$700 Glocks and XDs??? Let the post election price gouging begin!

PDA

StrikeFire83
November 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
So I was over at Gander Mountain to buy some ammo this morning on "Saturday Morning Doorbuster" and I looked in the gun cases...good LORD. Glocks and XDs for $699.99. They also had a bare bones AUTO ORDINANCE 1911 for $699.99!!! :what: I mean Gander's prices on handguns have always been way to high....but this is just gouging. People who use this place for anything more than showrooming are throwing their money in the garbage.

The deal I got on the ammo is middling...works out to about $12 per 50 round box...but I bought a thousand rounds of the stuff because I know the hillbillies are going to be out in force buying up everything in sight due to the election results.

If you enjoyed reading about "$700 Glocks and XDs??? Let the post election price gouging begin!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sanforb
November 10, 2012, 03:30 PM
I thought that was their normal prices. :D

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

StrikeFire83
November 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
^ Are their normal prices really THAT high? I haven't been in there for more than a year so. When big box retailers do stuff like this it makes me feel just fine about going in there and buying nothing but sale items/using their showroom and then buying somewhere else.

fxstchewy
November 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
Gander is WAY to high on their firearms prices, to be honest, i don't see how they stay in business, i can buy ANYTHING they have for less somewhere else.
ALL of my LGS's have better deals.

StrikeFire83
November 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Yup, ALL of my guns have been purchased from various local gun shops. Unfortunately, Gander still beats them on ammo...from time to time when they have a "super sale."

CPO15
November 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
GM's prices in my area are always full manufacturer's list price. I've only bought twice from them when my LGS cannot get what I want from his distributors; GM usually can find one from another store or their distributors. Costs me about $100.00 more. Plus, it takes about 40 minutes to do the paperwork, background, their in-house paperwork and second review of all that stuff. They are polite, helpful and personable: kinda like getting your car repaired at the dealership rather than at a local garage.

Ammo could be had at a reasonable price but, I haven't found a deal there in the past ten months.

smalls
November 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
I go there sometimes, but pretty much just to browse and kill time. I can't recall a single time I've bought anything there, besides maybe a bore brush.

maskedman504
November 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
It is only gouging if you buy it. :cool:

November 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Looks like it is time to post one of my milled Arsenal AK47s on GB for $8000.

:neener:

StrikeFire83
November 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
^ Yeah, really. Some people are so stupid. Barack Obama, I didn't vote for him...I don't like him...but he can't pass legislation by fiat. I'm not paying $700 for a $500 Glock just because he got elected.

Josh45
November 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yep, Sounds about right for GM.
Everything is over priced. Auto Ordinance 1911 @ LGS is $499. Its a shame GM is absolutely insane with their prices as one was built 50-60 miles from me, I have only been there twice. Once cause I went to see what it had and the second time because my brother wanted to see......Never again...

CPshooter
November 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
I actually came from the new Gander Mt. store that opened recently here in Cary, NC. The prices on handguns were very high. They wanted $699 for most of their Glocks. I told them straight up they were too high and I even offered them $600 out the door for a Glock 34 that I was ready to buy. I let them know that they could either move a gun today, or I would go find it for less online and transfer it to my local FFL guy for $20. When I mentioned this, the guy helping me started getting nervous and then started rambling on about how nobody does it for less than $50 (total BS as my guy charges $20) and the reason they charge more is because they are a real store. I told him that I didn't really care because I prefer my guns to be completely unhandled and fresh from the distributor/factory anyhow. In other words, being able to see the gun first was not that important to me as long as I knew it was new in the box. He then said he didn't think they could do it, but he was going to check with his manager just in case. Turns out they didn't have any more gen 3's in the back anyhow, and I wasn't willing to take the display model so we didn't go any further with the negotiation process. I still wonder if it's even possible to haggle with these guys. Not sure how they can make any sales with prices like this.

Girodin
November 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
You'd have to be an idiot to pay $700 for a glock.

I'll buy from local brick and mortar stores and pay a bit more at times to see and inspect an item, but not at absurd prices.

oneounceload
November 10, 2012, 10:01 PM
There is NO SUCH THING AS GOUGING - please take a class on econ 101 and study supply and demand.

NO one is forcing you to buy a damn thing; in reality,
the buyer ultimately sets the price for ANY goods sold - period

As to the seller, asking and getting are two different scenarios

StrikeFire83
November 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
^Okay, well, metaphysically and economically speaking I guess you're correct. But I pity the folks, usually those new to shooting, who walk into a Gander Mountain and pay $699.99 for a Glock 19. Sooner or later they're going to realize that they paid a big box retailer an extra $200 for the pleasure of doing business with them.

psyopspec
November 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
The deal I got on the ammo is middling...works out to about $12 per 50 round box...but I bought a thousand rounds of the stuff because I know the hillbillies are going to be out in force buying up everything in sight due to the election results.

That's $.24 per round. Have you considered looking at Midway, Ammoman, or AmmmunitionToGo? You can do it solo or go in with a buddy on a bulk buy and get it shipped to your door for around (and sometimes less than) $.20.

Also, you wanted to avoid panic buying, so you... panic bought? Makes sense.

PabloJ
November 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
So I was over at Gander Mountain to buy some ammo this morning on "Saturday Morning Doorbuster" and I looked in the gun cases...good LORD. Glocks and XDs for $699.99. They also had a bare bones AUTO ORDINANCE 1911 for $699.99!!! :what: I mean Gander's prices on handguns have always been way to high....but this is just gouging. People who use this place for anything more than showrooming are throwing their money in the garbage.

That is about the worst place to buy ammo unless one just needs one box and there is no other place to go.

tarosean
November 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
There is NO SUCH THING AS GOUGING - please take a class on econ 101 and study supply and demand.

Your own state has laws against such.
REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS Chapter 501.

Course it centers around a state of emergency i.e. Hurricanes, etc. None-the-less for something that dont exist.. Im sure they had a valid reason for passing such law?

Back to the discussion, I seriously dont know how GM stays in business with their prices.

There is one located near me, next to an Academy. The Academy parking lots are full all the time, GM looks like its just the employee vehicles every single time I drive by..

Personally all these chicken little threads are getting out of hand.

HDCamel
November 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
Last time I went to GM (Thursday) the Glocks were all $550-ish.
It really doesn't matter though. I'm not going to buy one anyway.

hAkron
November 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
GM had a lot of trade in HK P7's. I got one last December for $599. That's the ONLY deal I've ever seen them have.

StrikeFire83
November 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
That's $.24 per round. Have you considered looking at Midway, Ammoman, or AmmmunitionToGo? You can do it solo or go in with a buddy on a bulk buy and get it shipped to your door for around (and sometimes less than) $.20.

I'll give those places a look. I know that some places charge tax AND shipping.

Also, you wanted to avoid panic buying, so you... panic bought? Makes sense.

Not panic-buing. I'm going shooting tomorrow with several other people who will be shooting my ammo. I'll be teaching two new shooters and I need the ammo on tap. Also, look at the round counts on my G17. I'll go through that 1,000 rounds pretty quickly.

Inebriated
November 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
$699 for a Glock really isn't out of the ordinary for Gander Mountain.

Seriously.

rodinal220
November 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
GM new gun prices are often higher than even Cabelas.Decent deals in both of their used racks can be had by a careful shopper.

19-3Ben
November 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
Decent deals in both of their used racks can be had by a careful shopper.

Having been to both, I often see used prices about 10-20% higher than I find in my local LGSs. Could just be a regional thing.
The only deals I have EVER found are when someone doing pricing screws up and doesn't know about the value of a particular milsurp rifle. Like if they label a Finn M39 as a Russian Mosin Nagant and list it at $150. That kind of thing.

MachIVshooter
November 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Gander got crossed off my list a long time ago. There is nothing they have that I can't get elsewhere for less. NOTHING.

toivo
November 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
I've seen crazy pricing in Gander for sure, like a used Benelli Nova for more than the new one that was just down the rack (and no, neither one was a SuperNova). A few years ago, I saw a CZ-83 for $100 more than MSRP. Sometimes you'll find a decent deal in the sale flyer, like $235 for a Bersa Thunder .380, but it's very rare.

ponchsox
November 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
I actually got a good deal on an LCP at Gander earlier this year. $279 online with free shipping to my local Gander store.

2wheels
November 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Unless they're running some sort of special deal, Gander Mountain generally runs the highest on gun and ammo prices in my area. Sometimes the ammo prices are 50% more than what the same stuff is going for at Wallyworld.

Dicks Sporting Goods isn't much better than Gander. Pretty much all those corporate guys suck. Except Walmart when it comes to ammo.

The only places I can consistently find decent prices are at smaller locally owned gunstores and gunshows.

DAdams
November 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Sportsmans Warehouse has decent prices.
I usually do Buds online since TN has a 10 percent sales tax.

I have been stocking up for 7 years. Don't need to pay today's high prices.

jj1962hemi
November 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
Sadly, even Bud's and Classic Arms are coming in significantly higher for hi-cap pistols and assault-style long guns since last week. Classic had new Saiga 7.62x39 SA carbines (16 and 20") for $399, now their lowest prices are on Yugo AKs for $549, and only in 5.45mm. It will probably be late 2013 before it cools down...

wally
November 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
Course it centers around a state of emergency i.e. Hurricanes, etc. None-the-less for something that dont exist.. Im sure they had a valid reason for passing such law?

Sure, to inhibit recovery in increase dependency on government. If I could truck gas into NJ and sell for a higher price than I can get for it here, there'd be no shortage or gas lines and rationing.

These same "emergency laws" generally also ban guns and ammo sales, once again when folks without are most likely to have need.

When to a smaller gun show yesterday, no panic or enormous crowds and prices seemed about what they were at the last show -- higher than I like :)

the count
November 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
GM is good for checking out guns before ordering them from a good online place like Grabagun or Buds or whoever. MSRP is how they price...don't know why they would go higher than $550 for a Gen 4 17 or similar. Those are not scarce or hard to find.

Kiln
November 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
Reminds me of Cabela's. I went in there and their used stuff was higher than the same item brand new elsewhere.

tek610
November 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
I walked into the local Gander's here in Minnesota and saw in their used case a Kahr CW9 for- get this- $599! :what:

USED.

And this was PRE-ELECTION (about a month ago).

I strolled over to the new firearms section and saw that a NIB CW9 was listed for $549. (?)

Both are outrageously over-priced, but- $50 LESS for a new one?

I thought, maybe it was an error or something, but I didn't bother to ask. I've always known that it's a "research only" store for me. If they're not busy, I'll ask to hold one or two models, but I'm always clear with the salesmen that I'm not going to buy "today," so if they want to help a sucker who's waiting to buy, it won't bother me.

I found my new Kahr K9 for nearly $200 under MSRP at grabagun.com. I made out well even when factoring in shipping and the FFL fee.

If all shooters were educated consumers, GM would be out of business. At least, out of the gun selling business.

silicosys4
November 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000&N=4506&cname=New-Firearms

Un-Freakin-Believable.

itchy1
November 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
The absolute best thing that we as consumers can do in these situations is stop buying when prices get rediculous. Those that get caught up in the panic/paranoia only make things worse for everyone. The prices will come back to earth if vendors can't move their wares.

Wishoot
November 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
I don't bother with their firearms area. I'll go to buy clothing or fishing gear once in a while, but gun stuff is purchased elsewhere

jimbombo
November 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
Sadly enough there are many uneducated consumers out there! Was at gander last week and someone was buying a new semi auto, so they do sell guns, just not to us! :)! I took a couple of guns there just for kicks and giggles just to see what they would offer, if it is like new in box they will offer about 50% of retail! With that said they had a 4" gp100 SS with box(it was dirty as hell, course they couldn't clean it up..) mechancally fine though, they had $450 on it. Soo that means the poor sucker who sold it to them probably only got $225 !!! :( (where was I ! I hate to see people get ripped off by big stores)

oneounceload
November 14, 2012, 10:19 AM

And it covers a very limited list of items - gasoline, water, plywood and similar and ONLY when a state of emergency has been declared. Your local Gander or LGS or similar is not selling those items, there is no state of emergency (Sandy areas excepted) and you do not have to have one or buy one from them

Right now, the highest gas price in the nation is in Orlando at ONE station where most rental car folks gas up - over $6.50 a gallon when three blocks away they are all selling for for $3.25/gallon - is this guy gouging? Nope, he has location location location in a non-emergency scenario - just like Gander. I have a GM where I live - I stopped asking for gift cards after the first time going there - their normal prices are retail +10%. Just like Cabela's, once they started building those big expensive "lodges", they had to cover the costs - they were both better priced as catalog stores.

Nonetheless, if you do not do your due diligence and get caught up in an impulse buy, and you later found out you paid more than you could have, it is not gouging - doesn't matter if it guns, cars, clothing, restaurants, or whatever. If they are selling at their asking prices, then they have the goods marked correctly, too high and nothing sells, too low and they run out too quickly. Besides it is easier to always lower prices and call it a sale, then it is to raise them because you priced an item too low.

toivo
November 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
As far as gouging during emergencies, we had people coming up from New Jersey after Sandy to buy gas. They must have been desperate, because it's an hour-and-a-half drive. Most station were selling at around $3.95, but one guy in a prominent location jacked his up to $4.29. That's his right, and it's my right to never buy gas from that guy again. Vote with your feet, folks.

StrikeFire83
November 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
I just don't understand how this place stays in business. Retailers complain about "showrooming" but they bring it on themselves. Want an XDm 4.5 in 9mm?

If you buy from Gander you'll pay $110 more than an online retailer with MODERATELY good prices.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Springfield-XD-M-Handgun&i=GM417554&r=view&from=grid

http://www.impactguns.com/springfield-xdm-9mm-45in-black-19rd-xdm9201hcsp-706397882587.aspx

gopackgo
November 14, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have a Gander, Gander Gun World, and Cabela's in my area. All three are similar in their firearm pricing, all at the high end. Gander Gun World has a great selection of firearms in stock, the best in the area. Cabela's usually beats on ammo, though I often find good prices at Gander. As far as firearm accessories (cleaning, smithing tools, parts, bench & range gear, etc.), Gander can't compete with Cabela's.

zeke
November 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
The last time i was in a Gander Mt (Eau Claire Wi), saw a cz 7.62x39 527. Offered them the standard price they were going for else wheres, and after 1/2 hour of checking they accepted. The only shop in this area even seen that model of rifle.

Good selection, outrageous prices.

Warp
November 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
$500 NIB Glocks at my LGS, same as always

If you enjoyed reading about "$700 Glocks and XDs??? Let the post election price gouging begin!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!