carrying a gun inside a waistband

PDA

mainecoon
November 9, 2012, 08:14 PM
I was at a restaurant a while ago in a foreign country and a guy came in with a handgun tucked into his waistband in the small of his back. Was this guy just an idiot, or is this a legitimate way to carry a gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "carrying a gun inside a waistband" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
holdencm9
November 9, 2012, 08:17 PM
They do it a lot in the movies.

Therefore, not a smart way to carry.

It might work briefly if you didn't have a holster but would not be very secure. Might get jostled out or maybe even fall down into the pants!

Of course, better to have it in the back than the front w/o a holster.

RTR_RTR
November 9, 2012, 08:18 PM
Guns are heavy and poorly balanced (esp. polymer frames). Waistbands are weak support. Trigger is unprotected. Yeaaaaaaaaah. Small of back has it's own issues even with proper holstered carry anyway

Ragnar Danneskjold
November 9, 2012, 08:19 PM
Any method of carry that does not isolate the trigger from outside contact and does not retain positive control of the weapon is a bad way to carry. Period.

MaterDei
November 9, 2012, 08:19 PM
Well we know it wasn't Mexico because it would have been in front. :)

ClickClickD'oh
November 9, 2012, 08:20 PM
Mexican carry is pretty popular with people who don't know better, think they are cool, or haven't shot themselves yet. Stay well away from anyone that Mexican carries... They don't always shoot themselves...

Fishslayer
November 10, 2012, 02:54 AM
Was he wearing a Hawaiian shirt & driving a Ferrari? :cool:

Twiki357
November 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
Are you sure that you weren't watching NCIS Los Angeles? :evil:

USAF_Vet
November 10, 2012, 03:20 AM
Was he possibly a player in the NFL?

Kcinnick
November 10, 2012, 03:40 AM
Not sure if serious.

Saakee
November 10, 2012, 04:19 AM
it's possible he may have had a slide clip (http://www.clipdraw.com/combat-handguns) installed on his gun but for the most part, carrying like this makes for an easily lost down your pants/hard to draw sidearm.

Dnaltrop
November 10, 2012, 04:30 AM
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2011994648_accident31m.html

"It made a loud noise and scared a lot of people in the store," Sessions said. "I believe he shot himself in the testicles and he also had some injuries to his leg and foot. He was obviously in shock."

You can be stupider than the small of the back, but why? ;)

Buddy has carried his in the front of his pants for years, but he uses a holster to do it. Without, it's just asking for trouble.

mnrivrat
November 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
My friend carries his 1911 on the small of his back. He has a grip clip on the gun to hold it. Not my style, but he seems to get by with it at least for the 5 years I have known him.

Ehtereon11B
November 11, 2012, 04:46 AM
Living up to the stereotype often called "Mexican Carry." Looks stupid in the movies when its done with flashpaper firearms, and even worse with loaded, real firearms. With the variety of holsters available today there is no reason to carry without a holster.

Odd Job
November 11, 2012, 06:17 AM
Carrying IWB without a holster is a bad idea. I've X-rayed several people who now know better...

Sam1911
November 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
I was at a restaurant a while ago in a foreign country and ...

Not every place in the world has anything even close to the firearms "culture" we have here, with the access to products and information that we enjoy. Sticking a gun in your waistband (or a belt or sash) has been a common way to carry a handgun since the invention of the firearm.

Doesn't mean the guy was an idiot, he just probably does what he was shown to do by others in his area or culture.

Walk into any city in any part of the world where guns are common and you'll find all sorts of folks carrying all sorts of handguns. But you're not likely to see them perusing Milt Sparks' latest catalog.

The US is different, and "our" way IS better. But that's not to denigrate folks from other cultures who make due with what they have.

wgsigs
November 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
Small of back has it's own issues even with proper holstered carry anyway
Excuse my ignorance since I am new to CCW, but please educate me on what they are.

barstoolguru
November 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
Good way to dislocate your back if you fall and great way to get your gun taken away if someone comes up behind you

BLB68
November 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
Dislocate or just plain be paralyzed.

Sam1911
November 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
Excuse my ignorance since I am new to CCW, but please educate me on what they are.Also, as you bend and move, your cover garment can ride up and get hung on the gun, exposing it in such a way that you're the only one who doesn't know you're flashing.

It is about the worst position for general concealment. Your back tends to be where your clothes drape most snugly, especially as you move which draws the cover garment tightly against the gun -- "printing" badly and without the benefit of your arms hanging in front to obstruct the view.

Swing
November 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
Out of curiosity, what country?

icanthitabarn
November 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
Excellent question

Ehtereon11B
November 13, 2012, 02:00 AM
Carrying directly on the spine in small of back carry is usually rather uncomfortable, shirt rides up, and if you fall down and land on your weapon...well say hi to a wheelchair. Sometimes I find it more comfortable to carry just above my kidney. If you fall it may bruise your kidney and might pee blood for a few days if bad enough. But you will still be able to walk.

ArchAngelCD
November 14, 2012, 01:35 AM
Another good reason not to carry in the small of the back, you have to reach back behind yourself to get your gun placing your arm in a position where the bad guy can gain control of your arm rendering your arm useless, and it's painful too. (I think it's called a hammer lock)

barstoolguru
November 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
lots of range officers and other shooters don't like the idea of being sweep when the gun is pulled

2wheels
November 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Not a legitimate way to carry in the US as far as I'm concerned.

Occasionally you'll come across someone who wants to defend the merits of "mexican carry"... But at the end of the day it offers zero true benefits and several disadvantages compared to finding a good holster.

Just ask Plaxico Burress!

wgsigs
November 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses to my slight hijack. I had heard the point about potential injury before and wondered if it was a real concern. It is good to know about the other deficiencies of small of the back carry.

RKRCPA
November 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
There's always the Hip Grip.

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/index.html

KenW.
November 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
But, that's how Jim Rockford carried his snubby.

Up front in the waistband works with single action revolvers. Just leave the loading gate open so it doesn't slide down your pants. I
ve keard somewhare. Maybe a Loius Lamour book.

vito
November 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Someone carrying illegally will probably not want to use a holster. Ditching the gun doesn't really help much when you are trying to explain to the cops why you are wearing an empty holster. My guess though is that the cool factor is what makes some folks carry a gun in their waistband like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Sam1911
November 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
My guess though is that the cool factor is what makes some folks carry a gun in their waistband like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.Again, though, this was in a foreign country (we don't know which) so they may or may not know or care how cool John Travolta is. (Though that was the role of a lifetime, for sure!)

I'm still going to suggest that this was probably a combination of tradition and a lack of easily available better options in that region informing the guy's choice to holster-less carry.

thecarfarmer
November 21, 2012, 03:05 AM
...With the variety of holsters available today there is no reason to carry without a holster.

For The Win

If you enjoyed reading about "carrying a gun inside a waistband" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!