308 cal 20" bull barrel accuracy

PDA

1pccom
November 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
is a 20" bull barrel as accurate as a 24" bull barrel in a bolt action 308 cal rifle

If you enjoyed reading about "308 cal 20" bull barrel accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoser
November 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
For the most part, yes.

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy.

primalmu
November 11, 2012, 02:12 AM
In most cases it will be more accurate. A shorter barrel is stiffer than a longer one and will yield better accuracy.

Detritus
November 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
is a 20" bull barrel as accurate as a 24" bull barrel in a bolt action 308 cal rifle

At the distances the majority of shooters will ever even try, Yes.

the conventional wisdom is that at longer ranges (beyound 600) a 20" barrel can or will suffer slightly against 24-26" barrels due to the gains in MV from the longer barrels allowing the bullet to stay supersonic a little bit longer.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
I watched Todd Hodnett shoot a man sized steel target with a 20" .308 at 1 mile in person.He teaches others to do it too(great instructor). Check out "Magpul: The Art of the Precision Rifle" video. I believe one of the Magpul guys was using a 20" AR style in .308 (may have been a LaRue Predator, but don't quote me on the rifle type).

Jim Watson
November 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
A 20" barrel might well be MORE accurate than a 24" at moderate ranges.
It is effectively stiffer.
The difference is great enough that benchrest rifles for 100-300 yards usually have rather short barrels.
The difference is not great enough to show up in off the shelf rifles, but the point is that it won't hurt.

I consider true long range shooting with such a short barrel to be a stunt, possible for a good shot with good equipment, but not something you see done when score is kept.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
One of my shooting buddies, uses a 20" barrel 243 for his competitions(usually <800 but have seen him take first at 1000). The "pros" were poking fun of a .243, I think they all ate crow that day. He has built competition rifles,bolt and semi, for 12 years. He was the one that first got me using a 20" setup. I constantly shoot my 20" barreled .308 at 800 and less on steel. While I am not the shot my friend is, I love 20". The loss of velocity was minimal (usually less than 100fps). The twist is more important in my opinion between a 20" and 24" barrel, please know this is just my opinion. I am not doubting anyone, this is just from my experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "308 cal 20" bull barrel accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!