Browning Over/Under ID

PDA

heathkiks
November 11, 2012, 11:58 PM
I acquired this gun quite a while ago and never gave it much thought at to what is acutally is (I'm not a shotgun guy).

I did the google thing and I couldn't come up with much.

Thanks in advance

Serial number: L13PZ02XXX

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx172/tenth1/photo.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx172/tenth1/photo1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Over/Under ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
single stack
November 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
From what I've read L13 is a 12 ga. 2 3/4" 802 ES Sporter.
PZ = 1981.

Your shotgun seems different from most Browning Citoris.
I see no forearm latch.

Axel Larson
November 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
That is strange, even my superposed has a forearm latch, maybe not all did?

Jim Watson
November 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Might it be the B26 "Liege" instead of a Citori?
I found pictures of one of those without an external foreend latch.

heathkiks
November 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Did a little more research...

I believe it to be a B27, made in Belgium. I'm not sure what they called it, Liege, Superpose, Citori?

Rembrandt
November 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
What you have is the B-26 "Liege" transition shotgun Browning developed as an economic alternative to the Superposed....produced only a few years, (1973-1975) made in Belgium. Approximately 10,000 were produced in 12 & 20 gauge. It is the predecessor to the Citori which would be produced in Japan starting in 1973. Browning also offered the "Grand Liege" which had a grayed receiver with Bolino engraving.

I have perhaps the only known Grand Liege with a 4 barrel set, each barrel configuration offered at the time. Beautiful shotgun, much lighter than the Superposed. Forearm is completely detachable with a finger release button in the end of the Schnabel fore arm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Liegeset5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Liegeset4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Engraving1.jpg

heathkiks
November 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful set there.

How do you explain the made in 1981 serial number? All else (minus being a Grand), it is identical to yours.

single stack
November 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Rembrandt has a fantastic B26. His serial number is likely (year)J#.
It likely has a button under the forearm.
I believe your shotgun is a later model.
Maybe the 802 is also referred to as a B27,
I don't know.
I'll guess that you've got a FN manufactured
Citori as opposed a Miroku Citori.
Pretty cool, if my guess is correct.

Rembrandt
November 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
Got the manufacturing dates from Matt Eastman's book "Browning - Sporting Arms of Distinction". It's possible the author got the manufacture dates wrong or it's a misprint. Wouldn't be the first time these reference books contain errors. Bought mine in the mid 80's.....serial number is L13P203XXX, very similar to yours.

single stack
November 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
From the Browning website:

Leige Over/Under Shotgun
The Leige Over/Under Shotgun was introduced to the U.S. market in 1973 and discontinued in the U.S. in 1975. This shotgun is still being produced, but sold through Browning International in Belgium.

To find your serial number, you will need to refer to your owner's manual. We have most owner's manuals online. You can go to those by clicking here.

Date Historic Information Serial Number Info
1973-75 In 1969 Browningstarted using two digits for the date of manufacture:
J=12 gauge
K=20 gauge
This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 1000.
Example: 69J1000 = A 1969 Leige 12 ga. shotgun with a serial number of 1000. J=12 gauge
K=20 gauge

single stack
November 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken you both have Citori I guns manufactured in Belgium
and marketed under the model name Liege. Citori II are then solely
manufactured in Japan. Again, I think that's cool.

My Dad brought a gun back from Europe but it was a long time ago.
Funny thing, it is a Winchester he got at a sporting goods show in Garmish.
Do you know how yours got stateside?

Jim Watson
November 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
As I recall from old gunzines, the Liege is not just a Citori manufactured in Belgium. It is mechanically different and not just in the foreend latch.

The Citori is a Miroku product through and through. They were making the type for Charles Daly before the Browning connection.
Others, too. I have a shotgun marked "Anschutz-Miroku" that differs from a Citori only in that marking and a lack of engraving. The action is the same as a Citori that I used to own every way I can tell short of disassembly.

Rembrandt
November 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
I still have the original box, it's marked B-26....going by that and what Eastman's book states, it's a Liege.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Over/Under ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!