1st deer using Hornady XTP-Mags (ML)

PDA

627PCFan
November 6, 2012, 09:45 PM
Went out today for the 1st time this season with the TC muzzle loader and got a nice sized Virginia doe. About the only thing I saw all day except some crows. Anyhow I switched bullets from Speer 45 colt deep curls that behind 100 grains of Blackhorn and shedding lead and jackets to the 45 300 grain Hornady XTP-Mags for this season. I managed to recover the bullet tonight. I took a facing shot as she browsed head down, put it between the front leg and the backbone@ 70 yards. Penetrated a full 2 feet so far as I can tell and ended up in the back half of the gut pile when I was cleaning her. The recovered weight was 252 grains. Held together quite well.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/JRSpicer426/DSC_0064.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "1st deer using Hornady XTP-Mags (ML)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TEAM101
November 7, 2012, 12:28 AM
I took one with a 245 gr XTP a couple years ago. The shot was very similar to yours and about 75 yards away. She ran the full 75 yards, stopped right under my stand, then fell flat on her face. When I dressed her out, the internals looked like red jelly. I never did locate the bullet, but it was a devastating wound.

Patocazador
November 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
I just switched to that XTP-Mag. bullet because the 250 gr. HP/XTP I was using disintegrated on the shoulder bone of a small buck. I was shooting Blackhorn 209 and it was going at 1800+ fps according to my Chrony chronograph. The 250 gr. bullet is not designed for muzzle velocities exceeding 1600-1700 fps. The 300 XTP-Mag is supposed to do better at higher velocities. I hope so!

BP Hunter
November 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
I have used the Hornady 250gx XTP on 2 coyotes. The entrance wound was as large as the bullet caliber itself but the exit wound was abou 2 1/2" large!

If you enjoyed reading about "1st deer using Hornady XTP-Mags (ML)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!