CZ 452 vs Cooper 57M 22lr

PDA

Sako Shooter
November 7, 2012, 03:00 PM
Workmanship aside, is there enough accuracy difference between the two to justify the price difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 452 vs Cooper 57M 22lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
primalmu
November 7, 2012, 04:19 PM
Even if there is any difference, you'd have to be a DAMN good shot to tell. I'm going to say no. Considering most accuracy comes from the shooter, not the rifle, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference. For that matter, you could probably say the same for Savage .22s as well.

R H Clark
November 7, 2012, 07:44 PM
If you can still get a 452 it is the best bang for the buck in a classy accurate 22.The Savage is accurate as well but always felt cheap to me.

I would get a 54 action Anschutz if I was out for ultimate accuracy.The Cooper will be close to accuracy but look a little better.

You might find a good 64 action Annie which is about on par with the Cooper.I gave $600for mine.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae96/RHClark/optilockskids130.jpg

It shoots well also.Here is an exceptional 50 yard 5 shot group I shot with Wolf MT.
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae96/RHClark/optilockskids.jpg

GooseGestapo
November 7, 2012, 10:07 PM
Not enough to be worth the difference in price.
I so enjoy my CZ452 so much that I've developed a practice of taking an early Nov. day off from deer hunting to spend a morning thinning out the gray squirrels. This time of the year on a damp morning, they feed actively and the sound of the gun is absorbed by the damp leaves and they don't get so nervous and hide so long....
I got 9 monday morning. Last time I did it, got 10 (limit that year... now it's twelve... had to leave the woods before I got the last three.) The rifle is just scary accurate in the woods on the squirrels... out to as far as I'm confortable shooting them, it's just point and click, whomp! as the squirrels hit the ground...

My CZ shoots easily as good as a deceased friends Cooper did (single shot heavy sporter from the late '90's).
With Fiocchi "Orange box" match (V320?) or Federal Gold Medal match (the old "dimple head") It will shoot 1-hole 5-shot groups at 50yds. Usually .350" or less. With the bulk Winchester "555" (bulk power-point hollow-points) it shoots at or under 1/2" at 50yds... A totally acceptable hunting load.
Mine wears a Leupold Compact 3x-9x in Millet rings.... Of the two dozen .22's I've owned, none but one have held a candle to the "little CZ". Only thing I've done to it is tune the trigger to about 2.5lbs.... And shoot it!!!
I've got a T/C Contender w/21" "Match" .22lr barrel. I will approach the CZ for accuracy, but won't top it. I've gotten 1" groups withs the T/C at 100yds on a calm day with the Winchester's.. I'ts favorite load...

Mine is the CZ452 -"American" with light-taper barrel. Bought it in '06 for ~$350.00
One of the few "no-regrets" gun buys I've ever had.....I bought it after admiring the Cooper "Jackson Squirrel Rifle" in the ads.....

And wouldn't you know it... Saw 5 deer. None of the 4 does came w/in 75yds. Had a 6pt buck w/in 50'. Had the sights of the S&W 329PD lined up on his head while counting the points. Not enough to meet our 4pts on a side minimum.... had to let him walk....! Next day, had the BLR .358.... didn't see a deer!!!
But had the 3 missing squirrels from the previous day w/in pistol range...... Oh Well! Its "Hunting", not "shooting"...

DM~
November 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
Well, at least with the Savage, Cooper and Anschutz, you won't have to put up with CZ's azzbackwards safety!

For me, it was worth the difference in price to buy the Anschutz, to get a "proper" safety and a bit better accuracy.

DM

22-rimfire
November 7, 2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think it is worth the price difference for the likely added accuracy of the 57M. But, it depends on your ability to buy such a rifle and whether or not the slight edge in likely accuracy is worth it to you. You still have to find out what 22 ammo will shoot best. I woudn't be shooting many Remington Thunderbolts in a Cooper.

You can often get a very accurate rifle with the Savage Mark II. Anshutz is always a good choice and I'd probably go there before Cooper.

greyling22
November 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm new to the 452 game, but I've found that it will keep most standard velocity rounds, even the bulk stuff, around 1 inch at 50. It puts wolf MT in a ragged hole at 50 and I put 5 rounds in 1 inch at 100 last weekend. I just don't see how any 22 can be much more accurate than that. It's got a good trigger out of the box and a phenominal one with the yodave kit ($20) I bet mine is in the oz area with no creep. I'm real tempted to strip the stock and see what kind of wood is hiding under the cz mud finish.

The action slicks up well by smearing flitz all over the bolt, raceway, and rear lugs and working the action a couple hundred times. I'm sure the cooper is nicer, but at 5 times the price, is it worth it? (you could say the same thing about the savage vs cz, but after handling both, and the ruger 77/22, I decided that the cz was worth twice the savage. If just was better made and feeling. I bet the savage shoots just as well though)

can't say I have any issue with the cz safety. makes logical/functional sense to me, but then it's a target rifle, I don't need to ever quickly flip off the safety for a tactical anti coke can scenario.

stubbicatt
November 8, 2012, 08:42 AM
can't say I have any issue with the cz safety. makes logical/functional sense to me, but then it's a target rifle, I don't need to ever quickly flip off the safety for a tactical anti coke can scenario.

Yes. But it isn't the Coke cans you have to worry about. It's those communist Pepsi cans...

All kidding aside, I don't know the Cooper so I cannot comment on it. From the little I know, it is a custom rifle built to a high standard in fit and finish. It may or may not be as accurate as the little CZ, but probably it is the exclusivity or the aesthetics of such a piece that has you looking at it... equally valid points of consideration as accuracy.

My 452 FS is my favorite rifle. It is classic in appearance, and as accurate as i can shoot it. I would not hesitate to buy another.

R H Clark
November 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm with greyling22 on the CZ safety.It is a very functional well thought design.I like to be able to see how my firing pin is witheld.At least it's not just blocking trigger pull.

Yes,it is backwards to a model 70 but you don't need tactical muscle memory in the use of either rifle.

22-rimfire
November 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm willing to put up with the CZ safety for an overall great rifle. Can't say I particularly like them.

One thing about CZ is that you have to mount your scope higher than you are probably used to with a 22. For me, it reduces the speed that I can get on target since I shoot a number of 22 rifles. For target, squirrels, or slow shots, works fine; for fast shots, I would go with another rifle choice. Just my opinion and I know there are a lot of CZ lovers out there. Got one too and probably will buy at least one more.

CraigC
November 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
The difference is that the Cooper is GUARANTEED to be accurate. The CZ is not, though they tend to be very accurate. Even though it seems to be what folks are obsessed with, accuracy is not the only thing you're paying for. Anybody can screw a good barrel on an action. You're getting a lot more than that with a Cooper.

22-rimfire
November 8, 2012, 10:57 AM
Accuracy guarantee can be important. The Remington 547 also has an accuracy guarantee just in case the guarantee is really important to you. The Weatherby Mark XXII (bolt) is another one that many have had good luck with.

I'd love to own a Cooper 57M. Probably not going to happen. I appreciate a nice stock which is one of the reasons I purchased the Savage Mark II American (walnut stock version) which cost a bit more than the other models that were available.

MrBorland
November 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
I love my CZ452s and admit to having had lust in my heart for a Cooper .22LR as the next step "up". I appreciate the workmanship, reputation for accuracy and it's Made In The USA heritage, and I'd shoot it a lot, so it'd be worth the extra money to me.

The thing is, though, I still haven't bought one: As my shooting evolves, it seems I've begun to see "stepping up" as getting something more purpose-built (e.g., a bona fide target repeater), rather than a deluxe version of the general purpose sporter I already have.

45crittergitter
December 1, 2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know what the price difference is, but as I recall I paid about $800 for a Cooper in .17 HMR. It's probably hard to beat.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 452 vs Cooper 57M 22lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!