Thoughts/ opinions on the Savage 300?

PDA

Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 12:58 AM
Planning on adding a mag-fed (not tube) 22lr to the stable. Been feeling its lack, a definite empty spot on the must-have list for a long while. Was going to default to a 10/22 (nostalgia) but am wondering about the merits of a cheap simple boltie (never had one). Anybody have experience with a savage stevens 300? Are they reliable? Reasonably accurate (sub inch at 25 yds would do fine) ? Worth the (admittedly small) price tag?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts/ opinions on the Savage 300?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Texan Scott
November 7, 2012, 07:27 AM
To broaden the question a little, does anyone have a favorite mag-fed, bolt action 22lr in current production? What's its pricepoint, and what makes it good/ worth it?

Wil Terry
November 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
THOUGHT THIS was to be about the 300SAVAGE cartridge.

9mmepiphany
November 7, 2012, 06:33 PM
I have three (well, two are still in production).

My Anschutz M1712 Silhouette, with a roll-over cheekpiece and trigger adjustable for reach has a great barrel and is what I think the finest .22lr available without going the custom production route (Cooper). I think they are in the $1.5k range before adding a scope and rings.

My more casual bot action is the CZ 452 American which is a nice mid-price rifle...I paid <$300 for it from CDNN.

My best buy is a Romanian M-69 which has folding Express sights and is accurate beyond all reason for the $70 I gave for it. You'll usually find them among surplus rifles

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts/ opinions on the Savage 300?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!