favorite 300 Savage load ?

PDA

tahoe2
November 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
So all you Model 99 reloaders; what's your favorite load and how does it perform on game.
Although I have never killed anything with that particular rifle in my stable, I have had real good performance with
Sierra 150 grn Pro Hunter's in a jacketed round nose configuration, and Speer 165 grn Grand Slam spitzers.
I used H-335 and BLC-2 for the 150's @ approxmately 2600fps and IMR3031 & H4895 for the 165's @2400 fps.
All speeds are based on published data from my manuals as I don't have a chrony.
These loads are very accurate in my 1951 EG model 99, averaging 1" to 1-1/2" @ 100, and I believe accuracy is
more important than speed, knowing of course "speed kills" ...but only if you hit the target.
So what's your best load, I'm compiling data for the old girl, and would like to try more loads.
Thank's for your participation !!

If you enjoyed reading about "favorite 300 Savage load ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GooseGestapo
November 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Research back issues of "Handloader" magazine. There have been articles in the past 10yrs on just your topic.

IRCC; H4895 with 125-150gr bullets performed best.
If I were working up a load for the .300Savage, I'd start with a Nosler 150gr BallisticTip over H4895.... with a few trial loads with IMR4064 and IMR3031.
It is Sooo similar to the .308 that there are a "ca-zillion" powders that will work well with it. H335, BLC2 will be hard to beat likewise....
Sounds like you already know what will work from YOUR rifle...
tip: Watch MidwayUSA for "blems". The 150gr Hornady flat-base Interlok would be my choice of "all around" bullet with H4895 or whatever else gives best accuacy.... At 2,600fps m/v, it would do most anything you'd want a big-game hunting rifle to do.

Amistoso
November 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
I will start reloading soon, so will be able to add my two cents to this thread! wish me luck. I will take some pointers from all around and put together my own load's data.
Here is a good place to look.http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=53

tahoe2
November 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
The Ballistic Tips have too long of an ogive to load for the Savage 99 magazine OAL is too long,
it needs a shorter profile like Core Lokt's or Grand Slam's. SST's are too long also, as I imagine Barnes would be as well.
Those bullets would certainly work well in a bolt rifle though !!

Amistoso
November 14, 2012, 12:34 AM
The Ballistic Tips have too long of an ogive to load for the Savage 99 magazine OAL is too long,
it needs a shorter profile like Core Lokt's or Grand Slam's. SST's are too long also, as I imagine Barnes would be as well.
Those bullets would certainly work well in a bolt rifle though !!
I have cycled the Hornady SST at least 70 times, slow and fast with no problems(dunno exactly at this time, but at least 70 times)

WNC Seabee
November 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
I tore the pages of an article on loading for .300 Savage out of one of the magazines a couple years ago. I've been meaning to scan them instead of just having them stuck in a book somewhere.

If you're interested, send me an email address and I'll send you a PDF of the scans. May not get to it until later in the week though.

I'm loading for a Remington 760.

If you enjoyed reading about "favorite 300 Savage load ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!