Stubborn Taurus 65 sideplate. Need help!

PDA

LivewireBlanco
November 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have taken the grips off, taken the screws out, and beat the thing within an inch of it's life with a rubber mallet and the damn thing won't come off. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stubborn Taurus 65 sideplate. Need help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remllez
November 7, 2012, 02:39 PM
Use a wood block or a hammer handle or a plastic head mallet.....it needs something hard to vibrate it a bit.

Driftwood Johnson
November 7, 2012, 06:43 PM
Howdy

If it's anything like a S&W, and it sure looks like one, the proper way to remove the sideplate is to remove the grips, then strike the grip frame with a hard object. You don't want to use anything soft. The handle of a hammer works well. Hold the gun in one hand, with the side plate up. Keep your thumb loosely over the sideplate. Strike the grip frame smartly with the hammer handle. Just a couple of smart smacks should loosen the side plate. What you are actually doing is driving the entire gun down, but inertia keeps the unfastened side plate in place. By varying how hard you strike the gun, you can cause the side plate to rise up a little or a lot. Keep your thumb over it so when it comes loose you have control of it. A nice hard hickory hammer handle works very well for this.

DO NOT attempt to pry up the side plate. That will damage the joint. Just smack the grip frame smartly a few times with a hammer handle.

Drail
November 8, 2012, 09:43 AM
A rubber mallet is not going to deliver enough force to the frame. It will just bounce off. All of the years that I worked on S&W revolvers the best tool I found to "pop" a sideplate loose was an old replacement hickory hammer handle (with no hammer head attached) that I bought just to "whack" revolver frames with. It's still in a drawer with other gunsmithing tools and it has never failed to pop a sideplate and has never left a mark on a frame. In the words of Clint Eastwood - "nothing like a good piece of hickory".

Remllez
November 12, 2012, 08:36 AM
LiveWireBlanco,

Did you ever get your side plate off??

LivewireBlanco
November 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yes, I finally did. I had to find the sweet spot instead of using the rubber mallet I used my carpeted floor. I also had to angle it just right to it'd fall the right way. It felt soooo wrong just beating my gun like that but it worked. :barf:

Remllez
November 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
Great to hear LivewireBlanco,
Yes it doesn't feel good banging on your gun but that's the only way I've ever heard to get them off. While the plates off it never hurts to give them a good cleaning and lube job. Way to go thinking outside the box...Whatever works...:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Stubborn Taurus 65 sideplate. Need help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!