New to gssf

PDA

Jhamblen86
November 8, 2012, 12:24 AM
Hey everyone, I've finally decided to get a glock as my SD pistol but would like to get into gssf. I will be getting a glock 21. I have very little knowledge of gssf but heard its a blast. My questions are, is the 21 sutable for gssf or is the caliber too large? Also, do you need to be an experienced shooter with more than a few years under your belt?

If you enjoyed reading about "New to gssf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45_auto
November 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
The 45ACP and 10mm have their own class called "Heavy Metal" in the GSSF, so it's not too big, it's just what you need to shoot that class.

You don't need to be an experienced shooter, just come out and have fun. The courses of fire are simple and the range officers will explain everything to you. It's a step down from IDPA, IPSC, etc. You're not moving around or doing reloads on the clock. Heavy Metal tends to be one of the classes with the fewest shooters, typically 15 or 20 entries at most matches. 1st place is a new Glock, 2nd is usually a Glock shovel. Losing a gun and winning a shovel by a few tenths of second is aggravating.

The matches are on Saturday and Sunday, you can come out whenever you want and shoot the stages. Saturdays are usually pretty crowded and you'll be waiting in lines to shoot, Sunday mornings you can usually go straight through with no lines. It takes them about a month to post the results on the GSSF website after the matches.

All of the GSSF rules, courses of fire, etc, are here:

http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/2012_The_GLOCK_Report.pdf

Sam1911
November 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
I've worked as an SO at GSSF events. It is certainly safe to say you don't need to be experienced in competition to go shoot and have a good time -- maybe even to win!

Remember safety first, last, and always -- and listen carefully to what the Safety Officers tell you. Even repeat it back to them if you have to, to make sure you understand the course of fire and their safety requirements.

Have a great time, and good luck!

Jhamblen86
November 8, 2012, 07:35 PM
Can you only compete in your state of residence ?

45_auto
November 8, 2012, 08:48 PM
You can compete any where. I usually go to the ones in the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama/Florida area. One of the major cities around here within a couple of hours drive will usually have one every 3 or 4 months.

Jhamblen86
November 9, 2012, 05:26 AM
Good to hear, can you use reloads or does all ammo have to be factory?

glockgod
November 9, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've been using reloads at GSSF matches for years. The catch is-if you have an ammo related malfunction with factory ammo you can ask the SO for a reshoot. If you have an ammo related malfunction with reloaded ammo you can ask the SO for a reshoot also. BUT! It's up to the individual SO as to whether you get a reshoot.
GSSF has been very good to me over the years. I've seen alot of the eastern US and won some nice prizes. Was recently promoted(?!) to Master in GSSF so now it's come on random prizes!
Don't let your skill level stop you from competing either. At a GSSF match you'll see all skill levels. Everything from Master shooters to people who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a damn boat!!
If I were you I'd enter AM-Civilian with your 21. It'll be just fine.

45_auto
November 9, 2012, 05:54 PM
The only thing my Glocks have ever seen is reloads. They don't have any idea that factory ammo even exists.

Teachu2
November 9, 2012, 06:01 PM
The only thing my Glocks have ever seen is reloads. They don't have any idea that factory ammo even exists.
They got fed factory stuff at the factory. They feel loved 'cuz you handload for them...

Jhamblen86
November 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
Very cool, thanks everyone for the good info.

45_auto
November 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
They got fed factory stuff at the factory.

Good point, I didn't think about that!

Luckily they were too young to understand what it was, kind of like feeding caviar to a one year old child.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to gssf" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!