Which is your favorite Ruger 22 pistol and why?

PDA

breakingcontact
November 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
Which is your favorite Ruger 22 pistol model and why?
I'm looking to buy a Ruger 22 pistol but am overwhelmed at the # of models out there. I like many of them.

Which one do you like and why?

What are my purposes with the pistol? General/various/all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is your favorite Ruger 22 pistol and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
November 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
10" MKII because they are more accurate than many .22 rifles.

TimeIsRunninOut
November 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
Mark III 22/45 5.5" Bull barrel blued purchased 07

It makes me look good at the range :D, other than that I wouldn't mind having the model with the grip panels for a fuller grip.

Onward Allusion
November 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
Ruger Charger. With a laser, a scope, & an OEM 25 round mag - it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

sappyg
November 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
For me it's the 22/45 Lite. It's a great all around combination of weight and balance. Can't beat the frame size and feel either.

kokapelli
November 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
SR22 just because it's fun to shoot.

rodinal220
November 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
MKII 5.5" heavy barrel.With a Clark trigger and Volquartsen sear,it make a nice informal target gun.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
I love the slab-side MkII Competition, personally, but not everyone is the same.

Frankl03
November 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
I like the MKIII hunter with the 6 7/8 barrel. I did a bunch of mods to it and its a great shooter. I have 4 mags for it. I have a red dot mounted on mine. I need to pick up an ultimate loader.

newbuckeye
November 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
+1 for the SR 22......

thefish
November 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
+2 for the sr22

tuj
November 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
MKIII 5.5 Bull barrel (with mag disconnect removed and VQ upgrades). Very accurate and well-balanced.

Pilot
November 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have four Ruger MK II's. Two of them are 5.5 in. bull barrel Target models. I think they are my favorites, although the 4 in. bull barrel 22/45 is pretty close.

rule303
November 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
I like the tapered 6.78" barrel MK series. I also have a 5.5" bull, which feels about the same as far as balance, but the longer sight radius makes long shots easier.

tarosean
November 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
Single Six convertible.

Accurate, fun and two in one.

rvanpelt
November 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
+3 for SR 22 :)
fun, reliable, accurate, shoots cheap bulk shells, good trainer for younger shooters, priced right, Ruger quality, easily stripped....wife, grand kids and I love it. 1000 rounds through it before cleaning.
You'll love it too.
Rod van Pelt

weblance
November 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Single Ten... no wait... Single Six. well... maybe my Mark II Target, or my 22/45 Lite. I like my SR22P also. Oh... forgot my SP101-22... I like that one too. My LCR-22 is cool, yup. Hell... I like 'em all

TennJed
November 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Single Six/Ten but that is a revolver. For pistols I would get a MKIII 5.5" bull barrel

ku4hx
November 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Ruger Standard Model, Mark II Target and Mark III Target because they work as expected, are fun to shoot and are very accurate.

Jaymo
November 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
For a revolver, Single Six.
For an autoloader, 4" tapered barrel. I like the way it handles and looks.

Those are the only Ruger .22 pistols I have. One revolving pistol and one autoloading pistol.

M2 Carbine
November 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have the Ruger MK I (2), MKII 22/45, MK III 22/45, Charger and two SR22.
Also Bearcat and Single Six (2).

Although I like all the guns, I shoot the SR22 pistols more than all the other guns put together.
Hardly a day goes buy that I don't shoot 100 plus rounds through the the little guns.

One of the Rugers is equipped with a Crimson Trace laser, so I shoot the guns night and day (home range).
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerSR22.jpg

A little while back I tore both my shoulders, so I'm very limited on what I can shoot. Because of it's light weight and low recoil and the fact I like the gun, the two SR22 are eating a LOT of Wal Mart bulk packs.:)

WCraven
November 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
Don't mess around ,, get the SS model in Single Six and 22Mag FTW

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/crazycrave/012-1.jpg

Deus Machina
November 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
MkIII 22/45, with the 5.5" bull barrel.
Why? It's the one I have. :)

Even if it wasn't a gift (the obligatory gun-from-dad) the only competition for the choice would be a similar Buckmark.

texgunner
November 12, 2012, 02:58 AM
I'm rather fond of my Mk III with 5.5" bull barrel. Accurate and fires everything I feed it.

Fishslayer
November 12, 2012, 03:32 AM
The one I lust after most is a MKII with 4" slabside barrell. Missed out on one recently & still kicking myself.

When I bought my MKIII 22/45 5.5" bull barrell it was because they sold out of the 4" slabsides almost immediately. It just has a great look & balance.

The 5.5" bull is maybe a bit easier to be accurate with though.

fdashes
November 12, 2012, 03:32 AM
bet your confused any longer lol

MCgunner
November 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
10" MKII because they are more accurate than many .22 rifles.

Very true. I scoped my 5.5" standard Mk2 and it shoots 1" at 50 yards. it outshoots its 10/22 sibling by 1/2" at that range.

However, the Mk 2 is a big, heavy .22. The SR22, while only 2" at 25 yards accurate, is a pocketable gun and light at 17 ounces. It's a dandy to drop in my pocket when I'm going fishing, a pocket kit gun if you will. They are completely different pistols with different purposes so I find it hard to pick a favorite. I love to squirrel hunt and the Mk 2 has the accuracy for that. I carry it in an UM's shoulder rig that will also carry my TC Contender scoped barrels. Actually, I bought the rig FOR my Contender with 10" barrels, but the Ruger fits it. :D

mahansm
November 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Mk II target with 6 7/8 heavy barrel. Better trigger than the MK III and also simpler magazine configuration.

To me it just balances better than any of the others (except 5" bull barrel).

Also, when instructing new shooters with a MK III every now and then someone will insert a magazine backwards. It's quite interesting to get it out again, as the magazine disconnect lever lines up with a notch in the magazine, falls in, and locks the magazine in place.

Blue68f100
November 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
My SS MKIII Hunter with the 6 7/8" barrel. This gun has had a lot of mods to it and has a 2# trigger very light. It's basically a MKII with the push button mag release. The fluted barrel reduces the nose weight over the bull barrels. The extra weight makes second shots a lot faster during rapid fire. I have a dot sight on mine and a 2x pistol scope that I can switch back and forth on. I used mine for squirrel hunting one year. I was picking them off at 40 yrds with the scope on.

There fun shooters..

smallbore
November 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
Although I own several different models, I'm partial to my stainless MkII Competition Target Model.

aarondhgraham
November 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
It's just a grip angle preference for me.

I've owned the 4" barrel version,,,
And have shot many long barrel models.

It seems all of my range buddies have a Ruger of some ilk,,,
So I've been fortunate in having lots to try out.

My favorite after all of that is the 5.5" Slab-side version,,,
I purchased a pair of the new stainless steel model 22/45 Mk-III with wood grips.

The balance of the 5.5" gun is perfect for me,,,
The stainless slab-side barrels are simply beautiful.

These are all of the Ruger pistols I will ever need.

Aarond

bannockburn
November 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
The MK.II Model 512 would be my favorite Ruger .22 pistol. With target grips fitted to it, this gun balances perfectly in my hand with the 5 1/2" bull barrel. Along with its target sights and clean trigger, this gun is capable of some pretty amazing accuracy with Wolf Match Target ammo.

Vern Humphrey
November 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the 22/45. I prefer the Standard Model MK II with the 5 1/2" bull barrel and adjustable sights. I fix the annoying Ruger trigger back lash with Mole Foam (avialable in the foot care department at your local drug store.) Put a bit of Mole Foam on the frame, behind the trigger until it just stops the trigger as the sear releases -- cheap, and no worries about doing something that can't be undone.

MCgunner
November 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the 22/45. I prefer the Standard Model MK II with the 5 1/2" bull barrel and adjustable sights.

Nah, I'm with ya, much prefer the Lugeresque grip angle of the standard Mk 2 to the 1911 grip angle of the .22/45. It's a personal thing, though, why they make both. :D

The SR22 comes with a hump back grip sleeve that will modify the angle of the grip a bit should you prefer it. I kept the thin one on because it pockets a little better with the smaller grip, not much, though. The hump kinda feels funny in my palm, so I just stuck with the smaller one.

I kinda think the SR22 is a bit more fun to plink with, but the targets have to be bigger. :D

Dentite
November 14, 2012, 12:26 AM
MkIII 5.5" bull barrel was my choice and I have no regrets. I also like the look of the slab sides.

Rinspeed
November 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
MKIII with 5.5 Bull barrel, I've only had it for a couple months but I have 600 trouble free rounds through it.

biohazurd
November 15, 2012, 03:07 AM
I love my mkIII standard... Simple, sexy, and something ill probably be buried with...

CZ57
November 15, 2012, 03:17 AM
My favorite of all time is the Target model with the heavy but tapered 6 7/8" barrel. Mine was laser accurate and would easily shoot quarter size groups at 25 yards. Don't ask me why I sold it, but I sure wish I still had one. Especially since it has been discontinued. I would have no problem with a stainless version of the same pistol if they still make one. ;)

hq
November 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
My SS MKIII Hunter with the 6 7/8" barrel.

I second that. Mine's blued, Mk.II 5" bull barrel and I love it. I've been thinking about getting a Pac-Lite 6" aluminum barrel/"upper" for weight reduction and rail for red dot. I'd still prefer SS and fluted, longer barrel of the Hunter.

FloriDave
November 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
I have 2 old ruger standards, a MKI 5.5 bull barrel, and a recently acquired stainless bearcat. Had a single six at one time.

The bearcat has been great fun to shoot lately, and will be with me on an upcoming week long hunting trip just to have as a fun plinker. But my go to 22 handgun when I seriously want to hit what i'm aiming at, my Mark I has filled that role since the early 80's for me. Many thousands of rounds through that one.
In fact, i'll have it with me on that same trip as I always seem to go back to the most accurate shooter, after the novelty wears off a newer gun,

Sent from my droid tablet using Tapatalk 2

Nushif
November 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Definitely the Mark 1. Love the Lugeresque looks.

Fishbed77
November 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Best all-around?

Mark III Target with 5.5" bull barrel.

MR2Aaron
November 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
I love my Mark III Target.

It's a hoot to shoot, and in the stainless finish, I think it looks pretty cool.

jungle
November 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
MK II or III, they are all good. I like the 5.5" barrels, but buy what feels best to you. They are simple, sturdy, reliable and accurate. Don't forget the 22/45 series if you want a 1911 style grip. IMHO the first thing to do with a MK III version is to remove the mag disonnect and the loaded chamber indicator. Any of them can benefit from trigger/sear improvement.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/40fcdab9.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/62c6d150.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/DSC_2971.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/jungle375/7758456b.jpg

FFStreetDoc
November 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
The wife claims ownership (she LOVES EM) of several including, 22/45 MKIII hunter, SR 22 and single six LR / MAG. each is distinctly different, Make your choice based on what you expect from it. The MKIII is more accurate but slightly more difficult to maintain, the SR is light and easy to clean and the revolver is like 2 guns in one. As far as a favorite??? i love a revolver

Esoxchaser
November 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
Depends upon the day of the week. Love the Mark III hunter.
Love the Single Six Hunter.

There is enough room in my heart to love them both.

vba
November 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Like most I like the 5.5 Bull on the Mark II frame.

Ala Dan
November 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Ruger MK-II KMK-512

Durable & Accurate; I think I gave $299 for mine NIB in OCT. of 98

*Special Note- throw an old toothbrush in your range bag; and keep the
breach face clean, after 'bout every 100 rounds or so~! ;)

Also, its a "BOOGER" too put back together after cleaning; that is why I
shoot a Browning BuckMark these days~!!:D

Onmilo
November 17, 2012, 09:07 AM
This is my ONLY Ruger pistol so I guess that makes it my favorite :)
http://www.fototime.com/8C0F19AACDD8AEB/standard.jpg

WCraven
November 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
I have owned a T/C Contender 22lr with a 10" super bull barrell that could shoot 1/2 groups at 50 yards from a rest with a scope.. but i found my single six to be almost as accurate!

kokapelli
November 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
I always forget about about my 2213. I just posted this in another thread and thought it should be here too.

This Model 2213 S&W 22lr has always been one of my favorite pistols. It is reliable with most brands of quality ammo, has very good three dot sights, is all metal, a nice single action trigger with a thumb safety, slide lock back on last round and the magazine release is recessed in the front of the grip.

I have it pictured next to my PM9 for size comparison.
http://ompldr.org/tZ2N0Ng (http://ompldr.org/vZ2N0Ng)

GLOOB
November 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
I have the 5" bull barrel. If I could go back in time, I'd get one with the short tapered barrel like Onmillo's, or maybe even the Lite. The weight of the 5" target makes it a great paper puncher with little practical value to me. I've tried to wear it in a holster, twice, and even with a thick belt it's too uncomfortable for me. I didn't even make it through an entire range session before taking it off.

Jaymo
November 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
I thought about the bull barrel, but never warmed up to it. It's not like the 4.something inch tapered barrel is going to be whipping about due to vibration.
Plus, it's lighter.
I wouldn't mind having a bull barrel, if it was a carbon fiber bull barrel.

Blackhawk30
November 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Right now it is the 22/45 LITE.It doesn't get too heavy like the bull barrel models can at the end of a shooting session.Past faves have been the tapered standard models and the tapered 6 7/8 Target model.

mach1.3
November 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mines a blued MK III Competition/Target with the slabsided 5.5" bbl. It has cocobolo wood grips and a gold trigger which I understand is somewhat unusual. Good lookin' beast though. It shoots like a dream. No recoil--I can actually shoot yellow impact print targets with the iron sights(front HiViz) and see the bullets hole materialized just on my front sight. It's really cool to shoot. Am thinking about buying either a hunter or competition slabside 6.88" bbl for possible competitive shooting.

DammitBoy
November 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
Never cared for the 22/45 either, but I've never shot one - just don't like the looks of it.

My favorite:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5066/5596782478_7dbaef1778_z.jpg

My Ruger Mark III fluted hunter in stainless steel

mach1.3
November 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
I want one just like his. That's a purdy pistol dammit!

doubleh
November 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
An old single six built before the 22 mag came on the shooting scene is my favorite. Very accurate and it has accounted for a huge amount of prairiedogs and jackrabbits in the past.

The sr22 is a lot of fun but there is no comparison in the accuracy between the two guns.

jakk280rem
November 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
My 5.5" blued MKII slabside. But my uncle offered to give me my grandfathers 60's era single six, so we shall see.

exavid
November 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
SR22 because it's just fun to shoot for plinking. For Bullseye I prefer the Browning Buckmark. I have two of them and find their flipped sear spring 2lb. trigger superior to the Ruger Mk series for bullseye.

Morgo
November 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Easy, the Ruger Charger.

With some slight modifications :)
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/Exotic%20Handgun%20Builds/P1040494.jpg
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/Exotic%20Handgun%20Builds/P1040489.jpg

Just bought another Charger and have one more coming early next year.

Also have the MKII 10" which is a great shooting .22 and a couple of 22/45's. I plan on adding some tactical Solutions uppers as well.

ApacheCoTodd
November 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
I'll probably be the only one but Mark III Standard 4.75 inch.

My first Ruger was a "pre-mark" of this dimension and went away back in the late 70s. Over the years several variations (always bull bbl and generally long) of Marks passed through my hands and while I enjoyed them, I figured the reason they didn't move me like my first was because it was, well, my first.

Zoom forward to several years ago and a fella rolls past my table looking to dump a NIB "Anniversary" model in order to get the newest-longest-heaviest-most adjustable Ruger and I was his Hucklebery thinkin' I'd give it to my wife for Christmas. Well, turns out she wanted my Hi-Standard so I figured to sell on the Ruger though I seriously enjoyed the feel and swing of it. The last time I showed it to a potential buyer, I did such a good job of selling it that in the middle of the conversation I apologized, explained and boxed it back below the table.

Haven't regretted it a bit since deciding. Very accurate, I'm back to adjusting point of aim (when necessary) rather than sights, never get tired of holding it up regardless of for how long and it requires a minimal in length or cover holster.

Minimalist, quality semi auto shooting with a retro flair.

almherdfan
November 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
SR-22. FUN. Light. Accurate. Easy to shoot. Easy to clean. Can fit in my pocket. Has rail. Nice sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is your favorite Ruger 22 pistol and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!