: After looking over the testing the standard pressure 115 grain has the least penetration after passing through wall board. At the same time it still meets FBI and IWBA penetration minimums after passing through safety glass or heavy clothing, and it still has good expansion. Based on those results I'd go with the 115 grain if it was readily available, and functioned reliably in my pistol. I'd also not lose a wink of sleep if I had to substitute one of the other loads because of availability issues.

Steve C
November 7, 2012, 04:07 AM
I didn't choose any since they are all good choices. The 124gr +P will expand a bit wider than the 115gr but the 115gr looks completely adequate on this test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s82NCLKQI

compare to the 124gr +P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXfDcY-0gU and the 147gr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFQgP30Lao

C0untZer0
November 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
I think it's instructive to look at bullet performance when the same bullet is driven to higher or lower velocities.

The 147gr Gold Dot at standard loading and Underwood's +P+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFQgP30Lao

Standard Speer 147gr Gold Dot - penetrate to around 14.25" expands to around .585"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c

Underwood's +P+ Gold Dot - penetrates to around 12.75" and expands to around .795"

The 147gr Federal HST in standard and +P loading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRqrJRq4T0

Standard 147gr HST penetrates to around 13.25" and expands to around .664"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67WILeK66Y

+P 147g HST penetrates to around 11.25" and expands to around .700"

bigfatdave
November 7, 2012, 04:52 PM
My local Sportsman's Warehouse,are these the good 50-round boxes, or 20/25-round chump boxes?
Price per round?

I get my 124g+P gold dots in bulk for ~$0.50/round, by the way. It is my go-to load in 9x19, because it seems to be the standard load for anything but the little overpriced boxes. All the loads will do fine, I just dislike paying for packaging.

k_dawg
November 7, 2012, 07:00 PM
124gr GD in my Kahr CM9. The +P is too snappy. The 147gr velocity seems a bit too low in the short barrel.

124gr +P GD in my Walther P99. I use the Winchester Ranger 9mm NATO for practice. Very similar recoil/point of aim.

I tend to stay with GD. They seem consistently good across a wide product range and advancements.

Bobson
November 8, 2012, 01:51 AM
are these the good 50-round boxes, or 20/25-round chump boxes?
Price per round?

I get my 124g+P gold dots in bulk for ~$0.50/round, by the way. It is my go-to load in 9x19, because it seems to be the standard load for anything but the little overpriced boxes. All the loads will do fine, I just dislike paying for packaging.
They're the 20 round boxes. I've never even seen the 50 round boxes of any premium Hollow Point ammunition. Price per round on the Gold Dots are just barely over $1 per round. Those are the cheapest premium HP ammo I have found anywhere in my area.

I've actually had a hard time finding anything but premium HP ammo. The stores in my area all stock premium HP smmo, but none that I have found carry "basic" HP in 9mm, like WWB. Weird thing is, all the shops carry "basic" HP ammo in other calibers. But for 9mm, its premium HP, or FMJ. And that includes big stores like Sportsman's, Cabela's, and BPS.

Shawn Dodson
November 8, 2012, 08:28 AM
They're the 20 round boxes. I've never even seen the 50 round boxes of any premium Hollow Point ammunition. Price per round on the Gold Dots are just barely over $1 per round. Those are the cheapest premium HP ammo I have found anywhere in my area.

$26.10 for 50 rounds at http://www.policehq.com/Products/CCI-9GD

MTMilitiaman
November 9, 2012, 11:04 AM
I run Win PDX1 124 gr +Ps in my G19 for defense. I could run the 124 gr standard pressure without issue, it doesn't make that much difference. I think a little extra velocity might help ensure expansion, but bullet technology is pretty decent these days and in most cases, I am sure it would be fine without a 100 extra fps.

Truth be told the only thing that keeps me from going with a good 147 gr JHP is the near total absence of a cheap 147 gr FMJ available in bulk for practice.

velo99
November 9, 2012, 05:33 PM
I run Win PDX1 124 gr too. BG better hope I dont get to the second mag. In my second mag I have hand loaded 124 gn xtp over 4.8 gns of universal. Those puppies will leave a mark.

shep854
November 9, 2012, 08:19 PM
I voted for the 124gr std, since I also have small Kel-Tecs for carry. By my reasoning, the 124 is a good mid-weight (and is the original loading for the 9x19)
If I were limited to a 'full-size' pistol, I would lean toward the +P, which is closer to the original 'hot' 9x19 loads (or so I understand).

Jaymo
November 9, 2012, 09:03 PM
If I get to the second mag, I've done something horribly wrong.

strambo
November 9, 2012, 10:45 PM
I voted for the 124g +P, but have run both the +Ps and standard pressure 124g GDs as my carry/HD load. I'll get the one in stock when I need more.

JohnBT
November 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
"I am sure it would be fine without a 100 extra fps"

Looking at the Gold Dot spec table, the difference between 124 and the 124+P is only 70 fps - 1150 and 1220 - from a 4" barrel. That's a 6% increase, significant but not monumental.

I have some 124+P around here somewhere, but my Rohrbaugh won't shoot it and the other guns don't need it. And I like .45 better anyway. :)

psp7304
November 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
I voted 124 gr +p but would not be opposed to the 147 gr.

REDMASTA
November 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
I carry gold dot 124 +p and have been doing so for years. Ive tried several other types of hp ammo in different grains which ran just fine, but I always come back to the gold dot in 124... Just feels right for some reason.

C0untZer0
November 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Most of the cheaper 147 FMJ offerings, are not anything like the premium 147 SD ammmunition, so I would think that anything you're trying to accomplish by using the same bullet weight in you practice ammo - you wouldn't be accomplishing because the premium vs cheap practice ammo would have different characteristics and would perform differently.

Speer's Lawman in 147gr is designed to mimic premium SD 147gr ammo:

"Many Lawman loads duplicate the velocities and bullet weights we load in Gold DotŪ so your practice is realistic."

"Lawman ammunition is designed to meet the strict training needs of Law Enforcement Professionals. Each Speer FMJ or TMJ load is specifically engineered to deliver the feel and performance of its Gold Dot companion cartridge."

As for price, it goes for around $12.50 for a fifty round box.

Swing
November 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
124 grain +P. mhmm.

cwl1862
November 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
124 gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel in all my 9's. As a matter of fact I use GD in all of my SD firearms.

C0untZer0
November 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
Interesting comparision tool - it has data for Gold Dots and Federal HST:

http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx

I was able to get 124gr and 147gr Gold Dots online from Palmetto Armory and SG Ammo

RBid
November 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
I voted 147. The 124 and 124+P are also great.

I practice with 115gr ball. It has more snap than the 147gr GDHP I carry, so I feel like a world class shooter when I run some of my defensive loads through.

The 147 is very controllable, and it penetrates great. Those are my priorities. The expansion is boringly reliable, and solid. In Oregon, where we have a lot of heavy people, and heavy clothing, this is a perfect round.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dots - 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!