which bullet self defense 223

PDA

LUCKYDAWG13
November 8, 2012, 09:00 PM
which bullet would you load for self defense for a 223 ?
1 in 9 twist say out to 200 yards

If you enjoyed reading about "which bullet self defense 223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jim243
November 8, 2012, 09:25 PM
I use the 62 grain steel core, pulled bullets I bought in bulk from RMR.

Jim

ArchAngelCD
November 9, 2012, 12:23 AM
With 30 round magazines do you really think there's a bad bullet for the AR? Besides, with a .223 all the damage is done when the bullet enters the body and starts to tumble. The tumbling does a lot of damage while bullet expansion and deep penetration does the damage on game with a more traditional hunting caliber bullet.

blarby
November 9, 2012, 12:29 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513709/hornady-gilding-metal-expanding-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-70-grain-gmx-lead-free-box-of-50

Hondo 60
November 9, 2012, 01:22 AM
I bought some "Varmint Nightmare" from Mid-South.
55 gr JHP

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000042255HP

LUCKYDAWG13
November 9, 2012, 07:30 AM
thank you all for your help

joustin
November 9, 2012, 08:50 AM
I am loading 55 gr Sierra HPBT Game Kings. They are built well and should open up easily on a bad guy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MtnCreek
November 9, 2012, 09:50 AM
Probably not the best choices, but I load mostly Hornady 55gr FMJ's. Cheap enough where I can afford to get plenty of trigger time and keep plenty on hand. If some situation were to occur where I needed lots of ammo, that would be the most prominent type in my stash. They make a 55gr SP that’s available in bulk; I may try some in the future.

I keep a carbine for home defense; it's loaded with 55gr Nosler BT's. Not at all scientific, but I’ve seen what that does to a large coyote and feel comfortable it would stop an attacker.

SlowFuse
November 9, 2012, 09:59 AM
I'm using the same logic as MtnCreek above. Out of the array of projectile types I've used in 223 and seeing what they do to coyote I would choose the 60 grain Nos. Partition.

My close second choice would be the 55 grain Nos BT's. I've heard good things about the 75 grain TAP if you're looking for something heavier but have no experience with it.

Hondo 60
November 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
What bullet weight depends on your AR.
You said yours was a 1:9, so is mine.

A 1:9, would do well with 50 -70 gr bullets.
Mine loves 55 & 62 grainers.

Still Shooting
November 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
If through-the-walls penetration is not an issue (and it's not for me) I second the idea of Nosler 60gr. Partitions. I recently read a study where the author stated that the round will do maximum tissue damage and penetration, and doesn't rely on tumbling (which is unreliable below 2,700fps) to do the damage. He had some pretty interesting gel block photos to illustrate the different choices.

I loaded 100rds. of the Nosler 60gr. Partitions last week, and they are now my defense round.

WVRJ
November 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
I go along with the Partition guys.I personally like the 60 gr ballistic tip for general use in my AR.The crimp groove is perfect for the oal the mags will hold,and they shoot great.I've used them on whitetails very satisfactorily too.

horsemen61
November 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
I like the pdx from Winchester

walking arsenal
November 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
Maybe this will help?

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-oracle/AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror.htm#history

Anything in the 50-60 grain weights will work. Soft points are good. Stay away from varmint loads.

LUCKYDAWG13
November 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Walking Arsenal
thank you for that good read

walking arsenal
November 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
You're welcome!

longdayjake
November 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
These are excellent for self defense as they are frangible and won't go through too many walls.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=62&categoryId=7

ArchAngelCD
November 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Can someone please explain to me why people are talking about Nosler Partition bullets and hunting when the OP clearly asked about self defense bullets in the AR?

Since we are supposed to be talking about stopping people I stand by what I said in Post #3. Go with what the military uses because they also want to stop people. The damage is done but the bullet tumbling after it hits the target, not expansion.

plodder
November 11, 2012, 11:00 PM
Self defense at 200 yds????? Will that be while the bad guys are running away or while you are running away?:)

Shmackey
November 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Gamekings or Winchester Powerpoints. The FMJ stuff is fine, and the open-tip match stuff even better, but a jacketed soft point is better still.

So says I, anyway.

pikid89
November 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Go with what the military uses because they also want to stop people. The damage is done but the bullet tumbling after it hits the target, not expansion.

Im not so sure thats a good indication...the military is limited by the hague convention and cannot use expanding bullets...given the choice i guarantee they would prefer SPs over fmj against soft targets

Mike 27
November 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
+1 pikid89....I have been in 17 years and counting, we are limited to ball ammo. There are many better projectiles out there that work better and are much more accurate.

ArchAngelCD
November 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
Im not so sure thats a good indication...the military is limited by the hague convention and cannot use expanding bullets...given the choice i guarantee they would prefer SPs over fmj against soft targets
I'm only talking about the .223, not ammo in general. The .223 bullet will tumble when it enters the body and it does A LOT of damage when doing so.

MtnCreek
November 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Yes, given enough velocity. Some of the shorter carbines would probably do much better with some type of expanding bullets rather than fmj’s. Not all fmj’s are created equal; jacket thickness and cannelure depth could have a big effect on fragmentation velocity.

BoilerUP
November 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'd think 55gr Vmax would be a good stopper with minimal overpenetration...

10 Spot Terminator
November 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Seeing as to how you stated it was for self defense then you need to think what if only one bullet finds its target as the target may be firing back at you. Bearing this in mind I would opt for a very explosive varmit bullet such as the Sierra 55 gr. Blitzking. It is an inherently very accurate bullet down range and highly volatile. Even if you didn't hit what are deemed to be the vital organs the sheer amount of tissue damage from one of these creates a whole new concept of just what constitutes a terminal or disabling strike. This bullet will fly like a dart in a 1 in 9 twist barrel behind a nice stout dose of H335, BLC-2, Varget, or AA2230 just to mention a few .

Shmackey
November 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
How is bullet selection for this scenario different from bullet selection for hunting a man-sized deer?

(I'm not saying it's different or it's not. Just something to think about.)

You don't hunt a deer with FMJ or varmint bullets.

BoilerUP
November 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Overpenetration isn't a potential liability when shooting whitetail.

JEB
November 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
Overpenetration isn't a potential liability when shooting whitetail.

Not to mention that in a self defense scenario we are not trying to KILL anyone, we afe trying to STOP them.

walking arsenal
November 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
Overpenetration isn't much of an issue with .223/5.56 in general.

Those advocating varmint bullets are creeping into under penetration territory.

ForneyRider
November 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
75gr Hornady BTHP, like the TAP.

Eyesac
November 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'd think 55gr Vmax would be a good stopper with minimal overpenetration...

This is what I have mags full of for HD.

diananike
November 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
65gr sierra gameking holds together well
itsmy choice for 1in9'' twists

LUCKYDAWG13
November 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
thanks to you all im going to load up some of the 65gr G/K and see how
they shoot

GLOOB
November 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
How is bullet selection for this scenario different from bullet selection for hunting a man-sized deer?
You aren't going to pass up on a shot when you can't center your cross hairs on a broadside heart/lung shot.

You're not going to potentially shoot through a heavy shoulder bone, unless you're shooting someone in the back in self defense.

You're probably not going to get a Texas heart shot on a guy in self defense, either. And if so, you probably have time for more than one shot.

You're not worried about meat damage.

You have to consider over-penetration.

Regarding the military, I think they would probably still use FMJ 5.56 for general issue, even without the Hague convention. People who are being shot at often find cover. Barrier and light vehicle penetration is key.

Direwolf
November 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
You're probably not going to get a Texas heart shot on a guy in self defense, either. And if so, you probably have time for more than one shot.

Now that's quite the mental picture, there! :D

Walkalong
November 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
How is bullet selection for this scenario different from bullet selection for hunting a man-sized deer?Deer are a great deal tougher. You get a decent torso hit with any .223 bullet on a person and they will lose almost all interest, assuming no armor of course.

Shot placement is a great deal more important. And if you are in a self defense scenario, previous training is even more important.

If you enjoyed reading about "which bullet self defense 223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!