Next step

PDA

bikemutt
November 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
This is a hypothetical question. Let's say a rifle is advertised in-state, private sale, as having a 16" barrel then, after purchase it's determined to short of that mark, not by much, but short. What would the experts do?

If you enjoyed reading about "Next step" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
smalls
November 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Technically, you must turn it in as being an illegal non registered NFA item.

Realistically, you chuck the barrel in the garbage and order a new, legal length one.

floorit76
November 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Drop it at your gunsmith. Have him order a barrel.

smalls
November 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
Drop it at your gunsmith. Have him order a barrel.

I doubt your gunsmith is going to want any part of having an illegal gun in his shop.

floorit76
November 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
It happens. Same as a worn sear going full auto. If you are making a good faith attempt to fix it, I doubt there will be issues. Besides, if it's so close to legal noone noticed, why would the gunsmith?

smalls
November 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
There's a difference between your gun breaking, and going full auto, and someone intentionally cutting a barrel, and chopping too much off.

But you're right, I doubt he'll notice, either. Still doesn't make it legal.

And for clarification, my barrel in the trash statement was tongue in cheek, not serious advice, because that would be illegal.

floorit76
November 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Btw, have you researched exactly where you should be measuring from? Seems there can be a bit of confusion, that on a short barrel, can make it appear illegal.

Ramone
November 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
The BATF measures from the bolt face - Close the bolt, insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle till it bottoms on the bolt, mark the rod at the muzzle, withdraw and measure.

In a situation as in the OP, *I* would have a muzzle device (Comp, Brake, Flash Hider, Whatever) welded on to make a legal length.

DMF
November 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
Options:

1- Abandon it to ATF to avoid prosecution.

2- Keep it and risk prosecution.

Choose.

hermannr
November 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
I had a pistol that had a worn sear, it would go full auto...all I did was repair it...I see no problem there. Simple, replace the warn part.

As to a rifle that has a >16" barrel? Option 1...add a flash suppressor/ compensator. Option 2: New barrel. Option 3: Turn it in to a buntline special..:)

bikemutt
November 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
It's all good, thanks for the tips!

medalguy
November 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Another possible option, go back to the seller and demand a refund since the trfansfer was illegal to you. If not possible, see above #10 response. ^^^

oneounceload
November 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Have your smith weld a muzzle break on

Owen Sparks
November 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
Having a short barrel alone would not be a crime. If you are able to get it off, you could simply take the barrel by itself and have some sort of extention welded on it and then go back assemble your new legal firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next step" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!