Best HG With Gloves in Winter?

PDA

Cosmoline
November 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
It's that time of year again. The snow is on the ground and the Gordinis are hanging around my neck. I've been through a number of variations on gloves/handguns but never really found a good match. As it stands now my drill is to simply yank off the right hand glove before drawing a revolver. Trying to manipulate it or even get finger on trigger with gloves is too dangerous and impractical. And that may just be the reality for wintertime.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a handgun that works well with insulated gloves (not just thin shooting gloves). Possibly the Glocks? Something with an even bigger trigger guard?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best HG With Gloves in Winter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scaatylobo
November 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
When I venture out and in a city or ANYPLACE that I can foresee a problem of this nature.

I carry a High Standard .22 magnum DAO derringer in the index finger of my glove,my hand is wrapped around the rest of the gun and it looks like my hand is at my side and relaxed.

I did ruin a pair of gloves to see the results,I dare say that even with a gun in my face = all you will see is the light,if I need to defend myself.

btw,it is VERY accurate as your actually pointing at the intended target.

I have also gone [ more often ] with a S&W 442 DAO revolver in my jacket pocket with hands in the pocket.

Cosmoline
November 11, 2012, 08:38 PM
Well I suppose that is one option! But I'm actually having to grip things and walk around with the gloves on up here, so I need my index finger in the game. And falling down is always a risk.

Drail
November 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
Instead of choosing a handgun that works with your gloves consider choosing gloves that will work with your handgun.

firesky101
November 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
anyone else waiting for Old Fuff to post a picture of a snubbie without a trigger guard?

ghitch75
November 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
no gloves here....buck up....

PabloJ
November 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
I have pair from Burberry and pair from Bally. Very fine Italian-made leather gloves.
I would avoid less expensive Chinese-made ones often sold to golfers and baseball playing folks at sporting goods stores. Who knows how Chinese process their leaver.

usp9
November 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
HK makes their trigger guards oversized to accomodate gloves.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Heckler%20Koch/USP002.jpg

CZ223
November 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
like I just did. It seems that a few guns like the one in the picture above, the EAA line and Glock, all have ample room in front of the trigger. The only one I own is the Glock and you may have convinced me to try it with gloves on. I would still be concerned, with all the guns mentioned, about getting material caught bewtween the trigger guard and the bottom of the trigger. Here in Maine, when I have to work outside, I wear fingerless gloves. The glove still keeps your hand warm enough that your finger won't go numb,usually.

cane
November 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
One modification I have seen is to cut a slit in the glove finger for your trigger finger. Just stick your finger through it to fire.

pendennis
November 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
For the past four years, I've purchased Foot Joy winter golf gloves. They're insulated, but provide good trigger feel. They're not bulky, and they'll set you back about $20/pr.

ATBackPackin
November 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
I usually wear fingerless gloves/mitten combos (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=convertible+mitten+gloves&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=13033617235&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=51951217623919474&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6z0ar7n0bw_b). They come in every shape, size, color, and material. Unless I am skiing that is what I wear.

MJD
November 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'll echo what ATBackPackin said....I wear those pretty regularly. I also wear a very, very light pair of gloves underneath those to protect my fingertips.

This allows for adequate cold protection to the hands as well as dexterity for grabbing. Plus, the thin nature of the base layer of glove allows you to get your trigger finger into the trigger guard pretty easily.

Ungloved, my hands start losing feeling around 40 degrees. This solution has worked well for me in the winter and still allowed me to carry my j-frame without worrying about fitting my finger into that smaller trigger guard.

Cosmoline
November 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
The fingerless and fingerless with liners are something I've already tried. They're fine to about 20 f. but not so much in real cold when your exposed finger tips get frostbit. And there's the added problem of a loose and often snaggy wool or fleece overgloves.

The H&K is one I didn't know about. I wonder if they have a model with an extra large glove hole. I also remember seeing modified revolver trigger guards made extra large, but I don't know if anyone still offers this service. You'd have to heat the steel up quite a bit.

usp9
November 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
I wonder if they have a model with an extra large glove hole.

Yes, but it's expensive. The HK MK23 has a very larger trigger guard.

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss106/hkaks/hk-mk23-1.jpg
photo borrowed from photobucket

Shadow 7D
November 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Let me know when to meet you at Birchwood, and you can try my CZ82

JTQ
November 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
The CZ P-07 has a large trigger guard opening.

W.E.G.
November 12, 2012, 10:58 PM
If it takes more than a second to remove your glove, your gloves are too tight.

"If the glove's too tight, you won't win the fight."

Ehtereon11B
November 13, 2012, 01:58 AM
The USP is a great example of large oversized trigger guards to accommodate gloves. My Walther P99 is the same way. Those Germans might be up to something, since it gets chilly there in the winter.

tarosean
November 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
1st Gen Walther P99 had a fairly large trigger guard..

Cosmoline
November 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks! I'm going to do a gloves-on test at the shop next time I'm there. That Mk23 looks ideal. Not for the wallet though!! I looked it up and suddenly understood the question "why does H&K hate us?"

usp9
November 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
...and suddenly understood the question "why does H&K hate us?"

Why do Les Baer, springfield, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown hate us? Dollar for dollar the HK is actually a pretty good deal when compared to other .45s with equal accuracy.

Cosmoline
November 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but these are over two grand! Nice pistols, but still. That's just intentional cruelty ;-)

I just had a brainstorm--get a security six trigger guard and have it bent to shape, with a corresponding straightening of the trigger. Pop that in and see how it does. I suppose the other option would be to remove the front of the guard entirely, though that raises some safety issues.

DAP90
November 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
The Ruger SR9 and SR9c supposedly have oversized trigger guards. I haven’t tried gloves with mine yet but I’ll go get it and let you know.

For gloves, I’ve used Hotfingers gloves for shotgun hunting and never had any problems. I’ve never tried them at -20 though. They might not be up to the task.

http://www.hotfingersgloves.com/products/productdetail/SHOOTING+GLOVE/part_number=H604/454.1.1.1.1005116.0.0.0.0?pp=12&

Edit: Can't find the gloves but for the SR9c, maybe, with the right gloves. The trigger guard is somewhat over-sized.

wanderinwalker
November 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
Glock is your friend if it's that cold. I find even light fleece gloves can get bound up in my DA S&Ws, you get one shot then you have to deglove, get the glove out of the trigger and try again. My hands can't take much under about 30* or so without warming but I'll shoot to the single-digits.

As for "buck up", if you grab metal that's cold enough you'll wish you had gloves on! (Made that mistake with a gas station air house once when it was around 0*. Took weeks before feeling in my hand was normal again.)

Rexster
November 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Well, of the big three DA makers, Colt, S&W, and Ruger, I believe that Rugers have triggers that are the least likely to snag the glove's fabric, which would prevent the trigger from returning. Colts, or at least the ones I have seen, are most likely to snag.

Really, though, a good single-action sixgun is a good glove gun, because the reset is so short, and the act of thumbing the hammer forces the reset to happen. I wish my chief would allow me to use an SA for offficial purposes during extremely cold weather. (I would likely use my Ruger Bisley, as it is safe to carry with all six chambers loaded, and has a transfer bar safety.) My aging, bony fingers and hands can really ache in the cold, so I like gloves, though fortunately, cold snaps are short here along the Texas Gulf Coast.

November 14, 2012, 01:42 AM
HK makes their trigger guards oversized to accomodate gloves.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Heckler%20Koch/USP002.jpg

Yeah, there's a reason I carry my USP45 in the wintertime. :D

FIVETWOSEVEN
November 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
Yes, but it's expensive. The HK MK23 has a very larger trigger guard.

That large trigger guard looks like the gun is SAO. ;)

Cosmoline
November 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
The solution may have just dawned on me. GUN POGIES! Gloves built around the grip, with the trigger inside. There are obvious issues of clearance involved, but I'm going to fiddle with some options in the next few months. Ideally they'll function like the pogies do on bikes.

Nushif
November 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ungloved, my hands start losing feeling around 40 degrees.

O.o No to nitpick, but you may wanna get that looked at. My wife has Reinauld's Syndrome(sp?) and has that. While I (a lover of the warm climes) don't have that problem.

usp9
November 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
That large trigger guard looks like the gun is SAO.

The trigger is a DA/SA. The trigger guard is that large because it was one of the requirements that special forces folks wanted on the pistol when they approached HK to build it for them. Navy Seals wear gloves, therefore the trigger guard was designed to fit what apparrel they used. HK has incorporated the large trigger in their subsequent models, such as the USP shown.

MJD
November 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
No offense taken...Raynad's is exactly what it is. Love the cold weather, just have to take extra care to have the correct sock/glove for the conditions.

tekarra
November 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
cZ P07 or P09.

Cosmoline
November 25, 2012, 12:00 AM
I used a cheap wool glove as a prototype pogie. Unfortunately I was shooting the single action today which isn't the best one for the design.

I found the steel remained too cold for bare skin inside the pogie. However with a plastic frame I suspect this would not be the case. A pogie that strapped in place around the grip and trigger guard and incorporated a bottom hole for the magazines would work very well for prolonged shooting in deep cold. Obviously if it's above single digits standard gloves or no gloves are fine.

I may dig up a plastic semi this winter to practice with.

Here's multi-time Iditasport champ Pete Bassinger using the bicycle variety:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/alaska-fat-biker-peter-basinger-leads-iditarod-invitational-mcgrath

(Yes these dudes race on the Iditarod trail on bicycles in the middle of winter. For basically no prize money and the real prospect of lost toes.)

Serenity
November 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
As someone who has worked outside in the north for years; keeping your hands moisturized helps IMMENSELY with that deep finger ache that cold causes. I can't explain why, but at the dairy we all started using a good hand lotion and it helped a lot. We were forever getting our hands wet in the cold and they would dry out and ache like hell.

Old Fuff
November 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
anyone else waiting for Old Fuff to post a picture of a snubbie without a trigger guard?

A Fitz trigger guard conversion might work, but it would depend on the glove.

Another way was employed by Ed. Mcgivern, who took an N-frame S&W .38-44 Heavy Duty .38, cut away the front of the guard, and then had a larger loop welded on in its place. Looked awful! But I think it would work with any glove.

I have seen instances where the entire guard was cut away so that the user could get two fingers on the trigger. With a 10 to 12 pound DA trigger pull the guard isn't really necessary if the trigger is covered by a holster, and when drawing the user keeps his/her trigger finger where it's supposed to be.

I will start a conversation... :evil:

Cosmoline
November 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
Serenity--you're right moisturizer is essential. It also keeps your skin from cracking open in the deep cold.

I've never thought of removing the entire trigger guard!

targetshooter22
November 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
My CZ-75 and Ruger GP100 have pretty big trigger guards. Had no problem using a gloved hand to put down a deer this year with the GP100....

Also, there are some pretty high-tech gloves at REI or Cabelas that still allow for some pretty good manual dexterity while keeping warm and protected from wind. Might be worth the higher cost than a mart-mart special...

NG VI
November 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
I was going to mention the USP as well, the compacts have a slightly smaller trigger guard, but the fullsize versions have a guard so big you could work with it just fine with any realistic set of gloves.

Shadow 7D
November 27, 2012, 04:27 AM
Cosmo, they make snowmachine gloves??? that are like a mit on the outside, but have individual trigger finger, warm enough in a fist, but able to use the first finger and thumb....

Cosmoline
November 27, 2012, 04:34 AM
I'll have to check those out. I usually get my gloves from the usual winter outfitters not the snow machine shops.

Shadow 7D
November 27, 2012, 04:40 AM
Hey, if you ever want to get together and swap pistols, let me know where and when
I usually keep a thin glove and a thick over glove

also, consider wearing surgical gloves/nitrile gloves inside your gloves (the old bread bag trick), they cut the wind and prevent evaporation.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best HG With Gloves in Winter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!