Help me pick a pistol for my girlfriend!!! Opinion time!

PDA

BearAZ737
November 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
So I have a little dilemma. I am torn between two pistols, I plan on letting my girlfriend carry it.

A S&W 6906 and a FN BDA 380..

Let me hear what you guys think of the two pistols and if you have one your experiences.

Ease of carry, weight, ammo availability, value, accessories, etc

Not really interested in the 9 vs 380 debate because she will have 12-13 rounds with each pistol anyway :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a pistol for my girlfriend!!! Opinion time!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
o Unforgiven o
November 8, 2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmulG3zKfiU&feature=g-u-u

Skribs
November 8, 2012, 06:08 PM
The big question: has she held and fired both of these yet? Has she given you any input?

creeper1956
November 8, 2012, 06:10 PM
A S&W 6906 and a FN BDA 380.
If that's the choice, and she doesn't get to choose her own gun... then which ever gun she's most comfortable and proficent with.

Seriously... you do know that your post reads like your GF has no choice in the matter, don't you? :uhoh:

psyopspec
November 8, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm confused. It's going to be her pistol, but you're the one that's torn? Maybe take a look at www.corneredcat.com and have her do some browsing there too.

Apachedriver
November 8, 2012, 06:14 PM
^^^^^What he said x10.^^^^^

Coop45
November 8, 2012, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to decide on the gun and find a girlfriend that fit the gun?

Skribs
November 8, 2012, 06:17 PM
Isn't there a sticky on this forum about how to let her pick?

Shadow 7D
November 8, 2012, 06:23 PM
WAY WAY WAY wrong way to approach this
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=564531

Your job is to hold her purse and hand over the cash....
and keep the counter monkey from bull****ting her into an inapropriate gun

general rule
larger the caliber the heavier the recoil
the smaller the gun the more the recoil (physically, a mouse gun or '2 finger" pocket gun is something that takes shooting to be good with)
the lighter the gun the more the recoil...

Consider an airweight .357 vs. a Hi Point C9
and you will see my point.

And firstly, and lastly
is your Girlfriend willing and ABLE to take a life?
this is a decision that must be arrived at BEFORE you get into trouble

Certaindeaf
November 8, 2012, 06:50 PM
How will she "carry it"? Purse? Gun belt? Stroller? Maybe let her carry both for however long and let her decide which she prefers.
They are both good guns, it's all about how to use them and mindset.

dprice3844444
November 8, 2012, 07:02 PM
if your looking at a 380,ppk stainless,

Apachedriver
November 8, 2012, 07:05 PM
Generally, it's been my experience that when someone is torn between which one to give away, it's because they really want to keep both for themselves.

In this case, this just allows her to look at various points of consideration and to pick for her own situation.

Plan2Live
November 8, 2012, 08:43 PM
She can also check out Faliaphotography on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk Tiny little woman showing various carry methods. Good stuff for the ladies.

I agree with others, this shouldn't be your choice, it's hers.

orionengnr
November 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
+1 on the cornered cat website.

LeonCarr
November 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
LET HER PICK

Another vote for www.corneredcat.com

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Nushif
November 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
So I have a little dilemma. I am torn between two pistols, I plan on letting my girlfriend carry it.

If I wrote on a public forum what I will "let my wife do" I'd be on the couch.

But to answer your question:
If SHE is to carry it and SHE is to use it, care for it and train with it, shouldn't SHE make the choice?

scaatylobo
November 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
Any gun she shoots VERY well and will actually carry.

Up to you to set her up with options [ any and all handguns included ].

Lots of range and PRACTICAL combat training,then she is GTG.

oneounceload
November 8, 2012, 09:35 PM
I believe the message is clear, but just in case it isn't to the OP:

SHE NEEDS TO PICK OUT HER GUN AFTER THE BOTH OF YOU READ WWW.THECORNEREDCAT.COM

otherwise there will never be peace in your house

tarosean
November 9, 2012, 07:28 AM
If I wrote on a public forum what I will "let my wife do" I'd be on the couch.

Your one step up from me.. I wouldn't be allowed in the house... LOL

OP
Read the sticky http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=564531
and the other suggestions.

Sav .250
November 9, 2012, 09:16 AM
You better get with her. She`s the one going to handle it. Go to a Gun store,Bass Pro ,where ever and let her feel the weapons. " I like it" has a lot to do with the end results.

beatledog7
November 9, 2012, 10:04 AM
The right answer is already here, but I'll add my voice.

If she's gonna carry it, she gets to choose it. You have three roles: 1) guide her early research if she's uninitiated, 2) step back while she deepens her research and makes a choice, and 3) pay.

Handing a woman a gun that she knows you really bought for yourself (and believe me, she'll know) and letting her carry it virtually guarantees that she won't carry it. Sounds like maybe that's what the OP has in mind.

Certaindeaf
November 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
Get an M9.. it seems all the gals in the military choose that one.

Godsgunman
November 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
As most have already said, she's the one that needs to pick it and be comfortable with it since she'll be the one shooting. If the 2 that you stated are 2 that she is also deciding from, then let her shoot them and decide. I personally would do the S&W 6906 but thats what fits me. I have the 6904 which is the same gun but not stainless and its great 'for me'. Its all about the fit for her. If she doesn't like either of those choices then take her to the gun store and let her pick one out.

Carne Frio
November 9, 2012, 05:50 PM
It would do you BOTH good to go to Kathy's
site, the cornered cat, as advised in post #5.

Teachu2
November 9, 2012, 06:01 PM
And if you can get her trigger time (your guns, borrowed or rented guns) before you buy, you are MUCH better off. My wife held a Ruger LC9 and really wanted one, so I got one. THREE shots later, she was done. I grabbed every 9mm rental at the range, and she shot 'em all - and is very happy with her new S&W M&P 9c. Holding one and shooting it are two very different things.

searcher451
November 9, 2012, 08:25 PM
The last thing you want to do is pick a pistol for your girlfriend. Take her to a range that rents pistols. Invite some of your friends along, and have them bring their pistols with them. Bring plenty of ammo. Turn her loose and let let her make the choice for herself.

ArchAngelCD
November 10, 2012, 02:23 AM
I can't even comment in this thread, I would get in trouble!

weregunner
November 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
She and you might want to go through these together.
www.womenandguns.com
Cornered Cat (http://corneredcat.com)
Babes with Bullets*|*Babes with Bullets firearms camps (http://www.babeswithbullets.com)
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/62379-my-new-idea-give-me-your-2-cents.html
NRA Women's Programs (http://www.nrahq.org/women/)
Women In Shooting (http://www.womenssportslink.com/Shooting.shtml)
Programs (http://www.nra.org/programs.aspx)

Second Amendment Sisters - Self-Defense is a Basic Human Right (http://www.2asisters.org/)

Pay attention to the 2nd and 4th link guys.

JohnKSa
November 10, 2012, 03:04 AM
The opinion that matters the most is your girlfriend's.

You should be open to the possibility that she won't like either one. My wife prefers blued guns while I prefer stainless. She likes single-action designs while I tend to buy DA/SA designs nearly exclusively for myself.

I do my best to provide input so she won't choose something that I know is poor quality or a really bad fit for her, but ultimately it's her decision.

mf-dif
November 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Get her a DEagle. She'll love it.

whanson_wi
November 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
If you pick one out for her, pick one without sharp edges so it doesn't hurt as much when she shoves it into one of your orifices. Don't try picking out shoes or purses for her, either. Just provide the cash, moral support... and input only when asked for it. Please. Cornered Cat.

TAKtical
November 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Neither? Is that an option?

PabloJ
November 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
Peppergard 10% would have been far better choice.

Ehtereon11B
November 11, 2012, 05:14 AM
Wife and I went through 2 pistols before we came across something she liked. Which were commonly recommended for women or new shooters. BG 380 and Kel-tec P3AT. Settled on NAA mini and a Taurus .327 Federal. Can never predict what someone's favorite firearm is going to be until the go to the range.

allaroundhunter
November 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
We won't choose for you, and you shouldn't choose for her.

If she is carrying it, she gets to choose it. Support her choice, get her into an NRA women's pistol class, and let her enjoy.

(And don't forget to pay for her).

BSA1
November 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
I recently posted a similiar question about helping choosing a handgun for my wife. I took some heat because my wife has some physical disabilities which rules out semi-auto handgun. Unfortunately there are a lot of members who do not understand dealing with disabilities and that the semi-automatic is not the only choice for self-defense.

Another poster called me liar and could not believe that my wife did not cringe in fear, the word he used was "terrified", when she succcessfully fought off a mugger.

I finally asked for the thread to be closed after the name calling started. While there is some merit to letting your partner choose a handgun to her liking it does not mean standing back with your mouth shut while a gun clerk talks her into buying something that you know will not be a choice she will be happy with.

allaroundhunter
November 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
While there is some merit to letting your partner choose a handgun to her liking it does not mean standing back with your mouth shut while a gun clerk talks her into buying something that you know will not be a choice she will be happy with.

Which is why you take her to a range and let her rent a few things to see what she will like. I personally would not even choose a gun for my best friend unless I had shot with him a lot and knew his preferences in firearms. I would give him the same advice that I give those looking to buy a gun for a significant other. Go to a range, let them try things out to see what they can and can't handle, and what they do and don't like, and then let them go pick their own gun.

Don't stand idly by while a gun clerk tries to tell them something else if they already have their mind made up, or try to tell them something stupid, but take a step back and let your wife/gf choose something that they like.

YumaKid
November 11, 2012, 08:58 PM

Wow..... just.... wow. You two been together long? :rolleyes:

I'll agree with everything already posted; AND I'LL ADD that you should let her fire all kinds of pistols and revolvers. Maybe you can help her out with the reality of KD charts, what works and what doesn't; but SHE will know what she can and more importantly WILL carry. When I first started dating this girl (daughter of a rock-solid "Brady laws are too lax" Liberal), I took her out and we devestated 20-30 paper targets with a couple of .22LR carbines.

NO this is NOT where I'm going, just read on.

About halfway through I realized that I was firing my Dad's old Single-shot Savage continuously, because she had snagged a box of rounds and was reloading and firing my Marlin continuously. Oh she shot both; she just preferred the Marlin!

10 years later and now my wife and while at the range with me; she grabbed ahold of a SA-WEEET S&W Model 15 revolver that I bought for a song at a Murphy's Gunshow.
"I like this .357; how about you go find yourself another one?" :what:

4" barrel, square butt wrapped up in a WOOD Monogrip, which I put on it so I had something to wrap my long fingers around. She can hold it just fine; she now buys purses with extra-long inside pockets; takes out the zipper and installs velcro for a faster presentation. Another side pocket holds a couple of old Comp III speedloaders. And she's gooooooooood.

Three pieces of advice:
1.) "CorneredCat.com" - It didn't exist back during these experiences with my wife of now 30 years. Kathy says she never met a "Mama Bear"; I sleep with the mother of my three children every night.
2.) Let your GF do her own research (you can help her out, just don't say "You want/need THIS) and find what
A) Works in an SD situation
B) Works FOR HER in an SD situation.
And 3.) Be prepared to be bested now-and-then when you're on the range with her.

And one more...
4.) I see you're in AZ. If you ever happen to be in either of the "back parking lots" of the hospital in Yuma late night/early morning, and you see a blonde walking out in nurse's scrubs and carrying a big purse; assume a non-chalant, almost submissive stance and POLITELY say "Good Evening". Else you may experience the result of a woman that doesn't like to be "called out" for work in the middle of the night; but DOES LIKE having picked out her own SD weapon.

Just Sayin'

BSA1
November 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
The range rental is a great idea IF there is one in your city and IF they have a good selection of rental guns. This is where having a couple of well-armed gun buddies can also help a lot with shooting a variety of handguns.

One problem ladies have the men usually don't is women's clothing styles make concealed carry more difficult. Close fitting ladies clothes that show off their figure, which most men appreciate, don't lend themselves well to packing heat.

But the common suggestion just to turn your wife over to someone behind the gun counter who is probably only being paid minimium wage or little above, has unknown real world gun experience and like some members on this forum that don't understand disabilities is just foolish.

allaroundhunter
November 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
1) One problem ladies have the men usually don't is women's clothing styles make concealed carry more difficult. Close fitting ladies clothes that show off their figure, which most men appreciate, don't lend themselves well to packing heat.

2) But the common suggestion just to turn your wife over to someone behind the gun counter who is probably only being paid minimum wage or little above, has unknown real world gun experience and like some members on this forum that don't understand disabilities is just foolish.

1) Agreed ;)
2) Agreed even more

Rail Driver
November 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
But the common suggestion just to turn your wife over to someone behind the gun counter who is probably only being paid minimium wage or little above, has unknown real world gun experience and like some members on this forum that don't understand disabilities is just foolish.

Nobody here has EVER suggested that to you.

Shadow 7D
November 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
and that aforementioned thread by BSA was pretty decent ( much like this one) till he got very prickly and said some things.

he has a chip his shoulder
but the sound advice is to let her find what worked
I would suggest that BEFORE you go to the effort you make sure that she is willing and able to carry, and doesn't have some idea like "I'll just pull and wave it around and scare them off..."

Old Dog
November 13, 2012, 02:46 AM
Well, now that we've totally overwhelmed the OP with the vociferous opinions that IT MUST BE HER CHOICE NOT HIS ...

... I agree with y'all ...

(I choose ONE gun for my wife ... once ... two months later, when I was allowed back in my own bedroom ... I gave her a thousand bucks and sent her to gun school ... She has since relieved me of a SIG P-228, a S&W M&P-9C, a S&W Airweight and a few other guns I used to have ... she sometimes lets me shoot them, though.)

BLB68
November 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
Start Here: http://www.corneredcat.com/article/choosing-firearms/trying-on-a-handgun/

Then read the rest of the site, and all of the other links provided. But fit is important. Very important for a new shooter, IMO.

BSA1
November 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
he has a chip his shoulder

It's just a little chip. :rolleyes:

oneounceload
November 13, 2012, 04:21 PM

Nope - no one said that where I can see. However, getting her a training class after reading Kathy's Cornered Cat and having a decent "pro" add his advice to what she reads IS a good move

tuj
November 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
Everyone has given good suggestions, go to a range that rents guns and try a BUNCH. Also, if she's not familiar with shooting, please start her with a .22 to get her confidence up before moving up. And try to stay away from the compacts at least at first until she starts to get used to recoil.

Gun feel is very personal and women especially can sometimes be sensitive to how a gun feels or recoils. They also tend to have smaller hands so that can be an issue as well. Just let her decide and don't pressure her on anything in particular.

JustinJ
November 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
I got my GF a single stack Russian Makarov. It delivers a better round than a .380 but still has extremely manageable recoil while remaining compact enough for her to carry comfortably. Its also an extremely reliable gun and there are decent SD loads out there. I don't care for the reload mechanism but in reality fast mag changes are not a concern for my GF.

A compact .38 is another good option especially for people who will not invest a whole lot of time to practicing.

larryh1108
November 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Seems like the OP doesn't have the nads to return. He took quite a beating, which he deserved.

Old Dog
November 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
Heh, I was just wondering if he'd been back to reap what he had sown ...

On a somewhat topical line, my youngest daughter (she's a small lass), to whom I'd been force-feeding semi-autos for years, has demonstrated an affinity for, and ability to shoot well, DA revolvers. Strangely (to me), her pistol of choice is a Ruger LC9 with its egregiously long trigger pull ... Lesson for the day: never TELL a female what gun she wants, or what gun YOU think would suit her best ...

ArchAngelCD
November 15, 2012, 03:29 AM
A full week and 50 posts later the the OP is nowhere to be found? :confused:

Shadow 7D
November 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe he tried to pick his girlfriends gun and is out after having it removed?

Hit_Factor
November 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Let her pick what she likes. Even if its a 22. Some gun is better than no gun. If she doesn't like what you (we) pick she won't use it.

Give her the budgeted amount and tell her how to find the gun shop. Whiles she is shopping go to the range.

elrowe
November 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Here's how it works at my house...

She decides the 20th anniv gift is a matched pair of EMPs (for the slow kids, she picked hers AND mine). I buy them. She decdides she likes pink VZ grips. I buy them. Pink grips arrive. I install them.

Simple, yet effective arrangement.

larryh1108
November 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
What if she picked a matched pair of Hi Points and you had to carry it or you'd hurt her feelings and she is very sensitive?

elrowe
November 15, 2012, 07:36 PM
What if she picked a matched pair of Hi Points and you had to carry it or you'd hurt her feelings and she is very sensitive?
Nah, she's on the Cornered Cat bandwagon and knows better.

larryh1108
November 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Well, she has good taste in handguns! Seems like a keeper. The EMPs too.

ArchAngelCD
November 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Let her pick what she likes. Even if its a 22. Some gun is better than no gun. If she doesn't like what you (we) pick she won't use it.

Give her the budgeted amount and tell her how to find the gun shop. Whiles she is shopping go to the range.
There ya go!
Although you might not want to leave her alone at the store. The guys in most gun shops treat women poorly, talk down to them and try to sell them something they really don't want. (and for too much money) We should be there to make sure they don't make a mistake because they are lied to. Other than that they should carry what they want to carry! How would you like someone telling you what you should carry? I know I wouldn't like it.

Robert
November 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
OP if you return let me know and we can maybe take another look at this. Till then, we are done here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick a pistol for my girlfriend!!! Opinion time!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!