Post-election buying panic mega thread of power

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

horsemen61
November 7, 2012, 01:39 AM
Do you all think ammo will go up in price or components for your guns will go up first

If you enjoyed reading about "Post-election buying panic mega thread of power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
breakingcontact
November 7, 2012, 01:42 AM
It's not typically wise to make emotional decisions...

but have your buying priorities changed due to the election result?

Some of you have been through the scares before. How do you plan on riding out the next 4 years?

Or should we all just...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Romd4X9Gmvg/TvNfIO6YqYI/AAAAAAAABOs/cKC-OTQPFL8/s1600/keep-calm-and-carry-on.png'

animator
November 7, 2012, 01:44 AM
In 2008 I bought reloading supplies and components.

This time it will be guns, mags, and loaded ammo.

kazaam
Will ammo get more expensive since the president will be re-elected? I'm not trying to troll, but I just got into firearms and just bought my first one, so I don't know how elections influence ammo prices.

Thanks!

graywolfkayak
Nope.

Philippe
November 7, 2012, 01:45 AM
I bet some smaller shop owners are already re-stickering items waiting to open the doors to the masses in the morning.

psyopspec
November 7, 2012, 01:47 AM
Did your buying priorities just change?

Nope. Keeping the pantry stocked, the fridge full, and a pack of smokes in my pocket until I break this nasty habit. I also hate it when I run out of toilet paper, so will probably keep that a high priority.

How do you plan on riding out the next 4 years?

Take a breath. Realize that the sun rise. Let my actions be consistent with my beliefs. Not stress myself out unnecessarily or in a way that will impact my health negatively.

Coop45
November 7, 2012, 01:48 AM
Nope!!

TP is important, but so is peanut butter. LOL!!

ZGunner
Nothing changes until it changes... That sounds dumb, I wish I knew another way to put it.

Mike J
There is a pretty good chance that firearm & ammunition prices will go crazy for the next six months after this election. A lot of people will be worried about a ban & try to stock up on ammunition as well as certain types of rifles. This is good for the gun & ammunition companies but not so good for us. If no ban comes things should calm down in 6 months or so.

chevyman097
Yes.

Bet wal mart and academy shelves are clear tomorrow.

jcwit
November 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
Nope, I'm stocked!

creeper1956
November 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hard to believe that gun people would take advantage of gun people huh? Oh wait... nevermind. :rolleyes:

Philippe
November 7, 2012, 01:51 AM
Clear tomorrow? People are already pouring into walmart clearing ammo shelves!

gspn
November 7, 2012, 01:51 AM
No.

Tomorrow is no different than yesterday. All of the same people still have the same jobs...I'll carry on. I don't like it...but at least I got to vote about it. It's still the best place around.

Philippe
November 7, 2012, 01:52 AM
I heard there is going to be a toilet paper shortage!

barnetmill
November 7, 2012, 01:55 AM
I am waiting for a sane analysis of what to expect relative to the second amendment and the recent election results. I plan to purchase a little more 7.62x54R ammo if it does not become unreasonable. I only plan to buy the ammo I need for practice/training and that does not require tons of ammo. From time to time I might another firearm, but need sell some of what I got. Really there are a lot of other things that I want than a lot more ammo or another gun. If I am worried about security I would go for electronics and dogs for that rather than filling the basement or crawl space with ammo.
Romney is about to give his concession speech so I will finish to listen to it.

Liberation
November 7, 2012, 01:56 AM
Bought months ago a lot of wolf, surplus 5.45.

Wouldn't surprise me if some how Obama finds a way to bypass the legislature to ban imported ammo.

Really if you were worried, should of bought months ago. The prices will probably be high for a year+.

Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 02:04 AM
Nope. Personal analysis: tommorrow, when I wake up, Whoohoo! I'll still be Texan. Still a good reminder to up that TSRA membership though.

allaroundhunter
November 7, 2012, 02:05 AM
Most likely, yes, prices will go up. At least for a little bit.

I would not be surprised to see ammo shelves near empty for a while. I know that Gander Mtn and Academy near me were completely out of stock of 9mm and .223 ammo today...

Coop45
November 7, 2012, 02:05 AM
I heard there is going to be a toilet paper shortage!
Don't give up you newspaper subscription. LOL!!!

HOOfan_1
November 7, 2012, 02:07 AM
Whether or not the government has any impact on shooting accessories or not, I think we learned in 2008, the scare alone can affect the supplies. I am buying some reloading stuff tomorrow. It is stuff I have run out of, so I need it anyway.

I built an AR in May, I had always planned to, but with this election coming up, I sped up my plans. I have also stocked up on magazines for the guns I already have.

Heck maybe the big time run on guns, ammo and magazines will make the government think twice about going after that stuff.

Inebriated
November 7, 2012, 02:11 AM
No. As usual, I will buy what I want when I have the money for it.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 02:14 AM
I'm already prepared. I'm not waiting for the hurricane to hit before I try to buy supplies. We've been in hurricane season for a while now; so hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Trent
November 7, 2012, 02:15 AM
Hell, after '06, I've accumulated enough set aside to last me the rest of my natural life.

My retirement plan. One way or another. Profit or security, whichever the way the wind blows.

rduchateau2954
November 7, 2012, 02:19 AM
I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to go blow my savings. I feel sick.

I think I need a hug, and some range time.

Sent from the ninja burban

stompah
November 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
Nope, they will not change. I have enough supplies in hand to press out enough ammo to give me about a dozen range trips. I truly don't think having 10,000 rounds of each caliber I own is going to matter in a shtf situation.

Inebriated
November 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
I think I need a hug, and some range time.

Bring it in...

There ya go...

Now man up. *punches you in chest and hands you beer*

gspn
November 7, 2012, 02:28 AM
Bring it in...

There ya go...

Ha! Easily one of the best posts to ever occupy the web. Too funny.

mljdeckard
November 7, 2012, 02:29 AM
They didn't just change, but I'm wishing I had a better stockpile of reloading supplies. Not because I'm afraid of Obama, I'm afraid of Obama PANIC from OTHER people.

justice06rr
November 7, 2012, 02:32 AM
No. As usual, I will buy what I want when I have the money for it.

I like that answer. Same goes for me. No need to panic -- yet. LOL

I would probably just need to stock up a bit more on ammo as I only buy enough for a range session or two. I already have most of the guns I want or would need, now just to feed them...

Arkansas Paul
November 7, 2012, 02:34 AM
Oh, I may pick up a few extra primers but only because I don't want to run out. I'm not stocking up for some fantasy scenario.

justice06rr
November 7, 2012, 02:36 AM
I always say "it depends". Most ammo has been steadily going up in the last few years anyway. They will continue to go up in price relative to inflation.

Until an actual law restricting firearms and ammo is passed, we should not feed the panic.

Fishslayer
November 7, 2012, 02:39 AM
Nope. Looking a bit more fondly, though, at that crate of Yugo x39 that just appreciated a little more. ;)

I'm always after primers anyway when I can get 'em cheap.

Apachedriver
November 7, 2012, 02:42 AM
They didn't just change, but I'm wishing I had a better stockpile of reloading supplies. Not because I'm afraid of Obama, I'm afraid of Obama PANIC from OTHER people.

Yep, I agree. How long 'til LGS prices run up and Big Box Stores start rationing again? That's what I wonder about.

Fishslayer
November 7, 2012, 02:44 AM
Clear tomorrow? People are already pouring into walmart clearing ammo shelves!

Not this time for me. The place I buy my powder has always been restricted to a certain quantity on hand so ya have to get lucky. I'll check the powder locker when I'm there just like I always do.

hehe... during the Great Ammo Drought of '09 I bought a couple boxes of .380 JHP at Walmart. Why? Because it was there. I don't even own a .380! :D

OARNGESI
November 7, 2012, 02:47 AM
fishslayer so do you still have that 380ammo?

1911 guy
November 7, 2012, 02:48 AM
Change? No. But I'll probably step up my timing for ammo purchases trying to beat the shortage sure to come from panic.

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread in six months to see what happens and how our perspective changes once the second term (never thought I'd have to type THAT phrase) gets rolling.

Yep, keep calm and carry on. We'll ride it out, but it may be ugly in spots.

PabloJ
November 7, 2012, 02:50 AM
Few days ago I bought seven boxes of Winchester 175grain 10x25s only because the shop rarely has it in stock. The $18/pack was pretty good price. I do not plan on buying any more as this will last me for at least one year.

Skribs
November 7, 2012, 02:51 AM
Nope. It's still food before everything else.

Sergei Mosin
November 7, 2012, 02:56 AM
Be interesting to see what it looks like tomorrow or this weekend, but today was pretty quiet in the two gun stores I visited. I did order some ammo today but I had been meaning to do that anyway - my GP100 is hungry.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 02:57 AM
Yep, I agree. How long 'til LGS prices run up and Big Box Stores start rationing again? That's what I wonder about.
I give it a couple months before we start seeing rants about Walmart not having ammo on the shelves. Then the bargain shoppers will move in on the higher priced local gun stores to shop for ammo. But hopefully by next summer things will be back to some level of normal (even if that is a new "normal" for us.) I would not want to be searching for bargains and "have" to buy a few months down the road. But I could be wrong; it happened once before.

If lots of people start dumping their revolvers or grandpa's bolt guns and lever actions to finance more black rifles and wonder-nines, it could lead to some good deals on some classic firearms: if there's a silver lining, that's it for me. I'm still looking for a Belgian BLR, Winchester lever gun, and S&W 19 with 2.5 inch barrel.

helitack32f1
November 7, 2012, 02:58 AM
Read this. http://townhall.com/columnists/katiepavlich/2012/11/06/what_does_a_second_obama_term_mean_for_gun_owners

Just an example of what is headed down the pike. It has already been demonstrated that this President is not interested in being constrained by the Constitution and was only holding back due to the need to be re elected. Buying ammo and guns should be done, if possible until it is shown that there is nothing to worry about.

so, to answer the question, yes, my priorities have changed. I will do what I can with the limited funds available.

Only question now is, how long until a moderator shuts this discussion down?

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 03:03 AM
Only question now is, how long until a moderator shuts this discussion down?

Start a poll. :)

2zulu1
November 7, 2012, 03:09 AM
Not really, I budget for reloading supplies and shooting is a year round sport here. I have about 400 rounds of 44mag loaded up, in the morning I'll go to the range and give myself and M29 a work out. Hopefully I'll be relaxed before running out of ammo. :D

Impureclient
November 7, 2012, 03:21 AM
I'm plenty stocked, so no changes here. Only thing is I will have to start shooting all the bulk stuff and not my quiet subsonic when things start to get dry. Might have some irritated neighbors but oh well.

Gato Montés
November 7, 2012, 03:33 AM
Learned lesson last time. I'm gonna be sitting pretty for the next couple of years.

To those who didn't, well, good luck.

MachIVshooter
November 7, 2012, 03:36 AM
Everything related to firearms is going to skyrocket. If you can find what you want, expect to pay a kings ransom.

Things will probably calm down a little in the spring when the sting of this loss fades a bit, but expect tomorrow to be an epoch in gun & ammo pricing.

MachIVshooter
November 7, 2012, 03:40 AM
But I'll probably step up my timing for ammo purchases trying to beat the shortage sure to come from panic.

Too late.

tarosean
November 7, 2012, 03:47 AM
not at all

Old Guy
November 7, 2012, 03:58 AM
No.

Tomorrow is no different than yesterday. All of the same people still have the same jobs...I'll carry on. I don't like it...but at least I got to vote about it. It's still the best place around.
My sentiments exactly.

r1derbike
November 7, 2012, 04:02 AM
Nope. Pretty much have what I need. I'll laugh at the panic buying of equipment and ammo price hikes. Maybe need 1 or 2 mags...getting lazy loading in my old age.

November 7, 2012, 04:04 AM
Since this is a gun board, I'm assuming you're talking about guns & ammo.
And the answer is nope.
Folks who wait until the enemies are at their gate to decide to be prepared get exactly what they deserve.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 04:15 AM
Everything related to firearms is going to skyrocket. If you can find what you want, expect to pay a kings ransom.

Things will probably calm down a little in the spring when the sting of this loss fades a bit, but expect tomorrow to be an epoch in gun & ammo pricing.
My bet is on the frenzy continuing through spring, dying down in the summer. Hopefully I'm wrong. I bought 45 ACP at $309 per case delivered from Ammo Man almost a year ago. It's at $399 now. I'll use that as a gauge to see just how silly things get going forward.

MachIVshooter
November 7, 2012, 04:27 AM
I bought 45 ACP at $309 per case delivered from Ammo Man almost a year ago. It's at $399 now. I'll use that as a gauge to see just how silly things get going forward.

PMC Gold .223 is up $20/case since last month where I bought (online)

Dr.Rob
November 7, 2012, 04:47 AM
Not really. I wanted to get another AR lower, still do. Thinking of building a more competition friendly rifle.

Dr_B
November 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
Don't panic and hit the stores. We, the gun community, will only be hurting ourselves.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 05:09 AM
Don't panic and hit the stores. We, the gun community, will only be hurting ourselves.
The gun community is going to do just that, panic and hit the stores. I agree with you it is not the best course of action though.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 05:10 AM
PMC Gold .223 is up $20/case since last month where I bought (online)
Let's see where it sits come February.

Sport45
November 7, 2012, 05:29 AM
No. It's not like we had a big change or anything.

R.W.Dale
November 7, 2012, 05:39 AM
No

Its not like on 2a related issues the two potential winners didn't share the same ideology.

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

Ala Dan
November 7, 2012, 06:21 AM
Nope

valnar
November 7, 2012, 06:27 AM
As long as we have enough notice before a new judge is appointed or an AWB is created again, I think we'll be okay.

I don't believe our gun rights will be taken away in one big swoop, ala Obamacare. I think it will be whittled away slowly instead, so keep your eyes peeled.

pockets
November 7, 2012, 07:52 AM
The sun came up this morning, Annie was singing, the Four Horseman aren't banging on my door, there were no riots to battle on my way to work....
It's all been and will be quite uneventful really. I think we will all survive.

I never get to the 'unstocked' stage on shooting supplies, so I don't need to buy in any blind panic.

Although....I may move to Washington state or Colorado now....... :D

HoosierQ
November 7, 2012, 07:55 AM
No.

hso
November 7, 2012, 07:57 AM
We did this same thread before the election so I don't expect anything significant to change.

We'll see a mini banic, but nothing like 2008. Too many people have too much already and the profiteers will only stock up on a fraction of what they did before.

As the OP so appropriately posted -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Romd4X9Gmvg/TvNfIO6YqYI/AAAAAAAABOs/cKC-OTQPFL8/s1600/keep-calm-and-carry-on.png%27

pockets
November 7, 2012, 08:02 AM
Free enterprise and panicked buyers......what a combination.

oneounceload
November 7, 2012, 08:07 AM
Exactly - it is only going to skyrocket if you panic

gfanikf
November 7, 2012, 08:07 AM
Its morning in America...and it seems to be okay at the moment. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bikerdoc
November 7, 2012, 08:09 AM
Im not seeing it yet, but im sure it is coming.

FROGO207
November 7, 2012, 08:10 AM
I expect steady progress the way things have been going in the last 4 years. The biggest problem will be the creeping up of prices and feeling of lack of control over ones situation.

Halal Pork
November 7, 2012, 08:12 AM
Although....I may move to Washington state or Colorado now....... :D

They say the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

(Couldn't resist a bad pun.)

C0untZer0
November 7, 2012, 08:18 AM
I took a gamble and bought $600 worth of ammo a few months ago, mostly 9mm.

The online stores were out of Winchester Ranger T 147gr RA9T all summer, when they came back in stock I bought it right away.

I also purchased a bunch of 147gr practice ammo - the 147gr Lawman which pretty closely simulates 147gr pemuim SD ammo.

I also stocked up on .22 because I'm going to be going to the range and teaching m kids how to shoot and I don't want to be paying outrageous prices for ammo next year.

I was afraid there would be a run on ammo if Obama got re-elected, I didn't want to have to deal with that so I purchased ahead of time.

45_auto
November 7, 2012, 08:19 AM
Its not like on 2a related issues the two potential winners didn't share the same ideology.

You really believe that the Republicans and Democrats have the same ideology on Supreme Court appointments? You better hope that those old men stay healthy .......

Walkalong
November 7, 2012, 08:23 AM
have your buying priorities changed due to the election result?Not at all. Politicians are way to busy with other things right now, and any anti gun legislation is unlikely to pass.

I would worry more from state to state where some local legislatures are might be pushing taxes on gun items. You cannot out buy anti legislation, so if you are worried, get involved and fight it at the political level.

If vendors run up prices after the results, I simply won't buy anything I do not absolutely need until they come back down.

We'll see a mini banic, but nothing like 2008. Too many people have too much already and the profiteers will only stock up on a fraction of what they did before.I would have to agree. Some folks will panic, but not most will not, and most folks are too broke to binge buy right now anyway.

bikerdoc
November 7, 2012, 08:25 AM
NOPE, been ready.

breakingcontact
November 7, 2012, 08:27 AM
I need to evaluate what I have and what I feasibly need and draw a line.

Don't plan on getting swept up in panic buying.

Will buy a few boxes of ammo today but not buying cases or anything.

WILL be joining the Texas State Rifle Association today.

cfullgraf
November 7, 2012, 08:30 AM
I have been preparing for the next four years for the last four years.

I am a bit surprised the "feeding frenzy" had not already started a month or two ago, but at least in my parts, it has not. We will see.

Gun show vendor and store inventories are higher than what I consider normal ij my area.

vito
November 7, 2012, 08:32 AM
In the short run there will be probably be little change for gun owners, but in the longer run the re-election of Obama is likely to have severe consequences. Despite little action during his first term, his pre-presidential statements clearly show his strong antipathy to firearms, and now that he will never face another election I foresee us facing federal regulations (bypassing congress) by various agencies that could restrict the purchase of firearms, ammunition followed by weapon registration or worse. America has decided to follow the road paved by Europe which will lead to chronic high unemployment, a falling standard of living, increased bloated government beauracracies, higher taxes, rationing of health care (except to those who are politically favored or well connected) and a slow but sure decent into an America that is but a shadow of the great country we used to be. I mourn for this loss for my children and grandchildren. Guns and ammo may be the least of our problems.

fatcat4620
November 7, 2012, 08:37 AM
I might unload some...

45lcshooter
November 7, 2012, 08:40 AM
Ill keep my eye out like a hawk for cheap componets. Got a decent supply now, but every time you pull the trigger, you loose lead and copper.

Kyle M.
November 7, 2012, 08:46 AM
I'm stocked up for at least a year or two on reloading supplies. So unless I add another caliber I'm good. I think it's kind of sad that I always felt that I lived in a gun friendly community but nearly everyone I know voted for obama. The owner of my lgs even voted for him stating that it would be good for his wallet if obama was reelected.

AJMBLAZER
November 7, 2012, 08:46 AM
I'm worried but less on guns and more on the rest of the country.

As someone else said time to take inventory of my stock, reconsider some wants, and decide what to do next.
I may restart my "box or two every pay check" ammo buying habit from 4-5 years ago. Still shooting off my stockpile from then even after selling some when times got tight.

19-3Ben
November 7, 2012, 08:47 AM
So, I actually just got a little bonus at work and have budgeted $350 for ammo purchases.
How do we project until the panic buying ends?

Sav .250
November 7, 2012, 09:00 AM
THe only thing that "changes" is the amount of money in my pocket.

Sav .250
November 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
Only time will tell on this one.

Jeff H
November 7, 2012, 09:08 AM
have your buying priorities changed due to the election result?

Remember, All Bills originate in the House of Representatives. With the current Speaker, AWB type bills will never come up for a vote so there won't be any sweeping legislation. Just a gentle eroding via executive orders...

That being said, I learned from 2008 and have been buying for the last 4 years when I saw good deals and my habits won't change.

Sport45
November 7, 2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not getting excited. What changed? The same guy is still on capitol hill.

pockets
November 7, 2012, 09:14 AM
People, panicking during and after elections, have influence on ammo prices.
Dealers, cashing in on panicked people, have influence on ammo prices.

Double Naught Spy
November 7, 2012, 09:17 AM
All the people that think they need to buy because of the election are all the people who apparently were never really as prepared as they thought they were. ;)

WinThePennant
November 7, 2012, 09:22 AM
I changed my buying habits MONTHS AGO in anticipation of a second Obama term.

Built two ARs, and bought extra hi-cap mags (Glock 33 rounders and PMAGs for the AR).

I don't want to see the prices go any higher, but I plan on buying an AK-47 in January (if I can find one!).

buck460XVR
November 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
All the people that think they need to buy because of the election are all the people who apparently were never really as prepared as they thought they were. ;)

Exactly........and all of those rushin' out now to buy are the same ones that drove the price increases and shortages 4 years ago.:rolleyes:

One would have thought they woulda learned......

JustinJ
November 7, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'll probably hold off on buying a few things so that i can take advantage of the post panic deals.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 7, 2012, 10:12 AM
My 50 BMG ammo went up $30 a case overnight. I refuse to deal with price hikers... Pockets is right though. It is mainly us, when people panic, demand and prices go up.

cfullgraf
November 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
Gun show vendors and at least one gun store in my area have increased inventories leading up to the election. As of the Sunday before the election, the "feeding frenzy" had not started here. Time will tell.

One major difference this time around, the ammunition requirements for the business in Iraq and Afghanistan are lower these days than in 2008. Ammunition manufacturers should have more production capacity to apply towards the civilian market.

Again, time will tell.

oneounceload
November 7, 2012, 10:15 AM
Except now he is a lame duck so he can charge full ahead with his personal political agenda and not be worried about reelection

breakingcontact
November 7, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm worried but less on guns and more on the rest of the country.

Most definitely. I suppose the gun hobby/lifestyle is a way we can vote with our purchasing power though.

Ammo and guns will probably be more expensive and we'll have less (and weaker) dollars with which to buy.

rduchateau2954
November 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
Bring it in...

There ya go...

Haha thanks!

ny32182
November 7, 2012, 10:20 AM
It is not "mainly" us, it is "all" us. There was NO BAN last time around. NO legislative impact whatsoever.

You could not buy a small pistol primer for 6 months or more at any cost, and the prices of just about anything semiautomatic or ammo related (components and loaded ammo) went absolutely through the roof.

I'm "hoping" that the chicken-littles have been steadily buying over the last year and that the rush over the next six months won't be as bad this time around, but I realize that is probably too much to ask.

I have a much better component stash this time around which "should" get me to the end of the panic cycle, but I will have to buy more at that time if I continue my current rate of shooting.

As far as guns and gear, if we see a return of $400 lowers, $1800 Colt 6920s, .80/pop .308 surplus, and $50 Pmags I'll be a seller this time.

12gaugeTim
November 7, 2012, 10:26 AM

Isn't this what would be called a negative feedback loop? Some people (panic'ers) are legitimately scared Obama is going to begin to restrict handguns / baby killing assault rifles of doom / ammo. As a result they go buy it in large quantities. Other people, who are scared the panic'ers are going to jack up the prices (per the rules of economics) go do the same thing, in case what they're looking at buying currently will become much more expensive if they wait. These two factors in junction raise the prices of guns and ammo, which makes the people scared of rising prices even MORE scared, causing them to hoard even more, further raising the prices, etc.

cfullgraf
November 7, 2012, 10:26 AM
Gridlock will prevail in the federal government for at least the next two years since the Republicans still control the house.

I spent the last four years getting ready for the next four years. It is rare for an incumbent president to not get re-elected.

As of the night of the election, a "feeding frenzy" had not started in my area and gun show vendors and at least one gun store had increased inventories, obviously in hopes of getting in on increased sales. Time will tell.

gfanikf
November 7, 2012, 10:29 AM
Isn't this what would be called a negative feedback loop? Some people (panic'ers) are legitimately scared Obama is going to begin to restrict handguns / baby killing assault rifles of doom / ammo. As a result they go buy it in large quantities. Other people, who are scared the panic'ers are going to jack up the prices (per the rules of economics) go do the same thing, in case what they're looking at buying currently will become much more expensive if they wait. These two factors in junction raise the prices of guns and ammo, which makes the people scared of rising prices even MORE scared, causing them to hoard even more, further raising the prices, etc.

Its a vicious cycle, isn't it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Kyle M.
November 7, 2012, 10:30 AM
Theres about five gun shops within 50 miles of me, after the 08 election I had no trouble getting guns, ammo, primers, or powder at any of them, and there was no price gouging to be found. There was alot of panic buying the day after elections but everything was stocked back up within a week. My lgs was pretty quiet yesterday, there not open wednesdays but I'll find out tomorrow if this election is any different from the last.

WinThePennant
November 7, 2012, 10:31 AM
Folks, it has started. I got an email from Atlantic Firearms that a Vepr AK was in stock. I immediately went to purchase, and guess what? Out of stock!

They must have sold out in just a few minutes.

jmorris
November 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
No, although it's a good time to buy "stuff". The dollar is going to have to be all but worthless to pay back the debt we have and are sure to pile on.

W.E.G.
November 7, 2012, 10:36 AM
What?... you have a problem with "reasonable restrictions?" :rolleyes:

Sniper66
November 7, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, I will be less likely to postpone buying guns and components when I see something I want. In the past, I might wait thinking there is always another day. But, I no longer have confidence that another day with a better option will occur. We have seen the slow insidious erosion of our freedom and that is certain to get worse, including the availability of everything related to shooting.

tyeo098
November 7, 2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't had to buy ammo is a year or so.
I reload. Hopefully components won't go up much.

longknife12
November 7, 2012, 10:43 AM
Have enought loading stuff for the rest of my life...... now that I have retired, it's time to stuff some brass!
Dan
:cool:

W.E.G.
November 7, 2012, 10:45 AM
I've got four five-gallon buckets of brass to trim.

I hope I can finish them about in time for the 2014 elections.

Philippe
November 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
Both Walmart's near me are already cleaned out of ammo. Cant wait to see the swarms of people hit the local shops...

22-rimfire
November 7, 2012, 10:48 AM
There is no way I can adequately prepare for what I see is coming with my resources. I can prepare for a storm or a flood, but not this.

22-rimfire
November 7, 2012, 10:52 AM
I am resigned to whatever happens. I doubt I will participate in any significant mega buying panic. Time to begin selling.

Queen_of_Thunder
November 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
No change in my buying but I may take advantage of a possible buying surge by selling some guns to raise some cash at the gun show coming up. I need a Trap combo gun as I'm now interested in shooting doubles.

Babarsac
November 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
Just picked up a case of 9mm at Dicks for the same price as AIM Surplus. I wouldn't be surprised to see the box stores empty out and the gun-show prices to jack up.....then to have things settle down for the holiday discounts.

mdauben
November 7, 2012, 10:56 AM
I feel I'm fairly well set on the most likely targets of any new restrictions (high cap magazines and military style small arms) so I don't anticipate any real changes in my buying plans for now other than maybe stepping up my ammo purchases of super-deadly-killer-dumdum-bullets (otherwise known as JHP) just a bit. Its all subject to change as we don't really know what to expect in the next four years. :(

BullFrawg
November 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
Maybe. I have been trying to decide on whether I should buy an AR15 or a .22 rifle first; preference now goes to the scary-looking, restrict-able one.

45lcshooter
November 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
I got an infraction for my post on this thread, so lets do this again.

Sun raises in East and sets in the West. Woke up breathing oxygen today. My buy practices won't change due to who is in office, just need to save more money now for when he runs the nation into the ground.

Going to go buy reloading components, cigs, and diesel fuel!!!!!!!

Godsgunman
November 7, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure what will happen but I kinda did my own "stock up" Monday before the election so I could get my usual for the "usual" price. I was low on certain ammo anyways and figured I'd beat the "doomsdayers".

Ky Larry
November 7, 2012, 11:03 AM
My buying habits have changed but not because of the election. I've been keeping the UPS guy busy this past year buying reloading components and stashing .22lr ammo. Now I've reached equlibrium where I just replace what I shoot. Today is my birthday so I think I'll get 8 lbs of IMR-4064 and 8 lbs of AA#2 and some bullets with my b-day money.

bannockburn
November 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
No this doesn't really change anything that I have already been doing for the last 20 years or so. I buy what want when I can afford it.

jbrown50
November 7, 2012, 11:24 AM

Nope.

I'm still patiently keeping an eye out on a good deal on a nice AR-10.

I'll be putting considerably more effort though into pressuring Congress to reject any anti-2A Supreme Court justices.

Ashcons
November 7, 2012, 11:24 AM
After the 2008 election, I was trying to start on reloading to save on ammo costs. I could not find any primers in stock anywhere at a decent price (and could not afford the marked up prices). Some powders were difficult to find as well, but I think in addition to the buying panic, we had some large military ammo orders. My guess is that prices on ammo and components will increase immediately due to an expectation from sellers that firearm owners will be panic buying again. Whether there is actual demand will dictate whether the prices stay high as long as they did last time.

CountryUgly
November 7, 2012, 11:52 AM
Nope had my order placed before yesterday.... matter of fact I think I hear the UPS man now...BRB ;)

Captcurt
November 7, 2012, 11:58 AM
Most likely, yes, prices will go up. At least for a little bit.

I would not be surprised to see ammo shelves near empty for a while. I know that Gander Mtn and Academy near me were completely out of stock of 9mm and .223 ammo today...
Not only will there be some price gouging but you can look for new taxes on ammo and firearms. We will see some major changes.

Kyle M.
November 7, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna sit in the basement and reload while all the crazies pay $50 a box for cci blazer 9mm. Ok that might be a little exaggerated :D, either way I'm not running out of components any time soon.

bobinoregon
November 7, 2012, 12:03 PM
I personally think there is more to fear from the profiteers driving up prices with panic talk than there is from who is president. I buy ahead when I have the extra money and keep a reasonable amount of supplies.

tyeo098
November 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna sit in the basement and reload while all the crazies pay $50 a box for cci blazer 9mm. Ok that might be a little exaggerated :D, either way I'm not running out of components any time soon.
I just got a VERY used lee pro1000.
I cranked out 250 9mm's last night in an hour.

Coming from a single stage it was a beautiful feeling.

medalguy
November 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
Changes in my buying, no. I'm still buying guns, primers, powder, brass and bullets when I find good deals. They're out there. You can never have too much of anything. Well, maybe political ads......:neener:

kazaam
November 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
So, if there is a price increase, how crazy will it be? Lets say I can get 9mm for $0.21/round...what am I looking at now?

JohnBT
November 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
There will be plenty of ammo as soon as the president ends the war. He promised he'd end the war, didn't he? Four years ago?

John

Rob0321
November 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Went by WalMart at 7:00 this morning, the shelves were well on their way to being empty.

If anyone here follows the market, as could have been predicted while the DJIA is down over 300 points, Ruger and S&W are in the green.

Give it all a month and everything will come back to "normal"

razorback2003
November 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
Congress makes the laws, not the president. We do not live in a dictatorship yet. Congress did not really change so i am not worried.

45_auto
November 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
You may want to do a little research on "executive orders". I believe that some from World War 2 are still in effect. It was an executive order that put all Japanese-Americans into prison camps during WW2. I believe Bush and Clinton used them to deny importation of some firearms.

U.S. Presidents have issued executive orders since 1789, usually to help officers and agencies of the executive branch manage the operations within the federal government itself. Executive orders have the full force of law.

4kdave
November 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
You are forgetting about our President's use of Executive Orders. He doesn't need Congress as he proved the last 4 yrs

silicosys4
November 7, 2012, 02:12 PM
IF and when the time comes, I'm stocking up on insulin, and necessary pharmaceuticals. I believe I'll get further in providing and bartering necessary, lifegiving aid to my neighbors and newly-independant community, than being that guy that sprays bullets at anything that walks by.

Really...how many people do you expect to have to kill if it comes down to it?

silicosys4
November 7, 2012, 02:18 PM
No. If the time comes that having or not having 1k rounds of ammo will make or break you, Insulin and other pharmaceuticals will be just as if not more important. If you want leverage for the endtimes, stock up on that.

tyeo098
November 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
Really...how many people do you expect to have to kill if it comes down to it?

5 years of calladooty has prepared me for this very moment :p

Warp
November 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
Target Sports USA had the Federal bulk XM855, 1k rounds, for $420 shipped last night. It's up to $450 now.

The PMC Bronze .223 was $350 shipped last night. It's $380 now.

However, the $390 shipped 1k of XM193 has come back in stock.

Also, I watched SGAmmo last night. They had 1k round cases of PMC Bronze .223 for $320 (~$16 for shipping). They had over 90 listed on the page hours after the election was called. At 4 AM Eastern it was down to 7, and they are of course all gone now.

Fishslayer
November 7, 2012, 02:44 PM
We'll see a mini banic, but nothing like 2008. Too many people have too much already and the profiteers will only stock up on a fraction of what they did before.

As much as everybody likes to hate on WalMart they are one of the few that didn't jack up their prices in '09. Word on the street was that they were always out of ammo because Big 5 & the local ranges were buying it all up.

I bought my first handgun in November '08, by Feb '09 I was loading my own. But I still have... ummm... well... "a whole lot" of commercial .45ACP for which I paid 40 to 45 cents a round.:eek: It just sits under the bed & I look at it as a fairly liquid asset that I simply "bought too soon." ;)

My local gun board has an "ammo & reloading" WTS forum. I've been able to jump on the odd good deal from time to time. Got plenty of makin's and milsurp to feed my range habit and ward off the zombies for quite awhile.

Be interesting to see what those SPP .45ACP brass is worth when nobody can find LP primers. ;)

Fishslayer
November 7, 2012, 02:59 PM
AIM Surplus, no x39 at all.

Plenty at SGAmmo & Widener's, but the crates of milsurp Yugo x39 on strippers is OOS.

silicosys4
November 7, 2012, 03:00 PM
^^ That wasn't my experience, when boxes of 20 5.56x45 went from $4.97 to $9.97 at Walmart in 2008, and have stayed there ever since

Analogkid
November 7, 2012, 03:07 PM
True story. Went into the local Wal-Mart around 11:00 am this morning to pick up the Crosman 760 they have on sale. They had 4 people running the counter Selling Ammo and Selling/Showing guns while i was in line to pay for the air rifle.

They called a 5th person up to try and speed up the process. When the Young lady that came up to help she also inquired what the Hoopla was about.. The Manager Said it was a Rush from from "The Election"

To which the young lady replied...."Oh did that Romney guy win?"

The Crosman works great..............

Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 03:07 PM
Nice of the mods to lump these into a single thread, kinda shovel all the poo into one pile. :neener:
Just checked Ammo2Go. No price increases on my faves, all still in stock. If panicky Petes will kindly limit their frenzy to 9mm, 223, and AR bits, the Texan Scott thinks he'll get on with life and be ok.

Today is a GREAT day to be a Texan!

Kyle M.
November 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
I was in my lgs at lunch time, the owner said the only thing he's sold all day was a savage axis .223 and a couple bricks of .22l.r.

Analogkid
November 7, 2012, 03:15 PM
I want to move to texas........

gopguy
November 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
Bricks of .22 have been gone from the area walmarts for weeks now...

kimbershot
November 7, 2012, 03:34 PM
just bought a couple more pounds of powder. have primers, lead and brass on hand and i chase my brass--so i won't ever be brass-less. also have about 10k 22lr's for my ruger mark 3's. i will replace supplies as i use them--a brick, a pound or 1k of primers.

not into ar's anymore but guys at lgs were buying multiple stripped receivers this morning.:eek:

SlowFuse
November 7, 2012, 03:50 PM
I just got back from an Academy Sports on my lunch break. Really just went there out of curiosity. I had flashbacks of 08 when I got to the ammunition isle. It was crowded. But, all of the prices seemed to be the same...

One guy had all of the Winchester 100 packs of 12g birdshot and random stacks of buck and slugs in his cart. Awesome...

Then I got down to rifle ammo and the x39 was almost gone. 380 pistol ammo was wiped out except a box or two of Hornady defense ammo. I almost expected that from the last panic buying incident. 22lr bulk packs were getting slim.

I was hoping there wouldn't be a situation like this. I learned my lesson after the last one. I had a hard time keeping my x39's fed and that little shortage taught me to think about doing 30-40 rd mag dumps! I walked out today with a 30 cal bore brush and some gunslick foam and a good feeling. I for once felt like I was ahead of the curve!

Warp
November 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
I ordered a case of Federal XM193.

$395 shipped.

Good Lord that is expensive. :(

I should have jumped all over the $336 for 1k of PMC Bronze shipped from SGAmmo before they ran out.

HoosierQ
November 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
I am just trying to find time enough to go shooting at my club. Grandchild growing like a weed, kid in law school, mother dying, work insane. Life.

So no, my stash of ammo and firearms are pretty good. I'll be waiting for the dust to settle and continue looking for my Savage 99 and the money to buy it.

USAF_Vet
November 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
My buying plans will not change. But sadly the prices will dictate what, when and how much I can buy. I just got my AR last month, and need a couple more mags and a lot more ammo to feel comfortable.
It just sucks because I am also running very low on .22lr and 9mm.

I'm fairly well enough stocked on 12 & 20 gauge shells, and still have a good amount of 54r.

At this rate though, I'll be skipping the purchase of accessories and focusing mostly in mags and ammo.

Bobson
November 7, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not getting excited. What changed? The same guy is still on capitol hill.
He isn't going to run again. That's a pretty big change.

If I was President of the United States, I guarantee my second term would be significantly different from my first. Whore cares what the people think anymore? As long as I don't break the law, I'm good. The popularity contest is over.

I'm not saying we're screwed. Maybe he'll try something and maybe he won't; but common sense says he has nothing to lose now. He did the first time around.

HoosierQ
November 7, 2012, 05:04 PM
There is also less motivation for all the other necessary parties to play ball. While the "lame duck" effect will take a little time to set in, there is a reason the term for that situation is less than flattering.

I think with no election to worry about, yes, one might throw caution to the wind and go out on a limb. One might also figure that one needs all the friends one can get and thus seek to cheese off as few people as possible in order to get those things done that one wants to get done. Since gun control has not shown itself to be one of those things...sorry folks it just has not...I think it at least reasonable to presume that the things that seem to matter to this administration most (the healthcare thing first and foremost) will be pre-eminent and thus cheesing off the gun control opponents (who sit in great numbers on both sides of the two aisles) would seem to be a very bad idea.

I could of course be proven wrong but I don't think I am being naive because I don't think anybody can actually prove that this general position that I have taken since 2008 is wrong. Maybe the key word there is "yet"...but "until"...

zeke707
November 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hmmm, maybe "confiscation" program/law down the road? Just because you have it doesn't mean you can keep it? ;)

Warp
November 7, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hmmm, maybe "confiscation" program/law down the road? Just because you have it doesn't mean you can keep it? ;)

Not a chance in hell.

kazaam
November 7, 2012, 05:32 PM
As I was walking in to Walmart I saw they were stocking ammo so I bought 2 boxes of 100 federal FMJ. Apparently they have had 10 boxes of it in two months up until now. Worked out to be about $0.214 a round.

Think I should buy more?

They had a 2 box per person per ammo limit or something...he said every 12 hours.

snakeman
November 7, 2012, 05:33 PM
It won't take long. Everything will go up in price and keep selling out anyway. Once it's gone up in price it will stay at that price and never come back down. I'm not talking just ammo. Everything firearms related will go up. The following months of panic within the firearms community will only die down after the "president" has done his worst.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 05:34 PM
As I was walking in to Walmart I saw they were stocking ammo so I bought 2 boxes of 100 federal FMJ. Apparently they have had 10 boxes of it in two months up until now. Worked out to be about $0.214 a round.

Think I should buy more?

They had a 2 box per person per ammo limit or something...he said every 12 hours.

uhh...what caliber?

kazaam
November 7, 2012, 05:49 PM
Oh, whoops. 9mm.

9mmforMe
November 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
Definitely don't feed the panic...just go about your usual shooting business. Too bad not everyone will read this thread:eek:

Ignition Override
November 7, 2012, 06:45 PM
We should know the general panic level within about three weeks (as rumous spiral), but will the people who panic also be able to do their regular Christmas shopping in a few weeks?

People who have not been 'broke' have had many months to buy whatever gun/ammo/components they needed and could afford.
If those people did not buy it, then did they really need it? If they waited this long, many of them will only help some scalpers profit.

HoosierQ: That's a good description of the big picture. When various taxes start going up, and as (previously pre-tax) health care deductibles shrink under the new health care laws, people will notice.
Those with health care plans will start paying taxes on those plans, as if the plans were regular income. People will see what the situation really is and what so many voted for.

Walkalong
November 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
I plan not to buy a single thing that goes up immediately after the election. Nada.

There will not be panic buying like the last time. There may be a small run, but it will pale in comparison to 2008. Relax, and do not buy anything you do not normally buy.

Fishslayer
November 7, 2012, 07:28 PM
I was in the local Turner's at noon today. Pretty much business as usual. Saw a beautiful 5" stainless SBH in .44 Magnum I really would like to have tho... :(

Swichblade
November 7, 2012, 07:41 PM
Nope, still looking for a S&W model 10 or 15.

ColeK
November 7, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hope!!!

We should KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!!!

But, I can say that becauase I have been ready for 20 years!!! :)

itchy1
November 7, 2012, 07:50 PM
I wanted to get a few steps ahead of the panickers so I have been slowly building up on ammo and guns. If prices spike, I will hold off making any further purchases and be grateful to have what I have.

robMaine
November 7, 2012, 08:05 PM
Nothing has changed for me. I am however, very disappointed in several retailers who are making posts on Facebook and other places in order to trigger a buying frenzy. I just saw one telling everyone to order tonight because tomorrow morning ammo prices are going up 40%. I would bet we don't see that increase but they really enjoyed the extra orders that stirred up.

robMaine
November 7, 2012, 08:13 PM
I just saw multiple posts on FB from various retailers fear-mongering people into buying. I won't be frequenting these companies anymore!! One even said that ammo prices would go up 40% tomorrow am, so to get your orders in tonight.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 08:14 PM
I just saw multiple posts on FB from various retailers fear-mongering people into buying. I won't be frequenting these companies anymore!! One even said that ammo prices would go up 40% tomorrow am, so to get your orders in tonight.

They might.

robMaine
November 7, 2012, 08:16 PM
They might.
Doubtful, they will only go up if people panic and retailers are trying to trigger that. Very unethical if you ask me.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 08:17 PM
Doubtful, they will only go up if people panic and retailers are trying to trigger that. Very unethical if you ask me.

People don't have to "panic" to buy ammunition sooner rather than later, you know.

Hacker15E
November 7, 2012, 08:20 PM
Whore cares what the people think anymore? As long as I don't break the law, I'm good. The popularity contest is over.

I'm not saying we're screwed. Maybe he'll try something and maybe he won't; but common sense says he has nothing to lose now. He did the first time around.

That's only true if this is the last election ever.

But, since it isn't, then his party won't let him screw every subsequent Democrat by committing political suicide.

It's a completely false argument. Obama can't run again, but another Democrat will. They remember 1996.

Hacker15E
November 7, 2012, 08:21 PM
The FIRST firearm item to go up in price due to the election was my Ruger common stock!!

Oh yeaaaaahh.

EBK
November 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
yup was planning on buying a 1911 this weekend however after last night I will be buying a XD .45 while I still can.

ApacheCoTodd
November 7, 2012, 08:44 PM
Not as much as my selling priorities have.

bogon48
November 7, 2012, 08:46 PM
I'm old and retired. Seen this before, and I won't do any panic buying; it only drives up prices. I reload and have been acquiring ammo when the price is right.

Gotta take the historical perspective. While I haven't been able to order a firearm through the mail since Kennedy was killed, I've been around long enough to see Clinton's assault weapons ban imposed and lifted in my state. Like others here, I doubt Obama will spend a lot of political capital on taking our guns. If those moves do start, join the NRA and call your Congressmen and Senators. There are a lot of us.

IMHO there were (and are) way too many people talking like the United States is going to crumble after this election. C'mon, we had a Civil War, two World Wars and a Depression that lasted from 1929 until 1941. Every generation has had challenges. Our history is full of financial panics, immigration problems and fear mongering. The U.S. is still the best place to be on this planet.

However, with the Mayan Apocalypse coming in a few weeks, guns won't help much when the Earth's gravitational field is reversed, and we are all thrown out into space!!!! Lots of people have been talking about this on t.v. Must be true.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 08:57 PM
yup was planning on buying a 1911 this weekend however after last night I will be buying a XD .45 while I still can.

What makes you think you won't be able to buy an XD .45?

ShooterGuy
November 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
What are the chances of prices possibly dropping a little since the elections over? Trying to decide if I want to wait a bit before expanding the collection or not and looking for some educated opinions. Thanks fellas

EBK
November 7, 2012, 09:04 PM
What makes you think you won't be able to buy an XD .45?
Ok let me rephrase.... Whle I can still find one with a standard 13 round mag. Not a reduced capacity 10 round mag.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
Ok let me rephrase.... Whle I can still find one with a standard 13 round mag. Not a reduced capacity 10 round mag.

You don't have anything to worry about there.

hso
November 7, 2012, 09:12 PM
The only buying priorities have been to grab all the firearms manufacturer stock I can afford.

EBK
November 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
You don't have anything to worry about there.
Forgive me if I dont take the word of a random person on the internet.

Ryanxia
November 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
I didn't think there would be any change but there has been. AR receivers instantly out of stock, a lot of midnight buying last night, AK's flying off the shelves. Glad I'm pretty set as is.

I also ordered 3 stripped AR lowers the day before and today they were out of stock for any more. In other words...

I'm good :cool:

Ryanxia
November 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
AR's, AK's, Saigas still climbing. Ammo still climbing slowly but steadily.

Wood furniture you're good. Especially as we get closer to Christmas. Folks are selling off some things to get presents.

primalmu
November 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
Prices will likely be bumped up as the idiots panic buy, but I figure after a few months we'll be back to normal. I wouldn't count on any prices being lower than they were pre-election.

ccsniper
November 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry if this exists, did a quick search and didn't find one. But in my local town there is very little if any panic buying. I went to the local Academy, Dicks, and a slew of local gun shops and all said ammo and gun sales were pretty typical. Anyone else?

Teachu2
November 7, 2012, 09:26 PM
Same here. Our panic buying was when Romney got nominated...

primalmu
November 7, 2012, 09:31 PM
The local Walmart was lower on some of the common calibers but still had lots of ammo on the shelves. The LGS I usually go to is closed on Wednesdays so I'll be interested in seeing how things are there tomorrow.

captain awesome
November 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Well I haven't been anywhere to see it, but a friend of mine said there was some going on, not sure where, or how much of it. Sportsman's warehouse seems to be encouraging it by not charging sales tax on merchandise for the next 5 days.

captain awesome
November 7, 2012, 09:35 PM
Prices will likely be bumped up as the idiots panic buy, but I figure after a few months we'll be back to normal. I wouldn't count on any prices being lower than they were pre-election.

That seems to be the way of it. wish I had bought a few AR's and AK's a few months back. Could probably make some decent profit.

pharmer
November 7, 2012, 09:37 PM
You folks that think the next four years with an angry Zero in charge, won't be different than the last four are delusional. Fasten belts and make ready, it will be a bumpy ride. Joe

PRM
November 7, 2012, 09:37 PM
Not like 2009 - .380s were non-existent and other calibers were in short supply. I remember several vendors having lines when their shipments were scheduled for delivery. Ammo that normally sold for $14.00 - $14.50 per box was going for over $30.00 per box of 50 and limited to two boxes per customer.

I don't plan on buying much at the moment - but, I have stockpiled quite a bit.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 09:38 PM
You folks that think the next four years with an angry Zero in charge, won't be different than the last four are delusional. Fasten belts and make ready, it will be a bumpy ride. Joe

Would you like to quantify what you mean and perhaps make a friendly wager (ammo, magazines, whatever) on the matter?

Warp
November 7, 2012, 09:39 PM
Not like 2009 - .380s were non-existent and other calibers were in short supply. I remember several vendors having lines when their shipments were scheduled for delivery. Ammo that normally sold for $14.00 - $14.50 per box was going for over $30.00 per box of 50 and limited to two boxes per customer.

I don't plan on buying much at the moment - but, I have stockpiled quite a bit.

IF it was going to be like 2009, I wouldn't expect it to have done so yet. I would expect "like 2009" to happen in 2013. ;)

PRM
November 7, 2012, 09:43 PM
Possibly - Obama didn't occupy the White House until 2009. He's already there now. Best I can remember, shortages lasted for months back then.

wankerjake
November 7, 2012, 09:45 PM
Wideners.com went on an 8-12 days shipping delay overnight. It's gonna happen. Maybe not as bad as last time, but it will happen to an extent.

orionengnr
November 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
I might "panic buy" about 1000 sleeping pills and end it all...:fire:
The stupidity of the American people has surpassed any and all projections.

Old Dog
November 7, 2012, 09:59 PM
I just knew I should have bought more S&W stock a few weeks ago ...

Stopped in two stores today, seemingly normal business. Because it was there, and because the wife said she wanted more ammo, I bought her cases of 5.56mm and 9mm ... then, because she wanted it, I picked her up a new pistol with laser ... Yesterday, I celebrated Election Day by buying myself a new pistol (another SIG, of course) and a few hundred more rounds of nine.

Things seem pretty normal here, although, uh, we apparently legalized a couple things some of us older folks are grappling with ...

What's changed? Same president. Dem Senate, GOP House. Only a few names have changed. I ain't gonna panic (until I get below 10K rounds each of nine, .45 and .223/5.56) ...

By the way, the sun did come up in Western Washington today! Rare, and a nice surprise for this time o'year in the Sound ...

Old Dog
November 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
None apparent up thisaways ...

briney11
November 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
My wife picked me up 3 boxes of .380 today. She said that the shelves were packed full.

Rail Driver
November 7, 2012, 10:04 PM
I haven't experienced ANY buying lately. Lost my job due to downsizing in December of '08, been struggling ever since. Recently even the part time work I've had has pretty much petered out, and I haven't worked in 3 weeks.

Wish I could afford to engage in a little panic buying! :)

Warp
November 7, 2012, 10:04 PM
What are the chances of prices possibly dropping a little since the elections over? Trying to decide if I want to wait a bit before expanding the collection or not and looking for some educated opinions. Thanks fellas

Prices dropping? Because Obama was elected?

Highly doubtful.

Nico Testosteros
November 7, 2012, 10:06 PM
Prices dropping? For any reason, doubtful. Demand wont go down for raw materials or the finished products.

OilyPablo
November 7, 2012, 10:09 PM
Some sellers reported record sales today. Already out of certain items. Price increases to follow.

Apachedriver
November 7, 2012, 10:09 PM
I might "panic buy" about 1000 sleeping pills and end it all...:fire:
The stupidity of the American people has surpassed any and all projections.
I'd rather you bought 1,000 Wake-The-Hell-Up pills to start handing out to the left-leaning Independents. Hell, maybe we can start a collection.

On Topic - I did notice several sites last night start with their "We're Now Swamped and Have Shipping Delays." within about 2 hours after the election results were announced.

mr.scott
November 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
Haven't noticed panic buying or price increases, but I did find out that the majority of American voters are clinically retarded.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 10:14 PM
Haven't noticed panic buying or price increases, but I did find out that the majority of American voters are clinically retarded.

Not the majority...more like 98%

jim243
November 7, 2012, 10:19 PM
Panic buying??, That was done in 2008-2009. Most have more than they need for a while. Wait till Hillary runs for president in 2016, then the panic buying will go through the roof (LOL).

Jim

Rail Driver
November 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
Not the majority...more like 98%
At least someone gets it.

TennJed
November 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
Some sellers reported record sales today. Already out of certain items. Price increases to follow.
Do you have any links to confirm this. No doubting you just I have seen nothing locally to indicate this

mf-dif
November 7, 2012, 10:26 PM
The local walmart had more stock than usual today. The only reasons I went in was because i have range trip this weekend and im out of 22 and 762x39. Bought a brick 22 and 120rds of 762. There was PLENTY of stock on AR ammo even the steel case cheap stuff that is always gone.

Why people where talking about civil war i have no idea. Was the last 4 yrs bad for me because of Obama? No. Locol weapon laws became looser, my salary increased 50% and I have more health care coverage than ever.

YOU have more power over your well being than anyone else. This is still 'Merica not mid 1900 China and Russia.

OilyPablo
November 7, 2012, 10:29 PM
Locally only. No links or actual statistics. Three resellers in WA state are saying this.

One FFL Dealer just posted, when asked about price increases: Tomorrow. Distributor stocks are.already.depleated (did not alter spelling error)

Only time will tell, but we are always on the short end of the stick when it comes to new handguns.

MachIVshooter
November 7, 2012, 10:35 PM
What are the chances of prices possibly dropping a little since the elections over?

Whatever is less than none.

They might come down a little after they go up dramatically.

The better question is at what rate they will increase. Unfortunately, the answer is in the wind.

captain awesome
November 7, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hmmm, maybe "confiscation" program/law down the road? Just because you have it doesn't mean you can keep it?

Not in this lifetime. They can count on that.

hogshead
November 7, 2012, 10:40 PM
47% anyways.

Shadow 7D
November 7, 2012, 10:41 PM
Um, you haven't got the hit yet
wait till the senate goes into session
lame duck or the new "mandate" senate

who propose gun control then the NRA takes off with their fundraising
THEN you see the bump

MachIVshooter
November 7, 2012, 10:47 PM
IMHO there were (and are) way too many people talking like the United States is going to crumble after this election. C'mon, we had a Civil War, two World Wars and a Depression that lasted from 1929 until 1941. Every generation has had challenges. Our history is full of financial panics, immigration problems and fear mongering. The U.S. is still the best place to be on this planet.

There's a fundamental difference in the people who exist today. A distinct lack of morals, work ethic, individual responsibility and patriotism will be our demise, not the man in the white house. His getting a second term just shows that people would rather vote themselves money out of other people's pockets than secure a prosperous future for this nation, because the latter requires them to make some effort and have a modicum of accountability.

I'm 30 years old, and I thought my generation was the worst. I have been proven wrong.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 10:55 PM
There's a fundamental difference in the people who exist today. A distinct lack of morals, work ethic, individual responsibility and patriotism will be our demise, not the man in the white house. His getting a second term just shows that people would rather vote themselves money out of other people's pockets than secure a prosperous future for this nation, because the latter requires them to make some effort and have a modicum of accountability.

I'm 30 years old, and I thought my generation was the worst. I have been proven wrong.

I think all generations believe this of later gens

raa-7
November 7, 2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah I dont think prices will ever go down ,they just seem to do the opposite.I do have luck once in a while at w-mart believe it or not.I have bought 3 rifles there over the years and you can't beat those prices.I think they sell rifles/shotguns so you'll buy the ammo there.Factory ammo is alot cheaper if you can get it there instead of the local gs or ordering with S&H fees.But you all saw what happened to prices the past 4-5 years.:uhoh: I'm hoping for the best though.Have to at least try to be optimistic :p

Sergei Mosin
November 7, 2012, 10:58 PM
He wasn't talking about the younger kids. He was talking about the boomers.

RBid
November 7, 2012, 11:02 PM
We're selling a few more tactical rifles, and more ammunition. That's about it.

1 old 0311-1
November 7, 2012, 11:03 PM
Don't know about "PANIC" but I have been in 'high gear' for 8-10 months.

JohnBiltz
November 7, 2012, 11:07 PM
Posted at SGAmmo today.

NOTICE CUSTOMERS - EXPECT SHORT SHIPPING DELAYS DUE TO A SPIKE IN VOLUME - WE WILL BE WORKING EXTRA TO KEEP DELAYS MINIMAL

They are pretty much out of 5.56 now. A couple of days ago they had a lot.

Warp
November 7, 2012, 11:09 PM
Posted at SGAmmo today.

They are pretty much out of 5.56 now. A couple of days ago they had a lot.

I watched their page last night. They had PMC Bronze .223 for $320 + $16 shipping (for most areas), for a total cost of $336/1k (my case arrives Friday). People should have known about this as it went out in the email several days ago.

After midnight they had 90+ listed in stock. At 4 am it was down to 7. I'm sure those final 7 didn't last long.

helitack32f1
November 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
I just knew I should have bought more S&W stock a few weeks ago ...

Stopped in two stores today, seemingly normal business. Because it was there, and because the wife said she wanted more ammo, I bought her cases of 5.56mm and 9mm ... then, because she wanted it, I picked her up a new pistol with laser ... Yesterday, I celebrated Election Day by buying myself a new pistol (another SIG, of course) and a few hundred more rounds of nine.

Things seem pretty normal here, although, uh, we apparently legalized a couple things some of us older folks are grappling with ...

What's changed? Same president. Dem Senate, GOP House. Only a few names have changed. I ain't gonna panic (until I get below 10K rounds each of nine, .45 and .223/5.56) ...

By the way, the sun did come up in Western Washington today! Rare, and a nice surprise for this time o'year in the Sound ...
What has changed is the President is now free from having to worry about re-election. He has stated he wants to ban so called assault weapons and does not believe that people should own guns, especially concealed guns.

What has also changed is Obamacare will now be enacted to it's full extent. This means that if they decide it is a health risk for you to own and use guns and is against the interests of everyone else for you to own a firearm, they can simply say you have to pay more for health insurance to the point of making it no longer financially viable for you to own a gun. Very easy way to get around the second amendment.

Also don't forget their interest in "continuing talks" about signing the UN small arms treaty.

This is a President who saw nothing wrong with funneling thousands of guns to Mexico, resulting in the deaths of hundreds.

This is also a President who sat back and watched as 4 Americans were killed, and denied them support.

He will also appoint 2 or 3 SCOTUS judges and they will be socialist anti gun twits like the last two.

Lots of things to look forward to.

USAF_Vet
November 7, 2012, 11:22 PM
Considering states have ignored Federal Law in regard to marijuana possession and usage (possession and intoxication is now a civil infraction in at least two major Michigan cities) what are the odds that, if CCW is banned on the Federal level, Shall-Issue states will ignore that law as well and continue to honor current permits (assuming they don't continue to issue new ones)?

Warp
November 7, 2012, 11:23 PM
The legislature wants to be re-elected.

The House is Republican.

Gun control, nationally, is political suicide.

siglite
November 7, 2012, 11:30 PM
LGS that has the local rep of the place to go for black rifles and defensive pistols reported business as "steady.". Not busy, not slow. Seems OK,e a normal Wednesday.

bowserb
November 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have been stocking up with ammo for ten months. Also bought an AR in Feb, so I guess I got an early start on my panic buying. Now I'm just contemplating a new handgun...something that shoots .357 Sig. Maybe a Glock 32.

I have noticed, as have most of us, that the price of ammo over the last year has been steadily up. WWB .45acp FMJ 230gr at Walmart as recently as January this year was $32 for the 100-rd box. Then it was $37. Now it's $40. By by calc, that is a 25% increase in ten months. So...I guess we should have been panic buying in January!

helitack32f1
November 8, 2012, 12:11 AM
The legislature wants to be re-elected.

The House is Republican.

Gun control, nationally, is political suicide.
While I would like to believe this and hope you are right, I just don't think it matters. The Republicans are week and gullible and can be convinced of anything, like it is in their best interest for re-election to vote for "sensible gun regulations" like an AWB. Especially if there are a couple more convenient mass shootings for the libs to exploit for their gain.

chris in va
November 8, 2012, 12:12 AM
Someone bought $1,200 worth of x39 ammo at my LGS today.

Twiki357
November 8, 2012, 12:22 AM
I can't say about ammo since I reload 99% of mine. As for guns, it seems that in my area the prices have been going down little by little for the last couple of years. Now that the election is over, I'll see if there's a noticeable impact at the gun show this coming weekend.

Swing
November 8, 2012, 12:24 AM
No panic buying here. Local fun store and hardware story are business as usual.

helitack32f1
November 8, 2012, 12:27 AM
Am I the only one contemplating using "panic buying" as a viable excuse for convincing the wife we must buy lots more ammo?

Neverwinter
November 8, 2012, 12:28 AM
The Republicans are week and gullible and can be convinced of anything, like it is in their best interest for re-election to vote for "sensible gun regulations" like an AWB.
That seems like a bold accusation, but that might explain why we got a "sensible gun regulator" like Romney for this voting cycle because they think it was in their best interest for election.

breakingcontact
November 8, 2012, 12:33 AM
I'm confused, did a bunch of threads get consolidated here?

Warp
November 8, 2012, 12:34 AM
While I would like to believe this and hope you are right, I just don't think it matters. The Republicans are week and gullible and can be convinced of anything, like it is in their best interest for re-election to vote for "sensible gun regulations" like an AWB. Especially if there are a couple more convenient mass shootings for the libs to exploit for their gain.

Dude...not even a full Democratic slate of the House, the Senate, and the President went near an AWB, or gun control, 4 years ago.

And you think that with Republicans in a majority at one of those it will be more anti gun?

No way.

PhotonSD
November 8, 2012, 12:40 AM
As far as panic buying, nope. Watchful waiting, yes. Will Obama be a different man now that the election results show our Nation to be divided and the problems of the world did not go away with his reelection? Watch for some change and hope it will be constructive. Pray for the best, plan for the worst and keep your eyes open. Good Luck.

bannockburn
November 8, 2012, 01:13 AM
Nothing going on at any of the area gun stores; matter of fact seemed like any other typically slow weekday. I picked up some Federal bulk pack .22s because I thought they were a decent price. Store shelves were fully stocked with plenty of ammo.

Warp
November 8, 2012, 01:16 AM
What is the least expensive currently available brass case .223 or 5.56 ammo? For one case (1k rounds)?

I'm been keeping an eye on several very good internet sources that are usually the best thing going, and the prices aren't pretty (for what's in stock)

helitack32f1
November 8, 2012, 02:03 AM
Dude...not even a full Democratic slate of the House, the Senate, and the President went near an AWB, or gun control, 4 years ago.

And you think that with Republicans in a majority at one of those it will be more anti gun?

No way.
Obama, Oct 2012

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

He wasn't afraid to say this during a debate and this statement seems to also suggest something needs to be done about handguns.

Once again, he is free from the need to be re-elected. He has nothing to lose. He is also not constrained by the constitution. He will do what he wants. He has already done something like 900 executive orders, in a lot of cases bypassing congress. Why not one more?

Here is a fun article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

Warp
November 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
Obama, Oct 2012

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

He wasn't afraid to say this during a debate and this statement seems to also suggest something needs to be done about handguns.

Once again, he is free from the need to be re-elected. He has nothing to lose. He is also not constrained by the constitution. He will do what he wants. He has already done something like 900 executive orders, in a lot of cases bypassing congress. Why not one more?

Here is a fun article.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

I disagree that he "has nothing to lose".

Citation for 900 executive orders? I'm pretty sure you are very incorrect.

oldbear
November 8, 2012, 02:54 AM
I haven't checked around but I see no reason for panic buying of anything right now. I really believe that if the current Administration had wanted to attempt some sort of firearm control they would have done it during their first term either by limiting weapon or ammunition sales. So far nothing has happened and I don’t believe anything will happen. Even if it does I'm set with over 2,0000 rounds of ammo.

Inebriated
November 8, 2012, 03:02 AM
Nothing here. I actually went out to the local places to check lol.

leadcounsel
November 8, 2012, 03:02 AM
People who wanted have already bought and have had 4 years to accumulate.

Also, production runs occurred back then but supplies are probably prepared.

Ignition Override
November 8, 2012, 03:29 AM
Having just now checked "Ammo-seek", the lowest 7.62x39 prices are pretty much what they were several days ago.
If there is no clear heightened anxiety within the next week or two, then it might not happen until future rumors swirl about an impending Obama ammo tax, or such.

Remember last (early) spring when a few distributors told their buddies that fuel costs would require ammo prices to jump about 25% or more in May?
It Did Not happen.
The sellers tried to induce a panic, and there were many questions about the impending price jumps on gun websites.
You can expect some attempts to induce consumer panic at the next gun shows, in shops etc.

Anxiety always sells to people much easier than confidence (i.e. late '08-early '09).

helitack32f1
November 8, 2012, 03:31 AM
I disagree that he "has nothing to lose".

Citation for 900 executive orders? I'm pretty sure you are very incorrect.
Sorry, fell prey to internet lie apparently. He has "only" signed 139 executive orders as of September. Still makes my point though.

Impureclient
November 8, 2012, 03:51 AM
Just bought some more .22 ammo a while ago at Walmart and they were fully stocked.

thelaststand
November 8, 2012, 03:52 AM
In the 60s false flag assassinations were used to build up support for gun control which resulted in the gun control act of 1968. The recent false flag mass shootings are designed to build support for gun control sometime later this decade. The only problem is that guns have become more popular and acceptable during this time period and the media does not have control of everything we read or hear now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Post-election buying panic mega thread of power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!