Homemade ball and powder?

PDA

jerkyman45
November 8, 2012, 04:38 PM
I recently have come into possession of .54 caliber cap and ball pistol. I don't really have much intention of doing this myself as I have minimal experience, but has anyone made their own black powder and lead projectiles? Please be specific as to what you made, how you did it, how well it worked, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Homemade ball and powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pulp
November 8, 2012, 05:06 PM
Look for the threads by brushhippie. He has a couple of videos on making gunpowder. Then there a couple of really LONG threads back three or four years ago.
I've made several batches and had decent results. First load I shot over a chronograph was 1000+fps. That was with a brass framed .44. I don't load that heavy anymore.
Anyway, just be careful while making BP. Follow all the safety rules for reloading and you should be just fine.

arcticap
November 8, 2012, 11:30 PM
Here's the long thread about making black powder from the sticky located at the top of the Black Powder forum page:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=347898

The 1st post in this thread has the link to brushippie's video showing how to make black powder:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=672851&highlight=video

Information about casting can be found by clicking on the word "search" located on the very top bar of each page, then click on the words "advanced search" to access the advanced search page. Then type in a keyword such as "casting conical bullets", "casting lead" "molten lead" or "casting balls", then specify the black powder forum by clicking on it in the box labeled "Search in Forum[s]", then click the "Search Now" button and many previous threads will show up in the results.
I tried these keywords and the results produced many relevant threads that can be identified by skimming over the titles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Homemade ball and powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!