Slide not going into battery (video). What have you found?

PDA

intercooler
November 10, 2012, 02:16 AM
If you have ever had the problem of a slide not returning to battery fully how did you fix it? Was it a grip thing or a gun thing?

I commented on this video :cuss: I just don't think her grip is the problem with the .45 not going back into battery. IMO it doesn't take the Vulcan dual hand death grip to make a pistol function. The short stroke thing... don't get that either. It's not a term I'm familiar with... I call that failing to return to battery. Anway take a look and give your thoughts. I just think if things are right you don't need a perfect grip and can even do it weak one handed.

http://youtu.be/iPiAHtLBF-E

If you enjoyed reading about "Slide not going into battery (video). What have you found?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Johnny Lightning
November 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
I had a similar issue w/ my 1911. The extractor being too tight ended up being the problem.

allaroundhunter
November 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
A weak grip will typically cause stovepipes, but not so much a short stroke. I would guess that the gun needs a good cleaning and some maintenance.

However, seeing as all that she changed between the two videos was her grip, I would say that it also played a role in the problem.

When I have had problems with this sort of thing it was due to a weak recoil spring.

9mmepiphany
November 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
The short stroke thing... don't get that either. It's not a term I'm familiar with... I call that failing to return to battery.
Short Stroking is different than Failure to Return to Battery...Most folks call it Failure to Extract....she's using the wrong term

Just a quick glance at the video, it looks like she is over gripping with her strong hand and under gripping with her support hand...that's why it is jumping out of her hand during muzzle flip.

Another point of concern is the placement of her strong thumb...it doesn't look like it is riding the thumb safety

allaroundhunter
November 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
deleted... I'm dumb :o

9mmepiphany
November 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
I would also suspect the extractor is not allowing the case to rise properly...or it could be the magazine not releasing the cartridge at the correct point in the feeding cycle

ku4hx
November 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
This past Thursday my wife had that exact problem with that exact model gun. She had the problem with 200 grain bullets; did not have it with 230 grain bullets. Since these are my loads and both have been clocked many times over the years, there was no ammunition problem.

What I did was switch back and forth between 200 and 230 without her knowing which was which. Invariably, she had the problem with 200 grain bullets and didn't have it with 230. After six bullets weight swaps she went exclusively to 230 grain and for the next 100+ rounds had no problem.

Without regard to what the gun physicists may say, switching to 230 bullets fixed her problem so we're going with that for now. I seldom argue with success and we'll work on lighter weight bullets later with regard to grip and all that.

Drail
November 10, 2012, 07:30 PM
Limp wristing is not the cause of the problem. If the gun is setup properly it should be able to be fired with just a finger and a thumb. All of mine will. A gun might feed 230 gr. bullets fine but choke on a 200 gr. bullet. The problem is still with the gun or magazine or ammo, not the grip.

Bovice
November 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
Failure to fully go into battery happened with my P220 I bought used. It needed a new recoil spring. If you're having trouble getting the slide to close on it's own, I would first look at the recoil spring. If you have a brand new recoil spring and are having trouble, then look and see what's up with your extractor. If your recoil spring has an unknown round count, start with that.

GLOOB
November 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
+1 on extractor being too tight/sharp. And/or a weak recoil spring. If the round makes it that far into the chamber and just stops there, you can't blame it on the grip (even if it only happens with a weak grip). You should be able to ride the slide to that point, let go, and watch the slide go all the way into battery.

Afterall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU
"Damn thing hasn't been cleaned in ten years."

Without regard to what the gun physicists may say, switching to 230 bullets fixed her problem so we're going with that for now. I seldom argue with success and we'll work on lighter weight bullets later with regard to grip and all that.
Again, it's not the grip. Even if it only happens to her, and not you. Changing to longer ammo can make this go away, just because the angle the round feeds at can be lessened. Shorter OAL/ogive means more angle. This lifts the rim farther away from the breechface during feeding, putting more pressure between case rim and extractor. But the true fix is more break in to polish the extractor and wear in the extractor spring, some judicious sanding on the bottom edge of the extractor, and/or increasing recoil spring poundage. Also check the breechface for burrs and/or an especially sharp edge on top of the firing pin hole. Working on her grip isn't the solution, because if it happens while she's shooting two-handed, it can and will happen to you when you're shooting one-handed. And you can work on your grip all you want, but you still want the gun to function, regardless.

intercooler
November 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
That's the way I looked at it too!

If you enjoyed reading about "Slide not going into battery (video). What have you found?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!