Reloading prices going up

PDA

Littlewolf
November 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
Went in a LGS yesterday to see how prices had changed since the election. Looked at prices on primers in comparison with just two weeks ago. Prices for Winchester Large Rifle primers had increased from $3.35 per hundred to $4.00 per hundred. Increases were seen with other primers though not with bullets at this point. The obvious reason reported was the results of the election. While this is not a massive increase [19%], it is politically driven. Makes me wonder if we will see prices like we saw four years ago. :eek::eek: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading prices going up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
November 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
That was purely a profit driven increase, not politically driven one. Congress has not even been in session since the election they couldn't have done anything to cause an increase.

My advise is to not buy any until he lowers them back down.

smalls
November 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Oh. My. God.

He hasn't even finished his victory dance yet, how has he had time to introduce any anti gun bills?

I'm not happy he won, either. But this "ALL OUR GUNS ARE GOING TO TAKEN AND BULKETS ARE GOING TO COST $1,000,000 A PIECE" crap had got to end, unless he actually tries to do something.

It has nothing to do with the election, your LGS is just trying to take advantage of people.

ErikO
November 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Personally, gouging is a reason to find a new source. I have had several smaller providers of firearms equipment let me know via FB and email that their distributors have raised prices on a few things and I appreciate the heads-up. What we don't need is F.U.D. being used to pull more green from our wallets.

CTD! is already on that bandwagon. Screw those guys.

ColtPythonElite
November 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
This thread is why I stocked up months ago.

coalman
November 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
Capitalism at work.

Queen_of_Thunder
November 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
Oh. My. God.

He hasn't even finished his victory dance yet, how has he had time to introduce any anti gun bills?

I'm not happy he won, either. But this "ALL OUR GUNS ARE GOING TO TAKEN AND BULKETS ARE GOING TO COST $1,000,000 A PIECE" crap had got to end, unless he actually tries to do something.

It has nothing to do with the election, your LGS is just trying to take advantage of people.
Yep thats the truth. Many of our fellow gun owners are running around thinking the UN will be knocking down doors before Monday to collect our guns. Of course these people are making gun owners look like a bunch of loony birds. I'm not saying one shouldn't be vigilant but one must also act in a rational manner. I have friends who have gone overboard since Wednesday morning. They have simply lost their minds. They were normal people on Monday but were out spending thousands of dollars on guns,ammo and food the day after the election. Its crazy.

hso
November 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
politically stupidity/panic/greed driven

Prices haven't changed where I get them, but then there are over a dozen gun shops in the area as well as about a gun show a month.

smalls
November 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
These people should be running sales.

It might get those people who rarely break out that old revolver out of their drawer to hit the range more often, and interact with us fellow gun nuts, which in turn might get them more politically active.

Twiki357
November 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
Wow, that's $40 a brick! I just bought two bricks of CCI at a gun show today at $28 each. :)

ErikO
November 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen this deal yet on 5.56: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A556DK

Danish 62gr on strippers for $126/300. Buy three and it ships in a fat fifty can.

Deals are still out there. :)

Halal Pork
November 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
I would have thought ammo prices would rise before reloading components. Looks like both will spike. I checked online to compare prices for the primers the OP referenced. A person would have to buy in bulk to get a much better deal, particularly due to HAZMAT fees, at least where I looked.

PVD
November 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Haven't seen any noticeable price jumps in this area. Yesterday I bought a bag of 7 1/2 shot at a LGS. The owner charged me less than his posted price which is as good as any I have found elsewhere. And it's not that I'm one of his better customers.

45lcshooter
November 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
Supply/demand, mostly greed.

gspn
November 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Buy online. If you can' buy enough to offset the $25 hazmat fee then go in with some others and create a bigger order. Midway still has WLP's for $33 per thousand. That guy will lower his prices when he loses business.

TennJed
November 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
Local big box store still is stocked up and prices are the same. Got some powder for $17.99 and a box of priners for $29.99

oneounceload
November 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Before you go blaming your LGS for "gouging" you ( something that can't happen if you willingly pay), is that his replacement costs from his distributor might have also gone up. Component makers typically raise their prices 2X per year, and this could easily be the reason - if his replacement costs have gone up, then he needs to raise the price on his current stock to be able to buy new inventory

Walkalong
November 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
If you think they just raised prices because they think folks will get scared and buy it anyway, then don't buy it. Simple.

Hondo 60
November 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Powder Valley has Tula small pistol primers for $19.60/1k.

Nico Testosteros
November 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
If prices are going up, it's due to gunowners and shooters.

jmorris
November 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
unless he actually tries to do something.

From the morning after the election.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/obama-win-u-backs-u-n-arms-treaty-193445288.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

http://marketdailynews.com/2012/11/07/senator-dianne-feinstein-moves-to-ban-all-assault-rifles-high-capacity-magazines-and-pistol-grips/

I don't panic buy, just have a very nice stock for myself. Buy enough from powder valley for free shipping and you'll have plenty of supplies at a good price. I'm all for supporting local business but when they try to "stick it to me" I don't let them.

James2
November 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
At my local big box store, no run on components, no price change. That was yesterday, Saturday Nov 10.

Walkalong
November 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
From the morning after the election.Want to and can do are two different things. No use fretting yet. The antis are still out there, just as they were before, but they have lost a lot of traction in the last few years, and just having a President that sides with them is not enough to push through legislation.

Let's not freak out just yet. :)

jim243
November 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Well at least one thing is working in our favor, if the mayan calendar is correct the world will end on Dec 21, 2012. That's at least a full month before he can be sworn in as president again (LOL). I guess the jokes on him. (LOL) Either way we are screwed!!! (LOL)

If you can't laugh about it, you will start crying.
Jim

bob4
November 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
Well at least one thing is working in our favor, if the mayan calendar is correct the world will end on Dec 21, 2012. That's at least a full month before he can be sworn in as president again (LOL). I guess the jokes on him. (LOL) Either way we are screwed!!! (LOL)

If you can't laugh about it, you will start crying.
JimIn the end, No one gets out alive Do they ?.

gahunter12
November 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
I should have enough to last til fall of next year. I'm setting on 32,000 primers, and enough powder to last me a life time. After all life ends 12-21-12

BYJO4
November 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
The local stores in my area have been getting more than retail for sometime on primers and powder. The other day a fellow at my local range said he just paid $40.00 for 1000 Win primers. He is fairly new to reloading and didn't realize the savings he could get by buying on line in bulk even if he had to get several others to go in on the order with him. The only shortage that I've noticed for about the last month is on SP primers.

USSR
November 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Knowing this year was an election year, about 10 months ago I bought 5,000 large rifle primers for $75. You know, most times it pays to think ahead.;)

Don

wrench
November 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
I bought a cast of Winchester SPP on Friday at my local supplier, $25/1000, just like they've been for over a year.
Your guy is taking advantage of people's fears.

jaysouth
November 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Capitalism at work.
No, this is not capitalism. Capitalism will drive informed buyers acting in their own self interest to other sources.

The market place will sort this gouger out.

ReloaderFred
November 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
I've watched prices go up steadily since 1963, sad to say. I remember when primers were .29 cents a hundred, and everybody sold them, including the local drug store. Surplus IMR 4831 was .35 cents a pound, and it came in paper bags with the wire roll top.

It's not going to get any better, either. Fewer and fewer retailers are carrying reloading supplies, so the local guy can pretty much set his own price, according to his/her overhead and conscience.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading prices going up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!