Unknown Gunsmith Item

PDA

marklav111
November 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Can anyone help me identify this item. It came from a gunsmiths shop that I purchased. I have been working on guns for over 15 years and never seen a jig like this one. Thanks, Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Unknown Gunsmith Item" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marklav111
November 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
Pictures

rcmodel
November 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
I don't, but that isn't saying much.

I have a jig in the shop kinda like that I picked up somewhere years ago, and I don't have a clue what it was made for either.

I just kept it in the "possibles junque" as it looked like I could eventually modify it and use it for something. Never found out what yet though.

Your guy might have thought he could make a receiver drilling jig out of it or something, and just never got a Round-Tuit either.

rc

1911 guy
November 12, 2012, 12:36 AM
Looks like a machining fixture. The silver slab with T-slots gets clamped down on the mill table and squared up, the black pieces are clamps to hold the work piece.

Not gospel, just a guess.

mnrivrat
November 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
I don't think it is task specific jig. The features seem to lend themselves to adjustability to fit multiple purposes. Or in other words, a general purpose holding device.

marklav111
November 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I have a few more mystery objects that I will post pictures of to get advice. Thanks, Mark

BBBBill
November 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Wanna sell it? :)

4v50 Gary
November 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
Not a bolt welding jig, is it?

rcmodel
November 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
I thought about that.

I see it has two centering points in the front two clamps spaced about right to hold a bolt.

But the rest of them are either badly out of position to hold the bolt handle?

Or he did a lot of Mannlicher-Schönauer bolts. :D

rc

medalguy
November 14, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just throw it out, and about an hour after the trash is picked up, someone will send you the exact purpose for the jig. Works for me every time. :neener:

BBBBill
November 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
Well, one thing for sure. It cannot be used to convert a Chevy Powerglide shifter to work with a Turbo 350 tranny.

Taurus 617 CCW
November 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
It looks more like a drilling and tapping fixture to me. Something sort of like this one but home made:
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24833&catid=19938

Skylerbone
November 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
The famously elusive tolerance de-stacker?

BBBBill
November 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
Well, I've been holding out. Just wanted to see if anyone else knew before I spilled the beans. That is another Power Custom product (no longer offered as far as I know). It is a sort of universal sight jig that was designed with revolvers in mind. It appears to be missing some pieces.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unknown Gunsmith Item" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!