Full copper bullets

PDA

jeff-portnoy
November 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hi guys!
Can I use a full copper bullets? (7.62x25, .380 acp, 9mm Luger)
What are nuances?

If you enjoyed reading about "Full copper bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue68f100
November 7, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yes, but they are very $$$

gamestalker
November 7, 2012, 03:20 PM
Absolutely. When loading with solid copper projectiles keep in mind that they will occupy more of the case, thus pressures will be some what higher with a same load used for jacketed bullets in handgun cartridges. So as with any new component it is always a priority to re-work your loads.

GS

jeff-portnoy
November 7, 2012, 05:49 PM
What about bullet inside diameter?
(for lead bullets - barrel caliber or caliber + no more 3%)
but how for the copper bullets?

barstoolguru
November 7, 2012, 05:53 PM
Full copper will not give you the same ballistics as copper/lead or solid lead bullets because of the weight change

tightgroup tiger
November 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
I have a stupid question

Are you talking about full metal jackets or solid copper bullets? Just to be clear about your question.

jeff-portnoy
November 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
I have a stupid question

Are you talking about full metal jackets or solid copper bullets? Just to be clear about your question.
yes, I'm talking about solid copper bullets

tightgroup tiger
November 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Because copper is lighter than lead the bullets have to be longer to make weight. Like Gamestalker said they will have to be seated deeper.

I stay away from them because of two reasons, the price and the extra length usually messes with the riflings in the barrel, degrading the accuracy of your gun, sometimes the solid coppers, and Homogeneous solids (which are also lighter than lead) will be a lighter weight so the length will still in range of what the riflings can stabilize.

I use to shoot the solid coppers but they seamed to copper foul my barrels faster than standard bullets and I never saw any big improvement in anything to justify the extra cost.

jeff-portnoy
November 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
but if make light weight bullet?!
I'm intrst. 7.62x25 THV

rfwobbly
November 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Because copper is lighter than lead the bullets have to be longer to make weight. Like Gamestalker said they will have to be seated deeper.

For most general reloading (copper clad lead bullets) you can use any reloading manual and get 'close enough'. However, when you make the jump to all-copper bullets (such as Barnes) then the loads and useful powders change so drastically that I would highly suggest that you also buy the Barnes reloading manual. Conversely, you must not use all-copper bullet load data on lead core bullets.

It would probably be safer to think of all-copper bullets as a completely different universe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Full copper bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!