Browning Zerust

PDA

Ehtereon11B
November 7, 2012, 08:16 AM
Have been doing some research on corrosion protection in safes. Ran across something called Browning Zerust and the description "Small capsule emits an invisible vapor that forms a corrosion and rust resistant barrier on metal surfaces. Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors (VCIs) have been used for years to protect metal parts in industrial and commercial applications. One capsule protects a standard 30" wide safe for one year."

Anyone ever use this stuff in their safes? Likes/Dislikes

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Zerust" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
November 7, 2012, 09:30 AM
I haven't used the Browning product, but I have used Zerust products.

www.zerust.com

I have also used VCI products from Midway, Brownell's, etc. in safes, as well as in tool and tackle boxes. VCI is proven technology, but I haven't stopped wiping down my guns and tools. I am also a big believer in GoldenRods.

No, I don't wear a belt and suspenders at the same time. :)

John

edited to add: VCI is made to be used in a sealed container and gun safes aren't airtight, so it isn't my first line of defense.

hso
November 8, 2012, 12:51 AM
Yes

Like it

Zerust and other VCI manufacturers do a good job. I've used Bullfrog in smaller spaces and have a large Zerust in use as well.

Ehtereon11B
November 8, 2012, 05:12 AM
Good to hear it works and not just some smokescreen advertising. As much as I would love to install a Goldenrod or some other type of active moisture control in my safe, it doesn't have a outlet or hole for a cord. So I am stuck with stuff that can act alone inside the safe. Probably break down and drill a hole eventually since I have almost 3 pounds of silica gel in there.

Skylerbone
November 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
I've been using and recommending Zerust for years for ammo boxes, tool boxes and gun safes. It need not be an airtight container or necessarily ordered, I buy it at Lowes locally in the tool dept.

Snapped a pic a while back knowing it would come in handy someday.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174535&stc=1&d=1352607286

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Zerust" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!