What to do with dud rounds?

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
November 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
A few weeks ago I was shooting a .22. I had a round that wouldn't feed into the chamber, neither would the next one. Eventually I had seven good rounds that had been bent and couldn't be fired before I realized that there was still a round chambered, and that was why the others wouldn't go in.

They've been sitting around, mostly because I don't know what to do with them. Is it safe to just throw them away?

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with dud rounds?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M-Cameron
November 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
if your range doesnt have a 'Dud box', most police stations should be able to dispose of them.

MedWheeler
November 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Drop 'em in a pail of water and let 'em soak for a few days, then toss 'em. You can even pull the bullets after the soak if you want. I don't recommend this for centerfire ammunition, though; they're pretty watertight. Those can go to the PD or range if they'll take 'em.

Sport45
November 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
I usually grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and bend/wiggle it the rest of the way out. Then you can just toss everything in the trash if you don't recycle lead or brass.

For fun you can dump the powder from one on top of the powder in another to pretty much fill the case. Set it on the driveway and light it. When the powder sizzles down to the primer it will pop.

ghitch75
November 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
under my picnic table.....

ccsniper
November 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
I keep them, might one day make some sort of art out of em

TennJed
November 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
I hope what I do is ok. I sling them in the Pond.

solvability
November 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
I put them in a huge glass jar near the fireplace.:neener:

GoWolfpack
November 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
I use the lead for plumbing solder.....

Or, just throw them in the garbage.

Twmaster
November 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
I had 5 duds yesterday out of a Federal bulk pack. Pulled the bullets and dumped the tiny bit of powder out in the yard. Soaked the cases in water to be sure the primer was dead.

The brass and bullets are now in my recycling bins.

RaceM
November 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
I pull the bullets and dump 'em in my lead stash for casting round ball. The powder gets saved (never know when it might come in handy), and the brass stored in an old plastic ammo box for firing pin testing (or just plain noise making).

Sport45
November 12, 2012, 02:43 AM
Soaked the cases in water to be sure the primer was dead.

When they dry out they probably won't be dead anymore.

chevyman097
November 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
Like others, pull the bullet, dump the powder, dispose of rest.

bobinoregon
November 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
I usually just run them back through the gun unless they are too damaged. A lot of times hitting the primer in a different spot makes them work.

Trent
November 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
I had a box of 300 Win Mag (primed, but empty) in the garage at an old rental house we stayed at. Didn't have room to set up my reloading gear so it was all boxed up and stored out there. The garage floor had a crack that ran clear through, from front to back. (Having a slum lord as a landlord at the time (I was in my 20's), the place was pretty run down.)

Anyway termites got in to the box of primed 300 win mag brass. They built themselves a nice little fort. I had a lot of cases - primed - that were clogged with dried clay. Didn't hurt the brass but I sure as heck couldn't reload them.

They washed up nice. But I didn't trust the primers after scrubbing the dirt out / off of them. I didn't want to run them through the sizing die primed, to decap them, So I filled a tray with water about 4" deep, and arranged the brass primer side down with the mouth up. Zero air in them. Let them soak for several days (noticed them discoloring after a while.. maybe a week?).

Dried them out. Put one in to my 300 win mag, aimed at a wall, dropped the hammer.. BANG.

I'd soaked the primed casings for almost a week in water. No bullet to seal the insides. No air whatsoever in the cases.

EVERY LAST ONE OF THE 100 PRIMED CASES FIRED.

oneounceload
November 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
You could always hit them with a hammer in your driveway, or toss them in the BBQ fire pit

THAT will get everyone's attention... :D

It really is no big deal, throw them away, they'll get buried in some mega-landfill and some young archeologist 100 years from now can dig them up

homatok
November 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
Just pull/wiggle the bullets out, dump the powder on the lawn and fire the empty case in your gun--- unless it is so badly bent it still won't go in. If thats the case (no pun intended) just throw the empty, primed case in the trash.

Noah
November 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
Pull out the bullet, dump the powder in a paper cup, put an old broken action figure into it, and light it. No lie. We were bored...

aarondhgraham
November 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
That my rifle and pistol club doesn't have a dud-bucket.

Go to any position on the firing line and look down,,,
You will be able to spot at least a half dozen dud .22 rounds.

I was asked if I would like to volunteer to mow the grass one day,,,
I told them I would do whatever work is required of me,,,
Except run a power mower over that grass.

A range I frequented in California had a 55 gallon drum,,,
It was half full of old motor oil with a pipe sticking out of the top.

I was told that the oil would penetrate the crimp of the cartridge,,,
And would render the propellent inert better than water.

I really don't know if a rimfire round could go off by being stepped on,,,
But I think it's absolutely moronic to toss duds into the grass,,,
But the powers that be don't agree so I just shut up.

On the rare occasion I have a dud,,,
I pull the bullet and dump the powder out.

Aarond

youngda9
November 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
If it is a .22, pull bullet and toss into lead pot. Toss the rest in the trash.

If centerfire round, pull bullet and reload.

Gaffer
November 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
The powder is good as a fertilizer, so put the powder on your tomatoes.

ObsidianOne
November 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
That my rifle and pistol club doesn't have a dud-bucket.

Go to any position on the firing line and look down,,,
You will be able to spot at least a half dozen dud .22 rounds.

I was asked if I would like to volunteer to mow the grass one day,,,
I told them I would do whatever work is required of me,,,
Except run a power mower over that grass.

I was told that the oil would penetrate the crimp of the cartridge,,,
And would render the propellent inert better than water.

On the rare occasion I have a dud,,,
I pull the bullet and dump the powder out.

Aarond

They're saying to toss the powder on the grass, not the whole round.

Powder makes great fertilizer.

Sport45
November 13, 2012, 08:28 PM

Wow. They soak their duds in a suspected carcinogen? Not whaI I expected from Californians.

If I had a barrel full of duds to get rid of (not soaked in anything) I'd probably just put on heavy gloves and eye protection then grab the bullet end with a pair of pliers and cut the brass cases below the bullet on a bandsaw. Steel cases would probably be set aside for the impact puller.

I wouldn't worry about saving the cases as brass sells by the pound. The case necks will float to the top when melting the bullets.

W.E.G.
November 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Lose them in the tall grass next to the creek that always floods.

TrueTexan
November 14, 2012, 09:12 PM

Aarond

Depends on what shoe your wearing. In High School I wa on the ROTC rifle team shooting 22LR. This was way back when we had guns at school. After shooting one morning and sweeping up the brass and throwing it away, somehow a live round got left on the floor. Well the drill team commander came on the range wearing the leather combat boots of the time with heel taps. He stepped on the round and it went off with a loud pop. He jumped like he had been shot. The case was ruptured but the bullet was still attached just flattened .

r1derbike
November 15, 2012, 01:19 AM
I had my first high primer strike FTF in over 900 rounds at the range, with the XD-S. My fault (did not return to battery) as I was fatigued and grip loose for the shot. I pointed downrange for 30 secs., racked to remove it, kept firing, loaded it back up in another magazine and it went bang second time.

Don't own a .22, but it is next on the list; maybe a Ruger 10-22 or something equivalent.

T.R.
November 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
I suggest toss 'em into a creek or lake.

TR

beatledog7
November 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Buy a bucket of range brass and you'll usually find two things other than spent brass:

1) rounds in which the primer was struck but didn't ignite, referred to in this thread and generally as "duds."

The usual wisdom is that when you have a dud round you should keep the firearm pointed downrange for about 20 seconds to ensure it's not gonna prove to be a hang fire, then eject the round and deposit it into the dud box. Every range ought to have one, so if yours doesn't, talk to the RSO about getting one. Or you could try again to fire it. When I find duds, I pull them and recycle the components.

2) rounds that seem to have not been struck at all, which could be misfeeds, double racks, or simply dropped rounds.

It's surprising to me how many of these unstruck rounds hit the range floor and just get tossed into brass bucket. I don't try to fire them because I have no idea whether they're factory rounds that may have been chambered a dozen times or someone's double charged or uncharged handloads. Nor do I pull them. They just get marked as unshootable and sit in a row on top of a bookcase, next to my reloading "lesson learned" rounds, among my military awards and such. Maybe I will pull them some day.

aarondhgraham
November 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
They're saying to toss the powder on the grass, not the whole round.

Nope, the powers that be at my range don't want a dud bucket,,,
Their official stance is, what would they do when the bucket got full?

Officially they have no written policy on duds,,,
Unofficially they say just toss it in the grass in front of the firing line.

That's why I won't mow grass when work day comes around.

Aarond

j1
November 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Toss them in your neighbors burn barrel when he is not looking. LOL

GoWolfpack
November 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
You guys should really learn to relax more. Life's hard enough without sweating this kind of stuff. Maybe watch Mythbusters or something.

1hobie
November 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
You guys should really learn to relax more. Life's hard enough without sweating this kind of stuff. Maybe watch Mythbusters or something.
+1
.22 duds are little bitty noisemakers if they go off un-chambered. The cartridge will travel farther than the round.
I just toss them in my range kit and eventually throw them away in the trash. I do try to fire them again after the first mis-fire and 80% of the time they go bang the second time. Just pay attention to squibs.
Hobie

JohnBiltz
November 16, 2012, 04:56 AM
I just throw them away in the trash. Any aerosol can is much more dangerous and you probably toss them away without thinking.

MaterDei
November 16, 2012, 05:12 AM
I trash them too. I used to have a lot but have changes to better 22 ammo and don't have them too often anymore.

mr.trooper
November 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Hammer type bullet pullers are cheap. I keep the brass and bullet, throw away the powder and primer.

Sav .250
November 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Throw them away? There still a live round. Not only foolish but dangerous.

smalls
November 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm sure people have been throwing away duds since the self contained cartridge was invented, and I've never heard of anything happening. Have you?

P5 Guy
November 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Rimfire, rotate them and try again.
Centerfire, take them apart when I get home. Boxer primed get reloaded, Berdan primed get tossed, bullet goes into reloads.
I'm not wasting them, I've gone GREEN.:neener:

JohnBiltz
November 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
Nonsense, If you say tossed one in the fire the lead bullet is not going to go anywhere, the brass might fly some but it has no weight. Compared to tossing an aerosol can in the fire its nothing. That can will explode.

mgmorden
November 16, 2012, 05:00 PM

As stated, this is more an imagined danger than anything. A bullet needs a barrel and chamber to develop velocity. Without it the propellant just leaks out into a very large space with little time to push the projectile up to speed.

If you want to save the bullet then pull it and do so, but there's nothing wrong with just throwing them away.

Esoxchaser
November 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
We use the duds as targets.

bobinoregon
November 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
It's a dud bullet, not a nuclear missile. either stick it in your pocket or toss it in the trash if you don't save lead and brass. The world won't end.

MaterDei
November 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
It's a dud bullet, not a nuclear missile.
LOL

Hokkmike
November 21, 2012, 08:28 AM
There is a special "inertia" hammer used to remove bullets from unfired loaded cases. My friend and I used it to "disassemble" some reloads. A little unnerving whacking the hammer on a hard surface with a bullet in it but it works!

DanTheFarmer
November 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
As a kid I always dropped my 22 duds down a woodchuck hole. Ole' Woody would undoubtedly bite into the shiny object and blow his head clean off!

Yeah, even then I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen but putting a few duds several feet into the earth seemed a pretty safe way of getting rid of them.

Dan

smallbore
November 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
I give them to one of my shooting buddies. He recycles the components.

Millwright
November 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
>Rant mode on

Most of this thread reads like a Josh Sugarman idyl ! It seems the "antis" have taken "control of the debate" in a very big way ! The topic involves no exotic or nefarious, of even sensitive, devices/technology, yet some are insisting the PD needs must be involved ! No doubt they'll also be the first decry further enacted government intrusion in firearms/accessories they've invited with their foolish demands !

IOW, put your "big boy britches" on, man up, learn how to deal with the occasional kerfluffle you'll encounter in a safe and environmentally sound way.

>Rant mode off

Seriously, .22 RF are soft lead heeled bullets and can be easily pulled. Often with only your fingers. Capture the powder and put it on the grass; or other house plants you're fond of, its good fertilizer ! If you feel so inclined, the easiest way to inert the priming compound is to hit it with any POL compound, say WD-40, gasoline, kerosene, etc. BTW, same goes for CF rounds/primers.

Modern ammunition/components are extremely reliable and stabile. As owners/possessors/users its our responsibility to deal with them safely; not ship the responsibility off to the local PD. This road leads to further controls and eventual confiscation. Why ? You're sending the PTB a very clear message you aren't capable of safely handling this (very safe) level of technology ! >MW

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with dud rounds?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!