The CCP Process has started!

PDA

tacxted
November 6, 2012, 11:28 AM
I just signed up for a conceald carry class here in Maine! Just in time according to a man I talked to in my LGS. "....If the election goes bad, its better to be grandfathered in..." he said.

My handgun of choice will be a Glock 26. I plan to use a Galco maimi calssic shoulder holster and a IWB holster. I already have perchased the gun and have put 125 ish rounds through it.

The cost is $100. Ill be taking my evaluation and target shots this sunday!
Im looking forward to become a responsible armed citizen.

Ill update this as it happens.

If you enjoyed reading about "The CCP Process has started!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryanxia
November 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
Congratulations. I've had my Maine CCW for some years now and it definitely makes me feel safer. :)

Downeast
November 6, 2012, 01:21 PM
Congratulations, but plan on it taking 60-90 days after you submit paperwork, they're pretty backed up.

Just One Shot
November 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the club, the more the merrier!

psyopspec
November 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
"....If the election goes bad, its better to be grandfathered in..." he said.

Which candidate or bill is threatening a federal ban on concealed carry? Something that draconian isn't likely to have a grandfather clause. I'm happy for you getting your CCW, and for going about it with a sense of urgency. But there's no need to unleash a bogey man when there are plenty of actual threats to restrict 2A underway.

FIVETWOSEVEN
November 6, 2012, 02:48 PM
Once I can finally get my NH CCW, I'm getting a Maine Permit as well. A lot of my time is spent in Maine so I might as well.

Downeast
November 6, 2012, 07:42 PM
"Once I can finally get my NH CCW, I'm getting a Maine Permit as well. A lot of my time is spent in Maine so I might as well."

I have my Maine permit, but need to send in for my NH permit :D

tacxted
November 7, 2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

psyopspec: Which candidate or bill is threatening a federal ban on concealed carry?

Im not sure what he is talking about. i havnt heard of anything in Maine recently.

This is what one of my groups looks like from 15 to 20 feet. The post-it-note is for size comparison. The "X" is where I was Aiming and trying to hit. Any pointers to get my group over?
http://i.imgur.com/kB4Cf.jpg

tryshoot
November 7, 2012, 04:53 PM
WELCOME The more of us the better.

tacxted
November 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
So I earned a 100% on my written test and I kept all of my shots on target at the range! I sent in the paperwork this morning and I should hear back from the PD when my permit arrives! Should be about 30 days, now I wait.

hermannr
November 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
In the meantime, Maine is an Open Carry state...and you don't have to wait. Be sure you know the law and any possible restrictions, but open carry works too you know. Actually for your self protections, OC probably works better...less likely to have someone choose to try to make you a victim.

There is a reason the LE oc's you know.

230RN
November 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
tacxted asked,

Any pointers to get my group over?

Your rear sight needs to be moved horizontally approximately as follows, without detailed info:

Target distance = 15' to 20', call it 17.5 feet, or 210 inches.

Judging distances from a 2" Post-It note, the group needs to be moved about 1 1/2" to the left.

You need to move the rear sight a small amount to the left. ("Move the rear sight in the same direction you want to move the group." That's the rule.)

You need to know the sight radius (distance between front and rear sights) of your gun to find out exactly how much movement is needed.

This exact amount would be found this way:

Sight Movement / Sight Radius (unknown) = Needed Group Movement / Target Distance.

(This is a simple proportion. Laying it out on paper, using the front sight as a pivot point, makes it obvious.)

Thus, sight movement = Sight Radius X 1.5 / 210

I'd probably leave the vertical adjustment alone, but that's your decision. The vertical distance to move the sight would be determined with the same proportional formula using the sight radius, distance to target, and movement of the group needed.

You will be surprised how little sight movement is needed in a handgun with its short sight radius, to dial the sights in. (The proportion is good for iron-sighted rifles, too, but the movements must be greater because of the longer sight radii in long guns.)

Example: Assuming your handgun's sight radius is 6", the sight will have to be moved approximately 0.043" according to the photo you submitted. (A little less than 3/64th of an inch.)

Again, laying it out on paper makes it obvious how that proportion works.

Congratulations on taking responsibility for your own and your family's safety!

Terry, 230RN

tacxted
December 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hello again!

I got a phone call from my local PD today telling me my card is ready for pick up.
I am a CCW permit holder now!

Fred_G
December 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
Congrats!

If you enjoyed reading about "The CCP Process has started!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!