BBB 3" for Goose

PDA

blarby
November 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Looking for 3" shell recommendations in BBB for goose.

12 GA........ I know..........

Whats new, whats worked for you, etc.

Surprisingly, Telling me that I NEED a 3 1/2" wont make me buy one !

Looking to work with what I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "BBB 3" for Goose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
November 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Everything is a compromise. I'd go no bigger than BB to get a few more pellets in the pattern. If you're shooting them at closer ranges #2's will work. But others see it differently and would rather have fewer, larger shot in the pattern.

They are much more expensive, but some of the non-steel, non-toxic shot performs much better with smaller pellets. For the occasional shot at geese that would be a consideration for me. If you do a lot of shooting that can get expensive and steel is probably the best choice.

blarby
November 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately, short range is something I haven't had a lot of luck with in the two attempts I've made thus far this year.

By that, I mean short range isn't something I've had a chance at more than twice.

I've tried kent in BB 2 3/4, and hevishot in BB 3"- no dice.

I know that some of them were out of range, but the wing of 3 the wife and I tried for this morning real early was right at 40- couldn't have been any more, for the first 2 shots, could have been less.

3 shots from each of us, total of 6 shots- nothing. It was a straight overpass, and they weren't moving that fast.

I've yet to try anything at less than about 30 yards by my guesstimation.

I know... closer would be ideal, but its just not happening yet.

It looks like these :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916804/federal-speed-shok-waterfowl-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-1-4-oz-bbb-non-toxic-steel-shot-box-of-25

Might be about my only option, looks like.

Although hevi-shot offers these :

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218960/hevi-shot-hevi-metal-waterfowl-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-1-4-oz-bbb-hevi-metal-non-toxic-box-of-25

And, black clouds...federal again.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160984/federal-premium-black-cloud-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-1-4-oz-bbb-non-toxic-flightstopper-steel-shot-box-25

drsfmd
November 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
Been very happy with Blindside this year. I won't use plain round steel and tungsten isn't widely available anymore.

Virginian
November 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
I had the best results using Winchester copper coated 'T' shot on geese when I shot steel at them. Ran quite a few patterns and Improved Modified proved to be the best in my gun. You really need to see what yours does. The ultimate goose (and swan) gun with steel is a 10 gauge in my opinion. I used a BPS until tungsten came along and then I went back to my 3" 12 gauge.

chas08
November 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Where you hunt in relation to the migration dictates what is the most effective! Here in South Texas BBB is a good over the decoy load. Shots over a 1000 rag spread can be 60 yards. Way up north where you have them feet down at 20 yards # 2 may be all you need.

Here we favor T-shot, at least in the circles I hunt with, even over Hevi-Shot BB. The most important thing to do is find the choke that patterns the large shot the best, if thats possible. My experience has been that the larger shot such as BBB & T pattern better with a looser choke. I run an Improved Cylynder in my BPS and a Patternmaster Longrange in My SP-10.

I have killed Geese with complete through the middle of the body pass through shots at a 100 yards with both of my 10 gauge guns with T-shot. With BBB 70 yards is stretching it.

I know that the purists will condemn taking a long shot, but down here it all amounts to putting the best pattern out there that fits your situation!

And no, you don't need a 10 gauge to kill Geese. I just got started with one 25 years ago and after dabbling around with various 12 gauge guns I decided I didn't like anything better!

MCgunner
November 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
In a 3", you're option for performance is hevishot. That's it, the tungsten stuff. Suck it up and pay the price if you don't wanna go 3.5". I got so tired of hearing pellets hit at byond 40 yards, seeing the birds get pushed up by the shot load, and watching 'em fly off! For a while, Federal Tungsten/iron was semi-affordable, about a buck thirty a shot. I was very happy with the stuff, worked well on high birds up 50 yards or so, where the snows stay on a clear day. Then the stuff shot out of sight, over 3 bucks a round. I figured out real quick I could pay for another shotgun in short order considering 10 gauge 3.5" is only a dollar a shot for steel Ts. So, I got me an H&R (affordable) in 10 gauge. It's amazing, patterns over 90 percent, reaches out 60 yards or better with Ts, better than tungsten BBs. T steel at 40 and in will shoot right through a snow goose. Amazing. If I get another goose lease, I have a MEC 10 gauge reloader now and can drop the price of that stuff quite a bit that way.

So, be stubborn and keep your shots under 40 yards (not easy on a clear day in Texas, maybe Canadas are dumber, don't know) or spend out the nose for hevishot or save you some money and get real performance. Even a Browning BPS 10 will pay for itself if you shoot geese a lot. Me, I go 2 or 3 times a year MAX for geese. The single shot H&R, though, works well for me. And, I recently picked up a 3.5" 12 gauge Mossberg 535 which I have yet to pattern with 3.5" Ts, but will. Got that gun for $170 at a pawn shop and it performed fantastic on doves this year. It's in great shape.

Kingcreek
November 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
2 things happened when I switched to hevi shot.
I took fewer and better shots (thinking of the cost per pop)
I killed more of what I shot at.

And I sold my 3.5"

MCgunner
November 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
2 things happened when I switched to hevi shot.
I took fewer and better shots (thinking of the cost per pop)
I killed more of what I shot at.

And I sold my 3.5"

In a way, that first statement applies to me. I'm shooting the H&R 10, KNOW I don't have a follow up, so subconsciously knowing this, I waste less ammo and my percentage goes up. :D

I've shot 3" BB Tungsten and 3.5" 10 gauge steel Ts and the 10 is the way I'll stay for goose hunting, amaingly effective WAY out there and the patterns are consistent and in excess of 90 percent on a 30" 40 yard board. I think pattern is why the 10 works so well. I haven't had a chance to pattern 3.5" in my 535, but I'm not expecting it to come anywhere close to the 10. I know my best 3" don't pattern 90 percent.

blarby
November 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the tips, and knowledge.

I'm listenin.

If you enjoyed reading about "BBB 3" for Goose" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!